LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Sea Daze from somewhere in the Atlantic...

It's day three, yesterday the weather was nice, but I still can't open my balcony door without hearing a whistling noise that drives me batty. Lots of things to do. Trivia players getting mean and I am frightened about what it will look like tomorrow.

Bumping into lots of CC friends which is very nice. We had our luncheon, wait staff sang to us as well as the Rockin Royals singing the song they will compete with in Princess Popstar. Fun to hear them singing their song to Rockin Robin.

We had our "Via" (Starbucks instant coffee) stolen from our room and we are perplexed as to where it went. I reported it but nothing happened, which seems par for the course on this ship.

Yesterday's trivia was strange, the staff member who was running it kept telling very off colored jokes, the kind that makes you roll your eyes and groan. The questions were very very trivial such as name Popeye's 4 nephews...answer Poopeye, Pipeye, Papeye, and Pupeye!

Lots going on in the Piazza; music, food, friends, coffee, food, gossip, Gelato which tastes like Ice Cream, more friends, and more food! It's definitely the place to see and be seen.

Lots of people in the Elite/platinum lounge, which was changed from the Vista lounge to Club 6, and the food was nice. We didn't go to the Captain's party since we don't drink and the statistics are reported here anyway.

Food last night in the Concerto dining room was so so, I ask daily for the potatoes and rice be removed and replaced with broccoli and Asparagus and this is an impossible feat I guess since I never get it. It's very difficult to get anything prepared any special way. I have peanut allergies and informed my wait staff but they still serve me food with peanuts so I have to be vigilant about what is served to me. Be careful if you have any food allergies, it's probably best to order in advance with the head waiter.

Welcome to sea day number three; Tuesday, October 22nd. Weather today is a projected 75 and clear; sun hasn’t come up yet and it feels a bit humid.

Our “en suite” movie choice last night was What to Expect when Expecting. Eh! I read while watching it.

Oh Boy! Another $10 three hour sale this morning. Who can resist this? Me. Me. Me. Also this morning is lecture: Birds - An Evolutionary Approach, Dirty Dancing on MUTS, a pub lunch and a computer/internet, software class presented by our own Cruise Critic member Pam.

In the afternoon you can attend a lecture; Princes of Wales, Part II, “Girl Most Likely” in the theater and “The Italian Job” on MUTS. Princess Live will also feature a “Meet the Cast” - the opportunity to know the Royal Princess singers and dancers.

Tonight, “The Lone Ranger” will show on MUTS, the mentalist is back again in Vista and Joey Van (whom we’ve seen on another ship) is in the theater. He’s a “not so good” (my opinion) impressionist. There’s also a sports memorabilia auction and a gameshow; The Craziest Minute. I am going to try to get to the three card poker table. It’s been jammed every night.

COMMENTS:

1. Haven't seen ads for UST

2. Didn't mention blue because she didn't mention blue. Do the math. There are approx. 3300 on board.

3. Bob is incorrect. They only close off a small aft section for Crab Shack. And they only do it twice. All other sections of HC are open. We're up there every night. And Bistro is never open at night.

Breakfast is calling. It's a cheese day. ;)

Super Tuscan Wine Tasting

"Super Tuscan" is a term to describe a number of red wines that do not adhere to the wine laws of Tuscany.

Some Super Tuscans featured on Sabatini's Wine menu such as Solaia, Ornellaia, and Masseto, are based on Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Savignon and Merlot. Others, like Tignanello blend Tuscany's own Sangiovese with these Bordeaux varietals.

The wine tasting was $40.00/person and. Included a glass of champagne along with tasting of the wines mentioned above,

Pairings were with the appropriate food. Though we do not consider ourselves wine connoisseurs, we felt the experience well worth it.

Mom33, I discovered that site last week and was very disappointed when I saw the OS pictures. Bob said it was like two closets and that IS what it looks like in these pictures. The rendering shows two chairs by the sofa. These pictures show only one chair and a loveseat NOT a sofa. They have the coffee table pushed right up to the loveseat to make the room look wider. It looks like the cabin is not as deep as the aft suites on the other ships. Other OS also have a table and two chairs in the cabin. And then four chairs at the table on the balcony, not two like we have been seeing pictures of.

It looks like the PS have the sofa and two chairs.

I think this will be the last time I book a new ship before it launches. I really feel like canceling. Bob (and the rest of you), thanks for being so truthful in your posts.

Bob, you have mail.

