Cruise out of Rome or Barcelona?

LadyLion_AP

My husband and I are considering taking our first Mediterranean cruise this summer. We've had land vacations to Italy & France but never Spain. Would you recommend cruising out of Rome or Barcelona? We're looking at RCCL Liberty of the Seas. We're also considering bringing our 2 teenage sons. Thanks for your help.

Both fabulous cities; Barcelona is an easier departure because the cruise port is right in town, a 25 euro cab ride max from just about anywhere. Civitavecchia is an hour+ from Rome. Lots of fun things to see and do in BCN.

However, Rome has all that amazing history--if you've been there you know, but if you haven't, or your sons haven't, it would be a great pre-cruise point. I have seen cruises that start in one and end in the other which is a great option, as is Venice as an embarkation point.

Hope this helps!

I love, love, love Barcelona and could easily spend a week there and not run out of stuff to do. Would be a great place to spend some time before or after a cruise. Plus, I think hotels there are slightly less exorbitantly priced than in Rome. Cruise terminal in Barcelona is very easy to get to via public transportation.

We did a med. Cruise this past July with DD and her family including two children, and chose Barcelona as it is so easy. The airport is smaller, and from landing to checking in at our hotel it was only a little more than an hour! No lines at customs either. Then to get to the port it is maybe 15 minute taxi ride, including traffic. It is such a charming, walkable city.

Don't get me wrong, love Rome, but Barcelona is so much easier!

Better still why not fly into Barcelona do a few days there. Then select one of many wonderful itineraries Barcelona to Rome. Then spend a few days in Rome and fly out from there . Alternatively you can do it in reverse .

This is what we are doing in November. Instead of spending the many days on the ship, we will rather spend the time in Europe.

Thanks everyone. I definitely want to spend a day or two before or after the cruise. I need to research a bit more to see if the two itineraries I'm considering start and end in different ports. I just assumed they started & ended at the same port based on my previous 7-day Caribbean cruises.

I love Rome, but if you have spent time there on your land tour of Italy you should take your cruise out of Barcelona. The transfers are easier and cheaper. Two years ago my then 17 year old son said that Barcelona was his favorite city (out of 10 stops) on our cruise. We were there 2.5 days and only wished that we had longer!

Definitely leaning towards Barcelona. Best time to purchase tickets out of the East Coast of the US? The prices are steep right now...About 30% higher than what we've paid in the past!

When are you planning to go? Your OP says 'this summer', which as far as I know/hope is over!!!

My husband and I are considering taking our first Mediterranean cruise this summer. We've had land vacations to Italy & France but never Spain. Would you recommend cruising out of Rome or Barcelona? We're looking at RCCL Liberty of the Seas. We're also considering bringing our 2 teenage sons. Thanks for your help.

I've sailed out of both A LOT and I can say I still prefer sailing out of Rome. Yes, Barcelona is easier once in the city center. But there is no contest on how much there is to do pre and post cruise in Rome. MUCH better than a port day in Rome. There is just so much to see and do in Rome. Of course, airfare could play a factor also. Check that when you are making your decision. But there is no beating having that little bit of extra time in Rome.

Have fun planning!

I'm planning to go next Summer (late June or early July 2014). I'm always thinking ahead in terms of vacations.

I would just keep checking--you've got lots of time. You might try looking at matrix dot itasoftware dot com to see a comparison of available fares. But you will be traveling at peak time, so you probably will be paying on the high end.

I am one who is in the "Rome" group....... while I enjoyed Barcelona (we ended a cruise there and spent some extra time before flying home) I can never, ever get enough of Rome. We have done 3 Med cruises and have our 4th next month......all of them out of Rome with one ending in Barcelona (repositioning cruise) I have a list of items to do next month since there is so much to see and do there you need multiple visits :D

As a side note: we flew home out of the Barcelona airport and it was a zoo ! We waited in line for over 2 hours to check in (they had 1 person to check a whole planeload of people in) It was a good thing our flight was delayed or we would have missed our plane. We were there 3 hours + early and still had to run for our flight :eek:

I'm firmly in the Rome camp. (And yes, I've spent time in Barcelona, not just pre- or post-cruise). Rome has such a wealth of things to do.

And getting to the port really isn't difficult, it's just farther away. There are any number of reliable private transfers available or -- if you pack reasonably -- the train is an easy and very inexpensive way to get to the port.

Barcelona is a city that mixes old with modern. There is fun party street (Las Ramblas) that would appeal to teens and the Gaudi architecture is pretty cool for kids to see. There is also an amazing National Art Gallery and some great day trips just outside the city. If they like to shop there are some trendy shops as well. I think it would be a bit more relaxing as well because there is less travel to get to the port and you can walk to many places if you choose your hotel well or with the help of HOHO bus. If they love history though then Rome would be great.

Barcelona is a city that mixes old with modern. There is fun party street (Las Ramblas) that would appeal to teens and the Gaudi architecture is pretty cool for kids to see. There is also an amazing National Art Gallery and some great day trips just outside the city. If they like to shop there are some trendy shops as well. I think it would be a bit more relaxing as well because there is less travel to get to the port and you can walk to many places if you choose your hotel well or with the help of HOHO bus. If they love history though then Rome would be great.

Thanks. This is why I'm loving CC...so many great resources!

Archived