Would You ....

Lottycruiser

If on embarkation day , your suitcase didn't arrive before your dining reservation time and you were dressed in shorts and t shirt , would you still use the dining room or would you feel more comfortable to use the windjammer instead ?

Linda .

I would use the dining room and the waiters have told people they want you there. My wife still likes to have boarding pictures taken, so I wear long pants boarding with swim trunks in my carry on. I would however take off my ball cap! ;) I get more annoyed, and its just the way I was raised, not to wear ball caps indoors.

If the cruise staff doesn't want someone in a particular venue in a particular mode of dress, I am sure they will address it :cool:

They do address it, both in the printed Cruise Compass, and with a sign at the door to the Main Dining Room.

OP asks a valid question and it has been addressed here many times; with the (unwritten) exception of the first night due to luggage issues, shorts are not permitted in the MDR at dinner. Pretty simple.

If on embarkation day , your suitcase didn't arrive before your dining reservation time and you were dressed in shorts and t shirt , would you still use the dining room or would you feel more comfortable to use the windjammer instead ?

Linda .

I approached the MD and told him that I had not received my luggage yet and he was like " Its ok, sir, this happens allot, but thank you for speaking with me" So if you dont get your luggage just go to the MDR.

On my last cruise, the 1st bag didn't arrive until I was in the shower right before dinner. The 2nd bag (with my pants) arrived after dinner. I had a pair of pants in my carry-on, but I almost didn't get to bring it on the ship with me.

I took the transfer bus with the hotel booked as part of my cruise reservation. My carry-on had to go in under the bus cargo area with the rest of the luggage. When they unloaded the bags, my carry-on was loaded on the cart with the rest of the bags while we had to wait on the bus. I had to get permission to get off the bus and grab my carry-on. Good thing I did.

I still would have eaten in the MDR with shorts if I didn't have pants. I think one of my tablemates had shorts that first night and nobody was bothered by it.

Here's the thing - some people have nothing better to do with their vacation than to be critical of other people, especially people they don't know. But here's the real kicker - they won't tell you how they feel to your face but they will say what they want behind a computer screen.

#quotedfortruth

OMG, RIGHT? :eek:

We would clean up best we could. Head to the MDR. Explain to the staff, and see if we can be seated. And, anyone at our table, we would offer an explanation.

Note, I didn't necessarily say we would apologize. But, I believe the polite thing to do is recognize the issue and explain it. At least then they would understand why we are not following the requested attire for the MDR. :eek:

We would clean up best we could. Head to the MDR. Explain to the staff, and see if we can be seated. And, anyone at our table, we would offer an explanation.

Note, I didn't necessarily say we would apologize. But, I believe the polite thing to do is recognize the issue and explain it. At least then they would understand why we are not following the requested attire for the MDR. :eek:

They might be wearing shorts because their luggage didn't arrive yet also!

Here's the thing - some people have nothing better to do with their vacation than to be critical of other people, especially people they don't know. But here's the real kicker - they won't tell you how they feel to your face but they will say what they want behind a computer screen.

#quotedfortruth

I don't see anyone being critical of how people dress as long as they are respectful of the very few rules the cruiseline imposes for MDR attire. To answer the OP's query, shorts are permitted the first night as it is understood that luggage might not have been delivered as yet.

Believe me, if you knew me you would know that I've never written one word on these boards or any other that I would not say to someone's face.

Even if our suitcases do arrive....

I took the time to pick out a nice outfit for the picture.

And with suitcase space to a luxury when we fly, I just leave that outfit on, and go to MDR, like so many others.

Never been stopped, now mind you they are probably dressier than some of the "permitted" outfits.

Sea Ya

I'm going to clean up and head to the MDR for a nice dinner. If my table mates don't like what I am wearing THEY are free to go to The Windjammer for dinner.

Unless they want to reimburse me for all my travel expenses they do not get a vote on how I dress or act on MY vacation.

Linda .

I would probably still go to the MDR (though I would be more likely to be boarding in a comfortable pair of khakis and a polo shirt).

I'd go where I felt like eating. No apologies.

Your table mates may also be wearing shorts under the table.

You got that right. On our cruise last month there were several men on the first formal night in very nice jackets, dress shirts, ties, SHORTS, dress socks and dress shoes.

Hello All,

As a priest, I'm on the receiving end of looks all the time when I'm not in black.. I'll be the first to admit I use to wonder what the big deal would be for a priest to wear black all the time? But trust me, it gets boring really quickly and I, even as a man who loves black (second favorite color to purple), wears my clerical when I'm performing my priestly duty and more formal engagements (good luck getting a tie on my ever again). I see the looks people give me. Then I remember what Jesus said..

Judge not, less ye be judged..

Besides, God's more worried about what our souls look like, and even the most well dressed among us have a few wrinkles.. WE ALL DO.

Peace

Hello All,

As a priest, I'm on the receiving end of looks all the time when I'm not in black.. I'll be the first to admit I use to wonder what the big deal would be for a priest to wear black all the time? But trust me, it gets boring really quickly and I, even as a man who loves black (second favorite color to purple), wears my clerical when I'm performing my priestly duty and more formal engagements (good luck getting a tie on my ever again). I see the looks people give me. Then I remember what Jesus said..

Judge not, less ye be judged..

Besides, God's more worried about what our souls look like, and even the most well dressed among us have a few wrinkles.. WE ALL DO.

Peace

Interesting, but I doubt too many of the "looks" you get for that are judgmental, anyway. That's probably more a case of people looking, because it seems out of the ordinary for them to see a clerical collar with clothes other than the typical "priestly" robes.

But I'm sure you've never judged those people to have been judging you, anyway. :D

#quotedfortruth

Here's the other thing - POT CALLING KETTLE! :rolleyes:

Apologize for what Im wearing? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But Im not likely to board a cruise ship wearing my bathing suit. I will be neatly dressed on boarding day, maybe in shorts but maybe not, but Im certainly not going to apologize for what Im wearing. Especially on the first night!

I wouldnt go to the Windjammer either.

Interesting, but I doubt too many of the "looks" you get for that are judgmental, anyway. That's probably more a case of people looking, because it seems out of the ordinary for them to see a clerical collar with clothes other than the typical "priestly" robes.

But I'm sure you've never judged those people to have been judging you, anyway. :D

Naaah, I've got too many things going on in my head to waste time judging people.. I mean how can I be expected to sing along to Zeppelin, Floyd and Van Halen on a semi-constant mix, praying for those who need it and notice whatever someone is wearing in front of me? :) Thanks be to God, I never learned that lesson..

But I can assure you of this: I walked into a nursing home recently dressed in black, wearing sandals and you know the number one topic of conversation? Those sandals.. you would think my feet were on fire with the amount of attention they were getting..

In the end, the whole fashion thing is just an example of Pride ruining the fun.. and Pride? It's the problem that necessitates my vocation..

Oh and for the record, I sail on my first cruise this Sunday.. Khakis and golf shirt for the boarding and first dinner.. Clerical Grab for the formal evenings..

This DID happen to us on FOS 2011. We were at the pool all afternoon and Muster Drill- No Luggage after that!!!!!

We went to the MDR all sweaty and with pool hair.

The MDR is very gracious and so are the surrounding guest.

It is me that struggled!

next time, we are heading to the WJ

I say, if you want, go on to the MDR and dont worry. It is your cruise and your money you are spending

My DW and I took our first cruise in Sept 2012. I learned a lot from cruise critic forums. One of the things I learned was to take a care-on for Sunday evening, just in case the luggage didnt arrive before our dinner time. So we would never have this happen, we would have our carry-on.

Archived