Do you ever NOT get travel insurance for your cruise?

bornfreenowexpensive

I usually just book trip cancellation/interuption insurance with a travel insurance co

I treat the whole trip as 1

pre cruise hotel, flights, B2B cruises, post cruise hotel

Not sure how it works just using CC insurance

When I inquired with the CC company about claiming part of our trip that was not covered by the insurance company policy I was told we actually had to leave the country to be covered by that CC

It was not much out of pocket so did not pursue it further as we never left Toronto

Here is the explanation

When you book travel insurance on line (eg insuremytrip, squaremouth) you are buying an insurance package. You enter the cost and dates of the trip and EVERYTHING IS COVERED, assuming you included all your non refundable costs.

The credit card companies work differently (the benefits administrator at Chase explained this to me). If you book a part of your trip separately (separate vendor, separate payment) it is considered a "separate trip"

Eg -- you decided to stay in Istanbul for 5 nights pre-cruise and you book your own hotel. That is two separate trips - the hotel stay is one trip; the cruise is another trip.

If the cruise line booked your hotel as part of a pre-cruise land package it would be one trip.

Eg - we have booked a pre-cruise safari when we take our Cape Town to Singapore cruise. The safari is considered a separate trip for purposed of coverage for cancellation THROUGH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES. The safari company, however, booked our pre cruise hotel as part of a package so the pre cruise safari AND the pre cruise hotel are one trip.

This is why i raised the issue of whether a B2B would be considered one trip or two. If it's two, I get double coverage with the same credit card.

Will try to explain the per trip coverage:

Most of the cards cover up to $5000 per person per each covered trip up to $10,000 per person per year. So say you want to cover a $5K cruise plus a $2K pre cruise hotel, you are then covered for the total $7K. Of course there is a $10K per person per year limitation you you would then have another $3K coverage for another trip.

This is why the per trip is so important and you are getting insurance for each trip as a trip is defined which states that each pre paid portion of the total trip is a separate trip by their definition.

Also, they define a trip as traveling more than 1 mile from your home to answer LHT28's questions about a trip being to a country, etc. It is important to read the definitions in the policy to understand all of the implifications.

What most people are used to is buying a policy with a specific dollar limit of coverage for the entire trip. Chase is allowing us to use the amount charged to the credit card to specify the amount of coverage up to the specific limit of the specific card. By paying for different trips as different charges on our cards, we are able to cover more than the $5K limit per trip up to the $10K limit per person per year.

Am sure Loraine will comment if I have miss spoke but, that is my understanding after reading thru the policy terms and conditions while writing this response.

Just saw Loraine's explanation and believe we are on the same page and I added about the fact that by booking and paying separately for the "trips", the coverage amount is doubled. This helps with pre and post cruise trips but, the limits for the cruise are still there. That's why the stacking of cruise costs if over $5K per person becomes another way to get full coverage for cruises costing more than $5K per person per cruise.

Edited by rallydave

Thank you both for your clarification.

I guess I was thinking that I have several cards each with $5000/pp coverage I would use each card to its $10,000 maximum insurance coverage and as long as my total expense was equal to the total charge I would be covered.

I understand your point. If you wanted to put $20,000 on your Chase Sapphire card (to maximize your points) you would still have coverage (more than the $5000/pp) if your vacation was composed of multiple individually paid segments, like non-refundable hotel and tour deposits independent of a cruise.

Will try to explain the per trip coverage:

Most of the cards cover up to $5000 per person per each covered trip up to $10,000 per person per year. So say you want to cover a $5K cruise plus a $2K pre cruise hotel, you are then covered for the total $7K. Of course there is a $10K per person per year limitation you you would then have another $3K coverage for another trip.

This is why the per trip is so important and you are getting insurance for each trip as a trip is defined which states that each pre paid portion of the total trip is a separate trip by their definition.

Also, they define a trip as traveling more than 1 mile from your home to answer LHT28's questions about a trip being to a country, etc. It is important to read the definitions in the policy to understand all of the implifications.

What most people are used to is buying a policy with a specific dollar limit of coverage for the entire trip. Chase is allowing us to use the amount charged to the credit card to specify the amount of coverage up to the specific limit of the specific card. By paying for different trips as different charges on our cards, we are able to cover more than the $5K limit per trip up to the $10K limit per person per year.

Am sure Loraine will comment if I have miss spoke but, that is my understanding after reading thru the policy terms and conditions while writing this response.

Just saw Loraine's explanation and believe we are on the same page and I added about the fact that by booking and paying separately for the "trips", the coverage amount is doubled. This helps with pre and post cruise trips but, the limits for the cruise are still there. That's why the stacking of cruise costs if over $5K per person becomes another way to get full coverage for cruises costing more than $5K per person per cruise.

I remain of the opinion that I don't want to be the first to try to make a claim. I am convinced there are some gray areas. As a litigator, I am finding plenty of them myself.

The limits for the year are still there, as are the limits for the "number" of trips, if there are any.

