Fresh flowers on HAL ships?

comfortcove

Okay, this may seem a little silly, but I love flowers. We have been away from HAL for several years, but will be back on the Noordam in December. Does HAL still have gorgeous cut flower arrangements throughout the public areas? How are the Christmas decorations? Ooh, I can't wait!

Yes there are still lots of flowers on HAL. They are in lots of public areas. I especially love the orchids in the public bathrooms and on the Lido tables.

As far as Christmas decorations go, we were on the Westerdam in late November one year and they had just started to put them up before our cruise ended. We would go off the ship in each port and it seemed each time we got back on the ship we noticed a new decoration. This December we will be on Maasdam til Dec 20th so we will get the full deal.

HAL apparently uses something they call a "reverse auction" with the Dutch flower markets so live flowers and Dutch traditions remain a traditional feature on HAL ships. They retain an onboard florist whose job it is to create these and other special order arrangements - wouldn't that be a fun job to have? Maybe not as many elaborate displays as in times past, but these are two industries (Dutch tradition cruise ships and the Dutch flower industry) that have long worked together. Flowers in the public rooms, on the dining room tables and room service trays. Some of the potted plants have been replaced by artificial ones which is a shame, but that is the way it is.

We just left the Veendam and they had fresh flowers throughout the ship.

Midway through the week, two new florists boarded. I saw them and wow did I also notice the difference in the flowers. They are very creative and working with basic materials and not necessarily the most pricey blossoms etc made beautiful arrangments.

I noticed right away and made comment they really have talent.

How are the Christmas decorations? Ooh, I can't wait!
We've done mid-Dec cruises on Veendam, Ryndam, Zuiderdam, and Noordam (twice), and the Noordam's decorations were by far the best. At least one tree in every public room, in each off the forward elevator bays, and one extra large one in the atrium - and no two trees were decorated the same. There were lots of garlands around, such as on the railings in the atrium. There was a model train set up along the aisle next to the Explorer's Lounge, and decorations on the walls at the front desk. Gingerbread houses were scattered around the ship, especially in the Lido and MDR. Also there were exterior lights up by the funnels.

On the other three ships the decorations were primarily one large display in the atrium. Enjoy!

We've done mid-Dec cruises on Veendam, Ryndam, Zuiderdam, and Noordam (twice), and the Noordam's decorations were by far the best. At least one tree in every public room, in each off the forward elevator bays, and one extra large one in the atrium - and no two trees were decorated the same. There were lots of garlands around, such as on the railings in the atrium. There was a model train set up along the aisle next to the Explorer's Lounge, and decorations on the walls at the front desk. Gingerbread houses were scattered around the ship, especially in the Lido and MDR. Also there were exterior lights up by the funnels.

On the other three ships the decorations were primarily one large display in the atrium. Enjoy!

I agree.

Of all the ships we have sailed during the holidays, Noordam had the best decorations, that year, that cruise when we visited aboard. Maasdam has had some really beautiful and some a little less so, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam's were going up when we were leaving......

The ships all are decorated beautifully for the holidays. :)

Fellow cruisers, you have made my day, I love flowers and I love Christmas! I plan to decorate a little more minimally at home this year since we are going on a cruise. We will still do one tree, wreaths, dining room and mantel, but no whole house extravaganza this year.

I always order an arrangement for our cabin. I have found we get something fresher and more original if I order the first day on board, as opposed to ordering online, when I order libations and make specialty dining reservations. I have only had good experiences with on board florists, and they do seem like they like their jobs. :). Thanks for the input, I am getting very excited about the Noordam. When I was lurking on this board for a bit prior to booking, it seemed like there were so many negative posts about HAL (food, service, pricing, policies etc!) it is encouraging to read your posts. Thank you!

On the majority of the ships we have been, the flowers were beautiful.

But there have been times when the flowers in our cabin were nearly dead when we arrived on the ship. That happened on our Westerdam cruise this past March/April. The smell was so bad after a couple of days that DH took them to the concierge and even she agreed that they smelled bad.

