Do you ever NOT get travel insurance for your cruise?

bornfreenowexpensive

We are booked for 2 future cruises that we paid the deposit with out Chase Sapphire preferred card. After reading about the UAL cards insurance coverage starting Nov 1 I would be more than willing to get the card and to have that coverage. However since I already paid the deposit with my Sapphire card I wonder if I would qualify for that coverage if I paid for the rest of the cruises with the UAL card?

The cruise balance you pay with the UAL card is the amount of fare covered. less the deposit.

after many years I have determined the UAL cards and program are by far the best way to go considering everything from availability of seats , earning miles and insuring trips .

We are booked for 2 future cruises that we paid the deposit with out Chase Sapphire preferred card. After reading about the UAL cards insurance coverage starting Nov 1 I would be more than willing to get the card and to have that coverage. However since I already paid the deposit with my Sapphire card I wonder if I would qualify for that coverage if I paid for the rest of the cruises with the UAL card?

Another great question for Laraine to ask as I am in the same boat exactly :)

Since any cruise with a couple is comprised in whole with a seperate fare for each person. Likewise air fare is a per person. Tours booked too would be per person.

So, yes you could treat each persons individual charges and wholy theirs.

If both spouses booked and paid for their cruise fare, air, tours with their respective cards each would be considered independent expenses of that spouse respectively. The seperiate charges on different cards is the key. Each card covers family traveling together.. with mutual benifit....:o that each could benifit from the other.... and have their respective cost refunded.:D

This is what we have done for years. Our TA does it all on separate cards for us. Different cards as we are in Canada but the same theory at work. It's all part of our work around for not purchasing extra trip insurance.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...

Spent an hour talking to Chase and finally got a partial answer

Just want to update you all on what I have learned thus far

1. These are VISA (or MC) benefits, not Chase benefits. VISA decides what benefits we each get. I have the contact numbers for the benefit administrators for both the Sapphire and the Explorer cards and I will be calling.

2. We have to compare apples to apples

Preferred, Signature, MC or Visa

3. My United Explorer Signature Card has greater benefits than the booklet indicated -- 10k per event like Paul's

4. My Sapphire Preferred VISA has 5k

5. Ink Bold Business MC has 5k

I am going to call the administrator to ask how this insurance works

Before I do, do any of you have different amounts of insurance associated with the IDENTICAL CARD form those I have just posted.

Thanks for your efforts Laraine; don't have anything different in the way of amounts covered. Sure you have this on your list to ask the administrator but, one thing that will help many of us is the ability to pay using multiple cards thus increasing the total coverage by "stacking" the coverage to up to $20K per person.

Thanks again for all your effort,

Thanks for your efforts Laraine; don't have anything different in the way of amounts covered. Sure you have this on your list to ask the administrator but, one thing that will help many of us is the ability to pay using multiple cards thus increasing the total coverage by "stacking" the coverage to up to $20K per person.

Thanks again for all your effort,

of course

Thank you for researching & reporting on this. Per the "Chase Guide To Benefits" effective 11/1/13, our Sapphire Preferred VISA appears to widen the amount of canx coverage:

1. Page 12: "Trip Cancellation insurance reimburses...up to $5,000 for each Covered Trip if a Covered Loss prevents you...from traveling on or before the departure date..."

2. Page 13: "If a trip cancellation occurs [you will be reimbursed] for the non-refundable amounts put up to...Maximum limit of Insurance per Occurrence of $5,000 for each claim on a covered trip."

3. But then see Page 17: "If more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip...Trip Cancellation Maximum Limit of Insurance Per Occurrence $10,000."

I read this to mean a couple who pays for a single cruise with Sapphire Preferred receives trip canx coverage of $10,000 max for that one cruise. In other words, each of the two travelers individually are covered up to $5,000 for a total of $10,000 max. Laraine, do you agree with this assessment?

Thank you for researching & reporting on this. Per the "Chase Guide To Benefits" effective 11/1/13, our Sapphire Preferred VISA appears to widen the amount of canx coverage:

1. Page 12: "Trip Cancellation insurance reimburses...up to $5,000 for each Covered Trip if a Covered Loss prevents you...from traveling on or before the departure date..."

2. Page 13: "If a trip cancellation occurs [you will be reimbursed] for the non-refundable amounts put up to...Maximum limit of Insurance per Occurrence of $5,000 for each claim on a covered trip."

3. But then see Page 17: "If more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip...Trip Cancellation Maximum Limit of Insurance Per Occurrence $10,000."

I read this to mean a couple who pays for a single cruise with Sapphire Preferred receives trip canx coverage of $10,000 max for that one cruise. In other words, each of the two travelers individually are covered up to $5,000 for a total of $10,000 max. Laraine, do you agree with this assessment?

