Do people still use travel agents?

ripjerry95

Bingo. I could've written this post almost exactly. We use an online TA only for perks. But I know exactly the ship, cabin, sailing, everything that I want. So our bookings really are easy for them.

I actually did try to sell travel for a bit, but the people who didn't know what they wanted to do drove me crazy! :o I would take so much time to share my knowledge and match them up to the cruise line that I think would suit them best and A. they either went with a cheaper on line agency or B. They went with the cheapest cruise possible even though I knew it would not be a good fit for them. As a result with B. they said cruising was awful. What can you do? It just got so frustrating. I now just book for us.

I agree with you, cruisers needing/wanting help booking are a vanishing segment of the increasingly computer/internet savvy population - they know, as you mentioned, what they want as well as the exact best price for their choice - to better their research will be an increasingly insurmountable challenge -

here is an example of an ongoing concern with an independent TA who begged for the business and is not delivering ....

so, neither to work as a TA nor booking through a TA (expecting the best price, instead of babysitting services) seems to be advisable ...

WARNING!

Less than a one star rating;

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, owner and president of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, operating as a contractor under the xxxxxxxxxxxx name, should not be allowed to conduct business as a Travel Agency .

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has proven incompetent, unprofessional and incapable to timely and correctly complete our xxxxxxxxxxx bookings made though her on August 13th when she received and processed our $1000.00 cruise deposit.

Each email communication received from 41 years old xxxx xxxxxxxxx is full of errors, containing arbitrary contact phone numbers / birth dates for each traveler and erroneous $ total amounts payable after the deposit. During phone conversations and emails, she promises timely completion of our cruise confirmation without her following up on those.

After 20 days (from Aug.10. to 30. 2013) of repeated e-mailing and payment of our deposit 17 days ago, the cruise line has not received the correct placement of the booking we conducted with xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx –xxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Therefore, following the fruitless communication with xxxx xxxxxxxxx and her recent failing to respond to our emails, we lodged a complained against her with the cruise line and the major travel agency she contracts with using their logo name and email address.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, supervisor @ the major travel agency -Customer Service responded, after receiving copies of our documentation, by repeatedly speaking with its contractor with whom we placed our bookings (B2B) xxxxxxxxxxxx - President/Owner xxxxxxxxxxxxxx who verbally promised again to the major travel agency’s Representative xxxxxxxx rectifying action in the case of our booking. 20 days later, xxxx xxxxxxxx has failed placing de facto the correct bookings with the largest, most popular, fun promising cruise line.

So, to date, this cruise line has not received our correct bookings and we have not received correct confirmation from the agent, nor are we able to access our booking confirmation on the Cruise line’s Website under Manage My Booking.

XXXXXX Travel (the agency which sponsors/contracts the independent agency owner) points out that xxxx xxxxxxxx – xxxxxxx xxxxxx Travel Agency, in Alabama is an independent Travel Agency operator and contractor for xxxxx TRAVEL and solely responsible for any bookings that are placed with her, even though she operates under the auspices’ of XXXXX TRAVEL.

Neither the major cruise Cruise Line nor the contract receiving major Travel Agency are assuming any responsibility for the inadequacy or potentially fraudulent transaction conduct of their contracted travel agencies placing bookings through and under the name of XXXXX or the major cruise line.

This clarification may enlighten and help readers to make an informed decision before running the risk of placing their business with XXXXXX Travel through an apparent ‘fly by night’ operator.

Furthermore, it is remarkable to note the degree of professionalism XXXXXX Travel Company demands and presumably verifies before contracting independent agency operators allowed to place business under the XXXXXX TRAVEL name.

Below is a Copy emailed to us under the XXXXXX Name and to which we responded:

xxxxx, I just tried calling you personally to get a bit more information about your vacation. We missed one another, so I wanted to get a message out to you. I see that you have looked at a price online, which is another reason why I called.

