Best way to "no-show"?

az_traveler

We are sailing in 3 days, Yippeee!

We booked 4 of us in our cabin, but now my daughter (20y/o) will not be able to make it. I know I'm out her fare, but because we were assigned a 4K for 4 people, I didn't want to cancel ahead of time for fear of being moved to a different room.

I had decided to just "no-show" her at the check in but after reading some posts, maybe I misunderstood what no-show meant. I've read where some people just check in and say the no-show will board later and then "act shocked" when they don't board. I was planning on telling them at check in she was a no show, but I've read where people say that's an issue with the booking.

I know I'm out her fare, I'd like to get back taxes and tips, but now I'm worried they might try to charge us MORE since the fare price has gone up.

Has anyone had any recent experience with a 4th (or 3rd) person being a no-show and if so how did you handle it?

AZT

Edited by az_traveler

We booked 4 of us in our cabin, but now my daughter (20y/o) will not be able to make it. I know I'm out her fare, but because we were assigned a 4K for 4 people, I didn't want to cancel ahead of time for fear of being moved to a different room.

I had decided to just "no-show" her at the check in but after reading some posts, maybe I misunderstood what no-show meant. I've read where some people just check in and say the no-show will board later and then "act shocked" when they don't board. I was planning on telling them at check in she was a no show, but I've read where people say that's an issue with the booking.

I know I'm out her fare, I'd like to get back taxes and tips, but now I'm worried they might try to charge us MORE since the fare price has gone up.

Has anyone had any recent experience with a 4th (or 3rd) person being a no-show and if so how did you handle it?

AZT

I've never had that issue, but not sure why a no show would matter at that point, they were still paid their fare for that person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

AZT

I have done this before. I just told them when I checked in that the other person wasn't coming. No issues with that. The problem you can have is if you tell Carnival in advance that someone will be a no show. In that scenario, Carnival keeps the fare for the cancelled person, and then will charge the remaining passenger a double fare as a single supplement. So don't tell them in advance. And as you stated, there is a possibility that Carnival could change your cabin if they need it if you tell them in advance.

Sorry to hear that your DD can't make it. Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by winddawn

I have done this before. I just told them when I checked in that the other person wasn't coming. No issues with that. The problem you can have is if you tell Carnival in advance that someone will be a no show. In that scenario, Carnival keeps the fare for the cancelled person, and then will charge the remaining passenger a double fare as a single supplement.

No they don't, but they do charge a $50 change fee. The cancelled persons fare goes toward the single so there is no fare change

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll let them know at check-in and hope for the best. I know about the 2 vs. 1 in a cabin, I think we should be OK dropping a 4th from a 4ppl booking. (fingers crossed) We leave for LB in the am, time to start my vacation. :D

AZT

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll let them know at check-in and hope for the best. I know about the 2 vs. 1 in a cabin, I think we should be OK dropping a 4th from a 4ppl booking. (fingers crossed) We leave for LB in the am, time to start my vacation. :D

AZT

Go and enjoy your cruise vacation.

PS: Welcome to Cruise Critic as I see this is your 4th Post.

Dad got sick right before our cruise (mom stayed with him to card for him) so I ended up a solo. only problem was I was on their SS account so I had to put cash on the card at Guest Services.

Another problem was letting cabin steward know that they didn't have to do so much work. MDR staff were also looking for more people.

I have done this before. I just told them when I checked in that the other person wasn't coming. No issues with that. The problem you can have is if you tell Carnival in advance that someone will be a no show. In that scenario, Carnival keeps the fare for the cancelled person, and then will charge the remaining passenger a double fare as a single supplement. So don't tell them in advance. And as you stated, there is a possibility that Carnival could change your cabin if they need it if you tell them in advance.

Sorry to hear that your DD can't make it. Hope you have a great cruise.

