Booked on Jewel but concerned over bad reviews

debbk

My DH and I are booked to go on Jewel of the Seas in March and it is the first time I have managed to get him to agree to go on a cruise so need it to be great in order to be able to do more in the future. I have sailed myself many times before in the past so have a better idea of what to expect.

I have been reading all the reviews lately on the Jewel and they have not all been positive with lots of mention of the food not being so good and bad smells. I appreciate this ship is now getting old and is due to go into dry dock in a couple of years time but anyone had any experience of this ship lately or do you think It would be safer for me to cancel and re-book on a newer bigger ship?

We've been on the Jewel about 5 times, as recently as one year ago and have no complaints. Many love the size of the ship and the open feeling because of all the glass. To us, she is a beautiful ship.

With that said, she is not the largest ship and like many other classes of ships, does not have the variety of restaurants (jewel has a few) , entertainment (no ice rink or diving show) and sports venues (no flow rider or zip line) that the Oasis class has. Freedom has the flow rider, and ice rink. If these things are important, you might consider a different ship

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

M

We were on the Jewel in May. There were no bad smells. It was beautiful. The ship was very clean and in well-maintained condition. The WJ was the best of any ship we've been on because of the food, selection/variety, and the venue itself. The food in the MDR was very good - we really like the new menu. Not sure what "bad" reviews you are referring to, but had I written a review, it would have been positive overall. We thought the entertainment was lacking, and we missed the Royal Promenade, but to be honest, on such a port intensive itinerary, it really didn't matter so much.

Edited by DonnaK

We were on the Jewel in April. The only other cruising experience we've had was on the Oasis. I loved the Oasis, and thought the Jewel might be too small and bore me/us. I was wrong. The Jewel is a very nice ship. The food on it was no different than the Oasis. We had no complaints with the food.

The WJ has indoor seating, but to really enjoy your meal there is seating outside on the stern (Just walk out the rear doors with your food, and enjoy!). Fantastic place for breakfast or even sailaway from port.

There were a few times where we'd get a quick hint of something foul in the air, but it was gone as quickly as it came.

The only thing I didn't enjoy on this ship was the solarium. I felt it was too small and loud at times. I also didn't like the 'feel' of it - kinda cheap looking, but I understand that is a sign of its age.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure he will too!

Edited by dpmfloyd
spelling!

Agree with all the previous posters. I was surprised how much I enjoyed sailing on her. All the glass is beautiful. And the food is the same menu across the fleet- I didn't notice a poorer quality on the Jewel. I did miss Central Park from the Oasis but I found the champagne and schooner bar areas on the Jewel more than made up for it.

You have to really "read between the lines" on reviews. Over 15 years and 22 cruises I find that reviews really only help set reasonable expectations. For example if you are a food critic and expect 5 star dining, you will likely be disappointed. But if you realize that they are making 3000 meals on a ship at sea, you will find that most meals, in my opinion, are good to excellent. If you consider that if you order Prime Rib and don't like it, send it back and get something else. Try a new food, it's free.

Keep in mind, it's a ship at sea, 100% self contained and moving. They age, and things happen. They do a great job correcting issues, but you are at sea hundreds of miles away from parts, etc. So the carpet is worn in spots, but that's why it's going into rehab and is a cheaper cruise.

Cruising is all about managing expectations. IMHO most negative reviews are from those who had unrealistic expectations. If you read the negatives with a "grain of salt," and I do, and use them for some reasonable expectation ("yeah there is an odor on deck 2 between these 5 cabins so I'll book a different location,") you will find you'll likely have all expectations exceeded and have a great time.

For me, any day cruising is better than any day not cruising. Have a great time. Let us know what you think when you get back.

We haven't been on Jewel but we too will be on her in March. We were on her sister ship Brilliance last March and loved it. This will be our 9th straight year sailing RCCL and all the ships have been great. We have no concerns regarding Jewel.:) Food has been consistent on all ships - In our opinion, every RCCL ship we've been on the MDR dinners have been average. We've become burned out on the entree choices, atmosphere, and food quality in the MDR. When we want average food we go to Windjammer buffet which has an atmosphere that is more subdued, calm and quiet. We dine at Chops and Portfino 4 nights on a 7 night cruise.

