Diamond: Have I Gotten Less and Why

Not being a diamond member I can't really say... But the fact is that the newer ships have more amenities to cater to diamond members. How you perceive that is up to you; but I wouldn't let it bother me too much. They will be upgraded in time.

I just wish I was lucky enough to make it onto a cruise ship often enough to qualify for diamond status (with or without free drinks, peanuts and "STATUS") Edited by Blue Line

Ok, let me get this right.

OP is upset because they don't get a couple if free drinks on their cruise. Hummmmm

As a lowly Emerald lady here.......what's the big deal? You are on a great ship, exceptional crew, beautiful itinerary and you worry about free drinks and nuts?

I'm sorry. I honestly do not mean to be flip. I don't see the big trauma here. I'll gladly give you $50 if we ever meet on the Explorer or Quantum ( hometown ships ) if that helps.

This is the reason I chose Serenade TA over Navigator because Serenade has a dedicated Diamond Lounge and Navigator not.

... and here's me thinking "Wow, ending up in New Orleans sounds like more fun than Galveston."

Beer, here is a new take on your complaint.

cruisegirl1 is the first to bring up these facts on this thread; it's the first thing that *I* thought of when I started reading.

On the Majesty, which is never getting a DL, the SUITE guests, who frankly are entitled to more than a Diamond, get nothing. No Concierge Lounge, no free drinks, no hot & cold hors d'ouevres.

Diamonds are not being treated differently. Ships are different. Many people have pointed that out.

Your complaint has no merit.

I can't wait to join the many who have been the target of your witless barbs.

Fire away.

And Diamond Plus and Pinnacles. (she edited to add. ;))

Just getting back to this after joining the real world for a bit.

Quite a few of you accuse me of things which you either make an assumption or just plain try to put words in my mouth.

I honestly think many of you should go back and reread this thread as I have. I can only think that some of you may have a reading comprehension problem.

I 've not complained about anything other than being treated equally.

What happened in the past has no bearing on what goes on now.

As for your " witless barb " comment Mom, shame on you. Say's a lot about you doesn't it.

I've had enough of this and must agree with another poster who said this is why I don't read CC. This is my last post on this matter but I'm sure the likes of Mom will continue to bash me for a few pages more. Have at it. I'm sure it will make you feel somehow superior.

Thanks to the many who were able to see this thread and comprehend it, seeing that some are not treated equally and FOR NO GOOD REASON. BYE

Quite a few of you accuse me of things which you either make an assumption or just plain try to put words in my mouth.

I honestly think many of you should go back and reread this thread as I have. I can only think that some of you may have a reading comprehension problem.

As for your " witless barb " comment Mom, shame on you. Say's a lot about you doesn't it.

I've had enough of this and must agree with another poster who said this is why I don't read CC. This is my last post on this matter but I'm sure the likes of Mom will continue to bash me for a few pages more. Have at it. I'm sure it will make you feel somehow superior.

Thanks to the many who were able to see this thread and comprehend it, seeing that some are not treated equally and FOR NO GOOD REASON. BYE

No no no..... THIS is how you do it.

-with the help of this fun website!

http://margalite.webatu.com/goodbye.html

Just plug in your outrage and let the viewers decide! :D

no it isn't.

Why not? As I stated earlier, I've been in a bigger room for a Diamond Event, than many of the dedicated Diamond Lounges.

IMHO, it's very doable. If they can tote in the discounted drinks, they can tote in the free ones.

Maybe less snacks would be in order, but most of us know that we aren't there for the snackie things.

I have met some absolutely awesome fellow cruisers in the DL and at Diamond Events but I do have to say that the Events are far, far less populated than the DL.

Why not? As I stated earlier, I've been in a bigger room for a Diamond Event, than many of the dedicated Diamond Lounges.

IMHO, it's very doable. If they can tote in the discounted drinks, they can tote in the free ones.

Maybe less snacks would be in order, but most of us know that we aren't there for the snackie things.

I have met some absolutely awesome fellow cruisers in the DL and at Diamond Events but I do have to say that the Events are far, far less populated than the DL.

And, as stated earlier and repeatedly, all ships, except for the Majesty, will be getting a dedicated DL as well as a CL if it does not have one.

So the cries for equality among elite people who can cruise a lot has not fallen on deaf ears. It takes time to refit the ships.

Wait for it, and it will come.

Or you can cruise on ships that have a DL.

I'm not sure how to deal with claims for equality on an item that 1) is a perk that is given for free to people that 2) have a great job that can take a lot of cruise vacations or don't have job yet has enough money to cruise a lot.

This is a "thank you" gift from them to you. IMHO, if you complain about a gift to me, I will not give you one in the future. So the risk of them taking this FREE gift away is higher than trying to rush it onto the ships that will be getting it eventually.

Besides, some of us have to FLY to all of our cruises. how about some equality for us? That's a lot more than the cost of coctails.

Once again, your cries for equality and justice for the elite people that cruise a LOT has not fallen on deaf ears. RCI is addressing the injustice of your lack of equality and are refitting all of the ships so that you can enjoy the same free perks for cruising a lot on all of the ships. No more need to have a sit in during DE's, or crashing of CL's in flip flops wanting the MDR cops throw you out, and making the point of spending the nite in the jail.

