Do you ever NOT get travel insurance for your cruise?

bornfreenowexpensive

Some might know this already, but if you charge your trip on some credit cards like Uniteds Explorer card from Chase, you have $20,000 to $40,000 trip cancelation or interruption.. It covers all family members.:o

Also car rental insurance included... I had a guy hit my rental car doing serious damage to the rental.. the credit card folks took care if it 100%

Your UA Explorer card must be different from mine :)

These are the travel protection benefits I see listed:

The United MileagePlus Explorer Card

Travel Protection*

The MileagePlus Explorer Card provides you with comprehensive travel protection benefits that give you peace of mind while traveling near and far.

Baggage Delay Reimbursement

If you experience a baggage delay, you can be reimbursed up to $100 per day, with a maximum of up to $300, when your bags are delayed more than 18 hours.

Lost Luggage Reimbursement

In the unfortunate event that your luggage is lost, you can be reimbursed up to $3,000 per trip for your checked and carry-on luggage and their contents.

Trip Delay Reimbursement

If your trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay due to a covered hazard, you can be reimbursed for meals and lodging expenses up to $300 per ticket purchased using your MileagePlus Explorer Card.

Trip Cancellation Reimbursement

If an unanticipated covered event keeps you from traveling, you can be reimbursed up to $1,500 for non-refundable airfare costs.

Travel Accident Insurance

When you use your MileagePlus Explorer Card to purchase travel tickets on a common carrier (train, plane, bus or ship), you are provided travel accident insurance (AD&D) up to $500,000.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Your MileagePlus Explorer Card provides you with primary coverage for physical damage and theft of most rented vehicles. Coverage is provided for rentals of up to 15 consecutive days when traveling in your country of residence and 31 days outside of your country of residence.

Nowhere do I see $20,000 - $40,000 trip cancellation insurance.

Can you give me a link to that

UA/Chase, has changed their coverage according to a letter that I received yesterday. Their new coverage is describes in a new section" trip cancellation and interuption . It was very specific. I read it 3x.

Applies to any plane, ship, tour purchased with the UA card. 20,000 each incident, 40,000 max per year. All family members are included.

As i said this is what I just received ...I am happy because i just charged a 20K cruise with my card...

UA/Chase, has changed their coverage according to a letter that I received yesterday. Their new coverage is describes in a new section" trip cancellation and interuption . It was very specific. I read it 3x.

Applies to any plane, ship, tour purchased with the UA card. 20,000 each incident, 40,000 max per year. All family members are included.

As i said this is what I just received ...I am happy because i just charged a 20K cruise with my card...

Do you think it is a targeted offer?

I haven't seen anything like it but would like to.

Dan,

I called here, there and yonder at Chase, Visa, Benefits Administration and nobody can confirm to me this very generous coverage. They do say that there will be some changes as of Nov 1st but nobody can tell me what they are.

I'd say they would be MAJOR changes if they go from the current $1500 coverage limit to $20,000/$40,000 coverage.

Is there any way you can e mail me a scanned copy of that section covering the "trip cancellation & interruption" (without any personal info, of course) so that I could call Chase/Visa with more specific information? Needless to say, that would be a huge improvement and a good reason to use that card for all future bookings of larger trips.

TIA

Paulpepper at Comcast dot net

I received a new booklet in the mail yesterday called Guide to Travel and Purchase Protection Benefits, from Chase, for the United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card, and the World Elite MasterCard.

For this card, the Trip Cancellation amount is up to $10,000 for each covered trip for you or your immediate family; same for Trip Interuption. It goes on to spell out that if "more than one person insured under the same account suffers a covered loss for the same covered trip" the maximum amounts are $20,000 per occurrence, and $40,000 per 12 month period.

It also explains coverage for Lost Luggage, Trip Delay Reimbursement, Baggage Delay, Travel Accident Insurance, Emergency Evacuation and Transportation, Travel and Emergency Assistant Services, and so on. The booklet is 52 pages long, so too much to scan.

I received a new booklet in the mail yesterday called Guide to Travel and Purchase Protection Benefits, from Chase, for the United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card, and the World Elite MasterCard.

For this card, the Trip Cancellation amount is up to $10,000 for each covered trip for you or your immediate family; same for Trip Interuption. It goes on to spell out that if "more than one person insured under the same account suffers a covered loss for the same covered trip" the maximum amounts are $20,000 per occurrence, and $40,000 per 12 month period.

