6 year old boy drowns on Carnival ship.,

Velvet Teddy Bear

When my son was around 3 or 4 he was playing in a lake and I was only a few steps away on the beach. He had the plastic swimmers on his arms and was having a great time. I glanced away for just a moment and when I looked back his head was in the water and he was motionless. I waited a moment to see if he was just looking underwater (he did that sometimes). When he did not come up I ran the few feet into the water and brought him up gasping. It was so fast it was shocking.

No one knows what happened in the pool - it can happen in less than a minute. It was a tragedy for everyone on that pool deck that day.

It's completely normal for parents to blame the parents in tragedies like this. It's wrong, but it's almost mental self-preservation. If the parents were neglectful, and the child died, then my child is not at risk of accidental death, because I am not neglectful. It's totally not true, of course, but it makes parents feel better.

My prayers and thoughts are with that family - this could happen to anyone.

critiquecruiser - Thank you for the article. Very informative.

I wish the mods would lock the thread on the Carnival forum already. It's well past the piling on point.

Agree that the Carnival thread should be closed. I think that people forget that the family of the child or friends might be members of CC and reading all this negativity would be heartbreaking.

One would think that such a tragedy would bring out the good in people and mostly it does, but then there are those who cannot resist the opportunity to ignite such a painful topic.

as stated in the news report. .

Do you believe and trust everything you hear on the news??

We do NOT have all the details, but I did see this on the CCL boards and it seems a bit more legit.

As per a medic on board. Not proven as of yet, but it is thought the little boy suffered some kind of seizure either chronic or maybe by head injury ...ie a fall by slipping.

This happened very quickly and family was right there playing with the children. It was a matter of seconds and not minutes . Two children ( brothers ) were playing in pool and the next minute the child was underwater ....

Please until all information comes out ....don't pass judgement . This child was not running loose , he was with family .

His father screamed for his child not to leave . His mother cried loudly . This was a true tragedy and not about the blame game . NO reason to call someone a murderer or point fingers at them as negligent ....

This was a much loved child. This was someone's child , brother , grandchild ....

First, I want to apologize if my first reply on this thread sounded harsh. Full disclosure: A few years ago a child very close to me drowned, as a result of the irresponsibility and inattentiveness of her parents. There was a party outdoors, with an in-ground pool, they allowed this toddler to wander freely while they drank and laughed with everyone. Apparently no one ever heard the splash, and no one knows how long she was in the pool before someone turned around and spotted her. She was only three years old. My own heartbreak made a judgement when I read about the child on the ship. I apologize.

Second, I want to thank CruiseCritiquer for posting that article. Extremely enlightening, and very helpful. Kudos to you for sharing that information.

Lastly, I want to thank Halos for sharing what was posted elsewhere. It certainly does help to bring a much clearer picture of the event.

My prayers remain with the parents and all who witnessed this terrible tragedy.

:( Personally, I don't think children under the age of 12 or 13 should even be allowed on a cruise ship. I know this is a strong opinion, but FAR TOO MANY THINGS can go wrong and not nearly enough eyes to help prevent it from happening. I took my teenage girls several years ago, and I stayed worried about my 13 year old! I can't imagine trying to keep track of a young one with so many available pitfalls.

:( Personally, I don't think children under the age of 12 or 13 should even be allowed on a cruise ship. I know this is a strong opinion, but FAR TOO MANY THINGS can go wrong and not nearly enough eyes to help prevent it from happening. I took my teenage girls several years ago, and I stayed worried about my 13 year old! I can't imagine trying to keep track of a young one with so many available pitfalls.

Sorry you feel this way but you accepted the job of being a parent and all the responsibility and worries that come with it once you became a parent. I would not think of traveling with put my kids yes it is not as relaxing as a no kid vacation but the every day that passes when you have kids is a day and memories that you will not get back.

Sorry you feel this way but you accepted the job of being a parent and all the responsibility and worries that come with it once you became a parent. I would not think of traveling with put my kids yes it is not as relaxing as a no kid vacation but the every day that passes when you have kids is a day and memories that you will not get back.

Dear mr Roberts...there is no need to be condescending and rude. Yes, I accepted the parenting responsibility and they are all grown and beautiful, healthy and safe. The oldest a solider and student at West Point. I never took them on cruises when they were little because it felt unsafe. Instead we took other vacations that felt more comfortable for a single mama with 3 little girls. Again, no need for u to be so condescending. I only voiced my opinion without being rude to others. Have a good evening.

First, I want to apologize if my first reply on this thread sounded harsh. Full disclosure: A few years ago a child very close to me drowned, as a result of the irresponsibility and inattentiveness of her parents. There was a party outdoors, with an in-ground pool, they allowed this toddler to wander freely while they drank and laughed with everyone. Apparently no one ever heard the splash, and no one knows how long she was in the pool before someone turned around and spotted her. She was only three years old. My own heartbreak made a judgement when I read about the child on the ship. I apologize.

Second, I want to thank CruiseCritiquer for posting that article. Extremely enlightening, and very helpful. Kudos to you for sharing that information.

