Using Oceania air - does it have advantages?

Tansy Mews

I am considering requesting an air deviation. It might not work but that's another story!

My question - is there any advantage to booking air through Oceania? If Oceania cancels a sailing, does it protect my money? If I didn't book through Oceania, I would be booking the cheapest ticket I can which will have stiff penalties for changes or cancellation. We haven't got to final payment date yet but I want to get this sorted out while prices look good! Any opinions? Any stories to share? Would we be advised to take the money from Oceania and book the flights ourselves? Does the deviation mean that Oceania would give us no support if they changed things for us? Am I being overly anxious?!!

BTW, we do have the usual cancellation insurance on our travel.

I am considering requesting an air deviation. It might not work but that's another story!

My question - is there any advantage to booking air through Oceania? If Oceania cancels a sailing, does it protect my money? If I didn't book through Oceania, I would be booking the cheapest ticket I can which will have stiff penalties for changes or cancellation. We haven't got to final payment date yet but I want to get this sorted out while prices look good! Any opinions? Any stories to share? Would we be advised to take the money from Oceania and book the flights ourselves?

BTW, we do have the usual cancellation insurance on our travel.

The very first thing that you will want to do is to check to see what the monetary allowance is for not using Oceania Air for your particular voyage.

I've discovered using O's air is sometimes less expensive than if I do it myself, sometimes more expensive (I've done my own air one of the last four cruises with O). Absolutely, check what O's air allowance is before you begin your search. Then check out what itineraries and fares are available to book on your own. The $150 pp air deviation charged by O only applies if you accept their proposed itinerary. If you do not like what your first offer is, you're free to ask for specific itineraries, but understand that if there is any fare differential, you will be charged that difference as well. Depending on how far out you book your airfares, and you use air miles, credit card points, etc. - if you have to cancel the cruise (illness, work issues, etc.) you will lose a significant amount of those too.

If you use O's air, with the air deviation, and you have to cancel the trip before final payment, you only lose the $150 pp (plus any differential you may have had to pay to get your preferred itinerary). If you book your own air and cancel, you may lose significantly more. You have to put in the work up front to determine which is your best option for that specific cruise.

And if your O-booked flights are changed by the airlines to a point you need help, O will assist you whether you've used the air deviation or not.

Just completed our air deviation from New Orleans to Tahiti and the return, knowing New Orleans is not the easiest city to fly around the country/world from, with limited flights and few available non-stops.

Requested and received exact flights that would add to our cruise experience, along with terrific seat assignments....and best of all NO upcharge, only the deviation fee.

Thanks air department....much appreciated.

Mike

I took the air credit and did not do the deviation from Hawaii because the Oceania route Honolulu to Tahiti was 5.5 hours to LA, then a long layover and a 9 hour flight to Tahiti on a very tight 31 inch pitch plane.

Rather for $185 pp more I could book my own direct flight Kona to Tahiti a short 5.5 hour flight that saved me some 19 to 20 hours for travel through 4 time zones.:rolleyes: and for another $900 could get reserved first class seats

Seems I replied before reading all the other posts about the deviation fees. See my above. We could fly out of N. O. or Baton Rouge, but no real difference in price, so chose BR. Assume that is why our deviation fees are higher than some of the others posted. Checked all airlines and Delta seemed to have the best. We fly out of BR abt. 10:45 am to Atlanta and then to Rome with only a 3 hr. layover in Atlanta, which gives time to have lunch before the flight to Rome and arriving at 7:30 am (day later because of time change). Coming home from Venice, Oceania had us leaving at 6:00 am when the ship didn't even dock until 8:00. Have a flight out at 12:35, layover in Paris of about three hours, then to Houston (1 hr.+) and on to BR about 10:20 pm. Not too bad, as Oceania had us a layover of 6 hrs. in Amsterdam or Germany and still two more stops. Oceania was a take it or leave it deal, no more options.

Our flight to Sydney, Australia and back from Auckland, NZ was arranged thru Princess and our TA. Very smooth and a minor deviation fee. Worked with us on the times as we stayed a night in Sydney and a night in San Fran. on way back.

I guess it depends on where you are flying out of as to the cost.

O will let you mix airlines. We have twice been able to take nonstop flights to and from Miami using one airline over and a another from a different alliance back. The difference in airfare has been $100 or free, so the only extra has been the deviation fee. Purchasing such flights on our own would have cost much more.

I'm on an Oceania cruise in February, and want to go nonstop from NYC to Miami. I've found fares in my own less than what Oceania will pay ($300+ $150 deviation pp.) But I like the idea that Oceania will help reschedule if my flight booked through them is cancelled.

My question is - if the flight offered leaves too early in the morning for my liking, will I have to pay another $150 pp to get offered a later flight?

Harry

• 1 month later...

My apologies for these newbie questions about the free air option:

1. Can I decide whether to accept the free air or take the air allowance AFTER Oceania has told me what the air routing and details are?

