SFO Pier 35 Boarding with sharps

sharpie13

In past cruises I have always brought aboard a corkscrew and a swiss army knife aboard as part of my carry-on luggage. Is this still the practice in SFO or should these items now be placed in checked luggage?

Thank you all who respond.

In past cruises I have always brought aboard a corkscrew and a swiss army knife aboard as part of my carry-on luggage. Is this still the practice in SFO or should these items now be placed in checked luggage?

Thank you all who respond.

Put it in your checked luggage, I lost my swiss army knife with the corkscrew to the TSA when I put it on my carry-on luggage.

I had both a Swiss Army knife and a corkscrew in my checked luggage numerous times boarding in San Francisco and absolutely no problems. Once or twice I probably even had the knife in my pants pocked without an issue.

Is your question regarding boarding at the pier? or going thru TSA at the airport?

Responses seem unclear on this.

When traveling by air, we usuallly pack sharp items in luggage. Just getting on at the pier never had a problem.

Is your question regarding boarding at the pier? or going thru TSA at the airport?

Responses seem unclear on this.

When traveling by air, we usuallly pack sharp items in luggage. Just getting on at the pier never had a problem.

The question pertains to boarding at the pier only. Thank you :)

My husband's tiny pocket knife, which was in his pocket, was confiscated at the pier. Better to put sharps in your checked luggage. If you need a cork screw before your luggage has arrived to your cabin, your cabin steward can provide one.

My husband's tiny pocket knife, which was in his pocket, was confiscated at the pier.

So they take away a tiny knife at the pier ... but you can get a big one in the MDR or Buffet... :eek:

How stupid is that :confused:

Once, in LA, DH had a medium pair of scissors (for hair trimming) in his carry on. They were confiscated. As we were doing B2B cruises, we rolled a small suitcase off the ship on turnaround day, claimed the scissors in the terminal, placed them in the suitcase, turned the suitcase over to a baggage handler outside the terminal, and it was delivered to our cabin with the scissors inside.

Moral of the story: place it in your checked baggage (but I think it might still be confiscated, as my dive knife generally is. You'd be able to get it for your shore visits, though.)

So they take away a tiny knife at the pier ... but you can get a big one in the MDR or Buffet... :eek:

How stupid is that :confused:

That is just what I said to them when they took my SOG multi on one of the port stops on the Celebrity Solstice as I reboarded the ship. I got it back as I disembarked. On Princess they have noticed it in my backpack on returning to the ship, but have never taken it away. I call my knife that I take on cruises my dressup knife. I use it all the time, and I wear one everyday at home and work. Knives are under the banned items list on the Princess site, but then I have taken them from the dining room to my cabin to cut thick styrofoam for one of the contests onboard. So, it makes no sense to ban a little 3.5 in blade and tool set when you can get a 6 in steak knife.:p

Archived