Westerdam_ship_pictures_3_078.JPG

Given the recent cut backs HAL has made, I wonder how long the flowers will be around.

Right now I think this is of mutual interest between the Dutch flower industry and Holland America Cruise Lines to keep this tradition going.

On the majority of the ships we have been, the flowers were beautiful.

But there have been times when the flowers in our cabin were nearly dead when we arrived on the ship. That happened on our Westerdam cruise this past March/April. The smell was so bad after a couple of days that DH took them to the concierge and even she agreed that they smelled bad.

Westerdam_ship_pictures_3_078.JPG

Whenever we feel the flowers are 'finished', I put them in the wastebasket. No more looking at the past their prime flowers and they are gone. I rinse out the container and leave it empty on the table. Just about always, new flowers appear. :)

Easy. No way I would leave something smelly in our cabin.

You can recognize the onboard HAL florist(s) by the yellow polo shirts they wear as opposed to the orange polos worn by Club HAL/the Librarian and some others, and the red ones worn by Shorex

Who am I to doubt your (inside) knowledge, maybe the colors have changed recently, but on our TA on Noordam we met up with the ships florist who wore green (how appropriate) who was Dutch (from Limburg in the utmost south of Holland to be more exact) and looked vaguely like Andre Rieu. He was very enthusiastic about his job, which he very much liked because of all the traveling and the enjoyment with the crew onboard, which outweighed the not so good pay he received. His work was beautiful and we never encountered this much and beautiful flower arrangements since. On some other cruises and also on the Dutch television show featuring life on board Rotterdam, we indeed saw florist(s) wearing yellow.

Who am I to doubt your (inside) knowledge, maybe the colors have changed recently, but on our TA on Noordam we met up with the ships florist who wore green (how appropriate) who was Dutch (from Limburg in the utmost south of Holland to be more exact) and looked vaguely like Andre Rieu. He was very enthusiastic about his job, which he very much liked because of all the traveling and the enjoyment with the crew onboard, which outweighed the not so good pay he received. His work was beautiful and we never encountered this much and beautiful flower arrangements since. On some other cruises and also on the Dutch television show featuring life on board Rotterdam, we indeed saw florist(s) wearing yellow.

Hoi Alphen; might be a new thing; florists from Holland; what a concept Did you ask him if he played violin?;) Up to now, the only onboard florists I'm familiar with have all been Indonesian and wear yellow polos. Tot ziens!

For Caribbean cruisez, I thought the florists were contracted by an outside company, and flowers via the flower mart in Miami. Well that has been my experience on the Eurodam.

The florists definitely work for HAL with the vast majority being Indonesian

The florists definitely work for HAL with the vast majority being Indonesian

Darn, wish i could remember the name on the polos they were wearing! Its going to make me crazy! I remember talking to them because flowers are what i went to school for. It started with an M i think...

Whenever we feel the flowers are 'finished', I put them in the wastebasket. No more looking at the past their prime flowers and they are gone. I rinse out the container and leave it empty on the table. Just about always, new flowers appear. :)

Easy. No way I would leave something smelly in our cabin.

That is what they looked like on Day 1!!!

Midway through the week, two new florists boarded. I saw them and wow did I also notice the difference in the flowers. They are very creative and working with basic materials and not necessarily the most pricey blossoms etc made beautiful arrangments.

I noticed right away and made comment they really have talent.

I totally agree with you. The new arrangements in the Veendam's Neptune Lounge were amazing.

Sandy

Hoi Alphen; might be a new thing; florists from Holland; what a concept Did you ask him if he played violin?;) Up to now, the only onboard florists I'm familiar with have all been Indonesian and wear yellow polos. Tot ziens!

After some search in the archives, I did not locate a photo, but I captured him on video, of which a print is enclosed, at that moment he was in a sort of purple. From what he told us, he was travelling from ship to ship, sticking around longer when he liked it there. I did not think of asking about his violin skills though. :D

It was during our TA on Noordam in 2010.

1734527774_FlowermanNoordam.jpg.22bd2084bfbfa12ed1f500b882afab5e.jpg

Archived