Cruising?

crazyme5kids

Hi! I am new to Cruise Critic, although have been reading on the forum for a while now. I am trying to decide if cruising would be something that my husband and I would like to do.

If you were on the fence about taking a first time cruise, what made you decide to take the plunge? How many days was your first cruise, and did you feel like the amount of days was enough for your first time?

I have to leave now for a class, but am looking forward to seeing replies later tonight.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I had been on boats (not cruise ships -- there is a difference) since I was a small child. It took me a few years to convince DH to take a cruise. We had been all over the world -- sometimes living out one suite case each for 3 weeks traveling by plane, train, bus, car.

Once I got him on the ship -- and everything was unpacked -- he was sold.

First cruise was a back-to-back cruise -- 14 days. Wished we could have stayed on longer.

I would suggest 7 nights. They are very common with many itineraries and ship choices. Also long enough to fully enjoy the cruise but short enough in case it is not your cup of tea. The shorter 3 - 4 night cruises have a reputation of being booze cruises and IMO don't offer enough time to truly enjoy the ship and cruise experience. The 5 night cruises are also just a little too short IMO.

We took our first 7-night cruise in 1992 and have never looked back.

Guest fyree39

I always wanted to try cruising. My husband-at-the-time finally agreed to book a cruise, a 3-day party boat out of Long Beach. I had a blast and wanted to stay aboard rather than getting kicked off on that Monday. My new husband took me on a 7-day cruise for our honeymoon and, fortunately for me, has enjoyed cruising a couple times per year. I would highly recommend a 7-day cruise to get the true flavor of cruising. Anything less is cheating!

Hi! I am new to Cruise Critic, although have been reading on the forum for a while now. I am trying to decide if cruising would be something that my husband and I would like to do.

If you were on the fence about taking a first time cruise, what made you decide to take the plunge? How many days was your first cruise, and did you feel like the amount of days was enough for your first time?

I have to leave now for a class, but am looking forward to seeing replies later tonight.

Our first cruise was a 15 night Panama Canal. I think, for us, it was a perfect first cruise. However, I would probably recommend a 5 or, possibly, a 7 night cruise for a first time cruiser.

I've always thought I'd like to cruise, so the long one was great. But, for anyone not real sure I'd start with something shorter, and one that's fairly even in port days vs. sea days. And I don't think 3 or 4 night cruises give you a real feel for what cruising is/can be.

I took my first cruise about forty years ago.....and it was a short 4 day NCL Caribbean Cruise. I can remember wanting to take that cruise because it was just something we had never tried, and there was some influence from the Love Boat television show. Since that time we have spent more then 3 years on cruise ships, cruised to 6 continents, more then 80 countries, 14 cruise lines and over 65 different vessels. So I guess you can guess that we enjoy the cruising life style. Is it the perfect way to travel? Nope. But its a darn good option.

Hank

I would also suggest at least a 7 night cruise. Stay away from the short 3 or 4 night cruises, which from the reports I have heard and read, seem to be more "party" cruises or cruises for people who can only afford the shorter cruises and are looking for a cheap getaway and sometimes act accordingly. I know three couples who tried one of these short cruises, and all have said they are done with cruising. They were not impressed with the experience.

On the other hand, our first cruise was a 7 night cruise with Disney with friends who we almost always cruise with now who themselves started with a 7 night on Princess a year earlier. Other friends started with 7 night cruises on Celebrity, while another couple started with a 10 night on HAL. It was hearing about the great times these friends were having that got us interested. All of us continue to cruise regularly.

My wife and I cruise every 18 months or so. Since that first 7 night cruise we have been on several 12 to 16 night cruises somewhere far away from home, which always require international travel. Because of the expense and time travelling to departure ports in foreign countries, we look for the longer cruises to maximize our trips, always staying several extra days to sight see on our own, often before and after the cruise.

Cruising is a wonderful way to travel. I was introduced to it as a boy taking family vacations aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2 and always cherished those memories.

