LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Dave, I really don't do reviews as a lot of things are subjective and everyone's cruise experience can be different.

We are not foodies so talking about food not my thing. I will say the presentation in the dining room was nice. Food really there just like on all the other Princess ships. The big difference was the great layout of

Horizon Ct. and Bistro. So many food stations with lots of variety.

I was sick on most of the cruise so to review food not a good thing as nothing tasted good to me.Last night of cruise, Rui had asked if we wanted a special Indian dinner . One of the Chef's was Indian and he said it would be outstanding. And it was really special .Even with my bad cold, could savor the flavors.

Room Steward was really good. One of the best we ever had, so efficient. Never had to ask for anything as he really did his job well.

We had a fixed dining table in anytime dining room Deck 5 (Symphony).Very doubtful that our female Waiter will be around long. By far the worst we have ever had and she was reported. One night

we waited one hour before our first course appeared. When we complained to her she said"Well, you do have your bread".

There were six of us .I usually view dinner as a place to relax and visit with friends so normally slow service wouldn't affect me. But this was beyond bad. This was not normal service for this dining room. This Wait person was the exception. It appeared like the other waiters were efficient . We experienced better service when we changed tables the last night.

Gloria

So sorry to hear you were sick most of the cruise!! And then to fly home. Following Pia's live and it seems you had to deal with cool temps and rain in several ports. Did you have any sunny nice days? Take care. I believe you have a family event coming up. If my memory hadn't totally gone south, do have a great time. Hello to Lou. One of these days our paths will cross again

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you know that local legend says that lovers will be granted everlasting love and bliss if they kiss on a gondola at sunset under the Bridge of Sighs?

That’s about it for now. BTW, internet minutes did carry over. Makes me very happy. Also, since there are so many CC people now aboard and they will be posting regularly, I may curtail things a bit from my end. No need to keep repeating the same things over and over again.

Delighted to hear that your valuable internet minutes carried over, Pia.

Please continue to give us your unique perspective, as that is the reason many people, like me, follow your always enjoyable Live Threads.

Do you notice a change in group dynamics with each separate segment of your cruise?

Good Luck with your trivia.

Any luck getting me some pictures of the obstructed balcony cabins so I can use them on my website? As far as I know they are all on the Emerald deck.

By the way, I like the "live from" treads also. I hardly ever comment on them but pretty well read them all.

Theo

Any luck getting me some pictures of the obstructed balcony cabins so I can use them on my website? As far as I know they are all on the Emerald deck.

By the way, I like the "live from" treads also. I hardly ever comment on them but pretty well read them all.

Theo

I love your obstructed view website. I had asked about them because we booked one for April on the Royal. Dave was nice enough to respond with this link. You now have your first pictures!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38722956&postcount=4646

There is no longer free internet for anybody no matter which cabin you have. Nothing has changed with the allocation for Plats and Elites.

Bob: If you're going to muster, hurry back. We're coming to your cabin. So many people I have yet to meet.

Just in case anyone needs to know, I've done nothing today other than play trivia and eat. What an accomplishment. :eek:

Pia! Off this topic but....Anything change with the hair dryers onboard? I seem to remember on the inaugural sailing they were not held in high esteem. (the ones in the drawers in the desk). Any improvement? Your thoughts on the ratings/adequacy of the hair dryers now??

Thanks!

I love your obstructed view website. I had asked about them because we booked one for April on the Royal. Dave was nice enough to respond with this link. You now have your first pictures!!

I have seen those pictures and downloaded them a while back. I assume that the view from identical cabins is the same.

I would like to get my hands on some pictures that show the view from the cabins that are in line with the davits. I think that the davits obstructing the view significantly more than the lifeboats themselves. Also the big tenders will probably blocking the view quite a bit.

Anyway, all pictures are welcome either posted on CC or send to my email. theog99@telus.net

Sorry to intrude on this tread :o, it wont happen again ;).

Theo

Love reading this thread.

Funnyfingers - great insightful review. One question - you said for Elite, they get shampoo in a tube ... what about conditioner and lotion? Thanks.

Pia - please keep posting. What kind of prizes are they giving for trivia wins?

Dave - once again thanks for great pix.

Dave, I really don't do reviews as a lot of things are subjective and everyone's cruise experience can be different.

Your dinner service sounds like the one I experienced on Ruby Princess last year, along with a lot of other issues. Glad you enjoyed your special Indian meal. And I certainly understand your point on reviews as there wasn't one from me last year either. Overall I hope you had a nice time on Royal Princess. :)

It’s Friday October 11th and we’re at sea. Weather might even hit 64 today and perhaps the winds will have died down. Last night was horrendous. You could have been blown away when you opened any exterior door. We decided not to attend the welcome aboard show and saw the Barbra Streisand movie Guilt Trip instead.

Bob, one of our CC people, invited a bunch of us to his suite for sail away yesterday. So nice. Food and drink and friendships; our roll call really came to life. Thank you Bob. We loved being there. And this morning we will have our M & G in Vista. We have had a huge roll call, so it will be interesting how many show up.