Lastly, I want to thank Halos for sharing what was posted elsewhere. It certainly does help to bring a much clearer picture of the event.

My prayers remain with the parents and all who witnessed this terrible tragedy.

It's kind of you to come back and explain your thought process and offer that apology. It's natural for us to be defensive one way or the other and also to assign blame because it's in our nature to think if something bad happened then someone is the cause of it. Given your experiences I can certainly understand your knee-jerk reaction.

Emotions are running high right now and I would guess that there are more people who after calming down will regret some things they've said but out of stubbornness won't admit it as you have. That says a lot about the kind of person you are. :) I'm not saying that the parents are or aren't to blame. I'm just saying blaming them will not change anything. IF it is their fault, no one can punish them more than they are being punished right now. IF it is not their fault, like parents do when losing a child, they will find all kinds of reasons to blame themselves anyway so they don't need everyone else to do it. They are in my prayers and I don't mean that in passing. I mean I will specifically pray for them to find some kind of way to move forward and recover from this very tragic loss. Like one poster says, it makes you want to grab your own child and hold on and never let go.

The Associated Press article doesn't say that at all. The article states that he was in the pool with his 10 year old brother and was "at the pool area with other family members."

While the ultimate responsibility is with the parents, it's not fair to jump to conclusions or misrepresent what the article says, purposefully or otherwise.

Amen. Those of us with kids have been there, done that. Prayers to the family and hug yours tonight.

PS: I did not take the OP's post harshly.

Amen. Those of us with kids have been there, done that. Prayers to the family and hug yours tonight.

PS: I did not take the OP's post harshly.

None of these posts are harsh, especially compared to some on the CCL boards. Some of the posts are the most unempathetic, unfeeling and cruel things I have ever read.

My sympathy to the family of this poor child, especially to his brother who will feel guilt about this although it was not his fault.

I do think that there should be lifeguards around the large pools on cruise ships. There are just too many people in and around the pool and many are drinking. The scene can be chaotic.

None of us know the detailed circumstances of this tragedy, so shouldn't assume anything.

But those who have children or any family members in a pool may want to take it as a cautionary tale. It is easy to forget that a ship is not a bubble of safety and that accidents can and do happen, so caution should prevail. It's not wrong to point that out and realize what can happen.

Dear mr Roberts...there is no need to be condescending and rude. Yes, I accepted the parenting responsibility and they are all grown and beautiful, healthy and safe. The oldest a solider and student at West Point. I never took them on cruises when they were little because it felt unsafe. Instead we took other vacations that felt more comfortable for a single mama with 3 little girls. Again, no need for u to be so condescending. I only voiced my opinion without being rude to others. Have a good evening.

I'm rude ? You suggest no one under age 13 EVEN ALOWED on a ship not that you feel it is unsafe but flat out not ALOWED and I'm rude huh nice.

I think the reason people keep blaming the parents is because we go on cruises and see so many unsupervised kids. Kids splashing in the hot tubs, running down the halls screaming, pushing all the buttons in the elevators, climbing on railings and throwing things overboard, etc. with no parents to be seen. Many parents tend to think it is a vacation away from their kids too. Hoping this will make other parents supervise their kids a little closer.

I feel bad for the family and all the people who had to witness this.

With a 10 and 7 year old kids. ..I can't even imagine what the patents are going thru.

I will keep even a closer eye on my kids on the next cruise.

Side note. ..while i don't blame the parents fir thus tragic accident, I hope this is a wake up call for some parents to keep a better eye on their kids. The last cruise I was on, kids were doing running flips into the pool. .. not only endangering themselves but a couple close calls of jumping on to smaller kids, while their parents were sipping on their frozen drinks enjoying the sun. We all have some responsibilities to keep everyone safe. ..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I just returned home from work (I work in the emergency room and see the worse of the worse since we are a trauma center) and it just breaks my heart to see any family have to experience something like this, let alone a small child. No matter what the circumstance, no parent should have to go through this. The Carnival board was getting out of hand when I left for work earlier and I was appalled at some of the heartless, pointing fingers, comments. What ever happened, happened and now this poor family with have to live with it for the rest of their lives. My heart is breaking for this family and I hope they find the strength to make it through these rough times ahead. :( My thoughts are with them and all of the other people/families that witnessed this tragedy.

I just returned home from work (I work in the emergency room and see the worse of the worse since we are a trauma center) and it just breaks my heart to see any family have to experience something like this, let alone a small child. No matter what the circumstance, no parent should have to go through this. The Carnival board was getting out of hand when I left for work earlier and I was appalled at some of the heartless, pointing fingers, comments. What ever happened, happened and now this poor family with have to live with it for the rest of their lives. My heart is breaking for this family and I hope they find the strength to make it through these rough times ahead. :( My thoughts are with them and all of the other people/families that witnessed this tragedy.

Amen.

BTW, I also work in the ER of a trauma center....

It's a terrible tragedy for this family, and my heartfelt prayers go out to them during this difficult time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Carnival Legend

Archived