It also explains coverage for Lost Luggage, Trip Delay Reimbursement, Baggage Delay, Travel Accident Insurance, Emergency Evacuation and Transportation, Travel and Emergency Assistant Services, and so on. The booklet is 52 pages long, so too much to scan.

Thank you for that information.

Perhaps mine is then on its way as well and I'll just wait for it.

Dan,

I called here, there and yonder at Chase, Visa, Benefits Administration and nobody can confirm to me this very generous coverage. They do say that there will be some changes as of Nov 1st but nobody can tell me what they are.

I'd say they would be MAJOR changes if they go from the current $1500 coverage limit to $20,000/$40,000 coverage.

Is there any way you can e mail me a scanned copy of that section covering the "trip cancellation & interruption" (without any personal info, of course) so that I could call Chase/Visa with more specific information? Needless to say, that would be a huge improvement and a good reason to use that card for all future bookings of larger trips.

TIA

Dan, if possible, would be great if you could paste that document on your response in this thread as it would be extremely helpful to many of us who have that specific card as well as health insurance for out of the country as it would almost completely eliminate the need for Trip Insurance.

Thanks in advance,

Thank you for that information.

Perhaps mine is then on its way as well and I'll just wait for it.

Well - what do you know?

Good things come to those that wait :D

Got mine in the mail today and it is as described by Dan and terry & mike.

This may be a game changer - I may never need to buy cancellation insurance again.

I will try to scan and post it if I can figure out how to do it :)

Dan, if possible, would be great if you could paste that document on your response in this thread as it would be extremely helpful to many of us who have that specific card as well as health insurance for out of the country as it would almost completely eliminate the need for Trip Insurance.

Thanks in advance,

Dave,

I tried uploading it as a PDF file but it failed (it's too big).

I will e mail it to you

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

I just compared the 2 different benefit booklets from Chase that we received, the United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card and the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, benefit by benefit.

The only difference that I can find between the 2 cards when it comes to insured travel coverage benefits is that the Presidential offers Emergency Evacuation and Transportation (pg. 45-49), and the Explorer does not have this feature.

I just compared the 2 different benefit booklets from Chase that we received, the United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card and the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, benefit by benefit.

The only difference that I can find between the 2 cards when it comes to insured travel coverage benefits is that the Presidential offers Emergency Evacuation and Transportation (pg. 45-49), and the Explorer does not have this feature.

Is there an annual fee for either card? I usually don't fly United as the hub they connect through from our local airport is Denver, which is usually in the opposite direction of where I need to go. I might start though.

Hopefully in the spirit of competition some of the other major cards will add these features.

You can usually get the first year free on either card, and then the fee for the Presidential Plus is $395/year, and the Explorer $95/year. The cards feature different perks, so if you go forward you'll want to compare which is a better value for you.

Dan,

TIA

I have 3 ual cards a 1990 that gives me annual 2 for one cupons from Hawaii, a 2005 card Signature that gives me annual 5000 renewal miles and a 2013 UAL Explorer

The offer is made for the Explorer and Signature card

I will try to scan but cand send using govt office computer... maybe tonight

I have 3 ual cards a 1990 that gives me annual 2 for one cupons from Hawaii, a 2005 card Signature that gives me annual 5000 renewal miles and a 2013 UAL Explorer

The offer is made for the Explorer and Signature card

I will try to scan but cand send using govt office computer... maybe tonight

Dan - thanks but if you read my posts above (84 & 85), the problem is solved. I got my brochure in the mail yesterday :)

Dan - thanks but if you read my posts above (84 & 85), the problem is solved. I got my brochure in the mail yesterday :)

Looks like a run on explorer card will be in the future

As for the $395 president card.... Med Jet only charges $395 a year for a family world wide plan....... so a push unless you have no UAL card

But your right having this card totaly kills ever having to get travel insurance except of med-jet:D

Just a note for those of you who just got 50,000 ual miles... you can order a new card every 6 months and get another 50,000 then if you spend over $20 k on the card in a year rack up another 10,000 miles

as the mco and chile pauls know its a very productive game if you can pay off your debt within 50 days of charge ( by timing the charge vs the statement date

Dan, The $395 Presidential Plus card has other perks in, addition to the Evacuation clause, that the Explorer card does not. That's why I wrote that each person needs to determine what the value is to them, to decide what card they should get. I receive a great deal more than $395 a year in perk value from that particular card, but I also can see where someone with different habits would receive no benefit at all.