My wife and I have cruised the Caribbean and Mediterranean, Canada/New England with several different cruise lines and have adored each new adventure. Exotic ports of call materialize every few days, you will meet some wonderful people, there is plenty aboard to keep you busy.

Book a 7 or 10-day trip from your closest home port, do some research into the cruise line that will best suit your taste and style and have an adventure of your own. You unpack once and as soon as your up the gangway you're on vacation.

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies. I love the idea of a cruise, and feel it would be a great way for us to travel. My husband on the other hand is not so sure. He does love to go sailing, but hates to be out of sight from land, which I find ironic since he flies to South America for work on a regular basis. How is being above the ocean versus being on it all that different:rolleyes:?

He travels a lot for his job, so his idea of a vacation is different than mine. A cruise would give him the downtime that he loves, and the sightseeing that I love. So to me it is a win/win vacation. I just need to convince him.

Ours was a TA but I would not recommend it for the first time. We love sea days and our next cruise has 18 of them for that very reason but many on here will say they don't like them and although I don't understand it, find them boring.

My recommendation for all who have asked me is always a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. For the fol reasons:

1. normally port intensive with no more than 2 days at sea at a time. lets you see places you haven't been to and gives you a taste of sea days.

2. the most options available for both cruise lines and itinerary

3. relativly cheap by cruise standards. You can go very expensive but you don't have to

4. getting to/from your home to the port is about as cheap as you are going to find from anywhere in North America. Not like flying to someplace like Sydney Au for a cruise only to find out cruising isn't for you

5. 7 days because I feel a 3 day barely lets you unpack and your packing again. in the same light even if you find cruising isn't for you it's only a week.

6. as a general comment you are likely to find calm seas and great sailing conditions. Yes there are occasional storms that can cause disruptions to your schedule but for the most part the Caribbean is as good a sailing as you will find

We took to cruising like fish to water years ago. Because we also do other family vacations with our children and grand children we typically cruise once a year now but for extended periods of time. The next one is 31 days.

Give it a try and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. As you will read on here far more people get hooked on this type of vacation than not.

I don't remember exactly what made me decide to take the plunge. It was a combination of things, probably. Having heard good things from a lot of different people over the years, especially my parents who had been to Alaska and Europe on cruises. I must have seen an advertisement on the internet for a cruise from New Orleans, which was convenient for us as we have friends there, and the price was right.

That first cruise was a 5 nighter, I believe. That was about right to decide if you like it, and are prone to sea sickness. I don't recall it being a booze cruise, or a party cruise, but it was in early November and I guess the kids were in school.

Since then, we have been on 3 more and I'd like to be able to go on one every year. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Now, I would not bother with booking anything less than 7 nights. Just not worth the packing, travel and unpacking for less time in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies. I love the idea of a cruise, and feel it would be a great way for us to travel. My husband on the other hand is not so sure. He does love to go sailing, but hates to be out of sight from land, which I find ironic since he flies to South America for work on a regular basis. How is being above the ocean versus being on it all that different:rolleyes:?

He travels a lot for his job, so his idea of a vacation is different than mine. A cruise would give him the downtime that he loves, and the sightseeing that I love. So to me it is a win/win vacation. I just need to convince him.

You have the right idea about cruising. I like cruising because it allows me to do what I like to do and my travel buddies (my kids) to do what they like to do. On a cruise you can certainly be as active or as relaxed as you like.

A cruise ship is not a sailboat. They are different. A cruise ship is a resort hotel that floats and moves. There are hundreds of crew who are responsible for the ship, navigating it and making sure it is seaworthy. There are hundreds more who are looking after the passengers, feeding and entertaining them. A cruise ship has the best of a sailboat -being on the water- without any of the worries.

Another vote for a 7 night cruise.

My first was an 8 night with 3 ports. I was so worried about being bored with so many sea days. DH and I loved the ship much more than the ports.

If you want a veg-out vacation or a very active one, cruises can be a lot of fun.

Archived