2. If I do not like their initial proposal, my option is to A) take the air allowance and book the flights myself, or B) pay the $150 per person deviation fee and give Oceania my flight preferences.

3. In case of 2B above, if Oceania comes back with too high a fare differential, can I work with them to come up with other alternatives without having to pay the $150 fee again?

4. Once the alternate booking has been booked, if subsequently I need to make a change, will I need to pay the $150 (plus fare differential) again? If the new fare is lower, will I be reimbursed for the difference?

Thanks!

It's good for some people, not so good for others.

Rick

For us in Hawaii...it works in spades. example: 10 day Miami cruise from Hawaii. Best fare coach from HNL to MIA 1150 rt Oceana air credit $350 That's a saving of $800pp.

Or, on a 34 day cruise, Tahiti to NY flying from HNL returning NY $ 4780pp best coach, Oceana cruise air credit $900 $save $3880 pp taking the cruies air

Be advised that the contract air fares that Oceana has are in many cases not upgradeable either with miles or cash to the airline.

If you elect to take credit and book your own here is another Cruise Tokyo to Lisbon start and return Honolulu air credit $2000pp

Air fare Business $10,350.00 Coach: $2930. Miles needed non saver: C/ 205K ual, ($7175 value- 2000 credit=$ 5175 for a 10K ticket !!!

coach 120K =$ 4200 value-2000 =2200. Or using mileage for coach rather than taking the ship credit, you spent $200 more doing it on your own in coach.

I consider, unlike some that each mile I get has a real cash value and how I spend then is important as I don't want to spend more miles value than than I could buy.!

Getting a coach ticket using miles Hawaii to LA is 40,000.. worth 1400.00.... for a $586 ticket....NO

1. Can I decide whether to accept the free air or take the air allowance AFTER Oceania has told me what the air routing and details are?

2. If I do not like their initial proposal, my option is to A) take the air allowance and book the flights myself, or B) pay the $150 per person deviation fee and give Oceania my flight preferences.

3. In case of 2B above, if Oceania comes back with too high a fare differential, can I work with them to come up with other alternatives without having to pay the $150 fee again?

4. Once the alternate booking has been booked, if subsequently I need to make a change, will I need to pay the $150 (plus fare differential) again? If the new fare is lower, will I be reimbursed for the difference?

Thanks!

no need for you to ask for an apology! We are all here to help!!! I know there are many members...more qualified than I am to answer you...but I don't want anyone...on CC...to ever feel you need to ask for an apology...when you ask questions!!! That isn't the way CC should work!!! LuAnn

I'd like to add that this week Oceania offered their flight deviation itinerary waiving the $150 pp fee, but I found better flights in my own so declined..it's 4 months prior to the cruise, so next time I'll make an earlier request..

Harry

I'd like to add that this week Oceania offered their flight deviation itinerary waiving the $150 pp fee, but I found better flights in my own so declined..it's 4 months prior to the cruise, so next time I'll make an earlier request..

Harry

Is this for our cruise only?

Thanks!

1. you will not find out the flights on the included air until just after final payment. Too late IMHO to start looking for alternate flights. Airlines have cut back on the number of flights so book up sooner and more often so you might find that only suitable flight will incur an air fare up-charge in addition to the $300 per couple deviation fee (which is O's admin fee)

2 and 3

If you don't like what they offer ask them to try again. Tell them why -you want something cheaper, too early leaving, too late arrival, want a day sooner, too many stopovers, too long a layover, too tight for a transfer, whatever. Give them more info to work with to make you happy.

Or you can tell them a specific routing and see what they propose . They might say they do not have contracts with that airline or the surcharge is more than that you want to pay or they may get you exactly what you want for no up charge.

You only pay the $150 pp if you accept the proposal within the time period allowed (48 hours I believe) BUT I understand if they can get exactly your specific request if you do give them one at no up-charge it is a done deal. I have no personal experience with that though I cannot understand why they would not just go ahead and book it as that is what you asked for.

Simplest thing is just to ask for something different. That is also why you want to start the process early so there are more choices available and you have more time to make requests

4A. yes, it is a fee for their work. 4B. sorry, don't know. I assume it would be refunded. The admin fee is not refunded even if you cancel the cruise (the custom work they did for you has been done even if you do not complete.)

As others have suggested find out what they are offering for an air credit and start looking for flights so you know what is available and their cost. Then ask O for a deviation request. Start early and enjoy. It should not be a stressful process if you have some time and know what to expect.

I'll just add we have had very good results working with our TA & O's air department though we have not used them for the last couple of cruises.

Thanks!

#1. Yes. But as YoHoHo stated, it's probably too late to find better flight/price own your own by that time.:(

#2. Yes.

#3. Yes.