I just received my United Explorer card in the mail and read through all the benefits.

Trip cancellation is covered up to 1500.

I'd like to see where anyone else getting 20-40k in coverage.

It's in a new brochure that was just released with an effective date of 11/1/2013. Googling only shows the exact same number you have but, scheduled to change 11/1. I have several different Chase Cards and recently got a new benefit brochure for each of them a little different values in each one but, that's why your new card did not come with this brochure. Expect you should get the new brochure or you can call them and ask for it.

Hope this explains your different values.

This is a thread from the Celebrity board where a father had a cardiac event while on a tour at Juneau this summer. He was medivac'd to Anchorage where he died 3 days later. The cost of the 1 1/2 hour medivac was $56,000 not including nurses and milage. Medijet Assist would not come into play here at all as he would not have been stable enough for the flight:( and from what I could see, they do not just transport remains. I actually thought $50k would be sufficient:( but I guess not

This is from Post 13

"The Medivac from Juneau to Anchorage was $56,000 -- that doesn't include the nurses or the mileage, which I don't remember right now. At least another few thousand, I think. We're hoping my parents' medical insurance will cover a lot of that, and the Celebrity policy will cover what's left at least"

This is the link to the whole thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1884090&highlight=medical

It's in a new brochure that was just released with an effective date of 11/1/2013. Googling only shows the exact same number you have but, scheduled to change 11/1. I have several different Chase Cards and recently got a new benefit brochure for each of them a little different values in each one but, that's why your new card did not come with this brochure. Expect you should get the new brochure or you can call them and ask for it.

Hope this explains your different values.

Let's all read the fine print guys . . not a panacea l IMO

I have the booklet (pp 14-20). It came as an update to my Chase Sapphire and Ink cards (yes, I am a points hound) a week or two ago. I decided to read it. LOL

For trip cancellation/interruption the max is 10k in a 12 month period and the trip cannot exceed 60 days (but it is 5k per person) -- most of my longer cruises/trips cost more than this so coverage is inadequate. But it is something. Perhaps I can insure less with an outside carrier and combine the two policies to get full coverage. The good news is that you only have to pay a portion of the trip with the card. I like to use the Sapphire to charge travel because it provides 2x points. A cruise costing 15k eg gives me 30k Ultimate Rewards Points.

There is also very good coverage for lost luggage and ok coverage for trip delay and luggage delay.

I am going to call and see if I can combine with standard trip cancellation insurance

I have investigated stand alone medical for travel and it is dirt cheap -- around 349 pp FOR THE YEAR for great coverage. I am looking at buying an annual travel medical policy, using the Chase card for 5k pp for cancellation and then buying only enough cancellation insurance to make up the difference.

My explorer card does not come with this benefit. The other cards are business cards -- the Explorer is a personal card -- perhaps that is the reason for the difference.

Edited by pacheco18

Our cards are both personal, not business, and I have the effective 11-1-13 booklets for both the Presidential Plus and Explorer cards, and both booklets state that Trip Cancellation, which begins on page 12 in both books, is up to $10,000 per person, not to exceed $20,000 per occurrence, and not to exceed $40,000 in a 12 month period.

Must be slightly different cards out there, with different benefits perhaps?

Our cards are both personal, not business, and I have the effective 11-1-13 booklets for both the Presidential Plus and Explorer cards, and both booklets state that Trip Cancellation, which begins on page 12 in both books, is up to $10,000 per person, not to exceed $20,000 per occurrence, and not to exceed $40,000 in a 12 month period.

Must be slightly different cards out there, with different benefits perhaps?

Is the Presidential Plus a premium card -- like Amex Plat? -- that could explain the difference there.

My Explorer card does not have a booklet like the other two -- it's more of a traditional pamphlet. Is there some way you can scan just the pages from the Explorer booklet - or the paragraph under the heading "What is trip cancellation insurance?"

Can you just quote the first paragraph here?

I just called to inquire about the benefits. They are unable to answer any questions about the new benefits until NOvember 1 (guess they have not trained the reps yet). I will call back on 11/1 and try to sort this mess out. I am also going to inquire about whether the benefit "doubles" if you use two different cards that carry the benefit and how this benefit might interact with private trip cancellation insurance. I will also try to solve the discrepancy in benefits among the Explorer cards.

Edited by pacheco18