Shocked

yorkshire1975

I was shocked to read that in a pole one out of eight people would not admit to booking a cruise. I dont understand that.

I am 38 (not in the cruise over 55 target market), I booked my first cruise in June. I took my mother and husband (against his will). He loved it and we have booked another in October (against the will of our bank account) We have a 5 year cruise plan.......please tell me how to break this addiction.

2 weeks and counting for our second trip!!

From an addicted cruiser.

To all the first time cruisers out there, go on your first cruise, chill out, take it as it comes, learn lots and you will be prepared for your next one...one of many more!!

I must be part of the minority.

We tell everyone the moment we book, hoping to get others to sail with us.

Then we lay low, and watch the days pass away.

And the anticipation builds the closer we get to sailing.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

I think it might have been Royal Caribbean that commissioned a study a few years ago which then showed that fewer then 10% of Americans had ever been on a cruise. Nothing shocking about this at all. What is even more amazing (at least to moi) is that about 60% of Americans do not even have a passport.

Hank

Maybe it might be a chance to form a not for profit charity. CAA. Cruise Addicts Annomous. Of course, none of us would join, however, it would be a good chance to get together and plan the next cruise. Sorta like all of us here in Cruise Critic. :D

Like :D

Maybe it might be a chance to form a not for profit charity. CAA. Cruise Addicts Annomous. Of course, none of us would join, however, it would be a good chance to get together and plan the next cruise. Sorta like all of us here in Cruise Critic. :D

I can see that adapting very well to a 12 step program! :D

To the OP, just go with the addiction. My husband went on our first cruise against his will, said we weren't going to take one every year. I said ok and booked us on 2 this year! Although while discussing the one that is fast approaching, he named off all the reasons we shouldn't book it. I asked him if we should just pass on it and his reply was, "It's a cruise!!" Apparently, I have created a monster now! :eek: Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by Blueboss

I was shocked to read that in a pole one out of eight people would not admit to booking a cruise. I dont understand that.

I am 38 (not in the cruise over 55 target market), I booked my first cruise in June. I took my mother and husband (against his will). He loved it and we have booked another in October (against the will of our bank account) We have a 5 year cruise plan.......please tell me how to break this addiction.

2 weeks and counting for our second trip!!

From an addicted cruiser.

To all the first time cruisers out there, go on your first cruise, chill out, take it as it comes, learn lots and you will be prepared for your next one...one of many more!!

There is no cure! ;) Taking another cruise is a temporary fix--and then you need to book another.

It used to be that 55+ was the target cruise audience, but I don't believe that is the case anymore.

before I retired it became the 'in' thing for all the young guy to brag about NOT using their vacation or taking time off and how they are connected 24/7. they were just absolutely amazed that I would take 2 weeks at a time. we would also usually drive to places like Yellowstone or Key West, etc.. the younger guys were shocked that folks actually drove and didn't fly and stayed longer than a weekend.

I went on my first cruise this September, I haven't even been back two weeks yet. I have to admit, I was very nervous at first (all I could think about was Titanic...i know, ridiculous). But now, I am addicted! I want to go every year! My husband didn't come with us (my parents and I) because he had never traveled and was very nervous. But once I was home and I told him all about it, he was definitely more open and he will be coming with us on our next cruise!

I'm only 36 and I don't care who knows that I love cruising!

* EDIT* Oh btw yorkshire1975...have fun on your next cruise! So jealous!!! :)

Edited by Sookieb

before I retired it became the 'in' thing for all the young guy to brag about NOT using their vacation or taking time off and how they are connected 24/7. they were just absolutely amazed that I would take 2 weeks at a time. we would also usually drive to places like Yellowstone or Key West, etc.. the younger guys were shocked that folks actually drove and didn't fly and stayed longer than a weekend.

I think you're getting to the heart of the matter, most Americans only have 2 weeks of leave a year and rarely take a vacation of more than 1 week at a time do to a culture of work/fear of losing your job.

Edited by Pecs ado rojo

I think you're getting to the heart of the matter, most Americans only have 2 weeks of leave a year and rarely take a vacation of more than 1 week at a time do to a culture of work/fear of losing your job.

yep, the young bucks never take more than a fri or mon off but always put in their 'out of office' email that they ARE available by cellular. I got news for them if they are close enough to being canned because they take vacation they don't have long to live with the company anyways.

That's not an unreasonable fear in today's economy, with lots of applicants and major cutbacks/lay-offs at many companies.......but that's another discussion. If you're only given 2 weeks off and you've got any of that earmarked for an event (Christmas with your family, a friend's wedding out of town, a high school reunion, etc.) then it really doesn't leave any time for longer than a week away at a time.

The real question isn't why people are scared of losing their jobs (because many people are losing jobs, or having their hours and paycheques cut), but why North American business culture is so strident in limiting people to two weeks for most of their working lives.

I've been told that the Japanese actually have a word for "working yourself to death" -- perhaps we should come up with one too. :(

IMHO -- when you're in a job with long hours, and constantly have to be available to your bosses (even at home) -- it's more crucial than ever to be able to take a completely "unplugged" vacation. :cool:

In the UK you are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks paid annual leave, it can be more depending on the company but it can't be less. This also applys to part time workers.

Wow! That's a pretty good amount of vacation time!

I myself get about 1 1/2 weeks vacation....sick pay which is like only 20 hours maybe....some personal and 60 hours of holiday?!? It's kind of dumb I get more holiday pay than actual vacation time that can only be used on an actual holiday.....but the store I work at is always open on every holiday but Christmas!

When I first booked my cruise I didn't want to tell anyone I was going away but that I just was taking a week off. That did not last long because people who knew I was going on a cruise would come into my work and start asking me about the cruise :/ ! Oh well I love cruising!

I think it might have been Royal Caribbean that commissioned a study a few years ago which then showed that fewer then 10% of Americans had ever been on a cruise. Nothing shocking about this at all. What is even more amazing (at least to moi) is that about 60% of Americans do not even have a passport.

Hank

Considering household income levels I don't think it should be surprising that 60% do not have passports. Couple that with our freedom of movement and more economical travel/vacation opportunities within America, I was actually surprised it isn't higher.

I hope this doesn't come across as "snarky" (if that is the right term). I don't intend that.

Where I live it really is odd to find someone who hasn't been on a cruise since the high school does a graduation cruise. My BF has never cruised, we are taking his first on the breeze in Nov. Neither one of us has a passport. We will be purchasing those next year. I love that my job offers me 5 weeks of vacation time. I don't take it at once, but there are several nurses that have taken a month at a time for Vacation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been told that the Japanese actually have a word for "working yourself to death" -- perhaps we should come up with one too. :(

IMHO -- when you're in a job with long hours, and constantly have to be available to your bosses (even at home) -- it's more crucial than ever to be able to take a completely "unplugged" vacation. :cool:

Not only does DH work long hours at the restaurant he manages, but his boss calls him EVERY night between 10:30-11:00 at home, even on his one day off a week. His big concern with our cruise last year was "what if work can't get a hold of me?". It was really good to see him completely relaxed, and not running to answer the phone late at night. I think it was day two when he asked me when we could take our next cruise!

We're going again in April, and instead of worrying, he's looking forward to being "unplugged"!