Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

I ready over the rules and have read the entire thread but I have 3 Questions:

1. Can a reward be combined with a Diamond or D+ balcony discount?

2. All of us currently are with Bank of America for our RCI Rewards Card. Will we be automatically switched over to FIA Card Services?

3 Will our points with Bank of America automatically switch to the new card?

thanks

Edited by SherriZ366

I ready over the rules and have read the entire thread but I have 3 Questions:

1. Can a reward be combined with a Diamond or D+ balcony discount?

2. All of us currently are with Bank of America for our RCI Rewards Card. Will we be automatically switched over to FIA Card Services?

3 Will our points with Bank of America automatically switch to the new card?

thanks

Post 26 and 69

BOA periodically runs promotions that do the triple/double points, and also do periodic promotions that give you 5% cash back.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the new program. I think adding the ability to use my points on X makes the decision to do an X cruise a lot easier to make:) Every one of the ways that we currently use our points hasn't changed, so for us, this is a big net plus:)

You are referring to, or confusing with a different BOA card as the RCI Visa has no "periodic promotions" nor is it a "cash back" card. We have had the card for many years and if I told you the amount of points we accumulate would astonish most. Never have seen a promotion as you describe. Our other BOA card, yes, you do get occasional promotions for cash back.

Unfortunately, you are still only getting points on a 1 to 1 basis even if you use for Celebrity. Like that AT&T commercial with the guy and kids at the table "which is better" 1 for 1 or 2 for 1?

Post 26 and 69
Thanks -- the only thing that might affect me with combination seems to be residency rates and senior citizen rates. Last May, we got a good senior citizen rate on FR and then I was able to knock off $1,140 for the companion fare reward. Lots of the cruises we have booked do not seem to have residency or seniors rates on them. Edited by SherriZ366

BOA periodically runs promotions that do the triple/double points, and also do periodic promotions that give you 5% cash back.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the new program. I think adding the ability to use my points on X makes the decision to do an X cruise a lot easier to make:) Every one of the ways that we currently use our points hasn't changed, so for us, this is a big net plus:)

I think it is odd that the card lets you get OBC on X and Azamara for less points--but, not Royal. It could be poor proof reading. But, the new restrictions are troubling.

I think it is odd that the card lets you get OBC on X and Azamara for less points--but, not Royal. It could be poor proof reading. But, the new restrictions are troubling.

That is what I am thinking as well. Does not seem to make sense.

You are referring to, or confusing with a different BOA card as the RCI Visa has no "periodic promotions" nor is it a "cash back" card. We have had the card for many years and if I told you the amount of points we accumulate would astonish most. Never have seen a promotion as you describe. Our other BOA card, yes, you do get occasional promotions for cash back.

Unfortunately, you are still only getting points on a 1 to 1 basis even if you use for Celebrity. Like that AT&T commercial with the guy and kids at the table "which is better" 1 for 1 or 2 for 1?

Sorry if this sounds snarky, but you couldn't be more wrong. At the start of 2013, the RCL BOA Visa ran a 3 - for RCL purchases/2-for gas, groceries, and restaurants/1-for everything else promotion through the end of February that earned us more than 2,000 extra bonus points, and there have been three $$ back promotions already this year (the latest one runs through the end of September) that give you 5% cash back - up to $25. We've received the maximum $25 on each promotion, and expect to get another $25 credit when the current one ends

Edited by orville99

That is what I am thinking as well. Does not seem to make sense.

It makes sense if their marketing strategy is to get customers to try out the other (and more expensive) brands:)

Just off the phone with BOA, making a travel notification. I ask if he knew anything about the switch, he seemed to know a little, but no exciting info was passed to me. But I did learn, that FIA is an affiliate of BOA, so if we could get a 8th grade reading level of the exact changes it would be nice. If this has already been done, sorry, I got tired of reading all the post.

I hate to all see the apparent changes, and I would dump the card and use all points quickly and I have a bunch and have fortunately used a bunch.

It makes sense if their marketing strategy is to get customers to try out the other (and more expensive) brands:)

I think this is a part of it. The other part is to get people to charge more on their card so the cc company can make money, fees and that ugly % when one does not pay the full balance every month. I think they think in order to get to 25000 points people will use the card more ,even if it means paying the ugly %. If everyone who has this card paid it off every month, they would shut it down.

The BOA RCI Visa did have a promotion this past winter. It was double points on many different things (groceries, gas, etc) and triple points on Royal Caribbean purchases. We went ahead and paid off our cruise leaving in 2 weeks back in January to get the triple points.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just off the phone with BOA, making a travel notification. I ask if he knew anything about the switch, he seemed to know a little, but no exciting info was passed to me. But I did learn, that FIA is an affiliate of BOA, so if we could get a 8th grade reading level of the exact changes it would be nice. If this has already been done, sorry, I got tired of reading all the post.

I hate to all see the apparent changes, and I would dump the card and use all points quickly and I have a bunch and have fortunately used a bunch.

As far as I know (going back to when we first got our RCL Visa from BOA 4-5 years ago), FIA has been their card servicer, so at least for us, there is no change on that front.

The BOA RCI Visa did have a promotion this past winter. It was double points on many different things (groceries, gas, etc) and triple points on Royal Caribbean purchases. We went ahead and paid off our cruise leaving in 2 weeks back in January to get the triple points.

We paid off our cruises in January and charged a lot of our Chanukah purchases at Big Box stores and Amazon as they were part of the 2 for 1 promotion.