Several years ago DH and I started charging our cruises separately, each to our own cc, so that we each had full entitlement. Have never made a claim, so can't comment on whether it worked or not.

I would suspect that if the b2b were booked at the same time, on the same invoice, it may well be considered as one. If you get TA to run charges separately, then may be two. Sometimes the 2nd cruise is added later. We have been offered good deals to do this but have never done it as we are not retired, and have to plan ahead. Good and bad to that. ;-).

Very enlightening thread, even though we do not have the same ccs, being Canadian.

We have friends who are older and have some health issues. They buy a yearly policy, and their pre-existing is covered if there has been no treatment ( as in dr apps and/ or prescription changes. This includes dosage changes on the same drug) for SIX MONTHS. As others have said you have to read the fine print. I know she spent a few weeks researching which one to buy. A lot of work.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi All,

Great to have this thread.

I would like to hear more from those that had a successful claim. Did the insurance included with some credit cards work well?

We insure our trips. We have paid thousands, and look at it as part of the cost of the trip.

Thanks

a trip comprised of 2 segments, for which you are booked for both is considered as one by Oceana and invoiced as such . The liquor package runs the same ..for the whole trip.

In my eyes, the best coverage is to book all your "extras" like hotel and earily arrival as separate trips.

I think this would apply to "air deviations as well. Because the air deviation is through Oceaina and part of the gross Oceaina trip I would not book air deviation.

Rather I would use my own funds or miles to do any large air fare because with miles you have at the most only a $200 risk.

a trip comprised of 2 segments, for which you are booked for both is considered as one by Oceana and invoiced as such . The liquor package runs the same ..for the whole trip.

My b2b is NOT on Oceania - it's on Azamara

Each cruise is invoiced separately

Two different booking numbers

I am confident it will be two trips

I will pay separately as well and not at the same time

The credit card companies look at whether the vendor is the same, whether the invoice is single or separate == separate aspects of trips that are "packaged" with the cruise under a single invoice (eg liquor package, pre cruise hotel) will likely constitute a single trip.

My B2B have always been invoiced separately

I think the misinformation above is because they are on a Grand Voyage which is treated as 1 cruise

Lyn

You're right. Each cruise of our b/b's are on separate invoices as well.

Edited by orchestrapal

• 1 year later...

We have friends who are older and have some health issues. They buy a yearly policy, and their pre-existing is covered if there has been no treatment ( as in dr apps and/ or prescription changes. This includes dosage changes on the same drug) for SIX MONTHS. As others have said you have to read the fine print. I know she spent a few weeks researching which one to buy. A lot of work.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Mo can you tell us which company you are buying your yearly policy from? I take meds for BP, but no changes in medication in 5 years...hoping to be able to quality for a policy where they do not penalize me for High BP.

I'm assuming you are talking about a yearly travel ins. plan...

Thanks

Dee

Edited by travellady09

After reading some comments about "separate trips" I have a question..

Some people believe the pre-cruise hotel stay (even if it's one night) is a separate trip?

What about the flight?

Doesn't the insurance start when checkin to airlines (for delays and such).

Then wheels down, and the pre-cruise hotel stay (which according to many is a separate trip, not covered)????

Then, the next day, the cruise starts, and the insurance kicks back in????

So, if you break your ankle the day of the pre-hotel cruise stay, your'e out of luck? Whats the timing for that lost day...

When I buy my insurance, I book the dates, and the cost of the trip... The 1st thru the 12th for example, $5000 per person. No breakdown of the places and activities.

My sister was in Athens last year with Airport looming. She called insurance co, and they told her to get on a flight out earlier to avoid being stuck.

She did, and the insurance co paid the change fees, and the 1 night post cruise hotel cancellation.

?????

After reading some comments about "separate trips" I have a question..

Some people believe the pre-cruise hotel stay (even if it's one night) is a separate trip?

What about the flight?

Doesn't the insurance start when checkin to airlines (for delays and such).

Then wheels down, and the pre-cruise hotel stay (which according to many is a separate trip, not covered)????

Then, the next day, the cruise starts, and the insurance kicks back in????

So, if you break your ankle the day of the pre-hotel cruise stay, your'e out of luck? Whats the timing for that lost day...

When I buy my insurance, I book the dates, and the cost of the trip... The 1st thru the 12th for example, $5000 per person. No breakdown of the places and activities.

My sister was in Athens last year with Airport looming. She called insurance co, and they told her to get on a flight out earlier to avoid being stuck.

She did, and the insurance co paid the change fees, and the 1 night post cruise hotel cancellation.

?????

This is where it is very important to understand the terms of *your* specific policy.

Some of the specific previous comments seem to refer mostly to ways to avoid limitations of using the trip insurance that comes with "just paying with a particular charge card".

Those issues probably don't apply when one purchases travel insurance separately.

One thing to keep in mind about some of the "annual policies" with a cap on coverage is that IF one has a claim, then IF there are other trips already planned (deposits paid), it might then be TOO LATE to purchase insurance for those that wouldn't exclude pre-existing conditions.