Seriously- equality? For free stuff? Comprehension isn't a problem, its the belief that it matters that much.

C-Ya!

Edited by alfaeric

Seriously- equality? For free stuff? Comprehension isn't a problem, its the belief that it matters that much.

C-Ya!

Seriously, some of us are from an era where we worked very hard to bring "equality" to many aspects of American life. Because of the strong beliefs I developed in my youth, the "separate but equal" thing just doesn't fly with me.

I realize that the DL and DE are free and gifts from RCI, but to me, that's not what matters. What is important to me is that everyone within the class of loyalty receives the same benefits for reaching that level.

I hope you can understand that for some of us, it's a matter of principal.

I hope you can take that as seriously as I mean it.

BTW, the vast majority of my cruises have required air flights with most of them being overseas. We have one drive up port in Galveston and there is nothing on the itinerary we care to ever do again, so all of our future sailing will be far, far away.

Just wanted to present you with a "serious" reason that some of us have opinions about equality.

Seriously, some of us are from an era where we worked very hard to bring "equality" to many aspects of American life. Because of the strong beliefs I developed in my youth, the "separate but equal" thing just doesn't fly with me.

I realize that the DL and DE are free and gifts from RCI, but to me, that's not what matters. What is important to me is that everyone within the class of loyalty receives the same benefits for reaching that level.

Just wanted to present you with a "serious" reason that some of us have opinions about equality.

Until they install the DL's that are planned to make you feel equal, then I suggest a boycott of the events. Or just wait until you can have a DL. it's not as if this isn't being addressed.

And I shudder to think what people who fought for real equality think of this kind of "protest". geez. You really do a job on their efforts.... This isn't anywhere near real equality, IMHO. It's that you have to pay half price for drinks instead of getting them for free. whoo hoo. this isn't about voting rights, or segrigation, or allowing marriage, or anything like that, so please don't insult the people who actually work for real equality and try to bring this into that kind of wording. This is about being elite, and being treated like an elite person, consistently. Not equally, consistently.

You want to see equality, the bus that Rosa Parks sat on and got arrested on is here in SE Michigan at the Henry Ford Museum. that's about equality. Equality is more about the previous mayor of Detroit, Coleman Young, as a part of the Tuskegee Airmen, and still not being recognized for about 20 years after thier service as being an equal part of society. If you really fought for equality, IMHO, you would know better.

BTW, the vast majority of my cruises have required air flights with most of them being overseas. We have one drive up port in Galveston and there is nothing on the itinerary we care to ever do again, so all of our future sailing will be far, far away.

I'm from the same era, value equality, and there are still fights to be fought. But free snacks on a cruise ship don't equate to education! I can't even believe you'd imply that legal rights and the right to free food are at all similar. We have a CHOICE as to which ships we sail - no one is making you sail on a ship that doesn't yet have a DL and "only" gives you a diamond event with "substandard" snacks. You and Beer really have to examine your expectations.

I can't believe anyone would compare this situation to anything where people have fought for equality. Saying that complaining for a few free drinks and snacks is someone fighting for equality is absolutely ridiculous.

Imagine what people in countries with real issues would think of people that say they are fighting for equality over chips and booze.

Until they install the DL's that are planned to make you feel equal, then I suggest a boycott of the events. Or just wait until you can have a DL. it's not as if this isn't being addressed.

And I shudder to think what people who fought for real equality think of this kind of "protest". geez. You really do a job on their efforts.... This isn't anywhere near real equality, IMHO. It's that you have to pay half price for drinks instead of getting them for free. whoo hoo. this isn't about voting rights, or segrigation, or allowing marriage, or anything like that, so please don't insult the people who actually work for real equality and try to bring this into that kind of wording. This is about being elite, and being treated like an elite person, consistently. Not equally, consistently.

You want to see equality, the bus that Rosa Parks sat on and got arrested on is here in SE Michigan at the Henry Ford Museum. that's about equality. Equality is more about the previous mayor of Detroit, Coleman Young, as a part of the Tuskegee Airmen, and still not being recognized for about 20 years after thier service as being an equal part of society. If you really fought for equality, IMHO, you would know better.

Exactly!!!

This is petty nonsense, not a fight for equality.

like.png

We've yet to cruise on a ship with a DL but I've always wondered why, when the DE is being held in a venue with a full bar, the drinks aren't free? We do appreciate the discount but since everything is there, it really wouldn't be a problem to not charge......

I do not think a DL vs DE is as serious as other equality issues address by society over the years. In fact, not so long ago, no free drinks were offered on ships without a CL or DL. The DE was an addition to such a ship's offerings, not a subtraction.

As you fly to your cruises, you are picking from the full range of options. Presumably, you balance many factors like the timing, the itinerary, the ship, the air options, the departure port, the cabin availability and the price (and maybe more factors) as you select your cruise. As you weigh those many options, one of the "ship" factors is DL or DE. If you really, really want a DL, select a ship that has a DL. If other things are more important, accept the trade off and potentially go on a ship with a DE. You are making the choice; it is not being made for you.

If you pick to live in one house, your commute to work might be over smooth highways. If you pick a different house in a different location, your commute to work might be over rough back roads,at least until said roads are upgraded. Those are not equal, but trade-offs to consider when you make your selection.