Gosh... If the other cabinmate has already paid in full, how can CCL keep their payment AND charge the other person a double supplement???? That should be illegal? Or is it that because they can't expect more in on board expenses?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Gosh... If the other cabinmate has already paid in full, how can CCL keep their payment AND charge the other person a double supplement???? That should be illegal? Or is it that because they can't expect more in on board expenses?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

If a person calls before the sailing date and time to cancel, then Carnival will not refund that person's fare because there is a 100% (forfeiture of cruise fare)penalty. But, because the person cancelled, the remaining person in the cabin is now considered to be cruising solo (cabin prices are based on double occupancy), and the cruise line will want them to pay the single supplement. Sounds (is) unfair, I know. But, since the person who cannot go is going to lose their fare anyway, they might as well just be a no show on the day of departure. It makes it easier and cheaper for the remaining person in the cabin (I am speaking of cabins where only 2 persons are booked). In cases where 3 or 4 persons are booked into one cabin, the fare for guests 1 and 2 are the same even if guest 3 (and/or guest 4) cancels. It is only the 3rd and 4th guests who get the discount. One caveat though, is if the guest who is a no-show has trip insurance that requires him/her to cancel their booking in order to file a claim.

• 3 weeks later...
OP is not cruising solo - they book a quad - daughter can't go - so now there are 3 in a quad cabin - correct? Shouldn't be a problem with getting just tax and port back for the cancelled daughter and no additional fee's should be charged.

That was correct. My DD didn't go. Just an update:

No issues at early check-in or at any point during the cruise. We just told the check-in folks she wasn't coming. Wasn't a problem at all.

We did let customer service know on the ship and they said it'd take 3 days for the credit of the taxes/tips to show up on my card.

We got back on the 13th and I think i got a letter from Carnival on the 15th saying that the term fee for my daughter was 100% of the fare but that taxes/tips would be refunded in 10-14 business days. The refund showed up on my card on the 21st.

AZT

That was correct. My DD didn't go. Just an update:

No issues at early check-in or at any point during the cruise. We just told the check-in folks she wasn't coming. Wasn't a problem at all.

We did let customer service know on the ship and they said it'd take 3 days for the credit of the taxes/tips to show up on my card.

We got back on the 13th and I think i got a letter from Carnival on the 15th saying that the term fee for my daughter was 100% of the fare but that taxes/tips would be refunded in 10-14 business days. The refund showed up on my card on the 21st.

AZT

Thanks for coming back with the facts and the update...sometimes those are hard to get.

If a person calls before the sailing date and time to cancel, then Carnival will not refund that person's fare because there is a 100% (forfeiture of cruise fare)penalty. But, because the person cancelled, the remaining person in the cabin is now considered to be cruising solo (cabin prices are based on double occupancy), and the cruise line will want them to pay the single supplement. Sounds (is) unfair, I know. But, since the person who cannot go is going to lose their fare anyway, they might as well just be a no show on the day of departure. It makes it easier and cheaper for the remaining person in the cabin (I am speaking of cabins where only 2 persons are booked). In cases where 3 or 4 persons are booked into one cabin, the fare for guests 1 and 2 are the same even if guest 3 (and/or guest 4) cancels. It is only the 3rd and 4th guests who get the discount. One caveat though, is if the guest who is a no-show has trip insurance that requires him/her to cancel their booking in order to file a claim.
not true. You don't know how it works

I wouldn't say anything before or after you board. She's simply a no show at no fault of anyone's. Just act shocked and surprised that she didn't show up. Her fare is paid and don't leave the tip, only leave the tip for the 3 of you. Have a good time and don't worry about anything!

not true. You don't know how it works

Actually, you are the one who doesn't know how it works.

If only 2 people are booked in a room anytime during 100% penality period, and one person cancels, that person's entire fare is lost and the one person still going would be charged a 100% single supplement.

The cancelling persons already paid fare will not cover the single supplement.

Actually, you are the one who doesn't know how it works.

If only 2 people are booked in a room anytime during 100% penality period, and one person cancels, that person's entire fare is lost and the one person still going would be charged a 100% single supplement.

The cancelling persons already paid fare will not cover the single supplement.

Uhhh - I had this happen (not on Carnival, though). Did not pay any additional "single supplement." Was refunded the port taxes and fees for the cancelling party (I had paid for all of it).

Uhhh - I had this happen (not on Carnival, though). Did not pay any additional "single supplement." Was refunded the port taxes and fees for the cancelling party (I had paid for all of it).

Uhhh, so your experience has no bearings on this thread then - right?

On CARNIVAL it is just as I (as well as another poster) have said.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Dad got sick right before our cruise (mom stayed with him to card for him) so I ended up a solo. only problem was I was on their SS account so I had to put cash on the card at Guest Services.

Another problem was letting cabin steward know that they didn't have to do so much work. MDR staff were also looking for more people.

Did you let them know at check in or after you boarded I just don't know whether to say nothing or tell them at check in