Logistics of wine policy

can786

The gratuity is only 15%, not 100%. A $7 bottle that gets marked up 200% is $21. Add 15% and the total price comes to $24 which is very much in line with the price of the carried on bottle plus corkage. If you look at the wine list, you will find sufficient bottles in the $22-$25 range, though they are mostly white. The low end reds run $24-$28. So perhaps carrying on low end wines might save $5 per bottle. But it is hard to make the argument that savings in that neighborhood could be material over the length of a cruise.

I missed this earlier. I am certain that the ship pays less than $1 per bottle/can of beer. Even if you assume that the cost to the ship is $1.00, selling that bottle for $3.00 is a 200% markup which is as much as the markup of the wines on the low end of the wine list, and much more than wines on the high end of the wine list, many of which are marked up less than 100%. Are there any beers on board that are marked up less than 100%? The wine list that Largin posted from March, 2013 has plenty of such wines, including Ornellaia listed at $140. Good luck finding it for that price in a store. The most recent vintage is selling for $165+ at retail.

It really depends on the particular wine and where you buy it. There are a lot of much more expensive ones than this but you can get Ornellaia for less than you stated.

2010 Ornellaia, Tenuta dell' Le Serre Nuove $52.99

It really depends on the particular wine and where you buy it. There are a lot of much more expensive ones than this but you can get Ornellaia for less than you stated.

2010 Ornellaia, Tenuta dell' Le Serre Nuove$52.99

I've seen (and ordered) the bottle. It is not the second label, (though perhaps they carry that as well). It is the "real" Ornellaia. At least it was two years ago when I bought my bottle. I brought a 1998 on board and they had the 2006 on the list. We opened mine and bought the other to do a side-by-side tasting with the sommelier joining us at the table.

Those are just the tip of the wine list iceberg. If you do a search, I believe that Largin posted the full current list not too long ago. I have to say that Princess has a nice selection of middle-range wines (that would cost $10-20 in the LA area), so for us it's not worth schlepping more than one bottle each.

Thanks.. that's why I wanted the list.. we have to fly in anyhow so I'll just grab a couple of bottles for the cabin and order the rest..thanks:p

CC

Of course. That is why it makes sense to bring on board higher end wines. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I do it myself, every time. But there is an awful lot of hand wringing over this issue by people who want to bring on board $7 bottles of wine and skirt the fee. If you are going to drink $7 bottles that then become $22 bottles after the fee is applied, it is best to buy them on board.

I wasn't disagreeing, just adding more to your point. Those who have a pallet for higher end wine that can't be bought on board typically don't mind paying the $15.

Burt

Sadly this is why I'm unhappy with the BEER policy. Princess doesn't carry any beer that is acceptable. My wife and I enjoy beer (as well as wine) but we don't drink swill beer and that's all Princess carries. We ought to be able to bring quality beer onboard but Princess has now banned bringing your own beer.

I understand completely. I'm not at all sure why it is that Princess does not recognize the qualitative and regional differences in beers. When passengers travel to a region reknown for its wine, they are allowed to bring back bottles that they cannot get back home. There really is no good reason why the same cannot be done for beer. I suspect that they are afraid that people will bring on case after case of Bud Lite instead of bringing on high quality craft beers that are unique and not available on board. There would have to be some form of "cappage" fee, akin to a corkage fee that would discourage bringing run-of-the-mill beers on board. If you assume that one bottle of wine equals 4 bottles of beer, would you be willing to pay $15 for every 4 bottles above an original free allotment of 4 bottles? If so, perhaps you can start a campaign!

I agree and do not drink the swill beer offered on Princess. I drink better beer from microbrewers in my area mostly but do reach out to others like Stone. It would be great if I could bring on some microbrews. I do drink wines that I like and are not available on the ship. My policy is that if I can't get what I like, then I drink water.

The problem is that while wine is viewed as a small winery product and therefore highly discerning, beer is considered a mass product (AB, Coors, etc) available everywhere. Beer is just now becoming a high quality small production product as seen by the burst of microbrewers in the last decade or so. Beer still has the image of Joe six pack sitting around in his underwear watching TV swilling beer. Wine though is viewed as a higher class drink that is appreciated for its taste, smell, color, etc.

