Reducing Tips

AdamsND04

One of the problems is the industry insists on calling these things tips, or gratuities. IMHO these 'tips' are really service charges, resort fees and/or wage top-up fees. I think most people on CC feel that the daily recommended amount is the minimum and extra tips are warranted for exemplary service. But since the industry insists on describing them as tips or gratuities people will have varying interpretations of; 1) what an appropriate tip amount is and 2) for what services and service levels any tip is warranted.

Royal even acknowledges that its auto tipping program in voluntary and not a required fee. Here's what the FAQ repsonse is;

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

So is not using a service onboard the same as not receiving satisfactory service? I think most of us would say no, but others will have a different interpretation. So OP do what you think is fair and reasonable in your unique situation.

Here's my plea to the cruise industry; if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, please stop calling it a swan, just call it what it is - a duck.;)

I just don't get it. We are talking about less than the cost of one drink per day. I'm all about cutting costs while cruising. I look for on board credit, watch price drops etc. But I just can't justify looking for reasons to reduce the gratuities. That is something that very directly affects the people that are working so hard to make my vacation exceptional. And in our 15 plus cruises, we have always had exceptional service.

If you don't tip the worker, it isn't like they can go out and find passengers to make up for the lost wages.

I think at one point the "gratuities" system made sense. Now, it seems like people are frantically searching for ways to reduce costs and reducing the tips seem to be an option for some. I would be very much in favor of making them a mandatory part of the fare.

I think RCI should add an application to their interactive TV system.

On the last day of your cruise you are required to click on tips. Then you will be asked a series of questions.

How many dinners did you have in the Windjammer or MDR during your cruise?

A few simple questions like that and then the system calculates your tip.

If you don't answer the questions then you get charged the full recommended tips.

I've personally never reduced any tips, but based on my usage I am way overpaying.

I don't eat breakfast, just some coffee via room service. For lunch I'll eat in port or grab some fruit and eat outside somewhere. We only eat dinner in the MDR once or twice during a cruise. The rest of the time we dine in the specialty restaurants and tip there. So for the 5 dinners we have in the specialty restaurants, I am tipping the specialty restaurant staff and the MDR staff for a meal they never served me.

I think RCI should add an application to their interactive TV system.

On the last day of your cruise you are required to click on tips. Then you will be asked a series of questions.

How many dinners did you have in the Windjammer or MDR during your cruise?

A few simple questions like that and then the system calculates your tip.

If you don't answer the questions then you get charged the full recommended tips.

I've personally never reduced any tips, but based on my usage I am way overpaying.

I don't eat breakfast, just some coffee via room service. For lunch I'll eat in port or grab some fruit and eat outside somewhere. We only eat dinner in the MDR once or twice during a cruise. The rest of the time we dine in the specialty restaurants and tip there. So for the 5 dinners we have in the specialty restaurants, I am tipping the specialty restaurant staff and the MDR staff for a meal they never served me.

Again, you are talking about $30-$35 for a 7 day cruise. I think for most people it just isn't a issue.

Again, you are talking about $30-$35 for a 7 day cruise. I think for most people it just isn't a issue.

You're right. For me it's not at all about the money. In the whole grand scheme of things it is a nominal amount. I'm more talking about leaving a gratuity for a service that was never provided.

You're right. For me it's not at all about the money. In the whole grand scheme of things it is a nominal amount. I'm more talking about leaving a gratuity for a service that was never provided.

Maybe you could just consider it a "donation" to someone less fortunate.

in my opinion YOUR wrong. Do a little research into why and who shares the tips, and do just a little research before you make uninformed comments. Thank you

He acknowledged the mistake earlier in the thread, but I'm sure he appreciates you calling him out again. Relax.

One of the problems is the industry insists on calling these things tips, or gratuities. IMHO these 'tips' are really service charges, resort fees and/or wage top-up fees. I think most people on CC feel that the daily recommended amount is the minimum and extra tips are warranted for exemplary service. But since the industry insists on describing them as tips or gratuities people will have varying interpretations of; 1) what an appropriate tip amount is and 2) for what services and service levels any tip is warranted.

Royal even acknowledges that its auto tipping program in voluntary and not a required fee. Here's what the FAQ repsonse is;

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

So is not using a service onboard the same as not receiving satisfactory service? I think most of us would say no, but others will have a different interpretation. So OP do what you think is fair and reasonable in your unique situation.

Here's my plea to the cruise industry; if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, please stop calling it a swan, just call it what it is - a duck.;)

like:)

I am in agreement. This one really takes the prize in the ten years I've been on CruiseCritic. I even got up and walked out in my hubby's shop to tell him about it. I mean $4.23!!!

However, I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he/she thought the entire $12 per day per person was going to the dining staff, so he/she thought he/she was saving $24 for two people.

I notice he/she hasn't been back, either.

Well I do have a job I can't sit all day/night to monitor my posts...

I plan on removing auto tips and doing the "old school" way of using the envelopes, that everyone seems to have a problem with nowadays when that used to be the way of the cruise lines where you hand the money to your cabin steward, waiter, asst waiter, etc.

