Fashionable carryon bag 1st day essentials.

cruising_family

I know the rules about stowing carry-ons under the seat and the roll-a boards must fit in the overhead bins. We had to buy new roll-a boards when they made the measurements smaller to make sure they fit. My tote is large, but definitely fits and DH's duffle does too. Both pieces fit fine but the tote usually lays flat.

I should add for the OP that I went luggage shopping for 6 months in 2 different states to get what I'd call fashionable luggage and coordinating tote. I finally got eggplant brocade soft side luggage and an eggplant tote with a zipper. I even coordinate my travel wardrobe!

My last purchase was a small lock for the tote and duffle so the security folks can't steal. If they want in while we go thru security, they can ask us to open it. All our valuables are in the carry-ons. The luggage handlers and security folks in baggage can open if they want to, and they usually do.

Margee

I use this Le Sportsac bag. Found it on clearance at DSW for $8 several years ago. Seen others at Marshall's in the $40-$50 range.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7005_M049.html

We also have a knockoff from Target of this bag-

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7185_5205.html

It has been on many flights and is still looking good.

DD takes this bag when she can not check a bag on RyanAir and other restrictive European airlines. RyanAir is generous with their 10K carryon limit. Some only allow 7K.

I care both about comfort and looking nice. I carry a vera bradley backpack and hipster bag. I pack everything in a 20" wheeled carry-on, then can use the sleeve on the back of the backpack to put it on top of the carry-on until that gets dropped off at the porter. I only carry it on my back getting through security/check-in/and getting on the ship.

Inside the backpack goes 1 nice dress, 1 bathing suit and coverup, some extra undies and an extra pair of flats as well as magazines, a book, any needed meds and my small make-up/hair bag.

Inside the hipster bag goes my cell phone, wallet, cruise docs and passport.

I know the rules about stowing carry-ons under the seat and the roll-a boards must fit in the overhead bins. We had to buy new roll-a boards when they made the measurements smaller to make sure they fit. My tote is large, but definitely fits and DH's duffle does too. Both pieces fit fine but the tote usually lays flat.

I should add for the OP that I went luggage shopping for 6 months in 2 different states to get what I'd call fashionable luggage and coordinating tote. I finally got eggplant brocade soft side luggage and an eggplant tote with a zipper. I even coordinate my travel wardrobe!

My last purchase was a small lock for the tote and duffle so the security folks can't steal. If they want in while we go thru security, they can ask us to open it. All our valuables are in the carry-ons. The luggage handlers and security folks in baggage can open if they want to, and they usually do.

Margee

I was just checking ;) I was on some flights this weekend where every little thing was put in the overhead - it's one of my travel peeves...

Good for you on the lock! I do the exact same thing. I don't trust those TSA clerks - too many instances of wandering fingers AND I want to be present for ANY searching or inspection of my bags.

My Sister gave me this Amelia Earhart 16" Cosmetic Tote for my birthday. Mine is same style, but different print. It is beige/brown background with a very soft pastel color plaid with gold leather type handles, zipper and hardware. The middle section is very large and has straps all along the sides to keep items upright. The outside zippered compartment has credit card slots and plenty of room for items I would normally carry in my purse. I love it and can’t wait to use it on our cruise in October.

Ame.jpg.2a7b9c57c2e7b50e8ef23cb58de30db8.jpg

We take 2. In the rolling bag(small bag the matches luggage) we put all our meds, toiletries, one book each. The other bag is my Vera Bradley beach bag, that we put a change of clothes, both short and long pants, and if we are going to use the pool immediately, a swim suit.

Bag serves double duty since on pool days, I take it to the beach/pool

After a bunch of research on all the great suggestions I finally purchased the bag. I was really intrigued by the Dooney and Burke Disney cruise bag but couldn't find one I wanted and they were only on Ebay. The bag is just for meds, Kindle, tablet, bathing suit, change of clothes, imp docs, water bottle etc, for the first day before getting into our cabin with our regular luggage. It's not really a "carry-on bag" for the plane trip.

I ended up getting a Vera Bradley weekender bag which I love. I chose a bag design that was on sale, got free shipping and had a discount code for $10 off. All in all, I love my choice. Again I appreciate all your suggestions so much.:D

If we're flying in the day of our cruise we usually have a small rolling carry on plus I have my Longchamps bag. If we're in the city of departure for a few days pre cruise I'll just put whatever I'll need for the few hours upon embarking in my Longchamps bag only. You can fit a lot of things in it and anyone who has one knows how great they are. Pricy but great. They come in tons of different colours as well.

http://us.longchamp.com/pliage/nylon

I use the same bag for my flight carry on and for embarkation - a large, white leather crocodile print hand bag with brass hardware. It's large enough to hold absolutely everything I need, and WAY more stylish than a duffle bag. ;) The white and brass together seem very nautical to me and go with my standard embarkation outfit of black and white dress and black tuxedo jacket. I think I found it at Saks 5 or 6 years ago, and now that I think about it, I only carry it when I cruise! :)

May I suggest that you also put jewelry in your carry on, too? I don't have expensive jewels, but would be ticked off if they didn't make it to the cabin! Not that I need an excuse to buy more earrings/bracelets in port :D

Big fan of Vera Bradley bags... love that they can be washed. Wednesdays are great days to check their Web site - often there are sales that day. And some patterns were 70 percent off yesterday. The weekender or overnight traveler or duffel has plenty of room for necessities and a change of clothes, swimsuit, and the sort - things you may want before your real bags make it to your room.

Big fan of Vera Bradley bags... love that they can be washed. Wednesdays are great days to check their Web site - often there are sales that day. And some patterns were 70 percent off yesterday. The weekender or overnight traveler or duffel has plenty of room for necessities and a change of clothes, swimsuit, and the sort - things you may want before your real bags make it to your room.

Thanks for the tip! My DD loves their bags.

I usually take a large lightweight tote in a fun pattern. Very Bradley and Thirty-one have a wide variety of styles and patterns. You can find similar styles at a cheaper cost at Target, or TJ Maxx, etc. These bags are very versatile and can be use beyond your cruise.

Archived