Venice Food

cleobella

Hello,

I am collecting names of restaurants in venice that are good, reasonably priced and recommended. We tend to stay away from restaurants that are too formal. We are good with eat in or take away. Has anyone had a great meal in Venice and could you share your best meal story? I have heard that Venice can be a gastronomical disappointment but I just know there must be some great places too!

Well formal is not a problem in Venice so need to concern yourself with that issue. But finding quality food at a decent price is not an easy task. Of the more then dozen dinners we have eaten in Venice we can only recall one that was totally satisfying (from a price, quality, fun aspect) and that restaurant is no longer in business (probably because they charged reasonable prices). You can look around web sites like Trip Advisor and read current restaurant reviews which might help. Our best luck has usually come from recommendations made by employees at our hotel (we usually stay at the Ca Doge). Having traveled extensively in Italy (we have driven over 10,000 miles in the country) we view Venice as a very fun and romantic city with sub-standard cuisine. There are exceptions, but we have learned to accept that our Venice meals will be mediocre.

Hank

We were in Venice for several days in the beginning of August. Our small hotel recommended Mascareta. (Enoiteca Mascareta wine bar) The hotel made a reservation and the food, wine and service were all outstanding. The price was reasonable, about 90euros for 2 appetizers, 2 dinners, 6 gasses of wine, 1 desert and 1 coffee. We basicallyvlet our waiter order for us. No charge for service or bread. My DH and I probably have 1-2 drinks a month, so we had fun stumbling through the dark alleyways of Venice trying to find our hotel! The next night we went to a different restaurant where our hotel made a reservation. We were not pleased by the lack of welcome by the staff, and the prices were high, so we left and returned to Mascareta. The restaurant was full, so we dined in the bar area and our experience was equally as good! If you go, try the black mussels, one of he best things I have ever eaten! The tiramisu is also excellent. Mascareta address: Calle Lunga S. Maria Formosa, 5183 30122 Venezia

Flcruiser3 your story about stumbling around Venice after a few drinks reminds me of a similar story we have from Barcelona. Our first night there we ate at a really charming out of the way restaurant. I had one drink and it was very strong. Then the friendly owner gave us a drink on the house. I don't know if it was unusually strong booze or just my lack of drinking habit but I barely made it home to the Hotel! I was sloshed! DH was OK though, so we made it back to the hotel but since I was the one who was suppose to have the directions it was an interesting walk!

We spent several days in Venice last July. The first place we stopped at was Ristorante Pizzeria da Alvise, on the Venetian Lagoon with beautiful outside seating looking directly towards Murano and San Michele Island. Its is just steps from the Fondamente Nove vaporatta stop.

We enjoyed it so much that we returned there next day!! Food was delicious, from simple pizza or spaghetti to more complex dishes like stuffed crab!!! Prices were very reasonable, I guess in the 40 euro range for 2 including wine. :D

Here are some restaurants that I've been to and enjoyed the food.

La Zucca

Ponte del Meglio/Calle delle Tintor 1762, Santa Croce Tel: 041-524-1570 Closed Sundays

Taverna San Trovaso

Dorsoduro, 1016, Venice Phone: 39-041-520-3703

Pizzeria Al Vecio Canton

Castello, 4738/a Tel 041-528-5176 www.alveciocanton.com

Cantina Do Mori

San Polo, 429

For 'cicchetti'

Osteria da Alberto

Tel - 041 5238153 Cannaregio 5401, calle Giacinto Gallina, Santi Giovanni e Paolo

Trattoria alla RivettaCastello 4625 (on Salizzada San Provolo)

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

Hello,

I am collecting names of restaurants in venice that are good, reasonably priced and recommended. We tend to stay away from restaurants that are too formal. We are good with eat in or take away. Has anyone had a great meal in Venice and could you share your best meal story? I have heard that Venice can be a gastronomical disappointment but I just know there must be some great places too!

We had dinner one night at Trattoria da Giorgio ai Greci. A nice canal side restaurant with a few outside tables. The best deal was going to the back pages of the menu and ordering from the Tourist Menu portion. The meal was quite good and at a resonable price. Larry

We and (from Trip Advisor) can recommend "Osteria Mocenigo da Guido e Luca".

Easiest way to find is to get off at the San Stae vaporetto stop, walk straight in to the main street there and soon on the R hand side you will find this small restaurant. Restaurant opens after 7pm at night and will then have some tables outside on the L hand side of the street.

BUT........ the absolute best thing I had to eat in Venice recently was the fresh fruit from the Rialto Food Market. DO NOT MISS THAT!

Had a peach that I had to eat standing bend over, due to all the juice coming out and which had that delicious old fashioned real peach taste. Also had some fantastic yellow prunes.

Oh, how do I wished to have sampled more!

Hi all

Great idea to start this thread; it will be really useful for all those going to Venice!:)

Maybe info can be added about restaurants in specific areas too, to help people find restaurants near their hotel.:)

Can anyone recommend good restaurants and bars near the Hotel Arlecchino in the Santa Croce area?

Cheers

Amanda

Thanks for all the great ideas. Amanda, we are staying at the Arlecchino too, so I am especially interested in restaurants in that neighbourhood too. I hear it's a good mixture of local and tourist places there?

Hi again Cleobella!

What a coincidence staying in the same hotel, out of all the hotels in Venice lol!!:p What dates are you there? We are flying in on 21 May and boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam on 24 May.

Yes, from what I've read there are some good bars and restaurants in that area that are fairly reasonably priced as it's an area frequented by students and there are not as many tourists as some other areas. I don't have any names of places yet though. I think it's about 25 mins walk from St Mark's Square. I like that it is not in the main tourist area!:)

Hopefully others here will be able to share the names of some good places in the area (near Piazzale Roma).

Cheers

Amanda

For your "take away" food, just in case you aren't in the mood for a sit-down: While walking around Venice, you'll see plenty of bars with windows full of panini. Take a few seconds to just browse through the windows. It was a favorite way of mine to eat in Venice. If you see something that piques your interest, go ahead and buy one. Also, those bars many times have a selection of antipasti - go in and stand at the bar and have a few "munchies." I say "stand" because it is cheaper than taking a table, but if you want, you can also take a table!

For your "take away" food, just in case you aren't in the mood for a sit-down: While walking around Venice, you'll see plenty of bars with windows full of panini. Take a few seconds to just browse through the windows. It was a favorite way of mine to eat in Venice. If you see something that piques your interest, go ahead and buy one. Also, those bars many times have a selection of antipasti - go in and stand at the bar and have a few "munchies." I say "stand" because it is cheaper than taking a table, but if you want, you can also take a table!

Great suggestions! I have had more than one dinner that was a crawl of cicchetti (the little Venetian antipasti) bars. You can find yummy things that you won't see anywhere else in Italy.

Highly recommend http://veciofritolin.it/ - we went there twice - wonderful fritto misto

Also, we've eaten at several of the restaurants to be found on this website: http://www.veneziaristoranti.it/index-en.htm

Most of them have their own websites linked from the website above to give you some idea of the food on offer and, in some cases, the prices.

Edited by Bobal

We and (from Trip Advisor) can recommend "Osteria Mocenigo da Guido e Luca".

Easiest way to find is to get off at the San Stae vaporetto stop, walk straight in to the main street there and soon on the R hand side you will find this small restaurant. Restaurant opens after 7pm at night and will then have some tables outside on the L hand side of the street.

My hotel is just steps from Osteria Mocenigo da Guido e Luca, so I'm looking forward to going there for dinner one night. I'll arrivei n Venice on the 28th!!

Monica