Flying Air France

cdn.cruiser

Oceania has us flying with Air France. When I googled Air France reviews most people hate their seats in economy and even up graded economy. They say the seats are very hard. Is it really that bad? Anyone who has actually flown with Air France, how bad was it? This will be a long haul flight. Thank you.

We've flown AF several times. I always try for Business Class but I don't recall that the coach seats were any worse than any other coach seats. I've been miserable in a middle seat on Swiss and on Delta in Coach on long hall international flights. The most comfortable has been Lufthansa in Coach. We snagged an back of the plane and it was not full. It was bumpy though.

I have flown with AF multiple times but always in business. They are ok as an airline but CDG airport is a nightmare and I avoid connecting there at all costs.

I agree that most economy seating is pretty awful these days. We generally choose Delta because of the reasonable fee to upgrade to Economy Comfort which is more bearable.

The worst seats we ever had in economy were on Lufthansa last year. It was on one of their Airbus 330 and my husband literally had to climb onto my seat (I was on the aisle) to get out to use the lavs when the passenger in front of him was in full recline.

We've had a number of nice flights on AF (business class). Agree that the setup of the A380 is sweet - especially upstairs. Changing planes in CDG is not a big deal if you look at the airport layout before you get there, and know which terminals you're going between. Signage is abundant; however, it may be a pain if you can't walk far.

If you're transferring from a North American flight to a Schengen destination (most of Europe), you will have to clear immigration, change terminals, and go through security again to get to your connection. OTOH, it's better than the US - where you have to do all that, plus pick up your luggage, carry it through customs, and recheck it.:rolleyes: Have yet to see an immigration line in Europe that approaches anything like the return lines in the US.

We just got off AF Business class (our third time in AF business)

We were upstairs -- which was great - away from all the kids on the flight

But food was not as good as in the past -- way too esoteric for my husband.

Even the bread was bad -- and we flew from Paris!

AF business class seats are not great either so I can imagine how bad coach must be.

We always fly economy or economy plus. On our recent return from Germany we caught an AF flight from Paris to Atlanta. Seats were no worse (or better) than Delta, which we flew from Atlanta to London on the way over. Food was no worse (or better). But the champagne was "real," not just some sparkling wine. Negotiating CDG is not the nightmare we had been led to believe. The airport web page has very good maps and even has a step-by-step guide as to how to negotiate from one terminal to another, although it's been down for several weeks now :o. But perhaps it will be back up before you need it, although the maps themselves are quite detailed. http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Home/

Air France Business Class on the A380 was better than First Class on many other airlines.

And of course, any seat on Air France is better than a seat on a US Airline.

I really cannot agree with that last sentence! Because I thought the configuration on AF was as bad as any I've seen. We did one flight in premium economy and one in business. Neither seat was comfortable, but at least it wasn't the nightmare that the coach section was. Even in business, 2-4-2 seating isn't any fun for those in the middle.

And yes, I thought the seats were harder than usual as well.

As to negotiating CDG, it IS a nightmare. Yes, signage is good. But on all our flights it took us about 45 minutes to get from one terminal to the other. And when we arrived at passport control on one flight and there were two whole clerks working with EU passengers and NO ONE working with non-EU passengers -- and we had a limited amount of time to get to our next flight. We weren't happy. After 10 minutes or so one of the clerks came over to help the non-EU people. We just made our flight, and that was only because there were other passengers who were even later.

Mura

Well, I'm one of those who thinks CDG is definitely NOT a nightmare or even bad to negotiate. There have been some big changes in the last few years there that make it pretty darn easy. None of those busses from one terminal to the next, not that many out stands (if you're flying SkyTeam), good duty free, good AF business lounges, and not a bad time in security. Sure, immigrations can get nasty if you have a few large planes disgorge their passengers at the same time - I've had that at JFK and ATL. Just like at those two airports, if you are switching airlines that are not partners, you will have to change terminals.

I actually like CDG as a connection point better than JFK and ATL. Oh, the coach seats are no worse than any other mainline coach seat. If you think it's going to be "hard", buy an inflatable seat cushion (WalMart, Target, REI, Magellan's, etc.) to make it more tolerable. I know of some hard-core long distance flyers who go to the extreme of buying a Thermarest mattress to use on any airline seat they use...

Edited by slidergirl

We flew our return flight on Air France in economy last fall, CDG to YYZ. I can't say the comfort or lack thereof was any different than any other long-haul flight I've had. My DH and I are of average build and height so if you're taller or heavier than average, you may have more issues than we did. The airport was horrid and I personally would avoid it again at all costs. But the in-flight food was fantastic, far better than anyone else in the same class.

Put me down in the pro-CDG camp. The new concourses make for much better connections, fewer bus rides to remote hardstands, and a newer, cleaner airport.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and posit that most of the complaints about "I hate airport XYX" is that they are large, imposing constructions. Those folks seem to want to have an airport with maybe 3 gates, serving just their flights. Well, that doesn't happen. And if you don't like large airports, don't fly to/from/through them. Oh, but you want that convenience of few flights and to your destination?

Atlanta has seven concourses, Madrid is huge, CDG has multiple buildings, LHR has T1-T5 in separate buidlings. But are they "bad"? Do they have basic sanitation issues, lines that last for hours, facilities that were obsolete in 1970? Are you talking about connections within an airline/alliance or outside? LAX can work fine if you are in one terminal, or can stay airside. Have to make the switch to/from TBIT - another story.