On my list of questions

OK

Spoke to the benefits rep for Mileage PLus "on a recorded line"

Assume your card has a 10K benefit. You have to charge 10k of the trip to get the 10K benefit. If you charge 1000 on a different card (e.g. deposit) for a trip costing exactly 10k your benefit would be 9K. You are covered up to the limit of coverage or the amount charged -- whichever is less. Hope that's clear.

The benefit applies to all covered persons on the same trip (immediate family)

So if your card has a 5k benefit -- it is 5k per person (10k total)

These benefits are SECONDARY to other insurance. So if you get additional insurance to make up for any gap in coverage (e.g. your trip is 50K total -- your coverage would be 20k total -- you get other insurance for 30k) you have to make the claim first to the other carrier.

Stacking - using multiple cards -- this is tricky and she had to research -- using two different Chase cards to get additional benefits -- can stack for sure if both carry the same benefit administrator. CHase assigns different cards to different administrators. It is possible that two Sapphire cards have different administrators. The only way to know who is the administrator for your cards is to call and have them look up.

Even if the cards have different administrators you still might be able to stack. Depends on the "policy" of that particular administrator. EG - does that administrator require you to charge the amount of your coverage on the card to get the max coverage (as Mileage Plus does). Seems to be the safest route is to charge an amount = to the benefit on each card if you are stacking.

Example

Trip costs 16k pp - total of 32k

Husband and I are covered if I charge ONLY my trip on the cards as he is traveling with me.

United Explorer protects me for 10K -- I charge 10K of my trip on it (we are both covered for total of 20k)

Sapphire protects me for 5K -- I charge 5k of my trip on it. (both covered for total of 10K)

1000 left (2000 left uninsured)- I can use another card or buy private insurance.

I only have to charge one person's trip to get the coverage.

Hope this is clear

Seems like we have a winning strategy here

The rep was very careful to say THAT ALL OTHER CONDITIONS MUST BE MET. That essentially goes without saying.

Thanks Laraine,

I particularly like the last part - your breakdown.

It seems that they cover you for double of money spent - i.e. spend $10,000 on the card and be covered for $20,000 (as a couple).

That sounds great!

Only problem after putting the charges on a UA card (first world problem) - UA MP program redemptions have been gutted :mad:

You have to spend equal to the limit to get the max.

I think that is what you said:

United Explorer protects me for 10K -- I charge 10K of my trip on it (we are both covered for total of 20k)

and what I said in a different way:

It seems that they cover you for double of money spent - i.e. spend $10,000 on the card and be covered for $20,000 (as a couple).

Is this correct (i.e. you get covered for twice the amount spent)?

Based on the previous posts it appears that if both members of a couple have each of the cards, they can each charge their trips on their card and double the amount of coverage for each other.

That way with say each having a UAL Explorer and Sapphire, they each could cover a trip that costs each of them $30K with a total of $60K of coverage.

2 X $10K each on UAL plus 2 X $5K each on Sapphire by each charging $10K to UAL and $5K to Sapphire and the other $15K each to a card with better points but, not the cancellation coverage.

Wonder how long it will take for Visa to figure this out and change the rules??

Based on the previous posts it appears that if both members of a couple have each of the cards, they can each charge their trips on their card and double the amount of coverage for each other.

That way with say each having a UAL Explorer and Sapphire, they each could cover a trip that costs each of them $30K with a total of $60K of coverage.

2 X $10K each on UAL plus 2 X $5K each on Sapphire by each charging $10K to UAL and $5K to Sapphire and the other $15K each to a card with better points but, not the cancellation coverage.

Wonder how long it will take for Visa to figure this out and change the rules??

I did not ask that question and I am not sure that would fly.

I can make another call tomorrow to ask

That's one helluva strategy

Edited by pacheco18

I did not ask that question and I am not sure that would fly.

I can make another call tomorrow to ask

That's one helluva strategy

A variation on Dave's option would be for 2 separate trips in 12 months period, each costing $20,000. The maximum covered benefit/12 months is $40,000/couple.

Thus use the UA Explorer card to pay only $10,000 of each trip cost (the rest on Sapphire with earning double points). $10,000 charged for each trip gives you $20,000 coverage/couple for each trip=$40,000/couple/12 months.

Laraine, is my math correct?

I called again

More information

Every element of a trip is a "separate" trip

So if you book the cruise with your TA and then book your air separately, that is considered TWO trips. IF you book your cruise with your TA and do your own land package after, that is considered a separate trip.

Since most hotels let you cancel and airlines only charge a small cancellation fee or allow you to get their insurance, not a deal breaker. If you use miles, not a big deal

As for Dave's and Paul's strategy, probably will not work because YOU HAVE TO CHARGE THE SPOUSE'S TRIP ON THE PARTICULAR CARD to get benefits for him or her (not just your own trip). Theoretically, if you charge 1/2 the cruise on one card and 1/2 on the other, you are not charging your spouse's trip on your card so benefits do not double.

