Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

quote=phoenix_dream;39700674]I have been Elite status for a long time now (started cruising X in 1993, and have 23 cruises since). I think in fairness, there is a definite change in how it 'feels' to be Elite now versus say 10 years ago. Please know - I still love Celebrity, still appreciate the Elite benefits, and so forth. At the same time, the change is noticeable and I think if you have cruised X for awhile you can feel the difference, and honestly you do miss feeling more 'special' than you do now. It is only human. I am not sure where the fine line is on this point between stating it for the record and just commiserating with other impacted passengers, and being seen as an ungrateful complainer.:)

There are basically two reasons for this. One is of course sheer numbers. No one is special if everyone is special (ok, not everyone but the Elite numbers are now huge). Second, Celebrity is making no bones about their intent to go after the more affluent customers. This has been blatantly stated by the CEO in pretty much so many words. This is a change from the past where loyalty was seemingly valued over sheer cost per cabin. I know behind the scenes there was often some extra attention given to high level suites and so forth, but now it is blatant. Now someone is saying to your face, you are not as important because you are not paying as much. It is one thing to know it, it is another to have it be so obvious. Yes, that's life. Yes, it's a business and this is no different from most businesses. At the same time, for many people it is a statement that before you were an important and valued guest; now not so much. It is more about that, than about what others are getting per se. It is human to react (but not overreact) to that message IMHO.:)

:) This is the best we have seen the situation stated!!!! :) We also have been cruising with Celebrity for a long time our first Celebrity cruise was in 1997, and yes us old timers can really see and feel the change!!!

Thank you for your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Glad to hear that people are boarding later!! Less people when we board. We arrive at the dock 10:30-11 and usually at the Sunset Bar within 30 min. My carry on is my purse/bag and we have our lunch well before the masses arrive and clog the buffet. At 1 we head to our cabins and the rest of the day is ours until dinner. It is a day we pay for in the cruise price so we make the most of it. We always arrive a couple of days before we cruise so we are soooo ready to get on board lol

quote=phoenix_dream;39700674]I have been Elite status for a long time now (started cruising X in 1993, and have 23 cruises since). I think in fairness, there is a definite change in how it 'feels' to be Elite now versus say 10 years ago. Please know - I still love Celebrity, still appreciate the Elite benefits, and so forth. At the same time, the change is noticeable and I think if you have cruised X for awhile you can feel the difference, and honestly you do miss feeling more 'special' than you do now. It is only human. I am not sure where the fine line is on this point between stating it for the record and just commiserating with other impacted passengers, and being seen as an ungrateful complainer.:)

There are basically two reasons for this. One is of course sheer numbers. No one is special if everyone is special (ok, not everyone but the Elite numbers are now huge). Second, Celebrity is making no bones about their intent to go after the more affluent customers. This has been blatantly stated by the CEO in pretty much so many words. This is a change from the past where loyalty was seemingly valued over sheer cost per cabin. I know behind the scenes there was often some extra attention given to high level suites and so forth, but now it is blatant. Now someone is saying to your face, you are not as important because you are not paying as much. It is one thing to know it, it is another to have it be so obvious. Yes, that's life. Yes, it's a business and this is no different from most businesses. At the same time, for many people it is a statement that before you were an important and valued guest; now not so much. It is more about that, than about what others are getting per se. It is human to react (but not overreact) to that message IMHO.:)

:) This is the best we have seen the situation stated!!!! :) We also have been cruising with Celebrity for a long time our first Celebrity cruise was in 1997, and yes us old timers can really see and feel the change!!!

Thank you for your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Of course it's different than 10 years ago. There are a lot more people sailing on a much larger fleet than there were then. Cruising is also more affordable than it was years ago. I also don't really know how anyone could really consider 10 cruise points as a really loyal customer. Celebrity obviously made a huge mistake by setting the standard for their highest tier loyalty program at such a low level.

Another thing that is different than ten years ago is that there really was not much benefit to being in the Captain's Club. Most of the perks that everyone seems to be complaining about were not even part of a program then.

Why take it personal?

The cruise line is to blame, not passengers.

Generally speaking, suite passengers are not special guests anywhere on a ship.