By the same token, they should allow unlimited wine, etc since they don't offer all varieties. The reality of the situation is that Princess makes a lot of money off drinks. And its not so much that keeping fares down is the point, there is so little demand elasticity that Princess needs other revenue sources to make a profit. You could make the case that since they allow one bottle of wine per adult, one six pack of standard size cans or bottles would be fair instead (and I'd agree) but anything more would be potentially detrimental to the bottom line. Thats where Princess is focused.

A good reason why they should allow passengers to bring on their own beer...

Of course. That is why it makes sense to bring on board higher end wines. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I do it myself, every time. But there is an awful lot of hand wringing over this issue by people who want to bring on board $7 bottles of wine and skirt the fee. If you are going to drink $7 bottles that then become $22 bottles after the fee is applied, it is best to buy them on board.

I think I somewhat disagree with you here. I have been on MANY cruises and have purchased their Wine Program. What I have found is that usually the least expensive program has a bottle of wine at about $28/bottle. What I have also found is that many of these bottles are really about $7-8 at retail. So, what this means to me, given your need to have room in your luggage for the extra bottles of wine, is that you are about $6 ahead for each bottle of wine. Now, I am going on a 21-day cruise, with many ports where I could bring on some more wine. If my logic is valid, then I would save about $126 by bringing on the wine. BUT, even given the correctness of my logic and the fact that I spend many thousands of dollars for the cruise, should I really care about $126???:D

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Found this link for any other "winos" out there! :) I guess it is worth bringing a "special" bottle or two along...otherwise I'll just buy what they have onboard.

Happy Sailing.

soooooooooo

according to this list you can get vodka (& other liquors) for your room to mix??

soooooooooo

according to this list you can get vodka (& other liquors) for your room to mix??

Yes. The Bon Voyage liquor is a much more popular conversation on the Carnival forum. Different crowd here. The trend there seems to be less people taking risk smuggling and going this route instead. Those liquors are usually waiting in your cabin upon arrivalarrival.

Ok...just talked to a woman from Princess who was super helpful...but told me that only 1 bottle per person allowed on embarkation. Any extra bottles can be bought in PORT and carried on for the $15 corkage fee. I even clarified the ? and she said...only 1 bottle per adult upon embarkation. I know I have read about people with a 6 bottle carrier at embarkation.

My husband is all about just buying on the ship...which is probably what we will do. I will carry 2 on for the room...just to have on the balcony predinner. Maybe I will splurge and buy 2 $15 bottles. :D

Laura

I know...I have read from multiple people that carried on and paid the corkage fee at embarkation. I am not too picky so I will probably just carry on 2 and buy onboard. But good to know I can buy at ports as well and carry on with the $15 fee...if I want something different.

OH...and another thing she said...there are NO wine packages on cruises less than 10 days. Too bad...because we do drink a bottle with dinner. Oh well.

On this note...how much is an average bottle of wine on Princess? I love my wine...but usually only drink $15 or less bottles of wine...so would it be worth dragging them onboard for $30/bottle (including corkage fee)? Or just pay the price onboard??

Any advice for this "wino" would be appreciated...we drink a bottle with dinner every night.

Cheers!

So, we are going on a three night cruise and just checked the Princess site as to their wine prices. There are a few good California wines, ones we would normally take with us on a cruise, for about $30 a bottle. We always used to travel on Princess because you could bring unlimited amounts of wine, but now limited to 2 bottles only. That's ok for us for a 3 night cruise but would have to think about booking a longer cruise on Princess now. Anyhow, I worked it out to where I think we will be just fine packing in a carry on bag each -- so no checked luggage fee. If I added in what I would pay to buy my own wine, check the bag that had the wine in it, it would come to about $40 - $50 to take my own wine and only $60+15% to buy it onboard. I think I will just save the hassle and buy it onboard -- to only save $20 -- not enough for the additional hassle.

If the luggage fee weren't included (like when we sail out of SF) or if I really wanted to take a special bottle of wine, then it would most definitely be worth it -- otherwise, not so much. :rolleyes:

Ok...just talked to a woman from Princess who was super helpful...but told me that only 1 bottle per person allowed on embarkation. Any extra bottles can be bought in PORT and carried on for the $15 corkage fee.. :D

Calling a rep for Princess re policies is always "interesting". Often not so "helpful". ( Doesn't happen just with Princess by the way. ) Seems reps don't get guidance and instruction on how to answer questions re the real basic but often confusing policies. Just like the cruisers themselves, a customer service rep has many ways to comprehend and/or present the policies. :D

Call back tomorrow and you'll get a different rep and answer.:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a copy of the current wine list ?

CC

After passing through security, I was directed to a table where crew checked my bags and saw the 2 bottles that I was allowed. They let me through without marking my bottles or checking my sea card.

This was aboard the Sapphire 3 weeks ago. I only focused on the reds as that's what I mainly drink. I ended up bringing 2 bottles ($25ea) of a local limited Pinot Noir and paid the $15 corkage at dinner. If I needed more, I would of purchased the Chateauneuf Du Pape at $31. They let me bring onboard 2 bottles when we visited Santa Barbara.

Red Wine.GamayBeaujolais-villages, Seigneurie Arcelot $24.CorvinaAmarone Classico, bolla $66Valpolicella Classico, Bolla $25.Pinot NoirCastle Rock $32Gevrey-Chambertin, Laboure-roi $42La Crema $36Lincourt, Santa Rita Hills $38Robert Mondavi, Private Selection $28.SangioveseBrunello Di Montalcino d.oc.g. Palazzo $49Chianti Classico Riserva $32.MalbecDiseno $34.NebbioloBarbaresco, Stefano Farina $38Barolo, Stefano Farina $45.Super TuscanLuce Della Vita $79Ornellaia, Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia $140.CarmenereCaliterra, Tributo $31.MerlotBenziger, Rose Ranch $34Columbia Crest, Grand Estates $31Ferrari-Carano $40Fetzer $30Franciscan $38Robert Mondavi, Private Selection $27Round Hill $24Santa Carolina Reserve $25Sylvester Kiara Reserve $25.Red Bordeaux BlendsChateau Bel Air $32Mouton-Cadet Baron Philippe de Rothschild $25.Red Rhone BlendsChateauneuf-du-pape $31Cotes-du-Rhone Chateau De Grancey $25.Cabernet SauvignonCasa Lapostolle $29Caymus $85Caymus, Special Selection $155Chateau Ste. Michelle $35Don Maximiano, Founder's Reserve $85Kendall-Jackson, Vintner's Reserve $32Kenwood, jack London Vineyard $48Robert Mondavi, Private Selection $27Robert Mondavi, Reserve $135Santa Carolina, Reserva $25Silverado $58Sylvester $22Sylvester, Kiara Private Reserve $26Wente Southern Hills $25Wolf Blass, Yellow Label $34Woodbridge by Mondavi $24.Red MeritageDuckhorn, paraduxx $79Elements by Artesa $44Franciscan, Magnificat $58The Spur, Murrieta's Well $49Opus one, Mondavi-Rothschild $169.Petite SirahSpellbound $34.ShirazGrant Burge, Benchmark $28Rosemount Diamond Label $31.ZinfandelKenwood Yalupa Old Vine $30Ravenswood, Vintners Blend $28Seghesio $38Sextant $31

After passing through security, I was directed to a table where crew checked my bags and saw the 2 bottles that I was allowed. They let me through without marking my bottles or checking my sea card.

This was aboard the Sapphire 3 weeks ago. I only focused on the reds as that's what I mainly drink. I ended up bringing 2 bottles ($25ea) of a local limited Pinot Noir and paid the $15 corkage at dinner. If I needed more, I would of purchased the Chateauneuf Du Pape at $31. They let me bring onboard 2 bottles when we visited Santa Barbara.

When you say, "they let me bring onboard 2 bottles in Santa Barbara" does that mean you were not charged the $15 per bottle?

Thanks,

:)

Theres a general wine list for all ships, but some ships may have variations depending on itinerary.

Is this the wine list for all Princess cruise ships?

I am super impressed. I looked at the website and thought the small list I saw was it. I just got even more excited for my upcoming trip! Wine has that effect on me, and thanks for the recommendation too.

