Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

I have to agree with what you said. However, if the benefits are going to be shared between lines then the point system and number of tier levels should be consistent between all of the lines. You shouldn't need 10 credits on one line and 15 on another line to reach the top or have only 3 tiers on one line and the others have 4 or 5 tiers. The benefits can vary since the demographic is different on each line. Personally it think it is to easy to reach the top status on Celebrity.

I agree with you, Mike.

On the topic of tiers, here are my thoughts on a tip-top tier. Speaking again as a shareholder (and as a cruiser who wants the best for the corporation and its products), if Celebrity (and Azamara and any others) do switch from credits to points, I'd like all cruise points with any and all corporate owned lines to count toward the tip-top status (pinnacle in current RCI nomenclature or some new, perhaps an even higher one if the big wigs wish). Not toward the lower tiers, just the top one, rewarding a life time of cruise loyalty. Again, my reasoning is that I want my hypothetical couple (the ones who start cruising young and switch among lines as they mature) to have little incentives to chose to stay with the corporation each time they make pass into a new phase.

I agree with you, Mike.

On the topic of tiers, here are my thoughts on a tip-top tier. Speaking again as a shareholder (and as a cruiser who wants the best for the corporation and its products), if Celebrity (and Azamara and any others) do switch from credits to points, I'd like all cruise points with any and all corporate owned lines to count toward the tip-top status (pinnacle in current RCI nomenclature or some new, perhaps an even higher one if the big wigs wish). Not toward the lower tiers, just the top one, rewarding a life time of cruise loyalty. Again, my reasoning is that I want my hypothetical couple (the ones who start cruising young and switch among lines as they mature) to have little incentives to chose to stay with the corporation each time they make pass into a new phase.

You make a very good point about the young cruiser who might switch. However, I would like to see the very top level exclusive to the individual line. I know that my position is in the minority. Here's why I feel as I do: My biggest concern is the complete merger of all brands under the RCCL label into one entity. Each brand has a unique flavor and I believe that will be lost. Celebrity and Azamara are newcomers to the cruise industry when compared to Royal Caribbean and a complete integration might make it more difficult for one who has been brand loyal to Celebrity to gain a "top cruiser" recognition if the Top cruiser definition is based on total days on all lines rather than total days (or points) on the line one is cruising. A complete integration can possibly alter the cruise experience on Celebrity as there might be a push to seek cost reduction based on the RCCL model. I see some signs of that happening now and it is making a difference to me. What ever happens, happens. I have no influence or control other than basing my future cruise decisions on the product that most meets my needs.

That's a photo of the Cunard Royal Court Theatre. The boxes are not for suite users, they are first come first served. Or on big show nights, any Tom Dick or Harriet can advance book one for about $50, which includes some canapés and half a bottle of fizz.

By the way, the visibility isn't great because the glass screens show internal reflections from the foot lights in the box and some of the angles are poor. I prefer to sit right up in the gods where the view is better.

But this sort of system would be ideal for Celebrity Elites. "Not the best views but I really do feel special, look how many cruise points I have". The suite guests would be way down in the stalls, gazed down upon with disdain by their frequent travelling betters, but enjoying a far superior view of proceedings.

Everyone would be happy.

I wonder how they'd squeeze 60-80 people into each box?

I have just cruised with the QM2 and I have not seen such theater boxes. Which CUNARD ship has them?

You make a very good point about the young cruiser who might switch. However, I would like to see the very top level exclusive to the individual line. I know that my position is in the minority. Here's why I feel as I do: My biggest concern is the complete merger of all brands under the RCCL label into one entity. Each brand has a unique flavor and I believe that will be lost. Celebrity and Azamara are newcomers to the cruise industry when compared to Royal Caribbean and a complete integration might make it more difficult for one who has been brand loyal to Celebrity to gain a "top cruiser" recognition if the Top cruiser definition is based on total days on all lines rather than total days (or points) on the line one is cruising. A complete integration can possibly alter the cruise experience on Celebrity as there might be a push to seek cost reduction based on the RCCL model. I see some signs of that happening now and it is making a difference to me. What ever happens, happens. I have no influence or control other than basing my future cruise decisions on the product that most meets my needs.

You're certainly entitled to your concerns, but I highly, highly, highly doubt that will ever happen. The industry is performing quite well with large parent companies operating seperate and independent brands. Yes, the parent companies will have some influence here or there, but I wouldn't expect to ever see all of the RCI / X / Azamara ships flying under the RCI flag.

You're certainly entitled to your concerns, but I highly, highly, highly doubt that will ever happen. The industry is performing quite well with large parent companies operating seperate and independent brands. Yes, the parent companies will have some influence here or there, but I wouldn't expect to ever see all of the RCI / X / Azamara ships flying under the RCI flag.

The RCCL UK operation has decided to run RCL, X and Az as separate businesses, suggesting that they wish to keep them distinct.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909279

There are many signs that RCCL is exercising greater control over X. The drift toward more revenue producing areas, the shifting of key personnel, etc. I read the article in another thread saying that the groups seem to be gaining more independence in UK, but I see a different trend here. Don't see them flying the same flag, but do see the real possibility of extension of the RCCL model to X. The ultimate structure of a new loyalty program might be a clue to the future direction. All speculation at this point.

