Cabin Organization?

CTnewcruiser

Our family (two adults, 10yo, 14yo) is taking our first cruise on the Carnival Splendor in October! I've read lots of great tips here about what to pack, and I know not to take the kitchen sink, but I'm still a bit apprehensive that our cabin will end up looking like a disaster area after the first night. Does anyone have tips on keeping clothes, etc, organized?

Although somewhat tight quarters, most cruise lines do a good job with stateroom storage. Typically the closets are large enough with multiple hanger racks and shelves (you can ask for more hangers if needed) as well as ample room cabinet and shelf storage space. The beds are usually high enough to allow suitcases to fit underneath - which can then be used as dirty clothes storage - and there are nightstands with drawers as well. There also will be a vanity with a mirror and electrical outlets, etc. The bathroom -although usually quite small unless you are in a suite - will be similarly well organized. Take what you need - you will be fine.

Our family (two adults, 10yo, 14yo) is taking our first cruise on the Carnival Splendor in October! I've read lots of great tips here about what to pack, and I know not to take the kitchen sink, but I'm still a bit apprehensive that our cabin will end up looking like a disaster area after the first night. Does anyone have tips on keeping clothes, etc, organized?

As the previous poster mentioned, you will have plenty of storage and closet space.

The key to being comfortable in somewhat close quarters is to assign everyone "space" for their items.

Try not to bring along too many items that you might not need or use. Examples--you will have a hair dryer in your cabin no need to bring your own, be willing to share some items such as ipads.

Keep the cabin tidy, throw trash into the trash can, pull up the bedding, put all the used towels in one pile, stack up any used plates and when you are done with something put it back in it's assigned spot.

You will be surprised at the difference being tidy will make and your steward will be so happy!

All very good advice by the PPs. However, I do know how much little stuff can end up getting packed, and keeping all the small odds and ends organized and tidy can be difficult. Especially with children.

We always bring an over the door shoe organizer to hold all of this 'stuff'. It doesn't take up much room in the suitcase, and it really helps to tame the clutter.

We take several strong magnets with clips. The walls are metal. We always keep the kids club schedule, daily planner, etc. hanging on the wall so it's easy to find at any time. We stand an empty suitcase in the closet to use as a hamper. If clothes are dirty they must be placed in the "hamper".

I think the key to four people (two kids) in a cabin is the over the door shoe holder. There will be ample space for clothes, but the little odds and ends (sunscreen, kids' club stuff, etc.) can clutter up the joint unless you have a place for them. The shoe holder is perfect for that.

Have never traveled with kids but like to keep cabin organized. I suggest getting some of those folding mesh cubes; usually 12 x 12 or 8 x 8 or so. Great for dirty clothes. Could have one for each of the kids to keep their stuff together.

If the cabin has the let down bunks, I have read suggestions from other posters to keep one bunk down during the day for kids to play or nap on. And as a place to keep their stuff/stuffies/etc.

This is our cabin on Coral Princess, and you can see in the lower left corner of the closet a pop-up hamper, the smallest I have found. It is bright yellow, about 12" square/cube, and folds glat, or twists into a 6" round for storage. I found it in WalMart, hanging folded in a plastic pouch in the laundry section. You can also find slightly larger ones in supermarkets, hanging on those ubiquitous things along the aisles. EM

P1040680_zps811f4e48.jpg

I think the key to four people (two kids) in a cabin is the over the door shoe holder. There will be ample space for clothes, but the little odds and ends (sunscreen, kids' club stuff, etc.) can clutter up the joint unless you have a place for them. The shoe holder is perfect for that.

I love my over the door shoe holder (not for shoes) just make sure you get the clear see through kind, not the canvas or cloth one. Seeing your items makes it so much easier. We have a dedicated pocket just for our S&S each night, makes it so much easier to find in the morning.

I always wrap each pair of shoes I take in a plastic shopping bag. After I put my shoes in the closet I have empty shopping bags that I use to put my dirty clothes into. When the bag is full, I take the clothes out & put them in the suitcases under the bed. I've been known to take a fair amount of shoes... So I always have enough bags for laundry & ones to put the still damp swimsuits in to take home.

Have fun on your cruise!

I too would recommend the over the door shoe holder with the clear pockets. As others have said, it's a great place to up all the small stuff that would end up everywhere.

With 4 people, you'd probably need a pretty good sized hamper. I'd suggest a plastic garbage bag that can be stored under a bed. That way, you can just throw that bag in a suitcase when it's time to pack up and go home.

I'd suggest too that you share things you can like toothpaste hair products etc. then, each person has his or her own toiletry bag with stuff he or she wants. That bag stays packed in their drawer and only brought out when needed. That way, you don't have a bunch of toiletries all over the place. Also, if you are taking a first aid kit or extra meds like aspirin or other meds not taken daily, I'd leave those packed in a suitcase under the bed. No need to have them out if you might not even need them or they only made be needed rarely.

Finally, try to pack light. I know.....probably easier said than done. However, the less stuff you have, the less you have to clutter up the place.

Enjoy your cruise!

• The over the door shoe rack is a wonderful controller of clutter! I have suction hooks and actually put it on the wall rather than a door. It is more out of the way then.
  • Toiletry bags with a hanger can be hung on towel racks in the bathroom.
  • Pillow cases also make good laundry bags. The key is keeping them under the bed!!
  • Post-a-notes and dry erase markers make keeping track of family easy! We designate one mirror as the message board. When I took my granddaughters cruising [about the same age as your children] the rule was if they changed location and couldn't find me, they were to leave a note on the mirror. It worked like a charm - they had some freedom, but I always knew where they were.
  • Magnets - an easy way to keep track of spa appointment cards, excursion tickets.

Most important! It's vacation! Kick back and enjoy!

Hey CT,

Bathroom access can be problematic even for two. Just remember there are showers, shampoo, shower gel and towels etc in the gym change room. I often go there to get cleaned up. It's roomier and you leave your wet towels behind.

Dad can take the boys there to clean up while Mom gets some peace to ready herself for dinner. It makes a huge difference.

Enjoy!:cool:

Before unpacking anything ... look at the space you have and think about where you are going to put things.

If you need an extra drawer, put some things in a suitcase that easily slides in & out under the bed and use it as an extra large drawer.

Use two suitcases for this if you need to. :D

It'll work out. Look forward to having a wonderful cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

good ideas, I would suggest take less then you think you need. Depending on the ship you can do laundry if you need. Especially if going to places like Mexico. One time my family of 6 got back on the ship and it was so hot out we were wet all the way through from sweat. I threw the clothes in the wash immediately. Can't imagine how stinky it would have been if I hadn't. I know some people don't like to do laundry on the ship but I don't like to lug 2 suitcases around so I do laundry.

Most importantly relax. Don't overthink. Enjoy!

Archived