Dress code question about teens & preteens

Mypascalina

I have read the dress code for Royal Caribbean for casual and formal nights in the dining room. What is appropriate for a 14 year old boy and 12 year old girl? On a formal night are dress pants and a collar shirt ok for the boy and dress for the girl? What about on casual nights - can my son wear nice shorts and a golf shirt?

Thank you

I have read the dress code for Royal Caribbean for casual and formal nights in the dining room. What is appropriate for a 14 year old boy and 12 year old girl? On a formal night are dress pants and a collar shirt ok for the boy and dress for the girl? What about on casual nights - can my son wear nice shorts and a golf shirt?

Thank you

Casual nights in MDR - usually not shorts- especially not on a 14 year old boy. My boys wore Khakis and a polo shirt (short sleeve) or a short sleeve fitted shirt _ nice without a collar. One the first night they wore Jeans this summer with polos - but that was because we had 6pm dinner and left Amsterdam fairly late. But all other "casual" nights it was khakis or dress pants (both on RCI 2 years ago and Celebrity" this summer. Shorts were not allowed. For your daughter a sun dress or capris are fine/ My boys are now 16,16, & 20 our last 2 cruises have been summer in the Eastern Med (2 years ago) and the Baltics (this summer). We are doing a Caribbean Cruise this XMAS and with the exception that it is over Christmas I think it will be a bit ore casual but no shorts allowed for dinner and usually no jeans in the MDR.

Sharon

You will get varying answers on this because many people say "It's your vacation, wear what you want.", however, the official suggested dress code is NO SHORTS in the Dining Room at dinner. There is a sign at the front door indicating this, and it is printed in the Cruise Compass newsletter.

A collared shirt and casual pants would be fine for your boy. It looks like you may be going to the Caribbean and personally, we don't take jeans on Caribbean cruises as they are too hot, but my husband loves pants in lighter fabrics. I'm sure he has something he can wear. :) Your girl can wear a casual dress or capris and a nice top, if she wants.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree you are going to get answers all over the place.

I'll just share my thought.

For formal night try to see if you can dress the boy in something more dressy. Then take photos that night of all of you. They will be previous and will provide memories for the rest of your lifetime and theirs.

Keith

My thoughts:

At 14 years old (and 10 for that matter), your kids should be in formal wear. For your son, that means dress pants, button down shirt, and a tie. I'll go with jacket optional. For your daughter, a nice dress should be fine. For the other nights, a pair of khaki pants should be fine.

You might be surprised to find the teens like to dress on formal night and they new friends all look so nicein their 'dressy' clothes. There are so few times when you can see teens out of their jeans, it's a great chance for some wonderful family photos. :)

Have fun.

there is no age limit for the dress code.

everyone needs to abide by the code.. which normally includes the NO SHORTS AT DINNER mantra.

interestingly enough, 2 cruises ago we sat near a large( 8-10) table which was about half teens and half adults.

on formal nights, the teen boys all had on nice dress shirts with ties( no jackets) and the girls had on dresses. the adult females had on nice slacks or skirts/dresses but the adult males had on polos and jeans. one even wore his ball cap inside, but that is another story for another dress code thread.

You might be surprised to find the teens like to dress on formal night and they new friends all look so nicein their 'dressy' clothes. There are so few times when you can see teens out of their jeans, it's a great chance for some wonderful family photos. :)

Have fun.

I agree with 7seas, our kids (now adults) wore formal clothes and never complained that I can remember. In fact they grew up dressing up for dinner on all our vacations, not just cruises. Now as adults, they do it naturally. If you can afford it, I would even suggest a tux for the boy, I'm pretty sure he will enjoy the experience.

Burt

Same with us. Our kids have always enjoyed dressing up and now their kids. I took my niece on a cruise and she was so excited to be able to wear her prom dresses. My nephew that we took wore his tux "with tails" that he wore during band and loved it.

The dress code is not age specific so it includes everyone. That said, it is also a great time to teach your children that there will times in their life that out of respect for the event they will have to dress accordingly (life a wedding or funeral) or just going to work.

Some of our best family pictures is of our family(s) in formal wear looking fabulous.

Although people may wear shorts on non-formal nights, "no shorts" is emphatically stated in the suggested dress code, so it's up to you whether or not you want your son to comply. A pair of khakis with a polo or solid crew neck TShirt is what most boys/teens/men wear.

A teen boy can wear dress pants with a collared shirt with your without a tie on formal night. Although a suit or jacket is suggested, it seems acceptable to go without.

A nice dress is always appropriate for a girl. On non-formal nights, capri pants with a cute top is great.

Archived