Self-Debarkation?

Aruba76

I keep hearing a lot about self-debarking the ship and am wondering about the details. I understand you do not put your bags out the night before and take them with you in the morning, but what is the advantage? Are you able to leave the ship on your own without having to go to an assigned area at an assigned time? For those of you that do it, what are your reasons? We are going on our third cruise in 2 weeks and am wondering if we should consider it. I guess an obvious advantage is that your luggage never leaves your sight, which, after reading some of the threads, is a good thing because apparently some luggage gets lost in the process. Is it really worth having to schlep your own bags through the ship? Any insight would be appreciated.

The main advantage is that it gets you off the ship as soon as humanly possible. Since you do it early, there are no meaningful lines to wait for anywhere.

If you have a lot of luggage it's simply not practical, but there are certain ports from which I will never do anything but self-debarkation again. Fort Lauderdale comes to mind.

That's probably the worst time for finding a free elevator. That's the main problem with self-disembarking -- you have to get your luggage down to the disembarkation deck, and everyone else is also trying to get to that deck, complete with their carry-on. You need a lot of space for your suitcases, and elevator after elevator will open, already full of passengers.

If you do not have mobility issues, self debark is very handy if you have early morning flights or just want to move on quickly on the morning of disembarkation. After harrowing lost luggage sagas in Barcelona and Rome I only do the self debark now OR I use the valet program if it is offered on my particular cruise.

There are just too many variables with traditional luggage handling at the various ports for my comfort.

There are many threads about self-disembarking, and also about the Luggage Valet program. Do a search and you'll find them.

Self-disembarking is designed to get you off the ship first. So, 7 - 7:30 would be typical times. But even then, the elevators start to get very crowded. People going to and from breakfast, moving their carry-on, getting to Guest Relations, it's not an easy process.

Here is one thread about Luggage Valet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1919081

Also thinking about self-disembarking. We would do it to avoid having to put bags out the night before.

Question: Can you get off anytime you want with self-dis? ie eat breakfast and get off around 8 or so?

Greetings

No, it is not "Anytime Disembarkation". You will be given a time and place to meet. The time is usually before 7AM. Everyone gathers at the meeting place (it is sometime a little mobish since there are no announcements and everyone is impatient) and you are led off ship as soon as the ship is cleared. You can't wait and just leave whenever you like.

Good Sailing

Tom

In my opinion it's the only way to go. The elevators are much less crowded in the morning for self disembark, the lines are shorter, the people are less and you don't need to wait on the ship with no where to go. We have never had to walk down any stairs. Good luck.

I don't know if this is true of all sailings for self-disembarkation, but we signed up for it once, on our March 2013 sailing from San Juan because we had an early flight. We were told to put our luggage out the night before, & given a meeting place for 7:15am. We were called to leave the ship at 7:20, off the ship by 7:30, & through customs at 8:05. We were fully prepared to lug our luggage down to the disembarkation deck, but instead picked up our luggage from a deserted holding area. it was actually easier than getting off normally, even with priority disembarkation.

I don't know if this is true of all sailings for self-disembarkation, but we signed up for it once, on our March 2013 sailing from San Juan because we had an early flight. We were told to put our luggage out the night before, & given a meeting place for 7:15am. We were called to leave the ship at 7:20, off the ship by 7:30, & through customs at 8:05. We were fully prepared to lug our luggage down to the disembarkation deck, but instead picked up our luggage from a deserted holding area. it was actually easier than getting off normally, even with priority disembarkation.

This is unusual. I did not know there was such a thing as self-disembarkation without bringing your own luggage. It appears to contrast it's very definition. What you got sounds more like priority disembarkation. Interesting. Has anyone else experienced this??

This is unusual. I did not know there was such a thing as self-disembarkation without bringing your own luggage. It appears to contrast it's very definition. What you got sounds more like priority disembarkation. Interesting. Has anyone else experienced this??