I just wanted to be sure you knew that it takes a real expert to find the best possible deal for your vacation. There are so many different deals out there that only by speaking to myself or one of my colleagues; who search for great deals for our clients every day, can you be sure you’ve received the best possible deal.

Simply call me at xxxxxxxxxxxx With just a quick call, we can show you that our deals are even better than what cruise and tour companies can offer, not to mention much better service.

Keep in mind that there is a HUGE benefit to using a professional travel agent, and I promise you will get completely personalized service. I realize there are other online companies who all probably say they have the best deals too, but let us prove to you how we can beat them!

I want to thank you for giving me a chance to serve your needs personally. I will be YOUR advocate before, during and after your trip.

Again, welcome to the family, I'll keep in touch and I look forward to helping you plan your next step!

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx

XXXXXX Travel

http://www.xxxxxxTravel.com

xxxxx@xxxxxxTravel.com

Combined, we have booked more than 50 cruises within our immediate family and never experienced anything remotely like the above.

Previous bookings made were flawlessly placed with on line travel agencies like XXXXXXXXX XX XX, XXXXXX XXXX, or directly with the respective CRUISE Line which primarily include HAL, CELEBRITY, RCCL and NCL, with 5 Carnival Cruises up to approx. 2005.

Assuming a repetition of previous favorable experiences with the above American Travel Agencies, we failed to investigate the competency of xxxx xxxxxxxx’s, XXXXXXXX XXXXXX TRAVEL AGENCY, relying on the presumed integrity of XXXXXX TRAVEL agent operators, which has obviously proven to have been a grave mistake.

Hence the old adage: BUYER BEWARE.

Beware of Independently Owned and Operated Travel Agency Contractors/Affiliates conducting business under the name of MajorTtravel Agency.

Major Travel Agency is apparently contracting some incompetent, if not fraudulent, irresponsibly operating Independently Owned Travel Agencies. These owner-operators solicit and conduct business under the sponsoring agency’s well know name without following ethical business practices, thus causing financial losses to clients.

The major Travel Agency receiving and processing such contracts with the cruise line, does not assume ANY responsibility for the correctness or validity of such business placed with them by their independent contractors.

The major Travel Agency currently involved into such a transaction states on their web-site:

“xxxxxx Travel™ is a family-owned business that traces its roots back to a Hawaiian travel company owned by the founders during the 1960s. Today xxxxxx Travel, part of the xxxxxx® family of brands, is one of the leading travel agencies in the world and one of the world's largest American Express Travel Representatives. xxxxxx Travel and their network of hundreds of professional and Independently Owned and Operated Affiliates located throughout the globe provide unparalleled service to their clientele.

Hi-I would love to be a travel agent but it almost seems as though it is a dying industry. With being able to book yourself what is the benefit of using a TA?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We have been able to have had the same travel agent for over 24 years.

Love the idea we can always call her when we want to and stop in and see her whenever we want to.

She can solve sudden last minute problems as well as major problems when HAL suddenly charters out our cruise and we are bumped from the ship -- things like that.

Hi-I would love to be a travel agent but it almost seems as though it is a dying industry. With being able to book yourself what is the benefit of using a TA?

I do book my cruises with a travel agent. I can usually get a better price and some OBCs or paid gratuities.

You better really enjoy it then because you won't be making much money.
Wow. Quite the obnoxious and uninformed comment. You have no idea of my research or my circumstances. But thanks much for your concern.

I don't want to go onto details, but I've researched my market and I'm confident that I could have $30,000 in annual revenue without doing any marketing beyond talking with friends. That's a nice base to build from, and I'm optimistic that build I will ... of course I can't make a living off only people I now know, and that's what's good marketing plan is for. Again, I've researched my market, I'm not just crossing my fingers and blindly hoping for the best.