Here is some of today’s morning agenda. The Wake Show will be Live in Princess Live at 9:00 with audience participation. There’s a lecture by Jules Talarico in the theater at 10; A Tourist View of the Geology of Italy, MUTS will be showing Finding Nemo (also at 10) and in Princess Live at 11:00 will be a Wine Pairing Demonstration. 11:15 brings us a port talk on Messina, Italy (we are there tomorrow) and a pub lunch begins at 11:30.

Afternoon offers a big surprise. I had no idea he was going to be on board. It’s John Maxtone-Graham talking about Royal Princess III; the conception, design, appearance and christening of Princess Cruise’s newest vessel. As an aside, we first met this gentleman back in the early 90’s on the original Royal and have attended many of his lectures since that time on many different ships. Others things in the afternoon will be Top Gun on MUTS and the first meeting of pop choir.

This is formal night, so of course there will be a champagne waterfall and a welcome by our Capt. in the Piazza on all three decks. The production show Colors of the World will be in the theater and Star Trek into Darkness is on MUTS. Princess Live will have several game shows (Alphabet trivia and the Yes/No game) and Vista will have a ventriloquist; Jimmy Tamley.

It’s either feast or famine and today offers too much feast. No many things to do; so many conflicts. Will just have to pick and choose. Our friends M & B are doing a vow renewal ceremony, so of course that's major on our agenda.

Off I go now. See you later. I have no intention of stopping, so not to worry. I may just have less to say. And Gloria, I miss you already. Wine time is just not the same without you.

Hairdryers: the same

Prizes: water bottles, carabiners, magnetic clips and lanyards.

Wow. Jules Talerico and John Maxtone-Graham. That's an abundance of riches, for sure. We had lunch with John and Mary several years ago on a Celebrity ship and he told us his son writes for The Simpsons. Now whenever we see Ian Maxtone-Graham credited at the end of a show, we think of John. He's a wonderful lecturer. Have fun!

First, sailaway from Venice yesterday. What an experience.

Today, went to the Meet & Greet and met lots of fellow CCr's. Having it in the Vista Lounge wasn't as good a venue but there were so many people, there wasn't much choice.

Found out that apparently, there are quite a few cabins with NO WiFi. Nothing. Zippo. The Royal Princess WiFi doesn't even how up as an option. :( I'm in cabin M611 so perhaps it might make sense to start a list of which cabins have no WiFi. I was told to use a public area or the Internet Cafe. Not happy about this.

Here's the sailaway.

ImageUploadedByForums1381495154.370513.jpg.34fb3a451050cf180e8b1e53067d8b5d.jpg

My standard balcony cabin:

ImageUploadedByForums1381495193.137908.jpg.4d7d87ee57e2c6d534c3a818b11cdbce.jpg

I know this is a shocker but we did Anytime last night and no wait. It was fine.

Have to admit that I do miss the mid-ship stairs. Not a deal breaker but I wish I could walk up or down the one flight to my cabin.

Thought on things that are of interest to me:Input button on TV does not work, so I cannot change HDMI inputs on TV. I disconnected HDMI input and connected my HDMI cable from Nexus 7 to TV. Works fine.Outdoor exercise stations now have instructions on how to use them.TRX is $100 for six lessons. I am the only one who signed up, so I have really personal training.Ran on jogging track. My GPS verified that seven laps does equal one mile. I prefer Royal track to tracks on other Princess ships, including Promenade.Have deluxe balcony cabin. Balcony, balcony chairs, and couch work for me.

We just completed our slot pull. Had 67 participants at $15/per. Our final total was $1016.00. We each get our $15 bucks back. Lots of fun for no money. Just thought I'd report now that I'm in the internet cafe killing time while Mike eats his gluttonous sundae in the ice cream parlour. :D

Later.

Thanks for the photos, Pam. What a shame not to have WIFI in your cabin!! Are they still working out kinks or is this the way it's going to be? Just wondering.

Have a great time!!

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip
Added title

Wondering if they have the Platinum/Elite lounge for pre dinner drinks, etc.? Usually held in Skywalker's but where would it be on the Royal? Always nice to share the time there with other cruisers.

Paul

Edited by PaulnBetts

Wow Pia...what a day!! we only saw Maxatone Graham once and had to stand in the back and it got to be too much because we couldn't hear well so we had to leave. Would love to hear him some time. Everything else sounds wonderful too! So much feasting is right. :D

So proud of Mike for having his sundae. :p David said to have one for him!! :D;)

Edited by bronxgirl25

Pia - no such thing as a gluttonous sundae :D

Pam - Love the pics! No in-cabin WiFi? Are there designated hot spots around the ship?

billco - THANKS for the great information. I'm so glad you are enjoying the jogging track. I know you were concerned about that.

Bob - just how many people did you get out on that balcony of yours? ;)

If anyone has time can you see if they have substituted anything for the Laser Shooting Range that 'went away'? It's on the starboard side just forward of the ping pong tables at the jogging track.