Best sea sickness prevention

Seas_Please

Hi All,

I haven't been on a cruise for several years. The last cruise I was on both my wife and I wore patches behind our ear. They seemed to do the job but made us thirsty and a tiny bit out of sorts if I remember. We're going to be spending a few days sight seeing in Italy before and after the cruise before flying back to Florida, so I want to minimize any side effects. Is there anything new on the market to prevent sea-sickness or are patches still the best preventative for a seven day cruise? I do know we're both susceptible to motion sickness.

Thank you for your advice!

Seas_Please

Crew members often recommend green apples.

I've had luck with the wrist bands, but you have to get them in exactly the proper place, or they're useless.

I did see something fairly recently that scientific research indicated there was some truth behind the ginger use too.

Crew members often recommend green apples.

I've had luck with the wrist bands, but you have to get them in exactly the proper place, or they're useless.

I did see something fairly recently that scientific research indicated there was some truth behind the ginger use too.

The ship had bowls of Ginger in the public area. However most of the passengers were no where to be seen :)

...I tried them...and I had terrible night-mares...and so I gave them up...TBH...I have found...over the years...that the more you sail...the better you are at NOT getting sea-sick....I think you build up a "tolerance"...BUT in the mean time....the other remedies on this thread will help so much...because there is NOTHING worse than feeling sea sick...at sea!! So my advice....is to keep sailing!! And take the meds that work for you!! LuAnn

We use Stugeron. That being said, you can't purchase it in America. I THINK that the ship also dispenses it. He gets dry mouth from the Bonine, but I see everyone else votes for it. The patches have very serious chemicals in them. You might want to check Stugeron on line.

Based on a recommendation on this Board, I started taking Bonine three days before my Navigator cruise last spring. My wife doesn't get seasick and took nothing. I ate like a horse all through the subsequent storm from Charleston to Bermuda, while my wife was sick as a dog and on nothing but water and sliced green apples...

...I tried them...and I had terrible night-mares...and so I gave them up...TBH...I have found...over the years...that the more you sail...the better you are at NOT getting sea-sick....I think you build up a "tolerance"...BUT in the mean time....the other remedies on this thread will help so much...because there is NOTHING worse than feeling sea sick...at sea!! So my advice....is to keep sailing!! And take the meds that work for you!! LuAnn

I agree EXCEPT!

Every time I go through a bad siege of rough seas I end up "relapsing" ... and so while my system had built up the tolerance you mention, it then loses it and I slowly work my way back ...

DH should have been a sailor. The rougher it is, the happier he is.

Meanwhile I have my ginger ... Maybe I'll pick up some Bonine for our next cruise. I used it many years ago but didn't find it all that helpful. Now that I'm older, maybe it will work better.

Mura

Maybe I'll pick up some Bonine for our next cruise. I used it many years ago but didn't find it all that helpful. Now that I'm older, maybe it will work better.Mura

Here's a vote AGAINST bonine. My wife absolutely cannot take it, it puts her into a DEEP sleep. She's tried taking as little as 1/4 of a tablet, and she still sleep for hours. She missed a great snorkeling tour in Hawaii by taking it before we left after breakfast. She was asleep the rest of the day and was only back to "normal" the next morning. I've heard others say it also puts them to sleep. Patch works great for my wife, though.

Advice: if you're going to try bonine, take it some day when you're at home and have nothing important to do and see if you can tolerate it.

That's advice well taken!

When I took Bonine so many years ago, I don't recall a problem with sleepiness.

But I also didn't remember that it really worked terribly well ...

Maybe I revert to ginger!

I checked out Stugeron but that has indicated side effects as well, plus if you have to take several pills a day. Assuming I could get it here ...

Mura

We always have the stateroom attendant keep the fridge stocked with ginger ale, which is a help for my guy.

Me, I love the rough seas and head up to Horizons to enjoy the view -- they don't call it Horizons for nothing. Drake Passage was quite an adventure in a storm several years ago, and the 48 hours it took to round the Cape of Good Hope last January topped all!

This doesn't mean I won't have ill effects in the future. I am sympathetic toward those with the condition.

-Sukey-

Oddly enough, Dramamine makes me sleepy but Bonine does not.

Obviously, all seasickness pills should be taken with caution, and preferably after consultation with your physician. If Bonine is ok for you and doesn't make you sleepy, ask about starting it before the cruise or at least before the open ocean portion of the cruise.

The medical centre will use injections of promethazine. This, I discovered, can be bought over the counter, in the UK anyway. I reserve it more for if I am feeling iffy, rather than as a regular preventative as it can make you feel sleepy, but a good emergency measure. Make sure it will go with any regular meds you may be taking though.

I have found the best regular preventative has been Boots Travel Calm or Kwells (Hyoscine hydrobromide), which hasn't made me sleepy. Not sure if a similar drug is available in the US or Canada.

The patch can also cause problems. On one cruise we met a Doctor that was wearing the patch. He started having issues and thought he was having a stroke and had to remove the patch. Also our local pharmacist advised our friends not to use the patch because of the side effects.

Just came from a pharmacy in London who told us that the patches are no longer being sold in England because of side effects. They recommend a drug called Stugeron 15 which contains cinnarizine. Bought some here as we don't know if it's one of the many drugs that are not sold in the US.

Just came from a pharmacy in London who told us that the patches are no longer being sold in England because of side effects. They recommend a drug called Stugeron 15 which contains cinnarizine. Bought some here as we don't know if it's one of the many drugs that are not sold in the US.

Both husband and I have used Stugeron 15 without any bad side effects, just made me a little sleepy. :)

Archived