Do you ever NOT get travel insurance for your cruise?

bornfreenowexpensive

with travel insurance I just don't worry. You could underinsure your house and "save" the premiums and invest those too! Like the OP said, who is a gambler? Once you've had a good payout you won't go without.

While slightly off the top of travel insurance, most people insure their homes for far more than the replacement cost to re-build. realizing the land value is part of the home value to the extent of 40to 50% people roll that into their policy.... If it cost $250 a sq ft to rebuild and your home value is $350 a sg ft, and insure on that basis, the insurance company is only going to pay the $250....

I am happy with my medical...0 deductible, No limit, world wide....

I am in the same position... and saved in a brokerage account as do the insurance companies. This is something you have to start out doing in the beginning planning for the future... I started in my late 30's and today could take a hit of tens of thousands and still plenty in reserve. Then when I quit traveling... the money is still there and can be used for other things

I was amazed at the insurance industry in UK... they sell, vacation insurance, ski insurance, hiking insurance, swimming insurance, cave exploring insurance, camping insurance, mountain climbing insurance, sport insurance..... The industry has sold their public that the sky stands a real chance of falling....... and you better act fast.:eek: As I said before fear of the unknown sells.

In the UK all the scenarios you mention are covered in one annual premium which costs, for us with pre-existing medical conditions, no more than £100 each per year. It is a condition of several tour operators that we have insurance to cover medical costs when travelling overseas.

I have bought travel insurance only once 27 years ago. While on that trip my mother was in an accident and died. Have not purchased insurance since and never had an issue. Coincidence? Absolutely!

I now have evacuation and other travel insurance for DH and myself. I would appreciate advice on medical and travel interruption insurance. We travel 12 weeks a year in one to three week blocks, so probably would be most economical to buy a comprehensive annual plan as both of us have minor health issues that could necessitate ED visits.

Purely that we hear horror stories here in the UK of the very high costs of US medical care so I need to know I would be insured to cover them if, God forbid, I needed them.

But from some of the posts - insurance appears to be a lot cheaper here anyway - I pay around £90 for annual insurance including my pre-existing conditions, and this gives me worldwide cover and up to £10 million medical & repatriation costs.

Thank You. That makes your comment a lot clearer. Travel insurance outside of the US is expensive no matter where I travel so in long run you pay a lot less for travel than I do. :).

It's purely a timing gamble. For those who self-insure, if you never have problems for many years, you've "won" in that you've saved the premiums you would have paid. Assuming you've also put that money aside in a self-insurance fund (rather than splurging on an additional vacation), you have the money to cover any future loss. If, however, you suffer that catastrophic loss in the first couple of years of your self-insurance plan, then you will not have an "insurance fund" to cover your losses. Those of us who buy the insurance are unwilling to gamble on the first big loss not coming until our self-insurance fund has built up big enough to cover it.
'

that it is a risk...BUT...it the insurance costs you SO MUCH...because one or both of you are older...then...I think that you have to weigh the cost vs the risk....eg....if I ALREADY paid for the vacation...and I or my spouse can't go...I'm already out that cost...it would be nice to get that money back...but at what cost...when I already paid for the vacation?? That is just my "take" on this...and we EACH have to do what is best in EACH situation...don't you think?? LuAnn

The idea of self insurance is beguiling...until you have an early claim that prevents ,you from catching up. I had stroke 2 days before a 24 day cruise only 4 years after we began to cruise in earnest. We were insured. That payoff has covered all of my insurance since. The only time I have noticed insurec was a 5 day cruise between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh :).

Now we're booked on the O World Cruise, and the first thing I did was buy trip insurance. I only insured for the $250 for which we are at risk before cinal payment, but that was to cover pre-existing conditions. When final pmt1 is due I will pony up for the entire amount. It'll cost over $14,000 for the insurance, but we can't afford to leave $100,000 at risk for 6 months. I fit all of Dan's parameters - advanced age, medical conditions, no out of country health insurance, etc.

I look at it as just part of the cost of the trip, like excursions, wine, etc.

sent from Galaxy Note 8

that you are well enough to travel this far now!! I was on the cruise when you had to cancel due to your stoke. We all missed you...and are so happy that you are well enough now ....to travel ROUND THE WORLD....Good on you!! LuAnn

I worked Insurance and Medical Fraud. The bill for $20K is the Norm.

I live in a resort town where many snow birds are from Canada and understand they purchase additional insurance but for a Host/Moderator to make a comment about medical treatment in the US, she should remove her own Post. Sorry Lynn. I have always had trip insurance but that was below the belt. Never having even injured and/or sick abroad, thank goodness, she was out of line. She is the Moderator not the Judge and Jury.

It appears Host Sharon removed her anti US post. You did the right thing. :)

Out of line ?? Anti-US?? I am sorry if you misconstrued my comment, which by the way, I didn't remove. It was just that for non US citizens, US medical care can be costly in the extreme and I don't want to be worrying the whole time that I may get sick or injured. I have in fact had to claim on my insurance three or four times, the worst injury was when I had a bad fall in Copenhagen, but fortunately it was on the quayside and I was able to be helped back to the ship for treatment

Out of line ?? Anti-US?? I am sorry if you misconstrued my comment, which by the way, I didn't remove. It was just that for non US citizens, US medical care can be costly in the extreme and I don't want to be worrying the whole time that I may get sick or injured. I have in fact had to claim on my insurance three or four times, the worst injury was when I had a bad fall in Copenhagen, but fortunately it was on the quayside and I was able to be helped back to the ship for treatment

My point are those who continue to complain about the United States for whatever reason. Use your above comment as the reason for your original post. That would have been acceptable. Medical insurance is high everywhere and the Insurance Companies are the winners, whether it is auto/home or travel. I get insurance without complaining that the Country I am traveling to will drain me dry if injured. Travel to the UK is expensive too but i choose to either go and pay or go somewhere else. I want to enjoy my vacation without worrying and find it worthless to complain. I spend thousands on a cruise and coverage as you do. Your have a right to your comment and I have the same right for my opinion. Enough said. I will remove myself from this subscribed thread. If you have any further comments you can personally email me.

