Room for 3 adults

cybersal

We need accommodations for three adults...2 seniors and a disabled 53 yr old son. What kind of cabin should we book? We tried a room with a sleeper sofa but that was not comfortable. I'm sure a suite would accommodate us, but that is too pricey. Anyone have suggestions?

It is probably probably different on the different cruiselines, but I know on Holland America they have cabins where a third bed drops from the ceiling - called a Pullman bed. Would that be acceptable? I know they have these in some of the balcony cabins, possibly in interiors too. Not sure what other cruiselines have. You could probably call and ask each line. They should be willing to help you.

Edited by Daisyloo

We need accommodations for three adults...2 seniors and a disabled 53 yr old son. What kind of cabin should we book? We tried a room with a sleeper sofa but that was not comfortable. I'm sure a suite would accommodate us, but that is too pricey. Anyone have suggestions?

You will need to book a handicapped room. Contact your cruise line and they will be able to help you.

Good Luck!

What cruise line you considering

You really need a good travel agent that is familiar with cruising. Yes, depending on the disability of your son, you may need a handicapped cabin, and many of those do not accommodate more than two passengers. I doubt a cabin with a pullman bunk would be satisfactory, and you will find few suites that offer a second real bed for the third passenger. EM

define 'disabled' if by that you mean needing a WC or ECV, the an HA room is your only option, although it may be hard to find one that fits 3.. many are limited to 2.

if you mean something else, then quite frankly only a suite will be comfortable with adults that age. those pullman beds that fold out form the wall are not necessarily going to be doable physically for anybody.

if you literally want 3 beds and not a sofa , then again, that's the big Family suites, which often have a minimum requirement to book until last minute.

OR: book 2 rooms, possibly a balcony with an inside although the inside will cost double but even so it may less expensive than a larger suite.

Some sofa beds are a pull out couch. Others are similar to a daybed, no folds in the middle. Depends on cruiseline and cabin.

A pullman might be troublesome as it is about five feet above the floor.

Also look on the Disabled Cruising board for more information.

Here is your thread from last year with suggestions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1748437

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have not already done so, please check out the Disabled Cruise Travel forum on this website. Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Different disabilities require different accommodations and the folks posting there may have good advice for your particular situation. I've assisted in making travel plans (though not for a cruise) for someone that uses a Hoyer lift. The lift requires a significant amount of under-bed clearance and many hotels use boxed-in beds for their handicap rooms!

• 3 weeks later...

We have travelled twice in a Large Inside on the HAL Statedam, with one of our mothers (his to Hawaii and mine to Alaska). The third bed was as some described above, either pulling out from the wall or maybe they removed the back cushions, but they only did it once and the "mom's bed" stayed made up the whole time, unlike a bed whose length is perpendicular to the wall that would have to be made back to a sofa each morning in order to move around. Such as are in the balcony rooms on the Norwegian Star, Dawn, and maybe most of their older ships.

The moms slept very well and never said anything bad about the bed. There was quite a bit of room for "having things out" handy as the desk-dresser is on the other side from the daybed/third bed and as long, and there is even a chair, a stool, and a small side table that the third person can have as a nightstand. There is more room or the feeling of more room, if the two main beds are arranged separately instead of together as a "queen bed" leaving only narrow path to each side. Such as seen here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/cruise-vacation-onboard/ships/SA/520XInside.jpg

Also the fee for having the third person was VERY reasonable in 2009! Having looked at the standard cabins' floorplans on NCL (our next cruise, just the two of us), I have just been waiting for the chance to recommend the Statendam (or any sister ships she may have) for a party of three! P.S. I am not a paid hack for Holland America!

c520e52b4755e56e406f766e3588aa26.png

1f18e45d1d2e18733908514d444c3d59.png

8c6d697705f80a87f46b336f5a717085.png

132c04ec73a292f40a8fd493eef0c0af.png

Edited by crystalspin
Image link

I would post this on the cruise line board you are thinking of.

Keiht

My parents and my aunt had a cabin on a RCCL cruise ship that had 3 twin beds. The layout was something like a "U"..with a bed on both sides of the cabin and a bed under the window. I wish I could remember the name of the ship. Maybe someone else has sailed in a similar cabin???