Shame on Oceania

G&G

Dave,

You did your "due diligence" and I thank you for it. Also, I stand corrected on this point. Not having the brochures on hand I took OP's word to be correct; apparently she was mistaken (and consequently, so was I).

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to set the record straight :)

Paul

PS Now maybe we can put this particular issue and the thread to rest.

Not so fast.

I reviewed the brochure that DaveFr has posted and it is not the same brochure that I have. Unfortunately I do not know how to post on the CC forum.

There in no blue print in my older brochure that states "Bonus Savings Reflected in Fares Shown Below". How many different brochures do these guys print ?

There is reference to bonus sailings in a dark blue side panel

Oceania does not make it easy.

By the way, the she is a he :cool:

The net fare is all that's important...

While that is mostly true, have experience with PCH using their marketing efforts to not take care of their passengers. We had an "included tour" that was a total failure and caused us to miss something we will never get another chance to see and their response, while acknowledging their failure was that the tour as "free" and therefore they couldn't provide anything back.

As most people know, it wasn't free, we paid for it as part of our fare but, they were steadfast to use the "free" marketing ploy to avoid any action to take care of their failure.

They used their marketing ploys to avoid any compensation or apology for what they did admit was their failure and we were stuck. So beware of unintended consequences from marketing ploys.

Not so fast.

I reviewed the brochure that DaveFr has posted and it is not the same brochure that I have. Unfortunately I do not know how to post on the CC forum.

There in no blue print in my older brochure that states "Bonus Savings Reflected in Fares Shown Below". How many different brochures do these guys print ?

There is reference to bonus sailings in a dark blue side panel

Oceania does not make it easy.

By the way, the she is a he :cool:

I used the "Your World. Your Way" brochure because it is three months old and fits your time frame. I'd appreciate it if you would describe the brochure you received three months ago. What was its title? What cruises did it include?

I've never seen an Oceania brochure that talks about "bonus sailings." The brochures I've seen may mention "bonus savings."

I suppose the brochure you received three months ago could have contained an error in that it did not make clear that the printed fares included the bonus savings. Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake. :D Not every mistake is evidence of evil intent.

I used the "Your World. Your Way" brochure because it is three months old and fits your time frame. I'd appreciate it if you would describe the brochure you received three months ago. What was its title? What cruises did it include?

I've never seen an Oceania brochure that talks about "bonus sailings." The brochures I've seen may mention "bonus savings."

I suppose the brochure you received three months ago could have contained an error in that it did not make clear that the printed fares included the bonus savings. Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake. :D Not every mistake is evidence of evil intent.

I do not think it was a mistake.

We are newcomers to Oceania; first cruise last March. We also have booked two future cruises with Oceania and have cruised for the past 37 years on all major cruise lines; mostly HAL & Princess. I have never seen other cruise lines market the way Oceania does. When I began researching Oceania two years ago I signed up to receive their brochures. I began receiving brochures almost every month with pricing either changing every time or the pricing not available when trying to book. It was very frustrating.

From what you describe it may be deceptive. I suggest you complain to the Department in your country responsible for deceptive advertising. I have in the past and the Government Department has investigated and acted accordingly. More complaints generate faster results.

We had an "included tour" that was a total failure and caused us to miss something ....

That was a Regent deal, as I recall, right? That was a tough story to hear about, and I understand your view completely. Poorly handled.

This thread's kvetch is about fare pricing... sticker price vs, net fare.

I don't think one can get stung as badly by that.

That was a Regent deal, as I recall, right? That was a tough story to hear about, and I understand your view completely. Poorly handled.

This thread's kvetch is about fare pricing... sticker price vs, net fare.

I don't think one can get stung as badly by that.

You never know, just like the phony discounts, the advertising of free things like air fare, etc. can cause similar issues. Look at air fare credits these days, they can give back whatever they like with impunity since it is advertised as "free" and not included. Next thing might be no credits for not taking Oceania air and the reason is because it is free and has no value.

All I'm saying is that all this flim flam and hype can cost you plenty. Bet some of the lesser air credits right now are more than my issues.

Let the buyer beware!!!

Yes, as far as I can the only advantage to early booking is getting the class and location of the room you want. At least on the Rivera class ship there is very few inside and OV rooms so they sell out fast. The same seems to apply to the rooms above penthouse. The price seems to stay the same.

Paul,

I did not imply that O was unique here. All cruise lines are guilty and that's why there should be some kind of legislation to outlaw these practices. What would happen of all of a sudden Hilton started advertising rooms at $1000 a night with 2 for 1 specials?

That's just what we need... more government in every facet of our lives, Health care, Food, and Cars etc. to have government regulating vacations... are you kidding?

Government is not part of the problem:eek: It is the problem

That's just what we need... more government in every facet of our lives, Health care, Food, and Cars etc. to have government regulating vacations... are you kidding?

Government is not part of the problem:eek: It is the problem

RIGHT ON !!!!! This is the best post I have seen on these boards in quite awhile. :D:D:D:D

I really do not think there are any underhanded tricks going on. Cruising is like any form of travel, the price goes up and down as the trip approaches. Just look at air fares, they change day by day. What I do is take the price per day without air so I can compare apples to apples, that way I can shop around different lines and different TA and see what is what.

And the beat goes on!

Just received another Oceania brochure; Alaska 2014. My original post discussed receiving a beautiful brochure titled "The Americas" several days ago.

