Solstice vs Millennium Class

MMeyers87

We are looking to book our third Celebrity cruise on the Summit next year. Our previous two cruises were both on Solstice Class ships (Solstice and Equinox) which we loved. What is the difference in feel and amenities on the "solsticized" Summit?

Our favorite areas to hang out on the Solstice class ships are the Solarium and the Sunset Bar. Does the Oceanview Bar and the Solarium on the Summit offer a comparable feel? Are there any gems on the Summit that didn't get carried over to the Solstice class? We have gone Aquaclass in the past (love Blu) and are looking to do it again, is it pretty much the same experience?

Want to go in with clear expectations so we aren't constantly comparing it to an S-Class once we are sailing. Thanks.

My wife and I appreciate the beauty of S class ships but we really prefer the practicality of M-class by a wide margin.

Anyone who has ever had the good fortune to dwell in an aft FV cabin will not be impressed with aft cabins on S-class.

If you like to dance or sip drink while watching dancers in a lounge, forget S-class.

We have spent many weeks on S-class but we love Constellation and her sisters way more.

Others will of course feel the exact opposite because we all have our own priorities when we cruise.

My wife and I appreciate the beauty of S class ships but we really prefer the practicality of M-class by a wide margin.

Anyone who has ever had the good fortune to dwell in an aft FV cabin will not be impressed with aft cabins on S-class.

If you like to dance or sip drink while watching dancers in a lounge, forget S-class.

We have spent many weeks on S-class but we love Constellation and her sisters way more.

Others will of course feel the exact opposite because we all have our own priorities when we cruise.

Agree. Fortunate enough to have a FV aft cabin for 2 TAs. Best cabin value on Celebrity! Hugh balcony and unlike some of the Aft cabins on S Class, no soot. The advantage for the S Class is the number of Specialty restaurants if that's your thing. The M class size and location of elevators makes it much easier to get to where you're going.

M-Class has more window seats down low indoors for relaxing with a book or cocktail.

M-Class has the T-Pool but no heated loungers like those in the S-Class Persian Garden.

M-Class has a long promenade with seats and a view of the sea.

M-Class MDR has a huge window at the back to view the sea while dining.

M-Class has better storage in the cabins.

Enjoy the M-Class experience but do read recent member reviews.

Penny

Our favorite areas to hang out on the Solstice class ships are the Solarium and the Sunset Bar. Does the Oceanview Bar and the Solarium on the Summit offer a comparable feel?

Unfortunately, absolutely NOT. The T-pool area on. The Summit is very bland and dull. In our opinion it lacks any atmosphere at all. On the S class ships we spend hours and hours in the solarium area. On the summit last year we spent hardly any time at all by the T-pool.

We love both classes. After going on the Soltice and Eclipse in 2011 we were back on an M class this year, the Millennium. While we loved the newness of the S class ships and the new things to try, like Cellar Master, Bistro on 5 and Tuscan Grill, we were very happy to be back on an M class. Since the solicitation they have added some of our favourite new things from S class, but the ship still felt like an M class with the beautiful MDR, the very convenient 3 banks of elevators (vs 2 on S class), and great venues for socializing. And unlike the previous poster we actually prefer the T pool on M class ships over S class ships.

Yes, we saw a little wear on Millennium, but that can happen even on a very new ship (I remember the rust on the aft of Solstice very well, and she was only a year old). Go with an open mind and have a great time.

As originally designed, the M-class design was a good one and personally preferable.

Unfortunately with 'Solsticization' they've compromised that design, with more cabins, less public space and the loss of some things that have not been replaced or substituted e.g. a cinema.

We enjoy both classes of ships. On M class, we really love the Rondevous lounge, great venue for dancing, which is missing on the S class. On the M class, the CC cabins are a bit larger regular balcony rooms. Overall, the balconies on the M class are somewhat smaller than on the S class. Cannot comment on Aqua-class staterooms, but the AC dining room is right off the main dining room.

Enjoy.

We enjoy both classes of ships. On M class, we really love the Rondevous lounge, great venue for dancing, which is missing on the S class. On the M class, the CC cabins are a bit larger regular balcony rooms. Overall, the balconies on the M class are somewhat smaller than on the S class. Cannot comment on Aqua-class staterooms, but the AC dining room is right off the main dining room.

Enjoy.

I also spent a lot of time in the Solarium on S class due to Melanoma issues. Hardly spent any time in the solarium on the Summit. Just did not have that same relaxing feel. I have to be honest and say that I think something was wrong with the pool in the Solarium on the Summit as it was actually hotter in the water than the hot tubs and they were working correctly.

Alternate opinion. Having sailed C, M and S classes, I would be very hard pressed to go back to M class. There is nothing I miss except the T-pool, and the solarium on S is a wonderful place to read and relax. We really love the modern, elegant feel of the S class ships and cabins.

I know they've been redone, but I think the blue and orange décor in our stateroom on Summit really poisoned my mind. Can't imagine who ever thought that was a good choice!

On the M class, the CC cabins are a bit larger regular balcony rooms. Overall, the balconies on the M class are somewhat smaller than on the S class.

M-Class: Regular Stateroom:170 sq.ft. Veranda:38 sq.ft.