As someone else said, you really need to read between the lines and sift out the exaggerated complaints on reviews. Sometimes there will be a legitimate major complaint, but often times it's minor things being blown out of proportion.

Edited by bouhunter

To follow up on what Papaflamingo posted, you will find quite a few negative reviews on any ship in the fleet. Not just Royal but any ship. Just the nature of some people. They don't have anything good to say and are willing to share it. When you have a good to wonderful cruise you often forget to share that with future cruisers. I'm one of those people. :o However, on my last cruise I did post a CC review on the boards, but not on the review board.

I have read nothing but great things about the Radiance class of ships and I'm disappointed we won't be sailing on Brilliance as planned in Dec.

You didn't post which ships/cruise lines you've been on. If you share that we can help a little more in providing follow up info.

My DH and I are booked to go on Jewel of the Seas in March and it is the first time I have managed to get him to agree to go on a cruise so need it to be great in order to be able to do more in the future. I have sailed myself many times before in the past so have a better idea of what to expect.

I have been reading all the reviews lately on the Jewel and they have not all been positive with lots of mention of the food not being so good and bad smells. I appreciate this ship is now getting old and is due to go into dry dock in a couple of years time but anyone had any experience of this ship lately or do you think It would be safer for me to cancel and re-book on a newer bigger ship?

Food is too subjective and you can get a bad smell whiff on ANY ship. The Radiance class is wonderful and Jewel is a favorite of many repeat RCI cruisers.

I take the "reviews" on this site with a grain of salt unless they are posted here in this forum by repeat cruisers of whom I trust their opinions and input.

Enjoy your cruise on Jewel :)

I have to agree with all of the above posts. I just came off the Jewel two weeks ago and she is a beautiful ship with a great crew. I love all the glass and those sea elevators. The food in the WJ is probably one of the best of all ships and she still has that great aft outdoor area.

She also has the only Sea View Cafe left on this class of ship, which as an Ex-Pat Brit I enjoy being able to get Fish and Chips. It is located on Deck 12 Starboard. I also agree that the Champagne and Schooner Bar areas are great, and much better than Voyager or Freedom class.

My only complaint was that it was the first time for me for MTD and it was very crowded even at 8.45 pm. I will go back to Late Seating in future, but the ship is great.:)

To follow up on what Papaflamingo posted, you will find quite a few negative reviews on any ship in the fleet. Not just Royal but any ship. Just the nature of some people. They don't have anything good to say and are willing to share it. When you have a good to wonderful cruise you often forget to share that with future cruisers. .

Very well said. :)

Jewel is a great ship with a great crew, and thought the food was very good to excellent our last cruise.....K.O.:)

Take reviews with a grain [or two] of salt. While I may question the unbridled infatuation some have for the Radiance class, they are fine ships and we thoroughly enjoyed our crusies on Jewel and Radiance.

I have to laugh a little at the "this ship is now getting old" comments. Of 21 ships in the RCI fleet. the only ships newer than Jewel are the three Freedoms and the two Oasis class ships. She may not have all the gimmicks that the Freedoms and Oasis class have, but she is a well decorated ship with all the normal amenities plus speciatly restaurants and she has one of the highest space to passenger ratios of any cruise ship anywhere. She is a particularly great sized ship for port intensive cruises.

Unless you want to go surfing, Jewel is a great ship for a cruise.

Edited by mjldvlks

Frequent cruisers are a fickle bunch. We tend to compare / contrast cruises together.

In reality, I have never had a bad cruise out of the 30 or so we have done in our lifetime. There are things I might prefer from one ship or another or ports I like better than others but in reality they are all wonderful.

Our favorite class of ship is the Radiance. I prefer a slightly smaller, more elegant ship. The least favorite was the Oasis, just too big and family orientated for us.

Just my opinion - there are plenty (including many of my friends on these boards) who disagree with me. That's OK - different strokes for different folks.

I have to laugh a little at the "this ship is now getting old" comments..

LOL! No doubt. I seen that said about Freedom a while back :rolleyes:

Have the latest and greatest ships spoiled people so much that now 7 year old ships are considered "old"? :confused:

The average life span of a cruise ship is what? 30 years or more?

LOL! No doubt. I seen that said about Freedom a while back :rolleyes:

Have the latest and greatest ships spoiled people so much that now 7 year old ships are considered "old"? :confused:

The average life span of a cruise ship is what? 30 years or more?

