Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

UPDATE: You DO NOT have to apply for the new Visa Signature if you currently have a Visa Platinum Plus and a credit line of $5000+.

Everyone that currently has a Visa Platinum Plus with a $5000+ credit line will automatically receive, in the mail, a new Visa Signature with the same account number that your Visa PP currently has. All your credit information and "ALL" points will automatically be transferred to the new card. BofA is hoping to have this mailing done in January, 2014.

If you currently call and request a new Signature Visa, you will get a new account number and your points WILL NOT transfer over. In fact, your current card could be closed and you will lose all points that you have earned.

I just did what was posted above in the FAQ. I called the number on the back of my BofA and tried to transfer my Visa Platinum Plus to the new Visa Signature. The rep at BofA was going to open me a new account with a new number. Needless to say, she was clueless!

That is when I called the Redemption Center and was told the same information I was told 2 weeks ago. This time my call was answered by someone that I have known for years and completely trust.

Edited by cruisenfever

UPDATE: You DO NOT have to apply for the new Visa Signature if you currently have a Visa Platinum Plus and a credit line of $5000+.

Everyone that currently has a Visa Platinum Plus with a $5000+ credit line will automatically receive, in the mail, a new Visa Signature with the same account number that your Visa PP currently has. All your credit information and "ALL" points will automatically be transferred to the new card. BofA is hoping to have this mailing done in January, 2014.

If you currently call and request a new Signature Visa, you will get a new account number and your points WILL NOT transfer over. In fact, your current card could be closed and you will lose all points that you have earned.

I just did what was posted above in the FAQ. I called the number on the back of my BofA and tried to transfer my Visa Platinum Plus to the new Visa Signature. The rep at BofA was going to open me a new account with a new number. Needless to say, she was clueless!

That is when I called the Redemption Center and was told the same information I was told 2 weeks ago. This time my call was answered by someone that I have known for years and completely trust.

Thank-you for this very important update Patti!

You can still get the dollars off from the free cruise redemption, you just can't add the balcony discount.

I still have to call the redemption center about this, but if that is true, it is a deal breaker for me. I always use my points to get a companion fare or $$$ of the cruise, whichever gives me the best bang for the buck. And still get my balcony discount. If the new program is only going to allow me to use the points for OBC, then it totally loses it's value to me. hate the thought of having to get a new credit card, but it appears that is where this is headed.

I still have to call the redemption center about this, but if that is true, it is a deal breaker for me. I always use my points to get a companion fare or $$$ of the cruise, whichever gives me the best bang for the buck. And still get my balcony discount. If the new program is only going to allow me to use the points for OBC, then it totally loses it's value to me. hate the thought of having to get a new credit card, but it appears that is where this is headed.

You can still combine your balcony discount with $$$ off a cruise. I believe you can still get the balcony discount when doing a companion fare. That's a little gray area I still don't quite understand.

You can't have a balcony discount if you are using points for a "free" cruise for 2, which makes sense.

Edited by cruisenfever

I agree with you. We used the 50K point redemption several times for the free 3/4 day cruise in combination with the balcony discount.

I was told this morning be the Redemption Ctr. that you can use your balcony discount and get $$ off the cruise but that you can NOT use your balcony discount if you get a free companion fare, upgrade or a free cruise. Come back and let us know what answer you get.:)

I was told this morning be the Redemption Ctr. that you can use your balcony discount and get $$ off the cruise but that you can NOT use your balcony discount if you get a free companion fare, upgrade or a free cruise.Come back and let us know what answer you get.:)

Thanks for clearing up that gray area that I did not understand. Makes perfect sense now.

Thanks for clearing up that gray area that I did not understand. Makes perfect sense now.

Yet the terms you posted earlier today state otherwise:rolleyes:. Guess we will really have to wait and see how this plays out. There is going to be a lot of policing of balcony discounts it seems to me.

Yet the terms you posted earlier today state otherwise:rolleyes:. Guess we will really have to wait and see how this plays out. There is going to be a lot of policing of balcony discounts it seems to me.

Something like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!!:D

Just booked the Allure of the Seas today by redeeming 125,000 B of A points. Was told by the agent that August 30 was the date of the new rules. Thanks to this thread for alerting me to this change. Surely would have been upset if I had not been able to use them on the more expensive ship.

macy

I just redeemed 125,000 points for Allure today. The old program will expire on August 30, 2013. I'm so relieved I got in before the new program! Now I have 1,700 points left. What can I do with those remaining points? I tried to find the old program rules to no avail.

I just redeemed 125,000 points for Allure today. The old program will expire on August 30, 2013. I'm so relieved I got in before the new program! Now I have 1,700 points left. What can I do with those remaining points? I tried to find the old program rules to no avail.