I thought the same thing, but we did not sign up for priority disembarkation, so when they told us to put our luggage out, we just did as told, & it was a breeze! Maybe on our next cruise we'll try priority disembarkation & see if it's the same,

The main advantage is that it gets you off the ship as soon as humanly possible. Since you do it early, there are no meaningful lines to wait for anywhere.

If you have a lot of luggage it's simply not practical, but there are certain ports from which I will never do anything but self-debarkation again. Fort Lauderdale comes to mind.

Remember that you have to move all your luggage with no help, possibly down a flight of stairs or two -- not suitable for those with mobility problems, or those with lots of luggage.

We are in our mid 50's and early 60's and prefer self-disembarkation because we do not have to worry about having our luggage out the night before. I do not like trying to figure out what I need to keep with me, and what I don't. :rolleyes: I have the luxury of packing my suitcase after dinner and the shows that last night, and then finishing up early the next morning. :)

We typically have 2 large suitcases and two carry-ons. We have had to carry bags down an escalator, but not stairs (unless my DH gets tired of waiting on an elevator, and then we may walk down a flight or two) to get from customs to the lower level of a building. No problem for us and oh so convenient! ;)

No, it is not "Anytime Disembarkation". You will be given a time and place to meet. The time is usually before 7AM. Everyone gathers at the meeting place (it is sometime a little mobish since there are no announcements and everyone is impatient) and you are led off ship as soon as the ship is cleared. You can't wait and just leave whenever you like.

Can I ask what's to stop you disembarking at a time of your own choosing if you choose self-disembarkation? If you don't turn up at the meeting place will Celebrity staff track you down and ask you to leave? Thanks.

Self-disembarking is designed to get you off the ship first. So, 7 - 7:30 would be typical times. But even then, the elevators start to get very crowded. People going to and from breakfast, moving their carry-on, getting to Guest Relations, it's not an easy process. Mostly it's the elevators that are the problem. You are trying to get on with all your suitcases, other passengers are trying to move around with their carry-on, it's a real bottleneck.

We only do self disembarkation. Have never encountered "self disembarkation luggage night before" scenario. I wouldn't have put it out for fear of it not being available in terminal when getting off. We disembarked in san juan with a very early flight last time and wouldn't have given up control of our luggage.

You can get off anytime. (I think in truth any passenger can get off any time..but luggage wouldn't necessarily be available if went off earlier than called)

Get on ANY available elevator..up or down..

Can I ask what's to stop you disembarking at a time of your own choosing if you choose self-disembarkation? If you don't turn up at the meeting place will Celebrity staff track you down and ask you to leave? Thanks.[/quote

You have other passengers to consider who are trying to get off at the time they were assigned. What if everyone did this....just does not seem right to me.

You have other passengers to consider who are trying to get off at the time they were assigned. What if everyone did this....just does not seem right to me.

I don't see how I would be preventing anyone else getting off by choosing to disembark at a time of my choosing. As to your question "what if everyone did this", on NCL self-disembarkation does mean "anytime" and I have not noticed any more difficulties in the disembarking process on NCL over Celebrity due to this. As always, these things come down to common sense and manners. If everyone shows due consideration to their fellow passengers when moving around the ship with luggage there shouldn't be any problems.

I would agree with Fort Lauderdale!

Other lines systems may be designed to let the self disembarking passengers leave throughout the process, Celebrity's is not. If passengers choose to wait until after the self-disembarking time is over, they do clog the elevators, making it difficult for those whose subsequent numbers are called. If you plan to self disembark, "common sense and manners" would say to do so during the designated time and be out of the way when others are trying to leave the ship

There is no difference in the process between NCL and Celebrity except that NCL self-disembarkers are trusted to manage the process themselves. People here are acting like I am planning to stand on the gangway blocking egress for everyone else. I shall, as I always endeavour to do, be courteous and considerate of others at all times while on the ship including as I disembark.

What you are likely to encounter is that others with only carry-on will be filling the elevators, making it difficult for you to take your bags from your stateroom floor to the gangway area. Once you have stood watching elevator after elevator open, only to see that it is already full, you will know why Celebrity's instructions are for those with luggage to leave the ship ahead of the others. YMMV.

Archived