Generalities about the cruise lines

jbinbi

I have read too many threads but did not see this being answered. However, if I missed it in my search, pls give me a link or re direct.

Planning on cruise to Alaska early/mid june. Will fly to AK, cruise on way, excursions after cruise, drive back to fly home.

Am looking at Princess, HAL, Celebrity, maybe NCL.

Are there any generalities about the cruise lines. We have cruised before in Carib, and generally, Celebrity is a better boat, food, entertainment, etc. than say Carnival. Though you pay more for it. NCL closer to Carnival, Holland closer to Celebrity.

Can the same be said for the Alaska cruises? Is one line better for food, or excursions, or atmosphere, or whatever?

IMO, those cruiseline generalities apply with whatever itinerary you're looking at. Carnival at the bottom end, Norwegian not quite, Holland America and Celebrity at the upper end of the regular lines, and Princess, RCI, etc in the middle. I just got off my first Norwegian - I've sailed all the rest, and this was also my last Norwegian. Sticking with HAL/Celebrity unless something very special comes up on the others, and Carnival and Norwegian are just plain off the list (the food on the Sun ranged from mediocre to inedible).

In Alaska is the cruiseline and food going to be your priority? Excursions are outside the ship and available no matter how you get there, so of no issue.

I completely disagree with the above "rankings". I have been on NCL, Carnival and Princess this year. Had a great time on each one. :) ALL cruiselines have cut back and none, are perfect. I HAVE been on all the mega lines sailing Alaska with the exception of Disney. for some, it may be a matter of an itinerary priority with Alaska. There are some itineraries that may not be of as much interest, depending on the person. Best is to understand the details fully, then you know what you are looking at and comparing.

I am a jaded cruiser, I see a ship as no more than meals, lodging and transportation. I don't care about the ship, but where it can take me, in Alaska. Knowing what priority an individual has can give direction to the best choice for them.

It isn't a simple answer. :)

I agree on a trip to Alaska that the entertainment is not as critical, but accomodations, cleanliness, food, are somewhat important. If I was looking just for transport and a bed, i would look only for cost.

What about the quality of excursions from each of the lines? are they all the same, do they use the same companies or are there differences in what they book? That would be very important to me. thanks for the advice.

I agree with BQ, that ship is certainly not the most important part of the trip. we rarely attended any shows on the Alaska cruise because we are outside so much taking in the scenery and enjoying spotting wildlife. We also rarely book excursions through the cruise line. There are so many great reliable tour companies up there that you generally get a more personal tour (one example: whale watching on a boat with 6-12 people instead of 70-90). In many cases going privately can get you extra time on the water. I do think most of the cruise lines contract the same companies for their excursions, but I'm sure someone can confirm.

Unlike Caribbean cruises - Alaska Cruises have fewer sea days and more SEE days and port days - port times often start early - and the best times for wildlife viewing and whale watching from the ship are in the early morning hours and even during the day there are mountains and other scenery to look at. Plus it stays light much later than most people are used to in the lower states.

I do consider a cruise ship as a floating hotel that take me from place to place - and in AK with a fantastic view. I started cruising with NCL back in 2002 and have stuck with them for four cruises now (three to AK). I am not a real foodie - and have never gone hungry on any cruise. I find that I can get a good meal with good service in the MDRs and also get a wide array of food in the buffets. There has always been a wide range of entertainment in several venues around the ships - I usually take in one or two early shows during the cruise - but I am often in bed early in order to be up early - there is so much to see and do on shore.

As for the tours the cruise lines mostly use the same vendors - there are only a few that can handle the large crowds. Often times the cruise lines operate fleets of busses using local drivers/tour guides - they will take you around to the various attractions. Often times you can find another local tour company that offers the same trip - but with a smaller crowd. For example I use Chilkoot Tours in Skagway to do a Bennett Lake Train Tour - we had a 12 pax van (with 5 people in it) and were put on our own train car for the train portion - again about 12 people in the whole car - the other cars were full of Princess pax. On the way back from Carcross in the van we were able to avoid the big busses and were on and off the bus in a minute or two. Other options include renting a car or jeep and doing a DIY tour. For more info take a look at www.cruiseportinsider.com

I agree on a trip to Alaska that the entertainment is not as critical, but accomodations, cleanliness, food, are somewhat important. If I was looking just for transport and a bed, i would look only for cost.

What about the quality of excursions from each of the lines? are they all the same, do they use the same companies or are there differences in what they book? That would be very important to me. thanks for the advice.

None of the cruise lines, are tour vendors in the ports. They are ALL contracted, just like every other cruise line. The major tour feature- is your port time and itinerary. IF your ship doesn't go "there" then you won't be doing any touring.

I suggest you look at what each port is noted for and what tours are available. Each is VERY different from the others. There are only 6 possible, inside passage Alaska ports.

Your comment above is off the mark, in my case. "Cost" isn't as much my priority,as itinerary is. :) I don't find much difference between the cruise lines. The "differences" that are glaring to me, are what the trends have done over 20 years with all the lines, making a lot of mass market changes. I am just off cruise 83 for me last week with the NCL Breakaway. What a HUGE difference that ship is compared to my first on the Carnivale. :)

We're cruising Alaska for the first time too. After lots of research, we settled on the Radiance. The ship is beautiful with all the glass! And I know we will enjoy the adults only solarium, with the glass roof! The prices are good, and we already know we enjoy RCCL. The Radiance also goes to the ports we want, with good times.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that seems important to some cruisers.

Seeing Glacier Bay (national park) is a 'must do' for first timers to Alaska. Rangers board your ship as you enter the Bay and then narrate your course as the ship moves through the bays and fjiords. It is really an enriching experience.

Celebrity and RCL have, basically, no permits to enter Glacier Bay.

Princess and HAL have the most, with NCL and Carnival having a 'few'.

The other seldom mentioned option are the ferries of the Alaska Marine Highway which, if I was younger, would be on top of my adventure list! :D

Did you look at the REVIEWS forum? Read MEMBER REVIEWS of Alaska cruises to find out what recent travellers say about their ship.

Also look down the page or on the next for the thread called "2013 Alaska Cruise Review List". There are MANY detailed reviews there to read.

But bottom line ... it's all subjective. I took a cruise on RCI and thought the food was very good, even at the buffet, but I read some reviews from my EXACT sailing and some folks said the food was terrible.

The one thing I like about the Holland America cruise ships is their wrap around promenade deck. I also like that they open the bow for scenic sailing days. I was very disappointed on the NCL POA (Hawaii) when they had no bow to open for the passengers. Not sure about their other ships.

The one thing I like about the Holland America cruise ships is their wrap around promenade deck. I also like that they open the bow for scenic sailing days. I was very disappointed on the NCL POA (Hawaii) when they had no bow to open for the passengers. Not sure about their other ships.

The POA does open the foredeck, out of Kauai with a special invitation for Platinum members, which I have done. Out only a short time. This also was the ONLY ship in the NCL fleet who offered it, never in Alaska.

The POA does open the foredeck, out of Kauai with a special invitation for Platinum members, which I have done. Out only a short time. This also was the ONLY ship in the NCL fleet who offered it, never in Alaska.

We saw the bow on the POA, but were told it was for crew use only. I will never gain any kind of special status on any cruiseline, so special privileges will never be an option for me. :( Glad you were able to take advantage of it.

We're cruising Alaska for the first time too. After lots of research, we settled on the Radiance. The ship is beautiful with all the glass! And I know we will enjoy the adults only solarium, with the glass roof! The prices are good, and we already know we enjoy RCCL. The Radiance also goes to the ports we want, with good times.

We changed our minds already. LOL. We really like Celebrity, and decided we want this cruise to be special, so we've switched to the Millenium. I'm sure we would be happy either way, but Celebrity it is, this time! :D

We love Princess voyage of the glaciers for Alaska. They have an on-board Naturalist providing commentary on the critters and regions throughout the cruise. In Juneau they bring Libby Riddles on for her presentation about her Alaska life and Iditerod (hope they are still doing this). After thinking about all the great times we've had on Alaska cruises we just booked our 7/8th (b2b) for next year :D!

In AK, the only things that you should look at is -

1) where they stop - everyone stops at Juneau and Ketchikan but where else do they stop

2) where they scenic cruise - Glacier Bay is the number 1 place for scenic crusing

3) when they get into each port - getting into a port at 1:00 PM is not good; getting in at 8:00 AM is good

4) when they depart each port - leaving a port at 1:00 PM is not good; leaving at 6:00 PM or later is good

5) is the trip one way or return to the starting city - one way is best but you will get a lot of other opinions on this issue

6) if one way, does it depart from Whittier or Seward - Seward is better because the drive to Seward is much prettier and Seward has good places to visit; Whittier is just a port with nothing positive to say about it.

Everything else including which ship or line is not important.

DON

In AK, the only things that you should look at is -

1) ...

Everything else including which ship or line is not important.

Not important to you. The ship is an important part of the decision for me, and obviously for many others here.

Archived