We're talking about affluent folks who go on luxury vacations an average of four times per year, people who are hungering for a travel agent to LISTEN to them and suggest ideas and then do all the work to bring those ideas to life. These are folks who don't want to do any work to look for their travel (like on the Internet) and who, like me, are disappointed and annoyed by our local brick-and-mortar travel agents who have no creativity or energy and just continue to suggest the same lame things either because that's all they know or they just don't care.

I'm sure I'm in a unique circumstance with where I am (in terms of my access to the market I'm targeting) and who I am (my skill set), I'm not saying this would work for everyone everywhere.

But just because an industry has been left for dead doesn't mean there's no money to be made. The light bulb pretty much killed the candle industry, but just three days ago Yankee Candle was bought out for about $2 BILLION. Vinyl records were pronounced dead in the 1980s, but I have a friend who makes a killing selling vinyl right now in his boardwalk shop. It's a small niche market but he knows how to serve it nimbly, profitably, and well.

I intend to do the same.

Edited by CleveRocks

HMMM let me see.

They can rebate gratuities, pay for specialty restaurants, buy wine for the cabin and be someone who can fight for you if your cruise gets cancelled like my first one did

Sounds like you have a great agent. But the one I used was not good. When my cruise went down I had to call and it took three days as they had no idea. We got no perks at all not even a thank you. That left a sour taste for me so I book my own now. If I could find a great one I would use.

Wow. Quite the obnoxious and uninformed comment. You have no idea of my research or my circumstances. But thanks much for your concern.

I don't want to go onto details, but I've researched my market and I'm confident that I could have $30,000 in annual revenue without doing any marketing beyond talking with friends. That's a nice base to build from, and I'm optimistic that build I will ... of course I can't make a living off only people I now know, and that's what's good marketing plan is for. Again, I've researched my market, I'm not just crossing my fingers and blindly hoping for the best.

We're talking about affluent folks who go on luxury vacations an average of four times per year, people who are hungering for a travel agent to LISTEN to them and suggest ideas and then do all the work to bring those ideas to life. These are folks who don't want to do any work to look for their travel (like on the Internet) and who, like me, are disappointed and annoyed by our local brick-and-mortar travel agents who have no creativity or energy and just continue to suggest the same lame things either because that's all they know or they just don't care.

I'm sure I'm in a unique circumstance with where I am (in terms of my access to the market I'm targeting) and who I am (my skill set), I'm not saying this would work for everyone everywhere.

But just because an industry has been left for dead doesn't mean there's no money to be made. The light bulb pretty much killed the candle industry, but just three days ago Yankee Candle was bought out for about $2 BILLION. Vinyl records were pronounced dead in the 1980s, but I have a friend who makes a killing selling vinyl right now in his boardwalk shop. It's a small niche market but he knows how to serve it nimbly, profitably, and well.

I intend to do the same.

You let us know how that works out for you. You seem way overconfident. "Affluent" travelers are the hardest to please and expect so much more from everyone they deal with. Being a TA to affluent travelers isn't for the faint of heart. They will expect you to be available 24/7, no questions asked. Our TA good friends immediately answer the phone for their "affluent" clients, wherever they are, whatever they're doing. They've done it when they've been out to dinner with us. But, they also answer the phone whenever DH and I call, except when they're in church, because we are their good friends. But, their bread and butter is the everyday business traveler, not their vacation ones.

Revenue is not profit. It's just the money that comes in. Believe me, money will go out. There are business expenses that are unforseen. To keep customers, TA's routinely give up money. Also, if you want to build a business, word of mouth isn't enough. You will have to market your business. Ever take any business courses? Do a business plan?

Edited by BND

Sounds like you have a great agent. But the one I used was not good. When my cruise went down I had to call and it took three days as they had no idea. We got no perks at all not even a thank you. That left a sour taste for me so I book my own now. If I could find a great one I would use.

Yes, a bad travel agent is worse than none at all, but a good travel agent is great to have. Ask around (friends, family, co-workers) and ask your ship-mates when you're on board, because you do not have to use a local TA in these days of email and internet everything.