There are many signs that RCCL is exercising greater control over X. The drift toward more revenue producing areas, the shifting of key personnel, etc. I read the article in another thread saying that the groups seem to be gaining more independence in UK, but I see a different trend here. Don't see them flying the same flag, but do see the real possibility of extension of the RCCL model to X. The ultimate structure of a new loyalty program might be a clue to the future direction. All speculation at this point.

Oh okay, that I mostly agree with. I think I misread your earlier post to imply that you thought they'd all be folded into RCI. The influence of the parent company is inevitable, not only on X. I've noticed longtime HAL / Princess / Cunard cruisers making the same observations following the Carnival Corp acquisition. I'm satisfied so long as they're still run as distinct brands with their own unique feel and identity, which I hope and believe will continue to be the case.

This might be an apples/oranges analysis, but wasn't Michael Bayley an executive at RC, before he took over the helm at X? :rolleyes:

I have just cruised with the QM2 and I have not seen such theater boxes. Which CUNARD ship has them?

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria.

Do a web search for "Cunard Roayl Court Theatre photo" and you'll find plenty of images, the boxes will have the same detailing as in the original picture and, of course, those horrible glass screens. Alternatively, look in the on-line Cunard brochure.

I've not been on QM2 (too big for my taste) but I always understood that the theatre arrangements were similar. Maybe not, if she's a few years older.

• 2 weeks later...

There is now a new thread on the Royal site about an impending new level between D+ and Pinnacle. It seems that there are too many D+ and they are about to be turfed out of the D+ lounge and downgraded to the D lounge where the Ds will be well.. almost disenfranchised...

No matter where the goal line is placed, someone always seems to move the goal posts...

There is a book titled "Who Moved My Cheese" that discussed a similar issue...

There is now a new thread on the Royal site about an impending new level between D+ and Pinnacle. It seems that there are too many D+ and they are about to be turfed out of the D+ lounge and downgraded to the D lounge where the Ds will be well.. almost disenfranchised...

No matter where the goal line is placed, someone always seems to move the goal posts...

Maybe this is why the announcement of the changes to the Captains Club program have been delayed from this summer to next year:confused:

The rumor was Celebrity was adding two new levels. One would presume they would have aligned with D+ & P. Obviously Royal has thrown in a monkey wrench if they are adding a new level between D+ & P:(

Hopefully after Royal makes their announcement, Celebrity will make theirs...

Using a loyalty program is successful to the extent that it encourages people to continue to book cruises in order to reach the next level and improved benefits. The current point, or days spread between D+ and Pinnacle are probably too high to do that. A new level between that two at about 450-500 days would make sense. My guess is that as lower levels become too crowded the benefits will be reduced for the lower levels and added to the higher levels. This would encourage many to move up. Would not be surprised to see Celebrity follow that strategy. Those who lose benefits will be upset, but the answer will be a simple: Just take a few more cruises and enjoy even greater benefits. It's business.

This has been rumored before and quite some time ago. Back then, the new Diamond Plus level would be announced when the last Royal ship added the Diamond Lounge. If my memory is correct that was to happen when the Jewel of the Seas adds the DL sometime in 2015.

But who knows, perhaps RCCL is thinking of combining all three programs and completely revamping the loyalty levels.

The gulf between D+ and Pinnacle is, objectively, just too large. The reality is that most current D+s don't have a realistic shot at reaching Pinnacle, leaving them without a realistic "next level" to shoot for, which is one of the major points of having a loyalty program as Orator noted.

I wouldn't be surprised if D+s are ultimately banned from the Concierge Lounge. In all honesty, the Concierge Lounge was initially designed to just accommodate suite guests and on many RCI ships it is T-I-N-Y. On Voyager and Freedom Class ships, it's a small, windowless interior room that quite frankly isn't appealing. The Diamond Lounge on the Freedom Class ships is unquestionably nicer, with a lovely sea view.

While some D+s will be upset losing CL access, the only ships where it really matters is Oasis / Allure, which has additional offerings in the CL over the DL (we obviously don't know about Quantum/Anthem yet). It doesn't matter on the other ships. So, while there will probably be an outcry, I don't think it's the end of the world. It also makes perfect sense that X and RCI will confer to line up their new levels.

FYI, I'm Diamond on RCI and a few cruises away from D+ under the current system, so any D+ changes will impact me personally.

We are on the Summit in a couple weeks and had really looked forward to meeting Ti-Ann. Unfortunately she is on break and we are stuck with Melissa Snow, who I had previously noted was our least favorite of all. We sailed with her on the Mercury and she was obsessed with a few who pranced about like VIPs. They essentially intimidated and tacitly threatened her, and she ignored everyone else. No matter, we will still have a fantastic cruise. "

Hi again

We just got off the Summit. Mellissa was the hostess and she was absolutely fantastic. We became good fiends. I consider her as good as anyone out there. Her assistant Marlene was also fabulous. I look forward to future cruises with them.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived