What are the best night to eat in a speciality restaurant.

Magic Man

We plan on eating 4 nights in a speciality restaurant on Oasis. What are the best nights, if possible we don't want to miss the lobster night.

Lobster tail, on the fisherman's platter, is served on the second formal night.

You should eat in specialty restaurants on four nights when your entertainment schedule works best with picking your own dining times.

For a typical 7-day cruise, I like to eat in the MDR on the first night (to meet the waiters and our tablemates), 2nd formal night (lobster) and the last night (to say goodbye, hand out tips).

So it's the other 4 nights where I'll either go to a specialty restaurant or eat in the MDR if the menu looks good.

IMHO I'd rather eat in a speciality restaurant than endure the rubber and plastic 'lobster' dinner that I waited for and was served on Allure on the 2nd formal night. Never again, what a let down. So I'd say eat at an alternative venue and miss lobster night. Worst meal I've ever experienced on RCI. No doubt many will vilify me for this, but hey that's my experience.

8764052711_2c0060e9db_z.jpg

We always do formal nights in the specialties. That way I can leave the formal clothes at home and spare myself the sneers of being underdressed in the MDR. I know you're still supposed to dress formally in the specialties on formal night, but you'll only find a few people dressed formally and nobody seems to care. If they start enforcing the formal dress code in the specialties (which they won't, since they don't even do it in the MDR), I'll start eating in the Windjammer or one of the other casual venues those nights.

The lobster is not worth the cost of having to check another bag full of formal wear which in the past I only wore for the time I was in the MDR, and I'd rather spend the money on the cover charge for the specialties.

I agree the lobster tail and shrimp platter is really no great meal, average at best. I could care less if I missed it.

Here's another vote for not bothering to make "lobster night" a priority. You can get better lobster going to Sam's Club and doing it at home:rolleyes:

Actually I don't think this is correct. If so very few, if any, people observe it based on our experience.

You are absolutely correct. No formal wear is required in any of the Specialty Restaurants on RCCL on formal nights. Resort casual is suggested ....

Actually, you can also do resort casual on formal nights in the MDR as well.

LuLu

~~~~

We plan on eating 4 nights in a speciality restaurant on Oasis. What are the best nights, if possible we don't want to miss the lobster night.

Come to New England and have real fresh cooked lobster, and you will never eat the stuff they serve on a cruise ship again.

It is the difference between a crappy hamburger and a beautifully grilled prime sirloin steak. Both may be made from beef, but there is no comparison.

Come to New England and have real fresh cooked lobster, and you will never eat the stuff they serve on a cruise ship again.

It is the difference between a crappy hamburger and a beautifully grilled prime sirloin steak. Both may be made from beef, but there is no comparison.

Im going to be in Boston next summer - got any suggestions on a nice lobster dinner restaurant?

Actually, you can also do resort casual on formal nights in the MDR as well.

LuLu

LuLu- can men wear nice pants, button down shirt with tie and NO jacket? I enjoy the lobster dinner:)

Absolutely ... and he won't be the only man dressed like that! :)

LuLu

~~~~

You are absolutely correct. No formal wear is required in any of the Specialty Restaurants on RCCL on formal nights. Resort casual is suggested ....

I thought they suggested formal, but so glad I'm wrong. I always had a tiny bit of guilt not going to Chops in a tux on formal night, but no more. My wife was telling me I should at least take a sports jacket next week, but now that's not going to happen.

We usually go to Specialty on casual night, because we think the food is better in the MDR on Formal Nights.

On Rhapsody, we went from a Pre-night with filet at the Edgewater in Seattle to the first night with Chop's filet, and found it a let down. So we schedule the specialty nights a little later in the cruise.

Archived