If that is the case then I stand corrected. They communicated that special just like they are communicating these changes I guess. I will have to go back and look at my statements to see if I got the additional points.

Just keep in mind that even with those specials, they are not all the time and you could miss them when offered and when all is said and done, you still have the new RCI/Visa restrictions via the changes.

We are switching. I did some estimates and it looks like we will get somewhere in the neighborhood of an ADDITIONAL $500 to $700 per year off of our future cruises (or any travel) vs. the RCI Visa card as a result and be able to use those points how we want and not how the new rules made by RCI say we can.

Sorry if this sounds snarky, but you couldn't be more wrong. At the start of 2013, the RCL BOA Visa ran a 3 - for RCL purchases/2-for gas, groceries, and restaurants/1-for everything else promotion through the end of February that earned us more than 2,000 extra bonus points, and there have been three $$ back promotions already this year (the latest one runs through the end of September) that give you 5% cash back - up to $25. We've received the maximum $25 on each promotion, and expect to get another $25 credit when the current one ends

Could you share some info on the 5% cash back promotions? This is the first I've heard of it.

Gosh this just burns my butt. We just recently hit 125,000 points and planned on an Allure or Oasis cruise - and now Royal Caribbean STOLE it from me as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like you still have a small window of opportunity to book using the points now

Could you share some info on the 5% cash back promotions? This is the first I've heard of it.

Their pattern over the past few years has been to run them quarterly. The current one started in July and runs through September. I expect there will be a new one that starts in October and runs through the end of the year. If we don't get an email at the start of October, we'll just go out to their promotions website and check at the beginning of the month.

To check whether there's a promo running, and if your card qualifies, go to this link:

https://easyrewards.bankofamerica.com/

Gosh this just burns my butt. We just recently hit 125,000 points and planned on an Allure or Oasis cruise - and now Royal Caribbean STOLE it from me as far as I'm concerned.

It should burn your butt. As I pointed out when I started this thread, this is a major change. I am approaching 125,000 miles and was also planning an Oasis or Allure cruise with those points as they are the only ships in the Caribbean where you could maximize the value of $2500 for a 7 day.

You can still get the companion fare (up to $1,500) on Oasis and Allure at 75,000 points, so if you're set on an Oasis cruise, you could do that and have 50,000 points left to spend another time:)

Just spoke to Redemption Center and I got someone who actually gave me some information that makes sense.

OBC ~~ The information listed under Rewards Options when it refers to OBC is incorrect and will be corrected. You will still be able to redeem points for a $50, $100, $150 and $200 OBC and use it on any RCI cruise (as well as Celebrity/Azamara). This was not listed before. Seems that there was a miscommunication between the Redemption Center and Marketing and they are in the process of getting that corrected!:eek:

Combining Points with C&A Benefits ~~ Yes you Can. If you have a balcony discount and an OBC from booking on board or using a C&A Certificate, you will still be able to redeem points and use it on that booking or any future booking. The only time that a balcony discount would not be applied is if you are booking a "free" cruise.....which kind of makes sense!:D

RCI will now have 2 credit cards, a Visa Platinum Plus and a Visa Signature. When someone is applying for either card for the first time, eligibility for a card will be determined by credit level. The reason for this, I was told, is because the Visa Signature has a lot more benefits available.

All those that currently have a Visa Platinum Plus card will automatically be enrolled in the Visa Signature Card program and receive new cards. You will keep the same account number and your points will automatically be transferred over to the new card.

The young lady that I spoke with did not give me a kick-off date. Guess there are a few more glitches to work out.

There is no annual fee for either card.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks again Patti. Great detective work.

I really don't want the 'upgrade'. My current interest rate is 7.99% and from what I've found the rate on the new card is 12.99%! We always pay off the full balance, but one month the amount was wrong we got charged interest. It's not much but the rate has increased over 50%.

No reason to get worked up over something that hasn't happened yet, but something to double check if it does happen.

Just spoke to Redemption Center and I got someone who actually gave me some information that makes sense.

OBC ~~ The information listed under Rewards Options when it refers to OBC is incorrect and will be corrected. You will still be able to redeem points for a $50, $100, $150 and $200 OBC and use it on any RCI cruise (as well as Celebrity/Azamara). This was not listed before. Seems that there was a miscommunication between the Redemption Center and Marketing and they are in the process of getting that corrected!:eek:

Combining Points with C&A Benefits ~~ Yes you Can. If you have a balcony discount and an OBC from booking on board or using a C&A Certificate, you will still be able to redeem points and use it on that booking or any future booking. The only time that a balcony discount would not be applied is if you are booking a "free" cruise.....which kind of makes sense!:D

RCI will now have 2 credit cards, a Visa Platinum Plus and a Visa Signature. When someone is applying for either card for the first time, eligibility for a card will be determined by credit level. The reason for this, I was told, is because the Visa Signature has a lot more benefits available.

All those that currently have a Visa Platinum Plus card will automatically be enrolled in the Visa Signature Card program and receive new cards. You will keep the same account number and your points will automatically be transferred over to the new card.

The young lady that I spoke with did not give me a kick-off date. Guess there are a few more glitches to work out.

There is no annual fee for either card.

Thank you! At least this clears up a number of the issues many posters have had with the incorrect information provided on the site. I still have the issue with the 1 to 1 and the 1 to 2 ratios comparing the RCI vs other cards. At least keeping the smaller redemption for OBC makes it more lucrative than the originally thought higher increments.