Any internet techs out there.

antsp

Sailing on board the Ruby at the moment and all is going great. Any tech person have a clue how my bbc news app is conecting to the internet without me logging on to my internet minutes. Im on an ipad its not 3g.

With my ever inquisitive mind, im really intrigued

Sailing on board the Ruby at the moment and all is going great. Any tech person have a clue how my bbc news app is conecting to the internet without me logging on to my internet minutes. Im on an ipad its not 3g.

Check to see if you are in "airplane mode". If not you should be. I cannot say for sure about I-Pads, but androids NOT in airplane mode can sometimes connect by themselves after the first time they've been connected. They seek & find a signal.

Check to see if you are in "airplane mode". If not you should be. I cannot say for sure about I-Pads, but androids NOT in airplane mode can sometimes connect by themselves after the first time they've been connected. They seek & find a signal.

My iPhone will (is able to) connect to wifi even when it is in airplane mode.

Mine too but when but when going to "airplane mode' it shuts off "WiFi" which I can override to allow WiFi & is how I use my iPhone onboard.

In order for your device to connect to the app it has to go through either Wifi or the phone's mobile telecommunications technology whether it be 3G, 4G, or other. Since you are probably too far out of range to use the latter method you will have to connect to Wifi. Some apps allow downloading of the entire news content for offline reading so that may be an option for you. Good luck. :D

Not sure why this is happening because you need to be connected via WiFi or cell. If you're in Airplane mode, this shouldn't happen.

Here's a link to an explanation and "how to's" to either turn on or off push notifications or data. No matter what, you should go into Settings > Notifications and turn off notifications.

http://www.cultofmac.com/229932/save-your-iphone-battery-turn-off-push-mail-and-push-notifications-ios-tips/

Mine too but when but when going to "airplane mode' it shuts off "WiFi" which I can override to allow WiFi & is how I use my iPhone onboard.
This is how I use both my iPhone and iPad while on the ship. Edited by Pam in CA

Same here, by engaging Airplane Mode. Then go back into the Wifi Settings and turn it back on. Lots of other ways I've read on how to prevent unexpected (unwanted) data usage while on a ship like ensuring Data Roaming is turned OFF, as well as turning off all Notifications and Location Services (in the Privacy setting).

Not sure why this is happening because you need to be connected via WiFi or cell. If you're in Airplane mode, this shouldn't happen.

Here's a link to an explanation and "how to's" to either turn on or off push notifications or data. No matter what, you should go into Settings > Notifications and turn off notifications.

http://www.cultofmac.com/229932/save-your-iphone-battery-turn-off-push-mail-and-push-notifications-ios-tips/

This is how I use both my iPhone and iPad while on the ship.

Same here, by engaging Airplane Mode. Then go back into the Wifi Settings and turn it back on. Lots of other ways I've read on how to prevent unexpected (unwanted) data usage while on a ship like ensuring Data Roaming is turned OFF, as well as turning off all Notifications and Location Services (in the Privacy setting).

Thanks Pam & Dave...it's always good to learn something new. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi from beautiful Santorini, my question was , im on the ships wifi but im not connected ie using my elite minutes, however my bbc news app connects and gets updates all the time. I wifi only ipad Hope tht makes sense

I had a similar experience on the Emerald a couple of month's ago. Yes, iPad in airplane mode, properly logged off from ship wifi, set for no cellular, etc. Kept getting updates from a couple of apps. Did not get charged by anyone for the "leakage."

Good thought, but totally different types of data streams :)

This is just an idea, with no sound technological basis at all, but perhaps the BBC feed is considered an unblocked feed by the ship Wifi service since it is needed for the television channel?

Theres a chance that whatever port that app is using is not being blocked for pay by the ship's proxy servers. They'll catch it eventually when they check the logs.

^^ This. ^^

Likely the app just happens to use the same port number as the onboard-offered Princess website does.

This means it may not get blocked (and they likely already know about it). It would mean moving the Princess site to another port, which may not be worth the trouble to block one app.

I am a tech. And I will definitely be testing this on board the CB in a few months. I do it here at work all the time, some apps are blocked, some are not. :D

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

• 3 months later...

Likely the app just happens to use the same port number as the onboard-offered Princess website does.

This means it may not get blocked (and they likely already know about it). It would mean moving the Princess site to another port, which may not be worth the trouble to block one app.

I am a tech. And I will definitely be testing this on board the CB in a few months. I do it here at work all the time, some apps are blocked, some are not. :D

I have installed the Viber app on my iPhone and will test it as well. No I won't be making bandwidth-hogging VOIP calls. Just texting my wife. If it works.

If Viber does not and BBC works, I will have to write a thin-client texting app that does. I promise it won't go BLEEP BLEEP or SPROINK SPROINK all the time as that's just rude. ;)

Just turn off Wifi when you are done. Also are you sure you are logging off the Internet when you are finnished instead of just closing your browser?

This is a good point. People sometimes think they've logged off properly when they haven't. Double check this.

You'll always want to ensure that in addition to turning on the "Airplane Mode", be sure that the "Data Roaming" feature is turned OFF on your phone.

If you inadvertantly disable "Airplane Mode", your phone, if capable of international roaming, could connect to the ship's on board wireless network for voice, text, & data roaming. The rates tend to be exhorbitant, needless to say. And those apps that run in the background (such as your BBC News app), silently consuming data, could rack up quite a wireless roaming bill if you're not careful.

I have installed the Viber app on my iPhone and will test it as well. No I won't be making bandwidth-hogging VOIP calls. Just texting my wife. If it works.

If Viber does not and BBC works, I will have to write a thin-client texting app that does. I promise it won't go BLEEP BLEEP or SPROINK SPROINK all the time as that's just rude. ;)

being your a techie.

Please be sure to post when you return as we leave on the 7th.

AWESOME CRUISING!

I saw this behavior while on the Royal in October: I got push notifications from the CNN app. I was definitely NOT logged into my internet account at the time. I asked the internet manager and he just said "don't worry about it" and said it would not consume my minutes. I monitored the usage display that you get when logging out and I never saw unaccounted for minutes. But I got push notifications the whole time. Whereas I turned off cellular data on my iPhone and got no notifications of any kind on that device. Somehow the app is able to connect to the outside world without a login! I suspect that loophole will be closed at some point.