puzzled by such negative comments about Oceania Riviera

atlantic cruiser

I've never been on Seabourn but have met a number of SB cruisers on Regent ships. As nice as they were, they were all Seabourn snobs--nitpicking everything they could find on Regent, looking down their noses, so to speak (but still having a good time for all that, and still friendly and enjoyable.) Don't know if this is a general thing--perhaps there is an SB equivalent to "Crystalization"?

I believe that there is.

We did not feel welcomed on SB (unlike on all of our Oceania and even Silversea cruises).

Just read some of the responses on the Seabourn thread about this review and you get an idea of how "unique, refined and fortunate" they feel to have their beloved SB, compared to the rest of us, unwashed masses. :)

I believe that there is.

We did not feel welcomed on SB (unlike on all of our Oceania and even Silversea cruises).

Just read some of the responses on the Seabourn thread about this review and you get an idea of how "unique, refined and fortunate" they feel to have their beloved SB, compared to the rest of us, unwashed masses. :)

You must be referring to the Seabourn poster who referred to Oceania as that "tacky down-market cruise line." Wow....

I am finding this a really interesting discussion particularly since I'm not motivated to sail on Seabourn or others mentioned principally because we do not drink alcohol so I can't rationalize that much more money for a cruise. I mean ... how happy can we be on a cruise? The answer? No happier than we are on Oceania.

I am midway through baychilla's review and I love the photographs. As an amateur photographer who never saw a view I didn't want to capture, photographs inspire me. I also happen to enjoy the sarcastic, one might say even caustic, flow of the review. And I confess I agree about the miso glazed sea bass in Red Ginger. While everyone we met raved and were literally orgasmic (can I say that?) over the dish, I was so disappointed. I felt the fish was totally overcome and ruined by the glaze.

But while baychilla tells us he is a gourmet and accustomed to the finest restaurants on land, I consider myself somewhat of an experienced critic and often would prefer to stay home and cook rather than risk a dinner out. Living in New York City for 20 years, I was fortunate to be wined (over my limit) and dined at the absolute finest restaurants money could buy. And there is no question in my opinion that in all dining venues on the Riviera (on our cruise) Oceania quite literally bedazzled (excepting the miso glaze; also a disappointing pasta dish in Toscana ... you can't win 'em all).

So, yes, it's subjective ... and unless someone went on the same itinerary with baychilla, on the same ship, in the same room, eating the same food, and fell asleep at the same time, we don't know what he/she experienced. But I do think it was just a little exaggerated for reasons known only to baychilla.;) ... it just couldn't possibly have been that bad.

The line itself was supposed to be the gold standard for food at sea, the most options, the highest quality, oodles of awards. Thats what the research said. As for the ports Im not sure what you're reading but I have not dumped on every port.

You just explained everything for us in your response -with all your research and all the positive reviews out there.. don't you find it strange you are basically alone posting such remarks....could it be your 'glass is ALWAYS half empty' (sarcasm) :confused: I enjoy your scenic pictorial, excluding the sarcastic Tags

You just confirmed it in your response - that is why, with all your research and positive reviews out there.. we all find it strange you are posting such remarks....could it be your 'glass is always half empty' (sarcasm) :confused:

No, Chadwell and the crew at the Waves bar wouldn't let that happen;)

Not all Seabourn sailors make others feel uncomfortable. I often find that kind of feeling stems more from the receiver than the giver because of the attitude they bring with them. The real problem on all these boards is that people become so attached to their preferred cruise line they take offense when anyone dares to criticize it. It's like a dagger to the stomach, like saying you didn't like their grandchild's piano recital. No line will be right for everyone so if we stipulate to that, there is room for differences that appeal to different people and we can stop denigrating other lines. It's more than fair to say what one likes or doesn't but let's ;eave out the venom. I love Seabourn. I love Oceania. I would happily sail either one. I also sail a couple of other lines when the right itinerary presents itself. I don't feel I have to be totally loyal to any one line because no matter how good it is I like a bit of variety. That said, I do sail one particular line most often but when I'm on another I do not constantly look for comparisons are reasons to dislike it.

wripro,

I agree with the sentiment of your post (except the part "that kind of feeling stems more from the receiver than the giver because of the attitude they bring with them"). I was the same person on SB that I am on all cruises but my "reception" was very different (maybe an exception rather than a rule?).

However, I do not see the kind of venom here like I see it on the SB thread on the same topic, especially by people who have never sailed on O.

I have sailed on both and have my preferences (Oceania). I have posted here repeatedly the baychila is entitled to his/her opinion as much as any other poster on CC - whether we agree with it or not.

I have (and will) sail on just about any cruise line for the right itinerary; I just adjust my expectations to the appropriate level.

However, I would never exclude one cruise line based on a single poster's review any more than I would not see a movie or eat at a restaurant simply based on the opinion of a reviewer that I know nothing about.

If one has sailed on both lines and has their preferences - that is their prerogative and choice. We don't all have to agree with that choice.

Thankfully we have enough cruise lines to choose from to keep us all happy.

I accepted baychilla's thread as a sincere attempt at a review but encumbered by his sarcastic, or, more kindly, his "tongue in cheek" comments which never translate well in print.

Until: he deliberately took an unflattering picture of his fellow travelers, dissed them for their smoking, and then POSTED THEIR PICTURE on cc. I cannot believe he did it or that the host would allow it.