The old rules can be found on this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39577104&postcount=76

Here are the old program rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/bofa_program_rules.pdf

You need at least 5000 points for $50 OBC. You can redeem 1000 points for a $10 charitable contribution.

Edited by clarea

I did receive my BOA email about the new program

I am sure most of you did too.

Glad I needed do anything at this point:

Dear George,

As a Royal Caribbean Visa cardholder, you'll love our new MyCruise Rewards program! Now you can use your card to earn double points for purchases on Royal Caribbean International® and our sister brands, Azamara Club Cruises® and Celebrity Cruises® . Then beginning August 30, 2013, you can redeem your points for cruise rewards on all three cruiselines.

Use your current card – no need to re-apply to enjoy MyCruise Rewards

Double points for purchases on Royal Caribbean, Azamara, and Celebrity Cruises

More rewards – choose cruises, discounts, upgrades, and onboard credit on three incredible cruise lines ROY_spacer.gif

Edited by TheMiz

I was told this morning be the Redemption Ctr. that you can use your balcony discount and get $$ off the cruise but that you can NOT use your balcony discount if you get a free companion fare, upgrade or a free cruise. Come back and let us know what answer you get.:)

Is that in writing on the terms and conditions? I just used 25,000 points to get $150 discount off my crown and anchor discount.

I just saw this:

DISCOUNTS

A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits.

That seems pretty clear cut. I know what you were told...I think it makes me nervous getting a verbal instead of something in writing. I have 12,000 points now and I'm trying to decide if I should turn those over into OBC for my upcoming cruise or if I should just keep collecting. I would love for my next cruise to be on Allure or Quantum

I'm STILL waiting for an email regarding this issue. I wouldn't know about these changes if not for these boards. Fortunately, I'd already traded in points toward my up-coming cruise. It doesn't appear I'd have been impacted anyway, since I'm not cruising on a newer ship. But still...I've been using this card for over five years and have not yet received official notification of these new terms?? :confused:

The old T's and C's state this

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL, ITS PARTNERS AND FIA CARD SERVICES, N.A. RESERVE THE RIGHT TO FROM TIME TO TIME, AND WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE, ADD, MODIFY, DELETE OR OTHERWISE CHANGE (COLLECTIVELY “CHANGES”) ANY ASPECT OF THE PROGRAM

So, under the terms of the old card they did not have to notify us, at all. Link in 389

Edited by setsail

I'm STILL waiting for an email regarding this issue. I wouldn't know about these changes if not for these boards. Fortunately, I'd already traded in points toward my up-coming cruise. It doesn't appear I'd have been impacted anyway, since I'm not cruising on a newer ship. But still...I've been using this card for over five years and have not yet received official notification of these new terms?? :confused:

has your email address changed since you started 5 years ago? I had that happen to me a few years ago. I hadn't updated my email address.

Edited by slyster

I just got my email this morning. At least a week ago, I got an email from my bank (billpay) stating BOA was canceling my automatic billpay and that I'd need to set it up for manual. Thank goodness for this thread, or I would have completely freaked out!

How quickly do they apply the redemption to your balance? I redeemed 125,000 points for the Allure next April (a week ago), but it has not been applied. I have a confirmation # but no email, so slightly concerned. When I called the redemption center to let them know I did not receive an email, they said they couldn't regenerate one (seems odd) but I shouldn't worry.

No think I never understood, why doesn't the BoA Royal card wave

Foreign Transaction Fee for non-US transactions , after all it is a travel card.

I just got an email about the "NEW" Celebrity Visa card

How quickly do they apply the redemption to your balance? I redeemed 125,000 points for the Allure next April (a week ago), but it has not been applied. I have a confirmation # but no email, so slightly concerned. When I called the redemption center to let them know I did not receive an email, they said they couldn't regenerate one (seems odd) but I shouldn't worry.

If they get busy, they do the redemptions in order of cruise date. Since you have some time before the cruise, I'd wait a couple of weeks, and then ask for a copy of your booking confirmation to confirm the credit amount.

If they get busy, they do the redemptions in order of cruise date. Since you have some time before the cruise, I'd wait a couple of weeks, and then ask for a copy of your booking confirmation to confirm the credit amount.

thanks

I just got my email this morning. At least a week ago, I got an email from my bank (billpay) stating BOA was canceling my automatic billpay and that I'd need to set it up for manual. Thank goodness for this thread, or I would have completely freaked out!

Glad to hear you just got this morning. I just checked, and still nothing. No, my email hasn't changed and I still get OTHER emails from BoA at that email address. I'll wait and see...