Best strategy seems to be to use multiple cards to charge the entire trip (or as much as you can) and get max of all card coverage for both travelers

eg. 10k Explorer, 5k sapphire, 5k ink (one person's cards) -- will PROBABLY get you 20 k total for you and your spouse (assuming stacking works).

Note: Explorer card holders -- make sure you have the new benefit book, I did not. I just called and ordered it

Hope this is clear

We will only know for sure when someone makes a claim LOL

We purchased the relatively inexpensive MedJet plan, which will fly us to hospital of our choice on private jet from anywhere in the world under the circumstances that you described, or whenever hospitalization is required. (The plan would not pay the $5000 hospital expenses that you described, however.)

MedJet is great except it won't insure you if you are over 80, which my husband is. This past year we had a medical emergency with him so now we travel a lot to the carribbean so we won't be too far away from the states and we purchase travel insurance with cancellation coverage that also includes our airfare.

Medical insurance is EASY

There are many many options for all ages out there for annual policies and it is relatively inexpensive. It's the cancellation insurance that costs a lot

I am doing a chart for myself of my cards and the benefits

Then I am going to plug in what I have charged for which cards for 2014 and 2015 trips. Once I figure that out I can decide if I want to buy additional insurance to make up for what the cards do not cover.

And more info

In all the booklets I have for Chase the terms and conditions are identical.

The only difference is the dollar amount of coverage.

I also noticed that they will even cover costs associated with canceling reward tickets IF the miles were earned through a Chase program.

Baggage insurance is pretty good too (I assume we all have homeowner's insurance for this as well)

The key to coverage as I see it is that the trip for both persons must be charged to your card at least to the full amount of the coverage for you to get the full coverage for you and your travel partner.

Potential problem: When you book a cruise for 20k and you charge only 10k of it on your Explorer card, how do you establish that 5000 of the charges were allocated to your payment and 5000 to your travel partner's payment. I see an "out" for Chase on this (litigators think this way LOL). I might consider putting something in writing to my TA. This seems like a problematic area when making a claim. I might make another call

I called again

Got a third smart rep

Impressed by their knowledge

So I posed the question:

Potential problem: When you book a cruise for 20k and you charge only 10k of it on your Explorer card, how do you establish that 5000 of the charges were allocated to your payment and 5000 to your travel partner's payment.

Really not a problem because under this scenario you are charging less than the amount of coverage per person (5k per person rather than 10K) so all you would be eligible for is 10K total. To get the full 10k benefit for each traveler you have to charge 10k of each person's ticket.

Thanks Laraine,

I charged our deposit Amex. But, a few months ago we signed up for the Explorer, because of the miles, a trip on AirCanada, Chase, and no foreign transaction fees. Didn't even focus on the trip cancellation benefits.

The balance will go on the Chase card. We will get separate medical - our out of network health is quite high ($10K). Medical only trip insurance policies are not that costly.

And, United (unlike our home airline - Delta) has decent one-way FF fares - we're retiring in a few years and see some TA's in the horizon. Confirmed our decision to get this card.

Laraine, think I may not have explained my plan very well as I do think it fits what was told you by the reps.

We book a trip at $20K per person and each of my DW and I have our own UAL card. I pay for my trip with my card so I am covered for the $10K and my DW is covered by the $10K spouse benefit. My DW pays for her trip with her UAL Explorer so she is covered for the $10K of her trip and $10K for me thus we are each covered for the full $20K of our trips, half on each card. Could also pay only $10K with the UAL card and DW as well and then put the other $10K on Sapphire thus getting double points but, full coverage on each of our trips.

As you said, won't really know until we have a claim but, thought if we pay the $10 for our trip, we then get the $20K total for husband and wife on each card??

Think this is similar to Paul's thoughts as well. Thanks for all your leg work and information.

Laraine, think I may not have explained my plan very well as I do think it fits what was told you by the reps.

We book a trip at $20K per person and each of my DW and I have our own UAL card. I pay for my trip with my card so I am covered for the $10K and my DW is covered by the $10K spouse benefit. My DW pays for her trip with her UAL Explorer so she is covered for the $10K of her trip and $10K for me thus we are each covered for the full $20K of our trips, half on each card. Could also pay only $10K with the UAL card and DW as well and then put the other $10K on Sapphire thus getting double points but, full coverage on each of our trips.

As you said, won't really know until we have a claim but, thought if we pay the $10 for our trip, we then get the $20K total for husband and wife on each card??

Think this is similar to Paul's thoughts as well. Thanks for all your leg work and information.

No

The spouse benefit only works when YOU pay for the spouse with YOUR card. If each of you pays for your own trip only there is no spouse benefit at all.