M-Class: CC Stateroom:191 sq.ft. Veranda:42 sq.ft.

S-Class: Stateroom:194 sq.ft. Veranda:54 sq.ft.

But the sofa on S class takes up any additional cabin space and unless one has a well padded bottom, the sofa is too hard to sit on.

S class also does not have the equivalent sweet 16 balconies or those wonderful aft balconies that M-devotees love.

Alternate opinion. Having sailed C, M and S classes, I would be very hard pressed to go back to M class. There is nothing I miss except the T-pool, and the solarium on S is a wonderful place to read and relax. We really love the modern, elegant feel of the S class ships and cabins.

I know they've been redone, but I think the blue and orange décor in our stateroom on Summit really poisoned my mind. Can't imagine who ever thought that was a good choice!

Isn't it great that X has three classes of ships with such different ambiance and features?

I prefer M class ships despite their being older and not as sparkly. Love the T pool and the Rendezvous Lounge. Enjoy the intimacy of Blu.

Don't like the Atrium set up on S class and that the sound travels up the the supposedly quiet areas like the Card Room and Library.

Do prefer the Aqua Class Bathrooms on S class, though.

I may prefer M class ships but will happily sail on S class and will be on the Century in Feb. After all, it's still Celebrity!!

M-class CC stateroom is 194 sq. ft. Veranda 54 sq. ft. (according to brochure and website) Exactly the same as S-class.

M-class CC stateroom is 194 sq. ft. Veranda 54 sq. ft. (according to brochure and website) Exactly the same as S-class.

I believe the brochure is in error. The dimensions I posted are from the Celebrity website pages for the Silhouette and the Millennium stateroom descriptions. The M-class dimensions are identical to what had been listed on the website even before the S-class ships were built.

I believe the brochure is in error. The dimensions I posted are from the Celebrity website pages for the Silhouette and the Millennium stateroom descriptions. The M-class dimensions are identical to what had been listed on the website even before the S-class ships were built.

Yes, now I see what you're talking about. It appears Aqua class square footage is the same in both M and S class.

Celebrity marketing seems to change the size of the staterooms at will.

We find that the cabins appear more spacious if we diligently pursue a pre-cruise diet. The available square footage seems to shrink with every passing day.

AQ may be a disappointment on the M class. The only thing worth it is Blu other than that it is not worth more than what you feel Blu is worth.

The balconies are smaller and there are no foot stools.

The Persian Gardens is like a dungeon. It is not the same as on the S class.

You will still have the other amenities but the cabins are not as elaborate as in the S class but there is more storage. Be sure to make a note of what is included in the AQ. Many of the attendants are a little lax, don't know or reluctant to provide them and sometime you need to ask for them.

All the beds are by the bath.

The T pool in the Solarium is nicer, and there is more seating for the Aqua Spa cafe.

There is no lawn, no Molecular bar and no fancy hammocks around the pool. The deck chairs aren't as elaborate.

The coffee cafe is set up different as there is a bar with bar stools.

Don"t expect it to give you the WOW factor like we did after being in the same situation of having only sailed in AQ on the S class. It is still a very nice experience. After our first "disappointment" we have sailed on the M class 3 more times and would not hesitate to sail on them again. You have to accept the ship for what it is, a M class with class. We have found that there is more to the ship than the physical aspects. The staff, service, attitude, weather, and people that you travel with make the difference.

Hope this helps.

.:D

There are things I like about each class. The cabin bathrooms are better on the S class (with the exception of those goofy sinks and faucets). The cabin storage and closets are better on the M class. The M class has actual bedside tables with drawers. The S class bedside shelves leave a lot to be desired.

The design of the buffet area is much more intelligent on the S class. I love the lawn area and the hot glass shows on the S class (on the 3 ships that have the hot glass shows). I wasn't impressed with the added AQ1 cabins on the M class--the cabins were very creaky, the balconies were teeny, and the service was terrible. Blu was awesome. Haven't been in AQ on the S class. And the added AQ1 cabins took up what was formerly lovely public space.

My all time favorite cabin would be a corner FOV on the M class. Life would be good if I could always get one of those cabins!

So I think there are things to like about each class. Experience both and then you can decide.

One more feature we like on the M-class ships is that they provide hand-held, removable shower heads in all cabin categories.

It is also nice having the convenient little storage shelves and retractable clothesline in the shower.

The bathrooms of the S-class cabins would be ideal if they would add those 3 features from the M-class bathrooms to them, which would be very low cost additions.

One more feature we like on the M-class ships is that they provide hand-held, removable shower heads in all cabin categories.

It is also nice having the convenient little storage shelves and retractable clothesline in the shower.

The bathrooms of the S-class cabins would be ideal if they would add those 3 features from the M-class bathrooms to them, which would be very low cost additions.

Ditto on the handheld shower! I never did understand why they switched out that design on the S class.

I think the clothesline had to go away because of the shape of the shower. Not sure there are two walls where the ends could be attached.

Enjoy.

No Rendevous lounge on Solstice class ships?? That's a shame that was bar of choice for pre-dinner drinks on Millennium.

We were on Millennium over last Christmas/New year, and we''ll be on Solstice in April next year, so it will be interesting to compare how much the "Solsticising" of Millennium actually made it like Solsitice.

Archived