You let us know how that works out for you. You seem way overconfident. "Affluent" travelers are the hardest to please and expect so much more from everyone they deal with. Being a TA to affluent travelers isn't for the faint of heart. They will expect you to be available 24/7, no questions asked. Our TA good friends immediately answer the phone for their "affluent" clients, wherever they are, whatever they're doing. They've done it when they've been out to dinner with us. But, they also answer the phone whenever DH and I call, except when they're in church, because we are their good friends. But, their bread and butter is the everyday business traveler, not their vacation ones.

Revenue is not profit. It's just the money that comes in. Believe me, money will go out. There are business expenses that are unforseen. To keep customers, TA's routinely give up money. Also, if you want to build a business, word of mouth isn't enough. You will have to market your business. Ever take any business courses? Do a business plan?

Thank you for the well-reasoned response. :-)

As a therapist for the past 25 years, I'm definitely no stranger to dealing with demanding people, having things pop up so that my time is not always my own (and my wife is a physician, so she's quite understanding of those demands), and running a small business.

I've treated trauma patients for 25 years. I'm not afraid of hard work, difficult people and all-in commitment. I'm just looking forward to the subject matter being a bit less negative, a bit less life and death.

Plus, as a board member of two charities, I have experience in getting people to part with their money for a good reason.

If everyone was afraid to try something new and see something differently and take some risks, we'd all still be living in dark caves.

Edited by CleveRocks

I've used the same one for over 10 years. Even though she has moved to a different city and opened her own agency now I continue to stay with her. She knows our likes and dislikes, the only cabins we will stay in and gets me stuff I can't get on my own. She just got me a far better deal on our hotel for our pre cruise stay than I could get anywhere and it included a couple of freebies as well. I like the fact that if something goes south with my reservation or travel arrangements that she is there to sort it out for me. I hate crappy elevator music and speaking to a faceless someone who may or may not be genuinely interested in my problem. It doesn't cost me anything to use her as the prices I get from her are as good or better than I can find on my own. I have booked other vacations on my own but for cruises she is my go to girl.

• 10 months later...

I intend to do the same.

Sorry, just saw this comment regarding my comment to you, I know it has been almost a year but I rarely get on here anymore. Too busy cruising and traveling in general I guess.

I really didn't mean to be flippant or rude I was just being honest. You say you are targeting an affluent traveler who cruises at least 4 times a year but isn't sure what they want. Well I hate to break it to you but someone who is affluent and cruises 4 times a year (like I do) knows what they want or else they know how to surf the internet really well. That isn't to say they won't use an agent, but if they have been cruising 4 times a year for any time at all they either handle things themselves or already have an agent or travel club or discount agency or go for the most OBC offered, so expect to give up a certain amount of your commission to keep them happy.

I read in a later post of yours that your wife is a Physician and you already work in the Health Care Industry. While both the Travel Industry and the Health Care Industry are two of the fastest growing job growth areas, Travel Agents are Not one of them unless you want part time or work from home low income (usually an extra income and for travel discounts).

Stay in the Health Care Industry if Job Security and better wages is what you want. Go for the Travel Agent thing if that is your passion and your income isn't needed to support your family. Just some honest advice.

Per CLIA , 65% of cruise bookings are made by TA's .

That is down from 95% when I was a cruise only TA, before the internet

made it easy to find info and book yourself.

Here on CC it appears that there are more direct bookings, but realize that

only a small % of cruisers ever post here .

The days of TA Perks is long gone. If you can't produce , your career will be very short. Yet I know many TA's out there , working as outside contractors for large cruise only travel agency's, that do very well .

If you are booking direct with the C/L , you are paying retail . A good TA will always do better .

Sorry, just saw this comment regarding my comment to you, I know it has been almost a year but I rarely get on here anymore. Too busy cruising and traveling in general I guess.

