Vaccine for Noro being tested

purduemom1

This morning (10/7) Fox News reported that there is a vaccine that is being tested covering 2 types of Noro. They mentioned that one of the strains is the most common one affecting cruise ships. No word as to when it will be available. In the meantime, all those worried about catching it on your cruise, the dollar store sells a package of 100 clear plastic gloves that might work for the buffet, etc.

This morning (10/7) Fox News reported that there is a vaccine that is being tested covering 2 types of Noro. They mentioned that one of the strains is the most common one affecting cruise ships. No word as to when it will be available. In the meantime, all those worried about catching it on your cruise, the dollar store sells a package of 100 clear plastic gloves that might work for the buffet, etc.

That is a very good idea.

If I wear those gloves I won't have to use the tongs or spoons?

I won't have to use the hand sanitizer when entering?

But the biggest question is where are those gloves when I enter the dining area?

And how do I put them on without contaminating them? :confused:

.:D

But if someone has contaminated the buffet items, washing your hands doesn't keep the germs out of your stomach.

Alcohol based sanitizers don't do it for Noro. It needs to be a chlorine based sanitizer to kill Noro.

Get these- http://www.sears.com/clorox-germicidal-wipes-6-3-4-x-9-white/p-SP102A17970S6294936309?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I don't think these are good reasons not to take the precautions the ship recommends. I use the sanitizer if I have not just properly washed my hands, although I prefer the hand washing. The reason I prefer to wash my hands with soap and hot water is that it is not only at least as effective, from what I've read, but if I use the sanitizer too much on a long cruise my hands start to get a bad rash.

I've read many times on these boards that some believe the hand sanitizer is not effective against noro. But I also know the cruise lines have done, and/or had a lot of access to, research on noro prevention. So I believe that they've done enough to be convinced that the sanitizer helps since they use it, push its use and bear the cost of it.

I saw it on Fox News yesterday morning Oct 7, 2013. Perhaps it was an update as it is still in the testing stage.

Or perhaps it's moved to another phase of trials...

I did not see it on Fox, but there's a VERY good reason for that! ;)

Tom

I don't think these are good reasons not to take the precautions the ship recommends. I use the sanitizer if I have not just properly washed my hands, although I prefer the hand washing. The reason I prefer to wash my hands with soap and hot water is that it is not only at least as effective, from what I've read, but if I use the sanitizer too much on a long cruise my hands start to get a bad rash.

I've read many times on these boards that some believe the hand sanitizer is not effective against noro. But I also know the cruise lines have done, and/or had a lot of access to, research on noro prevention. So I believe that they've done enough to be convinced that the sanitizer helps since they use it, push its use and bear the cost of it.

Having been out of the hospitality industry and not having maintained a sanitation certification in a number of years I went and read up.

Present guidance is gel based hand sanitizers containing glycerin are considered ineffective for Noro and most other sanitizers are considered 99+% effective against Noro. They haven't discovered why glycerin has this effect yet.

Looks like the story about the vaccine being tested was around last year. LINK

Tom

I found reports of vaccine trials going back to 2011 . . . Perhaps the recent hoohah from the Summit got them digging into the morgue. I suspect that if that cable station had anything that was news about the trials there would have been more hits to the search I did.

Having been out of the hospitality industry and not having maintained a sanitation certification in a number of years I went and read up.

Present guidance is gel based hand sanitizers containing glycerin are considered ineffective for Noro and most other sanitizers are considered 99+% effective against Noro. They haven't discovered why glycerin has this effect yet.

I think i read that the glycerin "protects" the virus from being killed by the alcohol. Not sure if that is theory or fact.

If you think alcohol based gels are bad for your skin the Clorox wipes Pecs was talking about are worse and you should wash your hands after using. Those wipes are for non-porous surfaces and topical use only. We use them in our medical office. I did find a cleanser in Europe effective against Noro but not for sale here. Couldn't find the website again. May no longer be available.

Archived