HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

We have cruised on HAL for 12 years.

On returning to the Ryndam recently my wife had ONE beer confiscated.

If you have sailed with HAL for 12 years then you are aware of the rules, regulations and restrictions.

No beer is allowed to be brought on board.... so what are you upset about? ..

Confiscating one beer seems a little petty. I buy an unusual beer or two to bring home to my brother when I can. I never had HAL confiscate one. It is hardly worth the bookkeeping effort to return it the last night of the cruise.

The point was that for 12 years my wife has always openly brought on a beer and never had one confiscated.

Is there any proof that this unenforced rule to date existed 12 years ago?

As for praising HAL I think 4 star mariner status is proof enough of appreciation to date.

Are beer and spirits confiscated at every port?

The point was that for 12 years my wife has always openly brought on a beer and never had one confiscated.

That's the problem when policies aren't consistently enforced---a sense of entitlement creeps in and takes over.

You should be grateful for the times your wife was allowed to go outside the policies, instead of complaining that the rules finally caught up with her this time.

That's the problem when policies aren't consistently enforced---a sense of entitlement creeps in and takes over.

You should be grateful for the times your wife was allowed to go outside the policies, instead of complaining that the rules finally caught up with her this time.

I was thinking the same thing.

Well said Ruth!!

I hope you'll share with us some comments about the ship, your cruise. I always look forward to hearing people's comments when they return.

As to the beer, sorry Security enforced the rule we all seem to know about and it was your DW from whom they took the can of beer. Each time you got away with it, you got lucky. No lucky this time but really...... I hope there is more you remember about your cruise and things you enjoyed more special than a single can of beer.

Edited by sail7seas

You haven't received much of a warm welcome to Cruise Critic, welcome aboard!!:D

I am sorry your wife had her beer confiscated at the gangway, HAL is becoming more and more restrictive with the beverages you are allowed to bring aboard. I believe, they believe that it will strengthen the bottom line. . . . .

All it has done here on CC is create a backlash of Titanic proportion.....:eek: ;)

My first thought was for HAL and the crew on the ship.

The crew (mostly) knocks themselves out trying to give us the best cruise possible and despite what hopefully were some wonderful experiences on the ship and in the ports the most noteworthy was having the can of beer confiscated. How's a cruise line to win? They enforce a well known rule, confiscate the 'contraband' and that is all we hear about the cruise. I fully acknowledge taking a single can of beer aboard is an offense of miniscule consequence but for the fact it breaks a rule we are all to follow

I hope this is not flaming as I don't think it is. I think it an honest observation about a post and it wouldn't matter who wrote it,,,,, the content is disturbing to me. I am sad for OP it overshadows what might otherwise have been a good cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

I was told that wine is acceptable to carry on.....we are sailing in November...

Thanks!

Yes, until Jan 31 you can bring on as much wine and champagne as you like. As of Feb 1st, one 750 ml bottle pp at embarkation only ... unless they change their mind again.

I was told that wine is acceptable to carry on.....we are sailing in November...

Thanks!

Yes, for the time being, you can carry on all the wine you want. We sail February 3, and I've been wondering about enforcement of the new 1 bottle pp rule. It's going to be time consuming. We've also frequently had a table set up at the entry to the ship where they ask if you are bringing on any beer, etc., from a port, but as we had only ever brought on a bottle of wine, we never had anything confiscated, and half the time, the table wasn't manned, anyway. They are going to need more crew, I think to enforce these new rules!

is this what they call 'flaming'?

Well, the OP was looking for responses. I suppose, if the responses aren't sympathetic or supportive, some will call it flaming. This happens in a lot of threads here. I don't think it's flaming. If you look for opinions, you should expect to get a broad range of them.

Dad used to say "If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question". ;)

On my last cruise, I forgot and brought two large bottles of beer (maybe 16oz) back on board while in port and they were held and returned on the last afternoon of the cruise. My wife and I had plenty of time to ice them down and drink them on the balcony while watching the sun set.