I really didn't mean to be flippant or rude I was just being honest. You say you are targeting an affluent traveler who cruises at least 4 times a year but isn't sure what they want. Well I hate to break it to you but someone who is affluent and cruises 4 times a year (like I do) knows what they want or else they know how to surf the internet really well. That isn't to say they won't use an agent, but if they have been cruising 4 times a year for any time at all they either handle things themselves or already have an agent or travel club or discount agency or go for the most OBC offered, so expect to give up a certain amount of your commission to keep them happy.

I read in a later post of yours that your wife is a Physician and you already work in the Health Care Industry. While both the Travel Industry and the Health Care Industry are two of the fastest growing job growth areas, Travel Agents are Not one of them unless you want part time or work from home low income (usually an extra income and for travel discounts).

Stay in the Health Care Industry if Job Security and better wages is what you want. Go for the Travel Agent thing if that is your passion and your income isn't needed to support your family. Just some honest advice.

Never said these folks are cruising 4 times a year. Traveling for leisure 4 times a year, yes. Not always the same stuff, not always the same place, not sure where to stay and what to do, not wanting to spend the time doing the research but not wanting to roll the dice and gamble either.

I've already found a good niche, a good market, but effective marketing is not only reaching people who want your service, it's also growing the market by helping people realize they want your service when they never knew they wanted it.

The personalized service, the extreme hand-holding, is what sets me apart. I'll give you an example of how extreme (I'll just leave out identifying details as I don't wish to be indiscreet).

An acquaintance asked for arrangements for herself/husband and their four grown children and their kids to go to a major American city not especially known for leisure travel per se; she had a grandchild who was incredibly eager to see a certain attraction in that city and she wanted to take the entire family for that kid's birthday. I told her I knew nothing about that city but I'd do my homework and put together what she wants. She offered to pay my airfare and one night's hotel to go there myself, check it out personally and come back with my recommendations about quality, walkability, views, eats, etc.

This was a win-win situation. She didn't pay for my time or my meals (nor did I ask), but I got to learn my way around a place I'd never been, spent time talking with managers and concierges to get good local info, saw and walked and tasted things for myself, etc., so that not only could I give her all the info she wanted, I now have all that good familiarization that I'll be able to use in the future for use with others. She was so thrilled that I would take the time to check it all out for her and decide for her exactly what she wanted based upon my listening to her wants and needs and translating it into the real thing.

It's not like the commission on 5 hotel rooms for three nights made me a lot of money. But you can imagine the word of mouth I'm deriving from her incredible feelings of trust, loyalty and love she now feels for me. I wouldn't have gone to that extent for just anyone, but she's a very outspoken, demonstrative and well-liked person in these social circles, and thus making her the most satisfied customer in the world has paid off beyond what I earned directly from her. People are getting to know that I'll go the extra mile for them, no pun intended.

Haven't quit my day job. I'm still growing. Also, I'm still doing this under someone else's aegis. I don't have my own agency number yet. I'm in a set-up similar to being an outside agent, except that I have my own business name and carry my own insurance for errors and omissions. I book and get my commissions through that 3rd party and that third party earns 20% of my commissions. When I'm confident I'm solid and will stay that way, I'll get my own number and be totally on my own.

The major industry in my area is downsizing, and this affects not only those laid off employees but all the businesses those employees (and those businesses) do business with, so there's been a ripple effect through the entire local economy. People are feeling a little iffy about finances in this local area and are traveling less than they had, myself included. (If a few thousand people are laid off at a time, most lose their health insurance, which means they seek health care less often and may also mean they move out of the area completely, which in turn affects my family's primary income, and so on ....)

I'm having fun, learning A LOT, and building the foundation for a successful enterprise.

I do, only for the sake of having someone to talk to face to face. They dont give me ANYTHING for free AT ALL. They gave me 5% discount on my second cruise just because the attention I received on my first cruise with them was beyond terrible. Did not affected my cruise at all, but I made sure they knew how poorly customer service I got. I only came back to the same agency because the actual owner invited us lunch to discuss about it and offer himself as our new TA, on top of the 5% discount.