I also think RCI does a pretty good job of keeping its ships in good repair. We have cruised Monarch when it was the oldest and Independence when it was the newest, and they all seemed clean and well maintained to me. You will see some wear and tear from time to time, but for ships that are in use pretty much constantly, all the ones we have been on have been in pretty good shape.

Edited by mjldvlks

I also think RCI does a pretty good job of keeping its ships in good repair. We have cruised Monarch when it was the oldest and Independence when it was the newest, and they all seemed clean and well maintained to me. You will see some wear and tear from time to time, but for ships that are in use pretty much constantly, all the ones we have been on have been in pretty good shape.

Ive only been on 3 but I agree totally

You have to really "read between the lines" on reviews. Over 15 years and 22 cruises I find that reviews really only help set reasonable expectations. For example if you are a food critic and expect 5 star dining, you will likely be disappointed. But if you realize that they are making 3000 meals on a ship at sea, you will find that most meals, in my opinion, are good to excellent. If you consider that if you order Prime Rib and don't like it, send it back and get something else. Try a new food, it's free.

Keep in mind, it's a ship at sea, 100% self contained and moving. They age, and things happen. They do a great job correcting issues, but you are at sea hundreds of miles away from parts, etc. So the carpet is worn in spots, but that's why it's going into rehab and is a cheaper cruise.

Cruising is all about managing expectations. IMHO most negative reviews are from those who had unrealistic expectations. If you read the negatives with a "grain of salt," and I do, and use them for some reasonable expectation ("yeah there is an odor on deck 2 between these 5 cabins so I'll book a different location,") you will find you'll likely have all expectations exceeded and have a great time.

Exactly!! I read many Jewel reviews before we booked for next April and I came out of them impressed using the same logic as papaflamingo. We first cruised with our kids this past April and were surprised that all they really wanted was the rock-climbing wall and mini-golf. Check. So now they're excited that Jewel has pool tables and a slide at the swimming pool. Bonus! But the common thread in the reviews is that the service on this ship is far superior to any other ship (read the Cruise Critic review). I don't know if that's because of the management on the ship or because they feel they need to compensate for the age. And many comment on how gorgeous the ship is with lots of glass and a feel of combined beauty and comfort that most ships have lost now that they're trying to top each other with zip lines and water slides that go off the ship. So we're excited because we feel prepared for the negatives and look forward to the positives.

I was on the Jewel in April and had nothing but a great cruise and experience. Take the good and the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Use them as a guide but remember they are based on the experience of that writer at the time. Doesn't mean every passenger experienced the same thing. The Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful ship and you'll have an awesome cruise!

My trip report is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826302

Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

OP, stop reading the reviews! You will make yourself crazy, seriously. Just enjoy this time leading up to your vacation and do not worry. As you can see this entire thread is extolling the virtues of this magnificent ship. We had a fabulous B2B on Jewel last year and we had no complaints. :)

We were on the Jewel in May as well. We thought it was in great shape. The crew in our book was fantastic. They remembered your name which I think is great. We had the best cabin steward. As for food. We thought the food in the windjammer was excellent. The best windjammer food we have had in a long time. Great selections and always hot. As a matter of fact we enjoyed it so much we even ate dinner there most nights. Only ate in the dining room one night.

You just have learn that some people are not happy unless they are complaining so I make a point to never listen to anyone iChat complains about everything. A vacation is what you make it. I always choose to make it great no matter what happens.

I don't even want to beging to tell you about the bad reviews I read on my first ship "Sovereign Of The Seas" :eek: If I would have went by the reviews I would not have went on that cruise, but I did and did not experience any of the "BAD" things that I read and I am still cruising (Next in 33 days :))!

Did sister ship to Jewel (Serenade) before refit and loved it. I had read some of the same thing about her that you are reading about Jewel and I now have a booking for Jewel (will not be refitted yet) for next year. I really don't care about the reviews be it stellar reviews or bad reviews because I am going anyway and make my own opinions about the ship! I don't go around looking for things to complain about and every meal I eat does not have to be mouth watering delicious for me to enjoy. In my cruises thus far I have not seen one person being carried off the ship at the end because they were suffering from malnutrition! :rolleyes:

Edited by bigque