Fashionable carryon bag 1st day essentials.

cruising_family

There are lots of posts that advise carrying on a small bag for necessities until we are able to get into our cabin and get our luggage. A bag for things like meds, bathing suit, makeup whatever one would need to get by. My question is this: what type of bags do you ladies carry? (looking for links, names or pictures) I don't want an ugly duffel bag, backpack or rolling bag. I'm sure you fashionistas and seasoned travelers would have some great advice.

Thanks

I use a small rolling carry on, mine is a Briggs and Riley that holds quite a bit for a small bag. I will also take a small tote that slips over the handle of my roll aboard, same brand.

There are lots of small rolling bags in many different brands and price points. I prefer a rolling bag as toting my makeup, a change of clothes, Kindle and assorted other things can tend to get heavy on the shoulder.

I use my smallest suitcase.....or a large tote. Doesn't have to be "fashionable"....just easy to carry!

Cruising isn't as "fashionable" as the photos might lead you to believe! Just like flying isn't as "fashionable" as it once was!

That's true, but just am hoping for something cute, that looks more like a handbag than a piece of luggage.

Rolling bag for me as well - one with 4 wheels. Along with another tote. It's so crowded when you board because cabins aren't available and people and their stuff are everywhere.

Exactly why I didn't want to drag our luggage around the ship. Hoping for just a reasonable size bag to hold the necessities until our cabin is ready.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I appreciate your input.

. Hoping for just a reasonable size bag to hold the necessities until our cabin is ready.

On our last few cruises, I feel like we could get into our cabin right away. Maybe that's just Princess or because we were on the small ship? Anyhooooo, I just bring my regular carry-ons from the plane - typically a small backpack or a tote and a 20" international size rolling carry-on. I might check the rolling bag at the pier if it doesn't have anything important in it and keep just my tote or backpack. I typically have a smaller purse inside that bag.

I have a pacsafe Citysafe 200 in black and I find it's a pretty big bag for touring - can easily fit guidebooks/maps, mp3 with audio tours, water bottle, and rain coat or sweater in it - something like that would probably be big enough to fit the things you mention in your first post. http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/citysafe-200-gii-anti-theft-handbag/229064?productid=10174433&lastSearchTerm=pacsafe+citysafe+200+gii+anti-theft+handbag

I also have the ebags Piazza day bag and I prefer that size for normal touring - wouldn't fit a coat but does fit camera & water bottle. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?productid=1237311

I need to do something about the strap though - it's not nearly as comfy as the pacsafe; the nylon rubs. Got both these bags on sale from ebags - one of their daily email sales I think.

I have a couple of the nylon Ameribag back saver bags too - a red one that has seen better days since I used it heavily as a travel bag (fits so much!) and the newer green one is an odd size -I kept it but shouldn't have as it's too big and too small - an odd in-between size that doesn't work for my needs :-(

I use this duffel:

http://m.louisvuitton.com/mobile/eng_US/Collections/Men/Travel/products/Keepall-55-with-Shoulder-Strap-MONOGRAM-M41414

I love having handles as well as a shoulder strap. A handbag will fit inside it along with the essentials, and it looks sort of like a handbag, sort of like luggage. This is my preferred airline carryon, as well. It fits easily in an overhead bin or under a seat if there's no bin available. Its soft structure makes it easy to carry a lot or a little.

Several companies make duffels in this style. I know I have seen them at the Coach outlet from time to time. I have also seen them nylon canvas versions in department stores.

Check out some of the offerings from Le Sportsac. Plenty of options on size and style and patterns. http://www.lesportsac.com

I like to carry my Le Sportsac onboard flights. Very durable but with a fun print. Depends on your style but Le Sportsac has many different prints.