But no, we dont get any paid gratuities or OBC or credits or freebies or specialty restaurants or nothing. Maybe for our next cruise we will book directly with Royal since other than the face to face factor, we get no other benefits.

This is really just plain dumb to put up with. Get another TA!

Scott & Karen

Never said these folks are cruising 4 times a year. Traveling for leisure 4 times a year, yes. Not always the same stuff, not always the same place, not sure where to stay and what to do, not wanting to spend the time doing the research but not wanting to roll the dice and gamble either.

I've already found a good niche, a good market, but effective marketing is not only reaching people who want your service, it's also growing the market by helping people realize they want your service when they never knew they wanted it.

The personalized service, the extreme hand-holding, is what sets me apart. I'll give you an example of how extreme (I'll just leave out identifying details as I don't wish to be indiscreet).

An acquaintance asked for arrangements for herself/husband and their four grown children and their kids to go to a major American city not especially known for leisure travel per se; she had a grandchild who was incredibly eager to see a certain attraction in that city and she wanted to take the entire family for that kid's birthday. I told her I knew nothing about that city but I'd do my homework and put together what she wants. She offered to pay my airfare and one night's hotel to go there myself, check it out personally and come back with my recommendations about quality, walkability, views, eats, etc.

This was a win-win situation. She didn't pay for my time or my meals (nor did I ask), but I got to learn my way around a place I'd never been, spent time talking with managers and concierges to get good local info, saw and walked and tasted things for myself, etc., so that not only could I give her all the info she wanted, I now have all that good familiarization that I'll be able to use in the future for use with others. She was so thrilled that I would take the time to check it all out for her and decide for her exactly what she wanted based upon my listening to her wants and needs and translating it into the real thing.

It's not like the commission on 5 hotel rooms for three nights made me a lot of money. But you can imagine the word of mouth I'm deriving from her incredible feelings of trust, loyalty and love she now feels for me. I wouldn't have gone to that extent for just anyone, but she's a very outspoken, demonstrative and well-liked person in these social circles, and thus making her the most satisfied customer in the world has paid off beyond what I earned directly from her. People are getting to know that I'll go the extra mile for them, no pun intended.

Haven't quit my day job. I'm still growing. Also, I'm still doing this under someone else's aegis. I don't have my own agency number yet. I'm in a set-up similar to being an outside agent, except that I have my own business name and carry my own insurance for errors and omissions. I book and get my commissions through that 3rd party and that third party earns 20% of my commissions. When I'm confident I'm solid and will stay that way, I'll get my own number and be totally on my own.

The major industry in my area is downsizing, and this affects not only those laid off employees but all the businesses those employees (and those businesses) do business with, so there's been a ripple effect through the entire local economy. People are feeling a little iffy about finances in this local area and are traveling less than they had, myself included. (If a few thousand people are laid off at a time, most lose their health insurance, which means they seek health care less often and may also mean they move out of the area completely, which in turn affects my family's primary income, and so on ....)

I'm having fun, learning A LOT, and building the foundation for a successful enterprise.

I am glad you are enjoying what you are doing and that you are passionate about it. I always say, don't chase money, do what you are passionate about and the money just may find you. Good luck to you.

I use a TA. While I get fairly minimal perks, I know that she's there for me if anything goes south. Plus, she's my sister-in-law. :D I'm one of those that has already picked the itinerary, ship, date, cabin, et cetera.

Works for me.