To be precise: not more special than other passengers.

Even more precise: booking a suite does not make a passenger special.

Barbra Streisand could be a special guest everywhere on a ship but not because she travels in a suite.

Suite passengers have a package of privileges specific to a particular ship, and that is fair. No one doubts it.

What is not fair - setting these privileges in demonstrative, insulting way.

Roping seats off in a cruise ship theatre is very poor practice (if it really happens - I haven't seen that on a cruise ship!)

"Should be some consideration given to those who spend a lot more in terms of money"?

Yes, of course.

This is an example of how to do it in a civilized way:

259ygq0.jpg

No. You are wrong. I don't take it personally. It just amazes me that someone lets their own discomfort with other's perks for having a suite let them think that this is considered insulting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Why take it personal?

The cruise line is to blame, not passengers.

Generally speaking, suite passengers are not special guests anywhere on a ship.

To be precise: not more special than other passengers.

Even more precise: booking a suite does not make a passenger special.

Barbra Streisand could be a special guest everywhere on a ship but not because she travels in a suite.

Suite passengers have a package of privileges specific to a particular ship, and that is fair. No one doubts it.

What is not fair - setting these privileges in demonstrative, insulting way.

Roping seats off in a cruise ship theatre is very poor practice (if it really happens - I haven't seen that on a cruise ship!)

"Should be some consideration given to those who spend a lot more in terms of money"?

Yes, of course.

259ygq0.jpg

Guess you have never cruised on the Oasis or Allure. Roped off seating for Gold card guests (Suites and Pinnacle) in Studio B, Aqua Theater and main Theater. The best seats in the Aqua Theater are for suite guests. Three rows to be exact. Both ships have a Suite zone on deck 17 forward for suite guests only. Many of the other RCI ships have areas roped off for suite guests. Cruise lines are starting to reward those that will pay more for the more expensive accommodations.

Never seen ropes on the large RCI ships. I cannot say it never happened, but I have not seen that.

And btw it's a question what seats are the best in Aqua theatre.

Alhough I rank RCI overall higher than Celebrity, RCI is modest in "presentation" and less formal.

Not everything that is tolerable on RCI should be copied on Celebrity - my opinion.

P.S.

Checked my photos - no ropes.

We did 3 B2Bs on the Constellation in Europe in June/July. Yes they did "rope off" a section of the theater for suite guests. Actually they were very high class affairs! Did it bother me, not in the slightest; why would it? The section they roped off was at the back of the downstairs section in the middle. Suite guests pay a whole lot more for the same product (well a better cabin I assume) so they are welcome to a reserved seat in the theater as far as I am concerned.

Beryl

Never seen ropes on the large RCI ships. I cannot say it never happened, but I have not seen that.

And btw it's a question what seats are the best in Aqua theatre.

Trust me for the Aqua Theater on RCI's largest ships there are seats reserved for Suite, Pinnacle and D+ guests and they are the best seats in the house.;)

Trust me for the Aqua Theater on RCI's largest ships there are seats reserved for Suite, Pinnacle and D+ guests and they are the best seats in the house.;)

I think a few stand out passengers should be selected to sit in the very front row, especially when the comedians are on.:D

259ygq0.jpg

That's a photo of the Cunard Royal Court Theatre. The boxes are not for suite users, they are first come first served. Or on big show nights, any Tom Dick or Harriet can advance book one for about $50, which includes some canapés and half a bottle of fizz.

By the way, the visibility isn't great because the glass screens show internal reflections from the foot lights in the box and some of the angles are poor. I prefer to sit right up in the gods where the view is better.

But this sort of system would be ideal for Celebrity Elites. "Not the best views but I really do feel special, look how many cruise points I have". The suite guests would be way down in the stalls, gazed down upon with disdain by their frequent travelling betters, but enjoying a far superior view of proceedings.

Everyone would be happy.

I wonder how they'd squeeze 60-80 people into each box?