I accepted baychilla's thread as a sincere attempt at a review but encumbered by his sarcastic, or, more kindly, his "tongue in cheek" comments which never translate well in print.

Until: he deliberately took an unflattering picture of his fellow travelers, dissed them for their smoking, and then POSTED THEIR PICTURE on cc. I cannot believe he did it or that the host would allow it.

Read through his post on the SB forum where he says that at night in the bars people "wear neon spongebob shorts, tee shirts and flip flops". On one night there is a "pool/deck party" where folks don't need to be dressed to the nines. He led the folks on the SB forum to believe this was the norm every night.

Read through his post on the SB forum where he says that at night in the bars people "wear neon spongebob shorts, tee shirts and flip flops". On one night there is a "pool/deck party" where folks don't need to be dressed to the nines. He led the folks on the SB forum to believe this was the norm every night.

Sorry if I've confused you. The deck party was on my first segment. Spongebob made his appearance on my second segment which did not have a deck party. Shorts and tshirts were common at night around the ship and in the bars.

Sorry if I've confused you. The deck party was on my first segment. Spongebob made his appearance on my second segment which did not have a deck party. Shorts and tshirts were common at night around the ship and in the bars.

Shorts and tee shirts are allowed at night so "Spongebob" did nothing wrong. What he had on may not be to your taste but clothing like food is subjective.

wripro and Paulchili,

"That said, I do sail one particular line most often but when I'm on another I do not constantly look for comparisons are reasons to dislike it."

I fully agree.. Time is too short to spend a cruise mentally torturing oneself about deficiencies or wishing I was sailing on another line. Enjoy what's enjoyable and wherever possible 'bypass' what is not.....:rolleyes:

Shorts and tee shirts are allowed at night so "Spongebob" did nothing wrong. What he had on may not be to your taste but clothing like food is subjective.

Had he just been wandering around the ship you'd be very much correct. However, as he was in a dining room the first time I saw him he was very much in breach of their dress code.

I don't care what the dress code is, I just want it enforced - otherwise toss it.

Had he just been wandering around the ship you'd be very much correct. However, as he was in a dining room the first time I saw him he was very much in breach of their dress code.

I don't care what the dress code is, I just want it enforced - otherwise toss it.

Really? He was in the GDR or specialty restaurants in shorts? Perhaps the plane lost his luggage.

Which dining room? Maybe you should comment on the polo grill thread. I'm sure us regulars would like to hear your opinion.

Really? He was in the GDR or specialty restaurants in shorts? Perhaps the plane lost his luggage.

Obviously I do not know the answer to this but it certainly has happened before.

Our friends did not get their luggage (in Istanbul, as a matter of fact) after a tight connection in FRA until after the Black Sea cruise. To add insult to injury, the luggage was picked through for any valuables and some clothing.

So they spent the rest of the cruise in very "informal" attire.

However, we do not know the particulars of this case.

Why moan about someone's dress, about the color of the bar lighting, about the large number of tourists at popular places in high season, about the quality of the souvenirs, about malls being closed, about the internet being upstairs, about whatever?

Why moan about someone's dress, about the color of the bar lighting, about the large number of tourists at popular places in high season, about the quality of the souvenirs, about malls being closed, about the internet being upstairs, about whatever?

IMO, not adhering to a dress code is not related to the other items mentioned. Passengers have a choice as to which cruise line will get their vacation dollars. They consider size of the ship, size of the staterooms, food, service, etc. There are cruise lines that have no problem with wearing shorts in the dining room at night (and they are less money than Oceania). However, when you are paying for a certain cruising experience and ambience, it does matter.

As a side note, CC members are doing a favor by letting people know that some places in the world (the Med. for instance) are so crowded in July and August that it is difficult to walk. Also, the heat is unbearable for some people. Again, you have a choice as to when to cruise and it does help to know times to avoid when you can.

Obviously I do not know the answer to this but it certainly has happened before.

Our friends did not get their luggage (in Istanbul, as a matter of fact) after a tight connection in FRA until after the Black Sea cruise. To add insult to injury, the luggage was picked through for any valuables and some clothing.

So they spent the rest of the cruise in very "informal" attire.

However, we do not know the particulars of this case.

We had this happen to friends sever years ago and they had the respect for the other passengers and ate at the buffet until they were reunited with their bags.

IMO, not adhering to a dress code is not related to the other items mentioned. Passengers have a choice as to which cruise line will get their vacation dollars. They consider size of the ship, size of the staterooms, food, service, etc. There are cruise lines that have no problem with wearing shorts in the dining room at night (and they are less money than Oceania). However, when you are paying for a certain cruising experience and ambience, it does matter.

As a side note, CC members are doing a favor by letting people know that some places in the world (the Med. for instance) are so crowded in July and August that it is difficult to walk. Also, the heat is unbearable for some people. Again, you have a choice as to when to cruise and it does help to know times to avoid when you can.

I agree with you about dress code; it does matter. And especially when a cruise line such as Oceania has already made the suggested attire very comfortable (i.e. no formal nights), I just don't think it's very hard to put on a nice shirt, top, slacks, whatever. So anyone who doesn't just doesn't care which means they have an attitude problem.

Your point is also well taken about giving thought about when to travel. Having seen the picture posted on this person's review, I would never dream of going there in July ... ever! The crowds (for me) would spoil the whole experience and it seems he was always looking for shade. So if nothing else, the review was great for making that point along with (as I mentioned several times before) some amazing photography!

Archived