#4. This would be an unusual request. Why would you change a flight that you were happy with? Don't know the answer, but would think that you would need to pay the $150pp deviation again (because, you are, after all, deviating again from an assignment), and I would think no, you would not be reimbursed the difference if the fare is lower since presumably O would have already paid the differential amount over to the airline?

What you are really asking is if you can continue to "shop" fares once you have accepted a Routing from Oceania. :cool:

The answer is that you MAY, as long as the original tickets have not been purchased yet (tickets are typically purchased at Final Payment) but it would have to be a pretty good deal because once you have accepted a Route from Oceania, changing it triggers another Deviation Fee.

The Fare Differential is only collected at the time when Oceania buys the tickets,

so you would never be in a position where the differential is refunded.

1. you will not find out the flights on the included air until just after final payment. Too late IMHO to start looking for alternate flights. Airlines have cut back on the number of flights so book up sooner and more often so you might find that only suitable flight will incur an air fare up-charge in addition to the $300 per couple deviation fee (which is O's admin fee)

2 and 3

If you don't like what they offer ask them to try again. Tell them why -you want something cheaper, too early leaving, too late arrival, want a day sooner, too many stopovers, too long a layover, too tight for a transfer, whatever. Give them more info to work with to make you happy.

Or you can tell them a specific routing and see what they propose . They might say they do not have contracts with that airline or the surcharge is more than that you want to pay or they may get you exactly what you want for no up charge.

You only pay the $150 pp if you accept the proposal within the time period allowed (48 hours I believe) BUT I understand if they can get exactly your specific request if you do give them one at no up-charge it is a done deal. I have no personal experience with that though I cannot understand why they would not just go ahead and book it as that is what you asked for.

Simplest thing is just to ask for something different. That is also why you want to start the process early so there are more choices available and you have more time to make requests

4A. yes, it is a fee for their work. 4B. sorry, don't know. I assume it would be refunded. The admin fee is not refunded even if you cancel the cruise (the custom work they did for you has been done even if you do not complete.)

As others have suggested find out what they are offering for an air credit and start looking for flights so you know what is available and their cost. Then ask O for a deviation request. Start early and enjoy. It should not be a stressful process if you have some time and know what to expect.

I'll just add we have had very good results working with our TA & O's air department though we have not used them for the last couple of cruises.

#1. Yes. But as YoHoHo stated, it's probably too late to find better flight/price own your own by that time.:(

#2. Yes.

#3. Yes.

#4. This would be an unusual request. Why would you change a flight that you were happy with? Don't know the answer, but would think that you would need to pay the $150pp deviation again (because, you are, after all, deviating again from an assignment), and I would think no, you would not be reimbursed the difference if the fare is lower since presumably O would have already paid the differential amount over to the airline?

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that the flight info is not available until after final payment.

In my case, I'd like to use UA and its star alliance partners. Based on the first response above, I think I can request preferred carriers, along with date & time and routing, at the time of booking (prior to final payment) without incurring the deviation fee, correct? (If I understand correctly, that fee kicks in when I request changes after the flights have been booked.)

In my case, I'd like to use UA and its star alliance partners. Based on the first response above, I think I can request preferred carriers, along with date & time and routing, at the time of booking (prior to final payment) without incurring the deviation fee, correct? (If I understand correctly, that fee kicks in when I request changes after the flights have been booked.)

No ..if you request specific flights with specific carriers you WILL pay the deviation fee if you accept them

You may also pay an upcharge if Oceania has to pay more for your specific flights then their booking contract with bulk prices

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that the flight info is not available until after final payment.

Most definitely no. Anything before final payment incurs the deviation fee. This means you can request the exact flights you like but if it's available, you'll have to pay the deviation fee.

I know exactly where you're coming from because was in the same situation as you (and quite frustrated).

In the end, it's really a gamble.

You have to decide if you think that you'll be able to get a fare 75 days out from the cruise embarkation date that will be around the air credit plus the deviation fee if it turns out that the flight assignment isn't what you wanted (keeping in mind that the air credit has been pretty low for North America and Europe travel lately).

The other extreme is to book the deviation 270 days from when you want to fly and just pay the deviation fee and have peace of mind.

Hi,

I think what you need to know 1st of all is how much Oceania will reimburse you if you don't take their flights. Then you have to decide if you can find a flight for this amount or less. My experience, being from the North part of the West coast is NO. Airfares are high here but Toronto might "fare" better. We also do not like to plan to arrive at the last minute so we tend to book air deviations. On our Transatlantic there were too many stories of tight connections (sometimes weather related) and missed luggage. It's a shame to carefully plan what you're going to bring - clothes, books, binoculars... and find out you have to make do with oddments, even if you very cannily divide the contents of your suitcases! My last trip, I checked air schedules for my preferred flights, gave the details to Oceania and they booked what I requested. I joined my gf in Calgary and she did not have to pay anything extra even though it was not one of their "no up charge" cities.

Hope this helps. BTW check and triple check your bookings!!!

Mia

Archived