Some of those policies also have a maximum that wouldn't cover a long and/or high-end trip.

The main thing is to be SURE what is or is not covered by whatever insurance policy you have for each specific trip.

We work with Steve and crew at

TripInsuranceStore.com

and they help us choose which specific types of coverage we might need for each trip. It's usually the same, but not always.

For our policies, coverage starts the moment we leave home, and continues until we arrive back home. So car accident en route to airport? If it causes a missed flight, etc., then it's covered. (In this case, any medical costs would still be covered by our regular health insurance.)

If something MEDICAL occurred prior to "leaving home" so that we couldn't go, then the cancellation insurance would pay for any "non-refundable" costs paid, which is what matters.

Yes, there is a debate about "need" for insurance for the "travel costs" vs. any "out of country medical costs, medevac, etc. Obviously we've paid for the trip, so we could "afford" to lose that money. But our preference, especially given a variety of medical conditions as we age, is that we don't want to have to pay *again* to actually take the trip if we had to cancel. We are at a stage in life where we are going relatively high-end, and we'd rather not have to deal with the regret of the "lost money" in addition to the medical problem that caused the cancellation. In our case, our very first major cruise was cancelled with less than 2 weeks to go, for a sudden, serious illness. It was nice *not* to need to feel the twinge of knowing a large amount of money had just gone "poof", while dealing with the serious medical issues. But it's the medical costs "away", and transport back to a hospital of *our* choice, that is always the main concern.

We also needed ambulance and local hospital ER care out of country recently. I noticed a sign that said the hospital would NOT accept insurance "coverage" UNLESS it was an internationally known travel insurance company that was able to confirm this person/episode was indeed covered. Our bill was small enough that we just paid it, and submitted it later. We just wanted to get on with the day and trip, and not wait for whatever series of calls/faxes/emails might end up being needed. But IF it had been a huge bill... that coverage would have been good, rather than needing to pay it all up front.

GeezerCouple

We have had a multi-trip medical policy with Geo-blue for over 5 years. Cost for two seniors is about $180/yr and covers all trips outside the country up to 60 days each.

You can look at the policy at http://www.insuremytrip.com and buy it there if you like it. You can start the policy on the date of leaving home for your next trip.

We've made 3 major claims ($1000 - $2000 each) and each was paid in full minus a $50 deductible even when the bill was from Oceania and ridiculously expensive.

We have had a multi-trip medical policy with Geo-blue for over 5 years. Cost for two seniors is about $180/yr and covers all trips outside the country up to 60 days each.

You can look at the policy at www.insuremytrip.com and buy it there if you like it. You can start the policy on the date of leaving home for your next trip.

We've made 3 major claims ($1000 - $2000 each) and each was paid in full minus a $50 deductible even when the bill was from Oceania and ridiculously expensive.

Geo-blue sounds great. Unfortunately it is not available in every state. We live in Maryland and thanks to our insurance regulators, Geo-blue and similar policies cannot be sold to Maryland residents. :mad: I was told that a few other states have similar prohibitions.

and they only offer MEDICAL on a yearly basis, not a comprehensive policy.

However, I did find out prior..I think on this same thread, that if you get a Chase Sapphire card, and you charge your entire cruise, etc. on that card, that they DO cover everything up to $10,000 per person. I called and questioned them.

This is a very good benefit. There is no charge.

and they only offer MEDICAL on a yearly basis, not a comprehensive policy.

However, I did find out prior..I think on this same thread, that if you get a Chase Sapphire card, and you charge your entire cruise, etc. on that card, that they DO cover everything up to $10,000 per person. I called and questioned them.

This is a very good benefit. There is no charge.

Sapphire is a great card which we have two of and therefore have $20,000 coverage since we charge the cruise for each of us on a separate card.

They also have a very good points program which is very easy to use.

1. You can probably buy the Geo-Blue policy using a relatives address in a state where the policy is sold.

2. You now get $10,000 of free trip interruption/cancellation insurance from Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink and Chase United Explorer cards.

I am aware of the Sapphire Preferred card \'s new benefit and used it last week on car rental. I also have Chase United card. Anybody had experience with collecting a claim. It is very new -- just since July. Already had trip insurance on both the Feb 2015 and Nov. 2014 cruises and as usual had the amount of the cruise, the flight, the rental car, and hotels if any plus deposits paid for guides and hotels. I estimate the cost of the whole trip and insure for that. I insure the day before flights to the day after to give a leeway if needed. Thankfully only had one claim in 20 years -- for a very expensive balloon ride over the African Safari land which I could not do because of 24 hour flu at the very wrong time.

I do not insure car trips in US or very inexpensive vacations (under $2000) with not a big chunk tied up before the trip. Then I just make a decision that for that trip "I self-insure". Medical insurance for out of the country travel (especially if on Medicare!) and medical evacuation insurance are other considerations and components of travel insurance. Have enough credit on your credit cards to pay for upfront costs of medical care.