So let's sum it up on AF. The ride was bumpy (post #2), the food was esoteric (post #6), the seats aren't good (post #9 - though the middle on a 2-4-2 is only one seat from the aisle, just like a window!). OMG - I guess they should be going out of business soon.

Bumpy rides aren't the fault of the airline (though selecting a seat in the back will aggravate the ride). Esoteric food is in the eye of the beholder. And seat cushioning is like hotel beds - some like them firm and supporting, some like softer.

And finally to the OP: Oceania has you on AF. At this point, it's a done deal. Are you looking for confirmation that you did the right thing by going with cruiseline air? Are you worried that the seats will be like the wooden benches of ancient Aeroflot? Or are you just "worried"?

I'll climb down from the soapbox now....

I'm gonna stick my neck out and posit that most of the complaints about "I hate airport XYX" is that they are large, imposing constructions. Those folks seem to want to have an airport with maybe 3 gates, serving just their flights.

My issue with CDG isn't the building itself or the operations. My problem was with the staff. Rude rude rude and the information offered by them was worse than no information at all. It was completely wrong. BTW - I love connecting through ATL. It's one of my favourite airports.

I guess we all have different levels of tolerance. I find CDG a good airport with very helpful and polite workers. Last time there ( 2012) we had no issues with long lines and we breezed through the terminal. Now for a place I hate, it is preclearing US customs in YYZ. Agents can be abrupt, rude and there are often lines that stretch for hours with not nearly enough agents working the booths. Last year we barely made our flight to

LA after waiting 2 1/4 hours to clear. It seemed everyone was being asked many more questions than usual. We now try to fly from YOW if heading to the US.

I'll agree with FlyerTalker: it may be the "large airport" syndrome.

I haven't had any encounters with rude employees at CDG. Quite the opposite in my experiences. When I had to have wheelchair assistance after an accident, they were extremely helpful, more so than the US airports I transited through on the same trip. Outside of that, I've had my questions answered correctly and politely. No barking TSA clerks, trying to assert their non-existent authority. Any large airport will take time to transit. LAX is nasty if you have to change terminals, ATL has all those piers, JFK T4 alone takes 45 minutes now to go from one end to the other. IAH is horrid to go international to domestic (twice on SkyTeam flights I had to actually collect my bags and drag them with me to another terminal on those nasty little trams).

I like CDG so much that, when I have to spend a night between flights, I'll stay at the Sheraton inside the airport! Easy RER into Paris for dinner, step right out into T2 in the morning for the flight. And, I can pick up some tasty sandwiches for the flight at Paul ;)

I should hope not, since the TSA is a US agency. ;)

True;) No barking French security clerks :D

I was trying to compare CDG to JFK/ATL/IAD/LAX, where there ARE barking TSA clerks. When I was wheelchair'd around CDG, the security people were very respectful. Not like the welcome I had a DIA on the same trip; he couldn't grasp the concept that I could NOT stand up on a leg that was shattered 5 days prior with only a pre-surgery cast on it...

• 1 month later...

We originally were flying Delta from JFK to Venice. Last week we were notified of a change. Now we are flying from JFT to CDE then Venice. Our return flight from Barcelona also stops at CDE. We have a layover at CDE of approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes each way.

The CDE to VCE and Barcelona to CDE and CDE to Atlanta legs of the flights are handled for Delta by Air France.

If any of you can help, we have several questions because it has been 19 years since we've been at CDE, and I'm sure there have been many changes.

When we arrive at CDE will we need to clear customs before boarding the Air France flight to VCE?

Will we need to obtain our baggage or will Delta transfer it to Air France?

How is movement between the terminals - bus/people-mover/rail??

Our cruise ship arrives in Barcelona at 5am? Our flight is scheduled to leave at 10am? Is this doable?

I am thinking 1 hour 45 minutes each way at CDE is enough time - do you agree?

Thanks for any answers/advice.

When we arrive at CDE will we need to clear customs before boarding the Air France flight to VCE?
Assuming you actually mean CDG, you will clear immigration - customs at VCE.

Will we need to obtain our baggage or will Delta transfer it to Air France?
Baggage will be transfered on the outbound at CDG without your involvement.
How is movement between the terminals - bus/people-mover/rail??
Your connection will be between T2E and T2F. Very well documented on the AF website. Look for their info on connections at CDG.
Our cruise ship arrives in Barcelona at 5am? Our flight is scheduled to leave at 10am? Is this doable?
I am not thrilled, as those early "arrival" times seem dubious at times. As for the 1:45, it should be fine, but don't dawdle. You have a good deal of distance to move. Edited by FlyerTalker

You are correct - I meant CDG - for someone that spent 27 years in the military, I am terrible at abreviations and acronyms.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Edited by jsmac3
Add sentence.

Something you can do to help you ease your way in CDG is to look at which gates your flights arrive/depart from for a few days before your flights. Then look at those location on the maps. It will give you a little idea of how to transit. Since your are all SkyTeam, you get to stay within T2. F and E are just the left and right sides of the terminal. It's pretty easy to transit there!!! Be sure to stop by one of the Paul stands - I always pick up a little baguette with brie for the wait for the flight:D