Both brochures have an Alaskan cruise on the Regatta, 10 days, San Francisco to Vancouver. The same cruise in two different brochures received several days apart has an Inside Stateroom (G) at $1,704 per person, the other brochure $3,549 per person. You need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out :eek:

Here's the difference:

1. Inside "G": $1,704 per person

2 for 1 cruise fare

Early booking savings of $2,000 per stateroom

Government fees $295 per guest additional

No airfare included

2. Inside "G": $3,549 per person

2 for 1 cruise fare

Call for early booking savings

Fares include government fees

Free airfare

This is insane. Why does Oceania do this.

And the beat goes on!

Just received another Oceania brochure; Alaska 2014. My original post discussed receiving a beautiful brochure titled "The Americas" several days ago.

Both brochures have an Alaskan cruise on the Regatta, 10 days, San Francisco to Vancouver. The same cruise in two different brochures received several days apart has an Inside Stateroom (G) at $1,704 per person, the other brochure $3,549 per person. You need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out :eek:

Here's the difference:

2 for 1 cruise fare

No airfare included

2. Inside "G": $3,549 per person

2 for 1 cruise fare

Call for early booking savings

Fares include government fees

Free airfare

This is insane. Why does Oceania do this.

I just looked up the price of this cabin on Oceania's website:

3. Inside "G": $2,549 per person:confused:

This is starting to be like the main stream line where you have to check prices all the time :eek:

I like the old days on O when if you booked early that was the best price as the cruise got closer the prices went up or the discount got smaller

So why book early now when they keep offering deals :mad:

Here's the difference:

2 for 1 cruise fare

No airfare included

Whoa.

I have never seen an "Oceania" brochure with fees unbundled.

Nor one with airfare not pumped in.

Was that truly a brochure from Oceania? ...or a travel company?

The TA's tend to unbundle to show lesser fares.

Whoa.

Sounds like some of the games Regent has played with sending out specials with seeming lower prices by unbundling as you said and after discussions on the Regent Board we found that the prices were identical in the end. In this case, appears the air portion is $550 as if one adds up the unbundled number, that is what is left and that sounds like a reasonable air fare for an Alaska Cruise.

In the end, the prices appear to be the same and simply marketing hype which is annoying at best and unnecessary for a company like PCH. Would assume the same marketing people so not surprised that after they got caught with their pants down with Regent, they have now moved over to Oceania with the same games.

Wait until you get an e-mail or special snail mail with a special for your state or area and after posting on CC you find out that this "special" went out to the entire US and the superspecial fare for just your state or area is identical to the current price for anyone.

The kind of flim flam that one might expect for Carnival or other extremely cheap mainstream lines but, for Upper Premium or Luxury lines, an insult to our intelligence!!!

Whoa.

This came from Oceania! The brochure is named "Alaska 2014 Voyages". It is 23 pages of all the cruises in Alaska 2014.

All the listed fares include NO Airfare or government fees!

The problem I find with the indignation over Oceania (and Regent) advertising unbundled fares is that such indignation is very selective. Oceania and Regent's competition also advertise unbundled fares on their websites. Azamara, Seabourn and Crystal all show fares without airfare or fees and taxes shown. Silversea shows fares without airfare but does include fees and taxes.

I don't doubt that PCH is tired of apples and oranges comparisons of bundled Oceania and Regent cruises and unbundled competitor's cruises that conclude that the PCH cruises are much more expensive. IMO PCH is trying different marketing approaches to see what works the best.

The problem I find with the indignation over Oceania (and Regent) advertising unbundled fares is that such indignation is very selective. Oceania and Regent's competition also advertise unbundled fares on their websites. Azamara, Seabourn and Crystal all show fares without airfare or fees and taxes shown. Silversea shows fares without airfare but does include fees and taxes.

I don't doubt that PCH is tired of apples and oranges comparisons of bundled Oceania and Regent cruises and unbundled competitor's cruises that conclude that the PCH cruises are much more expensive. IMO PCH is trying different marketing approaches to see what works the best.

Good thoughts Dave,

Sure you have noticed that airlines are now required to show the full airfare in all advertising. Would really be good if cruise lines had the same requirements. Seems they are both similar things and should play the same way to avoid surprises with unknown add-ons.

I'm late to the party and maybe shouldn't butt in, but...

Today's mail brought direct from Oceania the aforementioned 24-page Alaska 2014 Voyages full-color brochure which is currently open in front of me.

At the top of the upper-left corner of page 2, inside the front cover, the brochure proclaims "FREE AIRFARE on every voyage." (Caps theirs, not mine.)

Check.

The fare chart on page 13 for the 10-day SF-Vancouver cruise shows the G Inside Stateroom at $2,549 per person, matching the website fare quoted in #41 above, and goes on to state underneath the chart, "Fares reflect all savings and include all government fees and taxes."

Check.

Where is the unbundling and whence the confusion?

I'm late to the party and maybe shouldn't butt in, but...

Today's mail brought direct from Oceania the aforementioned 24-page Alaska 2014 Voyages full-color brochure which is currently open in front of me.

At the top of the upper-left corner of page 2, inside the front cover, the brochure proclaims "FREE AIRFARE on every voyage." (Caps theirs, not mine.)

Check.

The fare chart on page 13 for the 10-day SF-Vancouver cruise shows the G Inside Stateroom at $2,549 per person, matching the website fare quoted in #41 above, and goes on to state underneath the chart, "Fares reflect all savings and include all government fees and taxes."

Check.

Where is the unbundling and whence the confusion?

I also received mine today and it is exactly like yours.

Archived