I find it absurd that the Maitre D is tipped he/she comes and says hi to me once during the week and expects a tip.

I find it absurd that anyone would look down on me for 4.33/day? Are you better than me because you booked a balcony and I'm in an inside room? I can afford it, but if I'm not eating in the establishment for a few nights why pay for something I didn't use?

Yes you are going to say it covers all the other people in the windjammer and etc...but did you ever go find the guy/girl who took your plate at the windjammer and tip them before auto tips? No...so why now?

Yes you are going to say it covers all the other people in the windjammer and etc...but did you ever go find the guy/girl who took your plate at the windjammer and tip them before auto tips? No...so why now?

RCI implemented this auto gratuity because too many people were not leaving tips for their waiters. The waiters do not just work dinners. They are working 12+ hours a day, every day. For this (right or wrong) RCI pays them a minimal monthly salary (I have heard $50 per month). They earn their money from their tips which is NOT just based on weather they served you dinner but did you get fed numerous times throughout the day without having to cook or clean up your mess.

I plan on removing auto tips and doing the "old school" way of using the envelopes, that everyone seems to have a problem with nowadays when that used to be the way of the cruise lines where you hand the money to your cabin steward, waiter, asst waiter, etc.

I find it absurd that the Maitre D is tipped he/she comes and says hi to me once during the week and expects a tip.

I find it absurd that anyone would look down on me for 4.33/day? Are you better than me because you booked a balcony and I'm in an inside room? I can afford it, but if I'm not eating in the establishment for a few nights why pay for something I didn't use?

It is your money and you have the right to do it anyway you want!

I understand why you and others say this. However, it is not the maitre' D whom we are tipping but the Head Waiter, and if you do not see him or her much, it is because s/he is making sure things run smoothly behind the scenes. Trust me, they work hard as well and IMO, deserve the tip as much as anyone. I think your misconception about this position is common, sadly. But like I said, I do understand why you would say this. I hope you will reconsider. :)

Cheep...cheep...CHEAP!

Teddie

I don't have to go find the server because I always leave a buck or two on the table at the WJ--every time, because I appreciate the service.

Teddie

So, OP, did you read my post and realize you are only spending 2 nights in Bermuda, not three? I want to make sure you haven't made reservations in Bermuda that you will be charged for if you do not cancel them.

You're a sweatheart looking out for him like that. Glad to see that you have his back.

OP, say thank you.

I understand what you mean. However, if someone is working to provide you with the drink, then why is it annoying to tip them? They work for tips just like the dining staff, especially those guys out on the pool deck in the hot sun all day long!!

You are right! I do not ever skimp on tips. I pay extra when we eat at Chops and always pay extra to the room attendant (even thought we only have our room cleaned 1/3 as often as we could) and the assistant waiter. I think the drink tips bug me because those receipts are more like a receipt at home, where I fill in what I want to tip. It is just an emotional thing.

• 3 weeks later...

So...re-igniting and somewhat old thread where I had some opinions.

We just got back from 7 nights Southern Caribbean on Jewel of the Seas. This was our 10th cruise with RCI and by FAR the worst service we have ever had in the main dining room.

So...to my earlier point...I believe the automatic tips are having the negative effect. I really wanted to reduce the tips for the waiter and the assistant waiter because they provided sub-par service.

Alas, I did not. I left the $12/day automatic tips on my account and just bit my lip when I shook their hand on the last night.

However, I still feel that I could have and probably should have reduced their tips accordingly.

I really do believe the automatic tips are taking away the motivation of the employees to provide the very best service. Why bother when you know most people will leave the automatics on there?

*sigh*

Perhaps ask your servers in the dining room how they feel about it? I'm sure a reduction in their pay will be fine with them.

Surely their "pay" is what their employer pays them to do their job. Their gratuity is what their customer gives to reward good service. I think this is why there are so many different views on this topic. A gratuity should not be a mandatory charge or it stops being a gratuity!

I will have no problem paying the mandatory amount but just look at is as a service charge as that is what it is. If I get some extra special service then I will tip extra.

The problem now is the confusion between freely given tips and mandatory charges and everyone has their own interpretations.

So...re-igniting and somewhat old thread where I had some opinions.

We just got back from 7 nights Southern Caribbean on Jewel of the Seas. This was our 10th cruise with RCI and by FAR the worst service we have ever had in the main dining room.

So...to my earlier point...I believe the automatic tips are having the negative effect. I really wanted to reduce the tips for the waiter and the assistant waiter because they provided sub-par service.

Alas, I did not. I left the $12/day automatic tips on my account and just bit my lip when I shook their hand on the last night.

However, I still feel that I could have and probably should have reduced their tips accordingly.

I really do believe the automatic tips are taking away the motivation of the employees to provide the very best service. Why bother when you know most people will leave the automatics on there?

*sigh*

See, here's the problem. Rather than waiting until you get home to come here and complain, you needed to speak with the headwaiter the first time you encounter subpar service. We've done that (very rarely) and either service improved or we got new waitstaff. They can't fix a problem unless they know about it. You are paying plenty, so why suffer through poor service.

Archived