Actually, the OS cabins we've had on the Ruby, Emerald, and Crown have all had a table with four chairs for dining with a lot of additional space around the table. Based on the photos on that website, I think the OS on the older ships probably has at least 150 sq. ft. more than the one Bob is in.

Mom33, I discovered that site last week and was very disappointed when I saw the OS pictures. Bob said it was like two closets and that IS what it looks like in these pictures. The rendering shows two chairs by the sofa. These pictures show only one chair and a loveseat NOT a sofa. They have the coffee table pushed right up to the loveseat to make the room look wider. It looks like the cabin is not as deep as the aft suites on the other ships. Other OS also have a table and two chairs in the cabin. And then four chairs at the table on the balcony, not two like we have been seeing pictures of.

It looks like the PS have the sofa and two chairs.

PS as in Premium Suite or Penthouse Suite? The Premium Suite is supposedly 100 sq ft bigger than the PS...but can't find any photos....

Pia, Bob and Everyone Else that's on Royal - Are they offering Ultimate Ship Tours?

Yew, they are! I did it on the first leg. They told us that they had had to draw names because of demand and the tour is limited to 12. I really enjoyed it as it was my first one. There were others on the tour who had done it before who enjoyed seeing the differences.

denise

Boy, after reading this thread I am wondering why in the world did I book the spring TA on the Royal (except we have a wonderful CC group already).

Can you please post what you really like about the ship?:confused:

I sincerely hope Princess is reading this thread. It is not very becoming to the ship or Princess in general.:(

Thank you everyone for your "Live From" and taking the time and minutes to do it.

Welcome to sea day number three; Tuesday, October 22nd. Weather today is a projected 75 and clear; sun hasn’t come up yet and it feels a bit humid.

Our “en suite” movie choice last night was What to Expect when Expecting. Eh! I read while watching it.

Oh Boy! Another $10 three hour sale this morning. Who can resist this? Me. Me. Me. Also this morning is lecture: Birds - An Evolutionary Approach, Dirty Dancing on MUTS, a pub lunch and a computer/internet, software class presented by our own Cruise Critic member Pam.

In the afternoon you can attend a lecture; Princes of Wales, Part II, “Girl Most Likely” in the theater and “The Italian Job” on MUTS. Princess Live will also feature a “Meet the Cast” - the opportunity to know the Royal Princess singers and dancers.

Tonight, “The Lone Ranger” will show on MUTS, the mentalist is back again in Vista and Joey Van (whom we’ve seen on another ship) is in the theater. He’s a “not so good” (my opinion) impressionist. There’s also a sports memorabilia auction and a gameshow; The Craziest Minute. I am going to try to get to the three card poker table. It’s been jammed every night.

COMMENTS:

1. Haven't seen ads for UST

2. Didn't mention blue because she didn't mention blue. Do the math. There are approx. 3300 on board.

3. Bob is incorrect. They only close off a small aft section for Crab Shack. And they only do it twice. All other sections of HC are open. We're up there every night. And Bistro is never open at night.

Breakfast is calling. It's a cheese day. ;)

I was up in the HC at 1930. Only one side was open. Half of one side was closed for the Crab Shack. The regular HC offerings (subjective assessment) were lacking.

Bob

Boy, after reading this thread I am wondering why in the world did I book the spring TA on the Royal (except we have a wonderful CC group already).

Can you please post what you really like about the ship?:confused:

I sincerely hope Princess is reading this thread. It is not very becoming to the ship or Princess in general.:(

Thank you everyone for your "Live From" and taking the time and minutes to do it.

The Piazza is very beautiful. 98% of the crew is great. Food & service in the CG & Sabatinis is wonderful. The placement of the CG & the wheelhouse bar together makes it impossible to have a quiet dinner due to the piano noise combined with the audiance participation. While eating dinner in Sabatinis I also noticed a lot of noise from the Piazza which also made enjoying a quiet dinner almost impossible.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Since one of the main reasons for the Royal Princess design is to provide more opportunities for passengers to spend money, have any of your currently cruising on her noticed passengers doing just that (ie: spending more money) than if they were cruising on another Princess ship?

Since one of the main reasons for the Royal Princess design is to provide more opportunities for passengers to spend money, have any of your currently cruising on her noticed passengers doing just that (ie: spending more money) than if they were cruising on another Princess ship?

I sure am. Especially in Facets.....:D:D:D

Bob

Super Tuscan Wine Tasting

"Super Tuscan" is a term to describe a number of red wines that do not adhere to the wine laws of Tuscany.

