Amazed by our first cruise:-)

michelle.mcdonald

My husband an I have just returned from a one week cruise with Royal Caribbean freedom of the seas, it was our honeymoon an we loved every second of it, it exceeded all expectations! So we are now planning another cruise for spring 2014 an we are thinking of doing the Mediterranean but unsure what ship is advisable! Lots of people has said RC freedom is up with the best of them so I'm afraid of being disappointed if we book with another company!

We would really appreciate some advise!

Many thanks

Michelle :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad you had a wonderful first cruise. My husband and I took our first cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary and it, too, was wonderful.

I also see that you have fallen victim to the cruising additiction. :eek: There are no known cures, only symptom relief (booking more cruises!!! :D )

Please write a review of your cruise. Go to member reviews, write a review.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising - it looks like you're hooked!

We took a Mediterranean cruise on HAL this year and loved it - I can't compare it to Royal Caribbean since we've only sailed on HAL (4 times so far) and researching our next one. My advice is to research the ports you want to see, check cruise critic reviews for ships and itineraries, talk to other travellers and book another cruise. I hope whatever cruise line you choose will give you a great experience.

If you are going to be addicted to something, cruising should be it!

Because the Med is so port intensive, I would start by thinking about which ports you want to visit. Most 7-14 day Med cruises concentrate on either the Eastern or Western Med. Once you have decided that, look at the options of ships. You can choose a more American atmosphere (Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc) or European (MSC, Costa, etc.).

Glad your honeymoon/first cruise was such a success. Enjoy planning your next cruise.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising Michelle. Cruising the Mediterranean is absolutely thrilling. You might consider looking into Princess, Celebrity and Holland America all of which feature elegant ships with traditional cruise experience. The newer Celebrity ships are particular beautiful.

Jonathan

Royal has a great loyalty program and if you enjoyed Freedom, honestly, there is no reason not to book with RCI again. You will be a "Gold" member with their Crown and Anchor Society since you have sailed your first cruise with them already and are entitled to perks and benefits, the more you sail with them. You can check it out on the official company website.

We sailed the Med on Brilliance of the Seas and it was phenomenal.

I suggest you contact a local travel agent who specializes in cruises. S/he will help you and be able to recommend a line/ship/itinerary.

Best to you and congratulations on getting married. :)

I agree with Scrapnana. In the Med, you are usually stopped in a port every day, and all of the ports are interesting and worth exploring. Because of this, you return to the ship every evening pretty tired, because you've been walking and exploring all day. This means you spend less time on the ship, and when you are on board you're usually too tired to boogie a lot.

To me this means you shouldn't spend extra to get on a ship with a lot of bells and whistles - you'll probably be too bagged to use many of them. All you need at the end of each day on a Med cruise is a pleasant cabin and a good meal. So choose by the ports you want to see. And enjoy! Cruising in the Med is a great, great pleasure.

We love Royal Caribbean and are finally Diamond Members. One good thing about RCL is that if you book in a Jr. Suite or above you will get double points towards your next level. Which helps you to attain that next level that much faster.

Since you already have one cruise with RCL make sure you sign up for their Crown and Anchor Society. Then you can go to their member's page and look at the benefits that each level has.

OH - Congratulations on your wedding and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sound like you've caught cruise fever!!

As you'll notice from my signature, I've cruised on several different lines. We're just back from our first Carnival cruise and I posted a comparison of different cruise lines here. It might help you eliminate some of your worries about other cruise lines, or at least give you some insight into the differences (or lack of)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931337

Congratulations on your wedding & welcome to cruising! Enroll in C&A & look into the Liberty Of the Seas, Independence & any of the Voyager class ships that have European itineraries if you like that layout. The Radiance class ships are very nicely appointed (no 5th flr promenade) are a little smaller, but are a little more refined, with finer touches & more glass to see outside! Classy! (Think modern nautical w/some classic wooden finishes.)

Keep in mind that Europe is a sightseeing vacation with LOTS of walking & activity. Also, smaller ships will have more accessibility within the ports & Mediterranean waters. Look at itineraries that intrigue you & work backwards.

Stick with RCI or Celebrity & you'll be fine! If you like the late night fun events then RCI is more likely to be a better fit.

Remember, your cruise is what you make of it! Smooth sailing ahead & Enjoy!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and now you are addicted.

The Med is great -- very port intensive. You both need to sit down and decide on what ports you are interested in seeing. Then go to a TA with your list so that he/she can assist you with the itinerary that will meet your requests.

Our first cruise will be next June. Do you have any advice for us?

Anything you wish you had brought with you?

Anything you brought and didn't need?

Anything you learned that you wish you had known?

What surprised you?

Thanks!

Archived