What would it take to pick Carnival over Royal??

I would cruise Carnival if:  

319 members have voted

1. 1. I would cruise Carnival if:

• It was the same price or more than Royal
    • It was $100/pp cheaper
    • It was $200/pp cheaper
    • It was $300/pp cheaper
    • It was $400/pp cheaper
    • Never - Nada - No Way

I look at both the Carnival & Royal boards a lot. Over at the C board there is a lot of I don't cruise on R because they are $100,$200,$300 etc. /pp more expensive. The same people sometimes say they would cruise r if they were the same price. SO: Here is my question to the Royal crowd. Assuming $1,000/pp for comparable balcony cabins on comparable ships with comparable 7 day East or West itinerary, what would it take to try Carnival. (Consider cruise price only, not travel costs, loyalty benefits etc., just cruise vs. cruise).

Hope this works as I have never posted a poll.

Gregg

We are D+ but hop on a Carnival ship when the price is right...

We recognize the demogrpahics are different.

We recognize the menus are different.

We recognize we will not see live music by the pool.

We recognize there are differences...but will pay for a Royal cruise without reservation.

Nothing negative about Carnival, just that they are different.

All of the Royal Caribbean ships to sink.

Good one Ms. Merion Mom. Then I guess you voted Never-Nada-No Way:D

Also for the first 2 posters, I don't think the poll choices posted before you answered.

Gregg

We had this very conversation as we were driving back from our cruise this past May. Both of us decided it would take a savings of over $500 pp before we would take a Carnival cruise over a RCCL.

No major reasoning as to why, just the little things RCCL does that we like.

Tim

We had this very conversation as we were driving back from our cruise this past May. Both of us decided it would take a savings of over $500 pp before we would take a Carnival cruise over a RCCL.

No major reasoning as to why, just the little things RCCL does that we like.

Tim

I thought about adding the $500 off price ( as that would have been 1/2 off), but I stopped at $400. I also considered showing the names of the poster, but decided against it so people would feel they could be honest with their responses, even though that lends the possibility of certain cheerleaders, who will remain unnamed, coming over and voting for the first choice.

Gregg

Gregg

In June I went on a Girl Friends cruise with CCL. I went kicking and screaming! BUT, I was pleasantly surprised, I did have a nice cruise and a good time with my friends. We all had to plan so everyone could afford it and the planner found a cruise that was less than $500 for an IS (w/taxes, port fees, etc) so we all agreed and went. I wasn't the only one that was not too excited about the choice but thought, hey, I will be with my friends and we will have a good time no matter. It really was a good time because I didn't expect Royal...I would cruise again with CCL but only if it was with family/friends. For me it is not a question of cost but of who will be on that CCL ship...

We have sailed Carnival a few times. The last time was because the itinerary was a good one.

You did not included this variable in your poll.

My post stated to compare the pricing to comparable cabins, ships & itinerary.

Gregg

We took our first cruise ,decades ago on Royal Caribbean took Mexico from Southern California.

We still love these cruises as we live on the west coast & still like Mexico.

Most ships have pulled out except Carnival. We swore we would never cruise them again but did last year as we had a chance for a last minute cruise and they were the only one going.

We were pleasantly surprised on how they had changed from years ago with their 'party' reputation.

I would take the same cruise again......unless Royal brings another ship back. :0)

The last Carnival ship we cruised was a out of San Juan with a great itinerary.

One morning we were approaching our port of call and I went on deck to get coffee and watch our arrival.

The big screen TV at the pool was BLASTING CNN! Very loud. It ruined the "moment". The last thing I want to hear BLASTING from the speakers on a cruise ship is Wolf Blitzer!

Most other times the big screen was BLASTING commercials for Carnival.

Never again.

We stick with HAL and Celebrity, and we just booked a B2B on the Jewel. We could have booked the Carnival Valor for 2/3rd the price. Nope, ain't gonna do it!

I would not try CCL ever, because for me, the entire cruise experience is enhanced by the loyalty benefits we have with RCL. I know that's not part of the conditions of your question, but it does make a difference to me and it IS the reason I stay on RCL. With that said, we would consider CCL on 2 conditions, IF the itinerary on CCL is something RCL can't do and , most importantly, perhaps if CCL would , for a 1-time only deal, grant me a temporary status in their highest tier of their club....so I can really compare apples to apples, lol.

Ms. OTown said she would only consider Princess....

Bottom line to this question- you get what you pay for!

I took some cheap extra cruises this year to make Platinum with Carnival before the program change at the end of the year. I have no future cruises planned with them, but even the limited Platinum benefits (compared to RCCL) are nice (even if I can buy most of them with Carnival FTTF).

Things are going well at work so all future cruising (3-4/year) is with RCCL for the time being. Yes it costs me more, but I have a fixed amount of time off and a specific pool of money to pay for vacations so everything works out for now.

The next Carnival boat doesn't appear to be radically different (so far), so I don't see myself returning to them anytime soon. I'm focused on obtaining Diamond status on RCCL at the moment, and only NCL could distract me from that. Given that my recent experience on Oasis was really positive, I don't see myself going back to NCL unless I decide to give the next boat a try. Even if the reviews on Breakaway trended more positive, the current itineraries (the ones I would be interested in) are very expensive due to the home port.

Carnival would need boats with a pool+hot tub in the adult-only area and some better entertainment for me to come back. Everything else on their boats is good enough for me, but after sailing on RCCL I really miss those things on Carnival ships.

I didn't vote because my answer is not there. If someone else was paying my expenses, I would not turn it down. But, when we book we look at RC.

We were on one Carnival cruise and we enjoyed ourselves but we were with our daughter and her boyfriend so that was a unique experience. We missed many of the little things from RC.

Archived