We always use a TA. We always get a small perk, which is nice. When we originally began using him, he would help us with the selection of cabins on specific ships. We now know when we want to go, what ship we want to be on and generally around what area we want our cabin. I could do it myself, but calling him saves us time and I don't lose my patience. We know him well enough now, and he knows what we like...but more importantly what we don't like, that when I call him for our next booking, he will tell me straight up, "you aren't going to be satisfied" or "are you sure about this?" and he's spot on. He has also solved some problems we've run into in a way that saved us from losing money. Now, I call him up, give him a couple of weeks that are good for us and he calls me back with the options that fit. If it's a new port on our cruise, he's already been there and he tells us the good, bad and ugly. He also books our travel insurance. He's familiar with any of us that have a pre-existing, which are on Medicare, what our ages are and I now don't have to sort through the policies and companies. It's a fabulous time saver, stress reliever and then I just have to decide is whether we will fly or drive to the port and what hotel we will use pre-cruise/post cruise.

• 3 months later...

I ALWAYS use a TA (always online) to book every cruise. I have only booked my last 3 cruises (all booked at once) with the cruiseline (because of a sale they were having and I didn't want to lose out while my TA was on vacation) and then immediately transferred the booking.

I have found with a TA, I usually get better prices than booking with the cruiseline (since they usually have an area held and usually at a better price), free OBC <----that's the REAL BIGGIE, free gifts every once in awhile and so on. It's definitely worth it to me to get all the extras.

I can tell you that the normal brick and mortar offices around town can NEVER match ANYTHING close to the big online TA's. I feel they are the dying breed. :(

In the beginning of our travel (before internet) we had to use a TA. You were at their mercy back then. Our first cruise in 1993 I think I paid about twice as much for an inside cabin than what I get a balcony cabin for today. It was probably a rip-off but we didn't know any better. Today I do all my own travel arrangements, air, hotels, car rentals, cruises etc. I too wanted to be a travel agent (over 20 years ago)and considered it seriously before I started the business I am in. I am glad I did not. I enjoy doing the research for myself and my friends who travel with us but beyond that I don't think I have the patience for demanding customers.

For cruises I do all the research then call my PVP at Carnival. I also book all my own airfare directly with the airlines and bid for hotel rooms on a famous bidding site. I also bid for car rentals. Because of my frugality I am able to take 3-4 week long trips per year. My sisters on the other hand don't like the process of all the research etc. so they book with a TA. When I have done the research into their identical trip I could have saved them hundreds of $$. but they just don't want the hassle. Maybe one of these days they will let me help them. Then I guess I WILL be a TA. just won't get any commission.

I have a fantastic travel agent that I've been going through for years. He finds me the absolute best flight connections at the best price possible and best cabins/hotels based on the parameters I give him. But most of all, I know he's got my back if I run into any kind of trouble, ie: airline goes on strike; international incident arises where Canadian citizens are urged to evacuate the country, or any other issue you can think of. He even send his home phone number with me to call him in case of emergency. It's the knowledge that I have a reliable and trustworthy source to fall back on if any problems arise that helps to make my vacations stress free and worry free. You won't get that kind of caring service from whichever faceless booking agent you go through on line.

:)

I've booked directly with the cruise line, I've book online, and I've used a TA for my last 21 cruises and the next three I have booked. A GOOD travel agent comes in very handy when things don't go the way you expected them to go.

I have a fantastic travel agent that I've been going through for years. He finds me the absolute best flight connections at the best price possible and best cabins/hotels based on the parameters I give him. But most of all, I know he's got my back if I run into any kind of trouble, ie: airline goes on strike; international incident arises where Canadian citizens are urged to evacuate the country, or any other issue you can think of. He even send his home phone number with me to call him in case of emergency. It's the knowledge that I have a reliable and trustworthy source to fall back on if any problems arise that helps to make my vacations stress free and worry free. You won't get that kind of caring service from whichever faceless booking agent you go through on line.

:)

I beg to differ with this statement. I have an online TA and I have their home and cell phone number. I can call at any time and I can email at any time and get an immediate response (unless they are out of town). Usually when I email with a question, they will end up calling me and chatting. Very friendly and helpful along with personable and doesn't seem like I'm "just another client" to them when we talk. I have had several TA's like this that were from an online booking agent. So, you can get this kind of service with them as well. :) ;)