Glad to hear that people are boarding later!! Less people when we board. We arrive at the dock 10:30-11 and usually at the Sunset Bar within 30 min. My carry on is my purse/bag and we have our lunch well before the masses arrive and clog the buffet. At 1 we head to our cabins and the rest of the day is ours until dinner. It is a day we pay for in the cruise price so we make the most of it. We always arrive a couple of days before we cruise so we are soooo ready to get on board lol

I guess those extra priority lines for AC, CC and suite guests keep the line moving for everyone even for the Elite Passenger who don't seem to have a separate line for check in. I did see the signs for all of the special check in groups in San Juan but the terminal was empty by the time I got there so I don't truly know what impact the separate lines had for all the other passengers.

I guess those extra priority lines for AC, CC and suite guests keep the line moving for everyone even for the Elite Passenger who don't seem to have a separate line for check in. I did see the signs for all of the special check in groups in San Juan but the terminal was empty by the time I got there so I don't truly know what impact the separate lines had for all the other passengers.

We have found (and other posters have mentioned) that a lot of the time that the regular lines move faster than the Priority lines probable because there are more reps available. Unless there is a delay in boarding, we very seldom run into lines. What gets my goat is that no matter when you board, the luggage always arrives around the same time lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's a photo of the Cunard Royal Court Theatre. The boxes are not for suite users, they are first come first served. Or on big show nights, any Tom Dick or Harriet can advance book one for about $50, which includes some canapés and half a bottle of fizz.

By the way, the visibility isn't great because the glass screens show internal reflections from the foot lights in the box and some of the angles are poor. I prefer to sit right up in the gods where the view is better.

But this sort of system would be ideal for Celebrity Elites. "Not the best views but I really do feel special, look how many cruise points I have". The suite guests would be way down in the stalls, gazed down upon with disdain by their frequent travelling betters, but enjoying a far superior view of proceedings.

Everyone would be happy.

I wonder how they'd squeeze 60-80 people into each box?

This was not about Cunard and how they fill their theatres.

This is an example of a design feature on a cruise ship (no name) that allows "to give some consideration.." without pitting ropes on chairs.:)

BTW suite guests are 5% on Celebrity Eclipse.

I love this thread, it's ripe for flaming...getting popcorn and starting from the beginning...

Hahaha, I swear this board is my main source of entertainment when there's nothing on tv. I have a nice chilled wine...enjoying the entertainment! :p

This was not about Cunard and how they fill their theatres.

This is an example of a design feature on a cruise ship (no name) that allows "to give some consideration.." without pitting ropes on chairs.:)

BTW suite guests are 5% on Celebrity Eclipse.

The statement was (your words), "This is an example of how to do it in a civilised way".

Given your reply, the only question is exactly what "it" is?

• How to deal with suite guests? Nope.
  • How to deal with folks at the higher echelons of the loyalty programme? Er, nope again.
  • How to have perceived better treatment for some pax and charge a premium for it? Well, I'm banjaxed if that was what you were referring to and I doubt it was.

So enlighten me, just what is "it"?

BTW. 72% of milk cows worldwide are some shade of brown. That's a completely irrelevant statistic as well.

Incidentally, if I book a suite on a Celebrity ship, the only way you'll know I've paid a wedge of money for the privilege is if you see me swiping the key card in the door . You'd be surprised to learn that this goes for the vast majority of such pax. In fact, in my experience across several lines it's been the case for all the ones I've met. If you had to pick one out of a line up, I'll wager you'd spot an Elite first.

Incidentally, if I book a suite on a Celebrity ship, the only way you'll know I've paid a wedge of money for the privilege is if you see me swiping the key card in the door . If you had to pick one out of a line up, I'll wager you'd spot an Elite first..

What if they are Elite and in a suite? I guess only half of their body will be identifiable. ;) :D

Hahaha, I swear this board is my main source of entertainment when there's nothing on tv. I have a nice chilled wine...enjoying the entertainment! :p

If you are enjoying this one - may I suggest you bip on down and enjoy "Exclusive - new VIP walkway". That thread is just now "getting underway" and is providing tons of laughs, plus you can get in on the front end of it. Entertainment indeed! :D;)

If you are enjoying this one - may I suggest you bip on down and enjoy "Exclusive - new VIP walkway". That thread is just now "getting underway" and is providing tons of laughs, plus you can get in on the front end of it. Entertainment indeed! :D;)

Thanks! Will do! :D

Archived