Laura

WHITE WINE

Chateau ste. Michelle Riesling .. $26

Gutes Domtal Niersteiner .. $24

Piesporter Goldtropfchen.. $27

Bolla Soave.. $25

Fazi-Battaglia Verdicchio.. $27

Fetzer Fume Blanc.. $24

Kenwood Sauvigon Blanc.. $25

Nobilo Sauvigon Blanc.. $32

Pouilly-Fume, Domaine Lebrun.. $30

Sancerre, Michel Redde, “Les Tuilleres”.. $46

Santa Carolina Reserve Sauvigon Blanc..$24

Silverado, Miller Ranch Sauvigon Blanc.. $35

Danzante Pinot Grigio.. $32

Santa Margherita, Valdadige d.o.e. Pinot Grigio.. $41

Chablis, “Les Ecuries” Seigneurie De Tanley.. $32

Laboure-Roi Chablis, Premier Crui.. $46

Laboure-Roi Chassagne Montrachet,.. $59

Kendall-Jackson Vitners Reserve Chardonnay.. $32

Laboure-Roi Vallon d’or Pouilly Fuisse,.. $34

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay.. $27

Rosemount Diamond Label Chardonnay.. $29

Simi Chardonnay.. $32

Sylvester Chardonnay.. $22

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Chardonnay.. $25

Wente Morning Fog Chardonnay.. $25

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge Chardonnay.. $24

Michel Leon Gewurztraminer.. $32

Rex-Goliath Moscato.. $26

Beringer White Zinfandel.. $27

La Roserale Rose D’Anjou.. $29

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge White Zinfandel.. $25

RED WINE

Beaujolais-Villages Seigneurie Arcelot.. $24

Bolla Amarone Classico.. $66

Bolla Valpolicella.. $25

Castle Rock Pinot Noir.. $32

Laboure-Roi Gevrey-Chambertin.. $42

La Crema Pinot Noir.. $36

Lincourt Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir.. $38

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Pinot Noir.. $28

Palazzo Brunello Di Montalcino D.O.C.G. $49

Chianti Classico Reserve.. $32

Diseno Malbec.. $34

Stefano Farina Barbaresco.. $38

Stefano Farina Barolo.. $45

Luce Della Vite.. $79

Tenuta Dell’Ornellaia Ornellia.. $140

Caliterra Tributo.. $31

Benzinger Rose Ranch Melot.. $34

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot.. $31

Ferrari Carano Melot.. $40

Fetzer Melot.. $30

Franciscan Melot.. $38

Robert Modavi Private Selection Merlot.. $27

Round Hill Merlot.. $24

Santa Carolina Reserve Merlot.. $25

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Merlot.. $25

Chateau Bel Air Bordeaux Blend.. $32

Mouton- Cadet Bordeaux Blend.. $25

Chateauneuf-Du-Pape.. $31

Chateau De Grancey Cotes-Du-Rhone.. $25

Casa Lepostolle Cabernet.. $29

Caymus Cabernet.. $85

Caymus Special Selection Cabernet.. $155

Chateau ste. Michelle Cabernet.. $35

Don Maximiano Founders Reserve Cabernet.. $85

Kendal-Jackson Vitners Reserve Cabernet.. $32

Kenwood Jack London Vineyard Cabernet.. $48

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet.. $27

Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet.. $135

Santa Carolina Reserve Cabernet.. $25

Silverado Cabernet.. $58

Sylvester Cabernet.. $22

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Cabernet.. $26

Wente Southern Hills Cabernet.. $25

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet.. $34

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge Cabernet.. $24

Duckhorn Paraduxx.. $79

Elements by Artesa.. $44

Franciscan Magnificant.. $58

Murrieta’s Well “The Spur”.. $49

Opus One.. $169

Spellbound Petite Sarah.. $34

Grant Burge Benchmark Shiraz.. $28

Rosemount Diamond Label Shiraz.. $31

Kenwood Yalupa Old Vine Zinfandel.. $30

Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel.. $28

Seghesio Zinfandel.. $38

Sextant Zinfandel.. $31

CHAMPAGNE/SPARKLING/DESSERT

Veuve Clicquot Brut.. $74

Dom Perignon.. $179

Korbel Brut.. $25

Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante.. $27

Korbel Rose Brut.. $28

Domaine Chandon Brut.. $35

Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc (375ml).. $21

SOMMELIER’S SPECIALS

Shug Merlot.. $58

Frogs Leap Zinfandel.. $30

Selbach Oster Kabinett Riesling.. $26

Clos Du Bois Cabernet.. $42

Duckhorn Melot.. $65

LARGE FORMAT BOTTLES

Beringer Cabernet 1.5 Liter.. $49

Jordan Cabernet 1.5 Liter.. $129

Le Volta Super Tuscan 1.5 Liter.. $79

I enjoy Korbel - nice moderate sparkling wine....I can get it for 9.99 at Total Wine. By the time I add tax and carry it over to the ship, add the corkage fee - it winds up about $2.30 cheaper than just pre-ordering from Princess and having no hassle at all. (Gifts - $27.00 inc grat)

Just an example of pick your battles....................some are just not worth it.

cheers, :D

Archived