Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

I just wanted to report our experience with the new alcohol policy. We packed a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag and our luck finally ran out. Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed. They do not return it at the end of the cruise. So I guess they're getting serious about the new alcohol policy.

Susan

They should not search your bag without you there! They could lay themselves open to charges of theft, if you claimed something else was missing from your bag! Know they have a stated alcohol policy which should be adhered to by passengers but that does not excuse the cruiseline security staff going into anyone's bag.

I just wanted to report our experience with the new alcohol policy. We packed a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag and our luck finally ran out. Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed. They do not return it at the end of the cruise. So I guess they're getting serious about the new alcohol policy.

Susan

Susie, sorry to hear that. It was nice meeting you both on the South American cruise this year. Send me your email address and I'll send you photos of our evening in the Crown Grill. wchrisjan@hotmail.co.uk

They should not search your bag without you there! They could lay themselves open to charges of theft, if you claimed something else was missing from your bag! Know they have a stated alcohol policy which should be adhered to by passengers but that does not excuse the cruiseline security staff going into anyone's bag.

I don't get it. If you were not trying to sneak in alcohol to begin with you would not have to worry about them looking into your bags. The airlines do it all the time without you being there. and they just put a note in your bag that they did open it.

Edited by waltd

Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed.

Destroyed?

Please define 'destroyed' !!!

Destroyed meaning it was thrown in the trash? Or destroyed meaning a member of the ship's crew made themselves a nice cocktail before hitting the sack? :eek: :D

Susan

Like CruiseJunky, I would appreciate your sharing where you were cruising to and from, and on which ship.

Thanks.

This happened to us in March on the Golden. Our bag did not show up at the cabin we had to go deck 4 by the medical centre to claim our bag where it was searched, all alcohol was removed and destroyed.

Is there something in the cruise contract or terms of passage that allows the cruise line to open and search bags in the passangers' absence?

No alcohol, one bottle of wine.

No, not really. Princess allows unlimited 750ml bottles of wine and Champagne. The first bottle per adult is free to bring on board, and free to be consumed in your cabin. All additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee at the time of boarding, and once that is paid, the bottles can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost. The "free bottles" will be subject to the $15 corkage fee at the time of consumption if consumed in a public area such as a dining room or lounge.

There seems to be a misconception that because Princess charges a fee for bottles in excess of the free allotment, that only one bottle per person is permitted. But rest assured, under no circumstances will Princess confiscate, destroy or in any way prohibit* anyone from bringing on multiple bottles of wine or Champagne. They just have to be 750ml bottles, and they just have to be paid for.

*Australian departures have reported different rules.

Is there something in the cruise contract or terms of passage that allows the cruise line to open and search bags in the passangers' absence?

The Passage Contract:

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location.

JimmyWine is correct but Princess also requests that your wine be brought on the ship in your carry-on, NOT checked luggage. The is a quote from luggage tages " Bringing Alcohol onboard? Please remember our CARRY-ON alcohol policy". The words carry-on are not in caps on the luggage tags, but the rest is a direct quote. That way once you board you will be instructed to go to a table where you will be charged $15 per bottle over your limit.

If you put it in your checked luggage, then Princess can destroy it.

BUT at this time only some ports are following the rules while others ignore them. That is why we all want to know which port you departed from where they destroyed your alcohol and if it was wine or what.

If you put it in your checked luggage, then Princess can destroy it.

It is certainly a best practice to carry wine on board. But if it is detected in checked luggage, it isn't supposed to be destroyed. It is supposed to be claimed and paid for in the "naughty room". The problem being, that once it is out of your sight, you don't know if the person on the other end is as familiar with the rules as you will be. Or will care. If you carry it on, then you are present during inspection and detection and can work with whomever you might encounter if they do not know the rules.

Destroyed?

Please define 'destroyed' !!!

Destroyed meaning it was thrown in the trash? Or destroyed meaning a member of the ship's crew made themselves a nice cocktail before hitting the sack? :eek: :D

For all we know the crew might keep several bottles of what is suppose to be destroyed and have one hell of a party!!:)

Does it really make a difference how it was destroyed? The alcohol policy was broken and the penalty is you don't keep your liquor.

Does it really make a difference how it was destroyed? The alcohol policy was broken and the penalty is you don't keep your liquor.

Of course it makes no difference. I simply got a kick out of the word 'destroyed'. It was a small injuction of humor as evidenced by the faces used at the end of the sentence! ;)