Some Super Tuscans featured on Sabatini's Wine menu such as Solaia, Ornellaia, and Masseto, are based on Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Savignon and Merlot. Others, like Tignanello blend Tuscany's own Sangiovese with these Bordeaux varietals.

The wine tasting was $40.00/person and. Included a glass of champagne along with tasting of the wines mentioned above,

Pairings were with the appropriate food. Though we do not consider ourselves wine connoisseurs, we felt the experience well worth it.

Thanks for posting about the Super Tuscan Wine Tasting :) We plan to try it on our Spring TA.

I ask daily for the potatoes and rice be removed and replaced with broccoli and Asparagus and this is an impossible feat I guess since I never get it. It's very difficult to get anything prepared any special way. I have peanut allergies and informed my wait staff but they still serve me food with peanuts so I have to be vigilant about what is served to me. Be careful if you have any food allergies, it's probably best to order in advance with the head waiter.

As it says on the bottom of every menu, inform the head waiter or Matre d' about any food allergies, not your waitstaff.

And if you are not getting the broccoli and asparagus, speak with the head waiter also, immediately.

Sea Daze from somewhere in the Atlantic...SNIP SNIP

...................................SNIP......................................................

Food last night in the Concerto dining room was so so, I ask daily for the potatoes and rice be removed and replaced with broccoli and Asparagus and this is an impossible feat I guess since I never get it. It's very difficult to get anything prepared any special way. I have peanut allergies and informed my wait staff but they still serve me food with peanuts so I have to be vigilant about what is served to me. Be careful if you have any food allergies, it's probably best to order in advance with the head waiter.

Why have you not been doing that? A seasoned cruiser such as yourself knows this is the way to handle special requests.

Wait staff we had when eating with Amelia on the first half of her trip (12 days) was also bad. However, they did manage to bring us our special steamed vegetables when ordered.

However, they never remembered the horseradish, had to be reminded and once it came, the meat was cold.

She has changed dining rooms for the transatlantic and needs to speak to her head waiter ASAP. When I was on special diets on previous cruises, my head waiter would take the order the night before. With peanut allergies, it can be a deadly consequence for most . Amelia's case is different , but she does get sick and has to be cautious.

OMG>>>> talk about shrinkage.. what the heck did they do to the Mini suite...:eek: and the penthouse suite balcony is a joke... Wow just Wow!!

CC

We had a 500.00 FCC so we splurged on a minisuite this cruise. After reading how much smaller I am glad I haven't had one before now atleast I won't know what I'm missing!!LOL Atleast the artist renderings are pretty true to how they actually look. This OS suite Bob is in really sounds like a bait and switch. If I had seen the image they show online and got to the cabin and it looked noticeably smaller I wouldn't be a very happy cruiser. Maybe the powers that be will see these posts and make some changes asap to what is shown online before they have more unhappy suite passengers.

We discounted the first few reviews of the new Royal Princess cruises and were about to book the Spring TA but after reading the objective analyses of the many experienced cruisers on board this cruise, we are opting for the TA on the Emerald.

Thanks Pia, Bob, Sue, and the rest of you that have posted your observations of the Royal Princess.

Now we are off to the Grand Princess for our 2nd Hawaiian cruise this year.

P&J

OMG>>>> talk about shrinkage.. what the heck did they do to the Mini suite...:eek: and the penthouse suite balcony is a joke... Wow just Wow!!

CC

I was finally able to get the link to open up using the ship's Internet. I see they are actual pictures (owner suite) of what I have. They are at first glance appealing to someone wo hasn't actually been in one. When you are actually in them, you can see first hand just how small they actually are.

Bob

We had a 500.00 FCC so we splurged on a minisuite this cruise. After reading how much smaller I am glad I haven't had one before now atleast I won't know what I'm missing!!LOL Atleast the artist renderings are pretty true to how they actually look. This OS suite Bob is in really sounds like a bait and switch. If I had seen the image they show online and got to the cabin and it looked noticeably smaller I wouldn't be a very happy cruiser. Maybe the powers that be will see these posts and make some changes asap to what is shown online before they have more unhappy suite passengers.

And how.....:):D:)

Bob

Does anyone remember that last year while the ship was still under construction but was booked solid for the transatlantic, they made a big change to the aft cabins. What was suppose to be corner balcony cabins was eliminated and added to create suites in the aft. Maybe that

is whats wrong with Bob's suite.They took two cabins and created the less than desirable suite. He saids it is like two small rooms, maybe those are what the previous two balcony cabins were and were then combined. Really not fair.