Believe it or not, Betsy Johnson has a luggage line called Betsyville that I like with cute, trendy luggage. I think it may be discontinued, so you can find good deals online or in stores like TJ Maxx.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/betseyville-luggage

I travel with lesportsac - love the duffels for bringing back dirty clothes and putting souvenirs in my carry-on instead. But I don't like to carry the totes I have for very long with any weight in them because the straps dig into my shoulders. Don't have that problem with the crossbody purse or other purse I have (that I tend to use as a crossbody even though it's a shoulder strap I think)

We have long plane trip with change of planes too. We will have 2 checked pcs, 2 roll a boards, DH has a duffle and I have a large tote. We pack the heavy shoes in his duffle with a change of clothes and some undies. My tote holds jewelry, meds, paperwork, a pashmina and a t-shirt for emergencies (I've been known to spill) and some undies. We rearrange things from plane to ship travel; that is, extra undies, but no shoes in our carry ons. Everything goes to the porters at shoreside except my tote with the valuables. I hate hanging on to roller bags or several carry-ons while we eat lunch and tour the ship before our room is ready. I feel if I watch our bags being put in the luggage bins, then they will probably show up at my room. Of course, we tip the porters well.

Margee

Another thing I do when packing for any trip.. is put a few days worth of outfits in DH suitcase and a few of his in my suitcase just in case one of us doesn't get our luggage when we are suppose to. Also in the carryons put an extra set of clothes... better to be prepared

I like Baggalini products. This is the one I am going to use. http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Expandable-Tote-Bag-Espresso/dp/B000F3WZOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379976349&sr=8-4&keywords=baggallini+tote

I love "problems" like this! :D

I agree about Baggalini bags. I like some of their totes. I have several black that are so lightweight and carry a fair amount.

I like Baggalini products. This is the one I am going to use. http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Expandable-Tote-Bag-Espresso/dp/B000F3WZOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379976349&sr=8-4&keywords=baggallini+tote

I love "problems" like this! :D

That's the same one I use! I got it for about $30 at Marshall's.

We have long plane trip with change of planes too. We will have 2 checked pcs, 2 roll a boards, DH has a duffle and I have a large tote. We pack the heavy shoes in his duffle with a change of clothes and some undies. My tote holds jewelry, meds, paperwork, a pashmina and a t-shirt for emergencies (I've been known to spill) and some undies. We rearrange things from plane to ship travel; that is, extra undies, but no shoes in our carry ons. Everything goes to the porters at shoreside except my tote with the valuables. I hate hanging on to roller bags or several carry-ons while we eat lunch and tour the ship before our room is ready. I feel if I watch our bags being put in the luggage bins, then they will probably show up at my room. Of course, we tip the porters well.

Margee

Remember - your DH's duffle and your "large" tote need to be small enough to fit UNDER your seat!!!! It sounds like they won't fit and you are planning to put all 4 pieces up in the overhead (a no-no unless the flight is empty)...

Last couple of short cruises I have taken a 4 piece matching set in this style, but not this ugly pattern, I actually bought mine about 4 years ago and it is a dark cerise/purple with a few wee lilac and white flowers. I have the wheeled tote, beauty case, large wheeled duffle bag and a cross over style small bag. I check in the rolling duffle and carry on the other three pieces as the beauty bag sides onto the handle of the wheeled bag and carry the crossover. Keeps my Bubbly and other "essentials" safe and it is not too cumbersome to take around the ship till we can get into the cabin.

I do have fancier luggage and nicer hand luggage, but I don't take it cruising normally (LV/Gucci). I prefer to use this when I am flying as it is more suited to that.

The prices are in Sterling.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?ps=default&catalogId=10001&lid=%2F%2Fproductsuniverse%2Fen_GB%2Finsearch%3D1%2Fcategories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_d1_sale_60861%7D%2Fcategories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_d1_sale_60861_18163%7D%2Fbrand_description%3E%7Bmaisie20moo%7D&langId=-1&storeId=10701&pn=1

Guest maddycat
Check out some of the offerings from Le Sportsac. Plenty of options on size and style and patterns. www.lesportsac.com

I love lesportsac. They hardly weigh anything. My everyday bag which I use all year long is lesportsac. I've had it for a few years now. I wash it in the machine on the gentle cycle and hang it to dry. It comes out looking like new. I love all of the zippered compartments.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7507_5205.html

Archived