My point are those who continue to complain about the United States for whatever reason. Use your above comment as the reason for your original post. That would have been acceptable. Medical insurance is high everywhere and the Insurance Companies are the winners, whether it is auto/home or travel. ...

The point is, is that the cost of medical procedures and hospital stays are much higher in the US than Canada, and I presume Britain. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are the highest in the world. That means that even if our standard medical care covers the costs if were abroad, it only pays what it would cost at home, not in the US. That is not complaining about the US, just stating a fact.

I live in the US and concur our medical care is costly. We buy insurance for medical coverage when we travel so we are covered and for other reasons. On our recent cruise a dear friend fell before she ever got on the ship. She did get some emergency care in Portugal but they were not at all comfortable with the doctor or hospital and did get on board to get the ship doctor's opinon.

Long story short, she did get off 1 port later. Their insurance company made all the arrangements to get them back to Canada where she could get good care. But they had booked B2B cruises so would have lost the money for both those cruises, plus all the transportation expenses. The insurance company also put them up in a hotel in Toronto between connections back to Vancouver, etc. If I wasn't a believer before, I would have been after that!

I'm a passive member of cc. Love to read all the postings and learn so much but rarely post.

I had to persuade my traveling companion to purchase TI (to include cancellation). I have elderly parents -- hers are deceased. My parents were my main concern. But as I write this my DF is awaiting a biopsy report for her daughter who just had this issue come up last week. If the news is not good she will have to cancel. We are scheduled to leave 30 days from today. The second thing she said to me after telling me the news was "boy, am I glad I bought that insurance".

DF = Dear Friend (I hope)

Sharon, I for one feel envious of the health care you have, it is a real problem here in the US. I never felt you were anti US!

I definitely do NOT envy the health care in UK but I DO envy the very low cost of their travel health insurance :)

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too :D

PS I no longer travel without insurance (health & cancellation) as well as MedJet assist as of the last several years.

Edited by Paulchili

I definitely do NOT envy the health care in UK but I DO envy the very low cost of their travel health insurance :)

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too :D

PS I no longer travel without insurance (health & cancellation) as well as MedJet assist as of the last several years.

I'd go along with that too, although our emergency care is excellent - the problems lie in "routine" problems. I'd just add that my travel insurance covers not just health but cancellation (for genuine reasons), loss of baggage etc

A little off topic but not really

When I add up what I pay for insurance each year for all my trips I am thinking that an annual policy might make more sense. I have done a little research and at first blush it seems that the cost would be considerably less.

Do any of you have an annual policy and can u direct me to a good source for one?

A little off topic but not really

When I add up what I pay for insurance each year for all my trips I am thinking that an annual policy might make more sense. I have done a little research and at first blush it seems that the cost would be considerably less.

Do any of you have an annual policy and can u direct me to a good source for one?

We have had one with HTH worldwide (877.865.5979) for about 10 years now.

We also have had several claims for medical which were paid promptly.

This policy is for medical and evacuation only but you can add cancellation

Up to the day after final payment if you feel you want it,

We have had one with HTH worldwide (877.865.5979) for about 10 years now.

We also have had several claims for medical which were paid promptly.

This policy is for medical and evacuation only but you can add cancellation

Up to the day after final payment if you feel you want it,

Thanks -- exactly the information I was seeking.

If one has health insurance that covers out of country travel, i can see self insuring for trip cancelation costs. Big factor is need for medical evacuation coverage. That can cost up to 100k from the most remote parts of the world and most cruise line policies are woefully inadequate in that area.Important to at least have MedJet Assist or somethng similar if you choose not to purchase adaquate coverage for individual cruises.

• Administrators
I worked Insurance and Medical Fraud. The bill for $20K is the Norm.

I live in a resort town where many snow birds are from Canada and understand they purchase additional insurance but for a Host/Moderator to make a comment about medical treatment in the US, she should remove her own Post. Sorry Lynn. I have always had trip insurance but that was below the belt. Never having even injured and/or sick abroad, thank goodness, she was out of line. She is the Moderator not the Judge and Jury.

I disagree with the call for removal and here's why.

We very clearly and precisely state that our hosts opinions are their own. I see nothing wrong with any Host implying that medical care in the US could be expensive for them.

Let's get real -- it IS expensive and that is simply fact.

Laura

I disagree with the call for removal and here's why.

We very clearly and precisely state that our hosts opinions are their own. I see nothing wrong with any Host implying that medical care in the US could be expensive for them.

Let's get real -- it IS expensive and that is simply fact.

Laura

We are all entitled to our opinions. Had she stated her reason in the beginning for her comment it would have been clear, but it wasn't. I guess I should get Real, my medical is paid for.

Some might know this already, but if you charge your trip on some credit cards like Uniteds Explorer card from Chase, you have $20,000 to $40,000 trip cancelation or interruption.. It covers all family members.:o

Also car rental insurance included... I had a guy hit my rental car doing serious damage to the rental.. the credit card folks took care if it 100%