Diamond Drinks Trial?

I wasn't complaining. In fact, we rarely have even 3 drinks. We enjoy a drink or two before dinner. We were recently on Celebrity, where we were given vouchers good in most bars. We ended up really liking it. Many nights we didn't even use all our vouchers. We mainly like the opportunity to sit and chat with others. We don't do the coffee or breakfast. I doubt we will make use of a concierge once we are D+--in fact, I don't even know what they would do for us. If they do change the benefits more in line with Celebrity, I hope they give us the same Internet minutes--that is more valuable to me than all the drinks. :D

Why don't they raise the amount of points for the various levels, say 15 or 20 a year for X amount of years & grandfather everyone at the levels that they have attainted.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If that happened every year, only those who can afford to live part time on ships would ever move up a level--it would take away ANY incentive to be loyal to the cruiseline for the typical traveler.

I know we will be diamond after our next cruise. If there are some changes to the program (coupons instead of the lounge) we'll be okay (though, from our one and only cruise when we had access to the CL, a quiet place to sip coffee and cocoa and play cards during the day was a big draw for us, we were looking forward to that and would miss it). If the amount to get to diamond suddenly jumped just as we got to it, we'd be pretty upset. We actually made a point of sailing RCI over the last 3 years because their loyalty program was good and we wanted to build status; take that away and we might as go back to sailing a variety of lines.

If that happened every year, only those who can afford to live part time on ships would ever move up a level--it would take away ANY incentive to be loyal to the cruiseline for the typical traveler.

I know we will be diamond after our next cruise. If there are some changes to the program (coupons instead of the lounge) we'll be okay (though, from our one and only cruise when we had access to the CL, a quiet place to sip coffee and cocoa and play cards during the day was a big draw for us, we were looking forward to that and would miss it). If the amount to get to diamond suddenly jumped just as we got to it, we'd be pretty upset. We actually made a point of sailing RCI over the last 3 years because their loyalty program was good and we wanted to build status; take that away and we might as go back to sailing a variety of lines.

Good point but I think we all know RCI is planing to do something. Things are not going to stay the same forever. I'm sorry to say this but the folks that are almost D or almost D+ will be hurt the most I think.

Good point but I think we all know RCI is planing to do something. Things are not going to stay the same forever. I'm sorry to say this but the folks that are almost D or almost D+ will be hurt the most I think.

I agree it looks like a change is coming and I agree it will impact Diamond and diamond plus the most--I simply do not think it would be smart marketing at all to restructure the loyalty program in such a way that loyal cruisers were take 1-3 non suite cruises a year can never move up--those are still cruisers who provide a fair chunk of money to the line and it would be stupid to exclude them and lose their loyalty.

Edited by NHDisneylover

I hate to tell you, but you will NOT have access to the CL when you are Diamond--they changed that a few years ago just before we made Diamond. Now that we are almost D+, I figure they will change to keep D+ out of the CL too.

I hate to tell you, but you will NOT have access to the CL when you are Diamond--they changed that a few years ago just before we made Diamond. Now that we are almost D+, I figure they will change to keep D+ out of the CL too.

Yes, I know (we have only been sailing RCI three years, I did not even know diamonds ever were in the CL until this thread), but the diamond lounge also had the coffee machine and was available to sit in during the day--which we were looking forward to and that may now be gone. An entire week in the CL and I never ordered a single drink with alcohol--just Cokes--so the quiet space of a Diamond lounge (in most ships, I know it i not all) was appealing to me.

but the diamond lounge also had the coffee machine and was available to sit in during the day--which we were looking forward to and that may now be gone. An entire week in the CL and I never ordered a single drink with alcohol--just Cokes--so the quiet space of a Diamond lounge (in most ships, I know it i not all) was appealing to me.

That echoes the sentiment of how my SO feels. She does not drink, but did look forward to a quieter breakfast venue and likes different coffee drinks. 3 drinks an evening is plenty for me. If it is not for others, I understand and appreciate their disappointment. My disappointment lies in the same area as yours.

Sounds a bit absurd when you say "There's the Diamond Lounge; Diamond members not admitted". Maybe they will allow Diamond's access during daytime hours and reserve the evening for D+? That's palatable to me (though I don't make the rules and can't speak for anyone but myself)

That echoes the sentiment of how my SO feels. She does not drink, but did look forward to a quieter breakfast venue and likes different coffee drinks. 3 drinks an evening is plenty for me. If it is not for others, I understand and appreciate their disappointment. My disappointment lies in the same area as yours.

Sounds a bit absurd when you say "There's the Diamond Lounge; Diamond members not admitted". Maybe they will allow Diamond's access during daytime hours and reserve the evening for D+? That's palatable to me (though I don't make the rules and can't speak for anyone but myself)

That would be better! Lounge open to D and D+ except at cocktail hour when it is open to D+ and Ds get their 3 coupons.

We still have a quiet place to play Euchre throughout the day, and possibly meet some other frequent travelers (and H can have his better coffee).

I can use my coupons for Cokes, DH can have some wine, and I suppose the kids will not be given coupons that they can use towards sodas, even though they will be diamond in their own right, and have always had their own cabin (no third and fourth passenger rates have ever been paid for them on RCI, only full). Oh well, they will be of age soon enough--especially for sailing out of Europe ;)

I suppose the kids will not be given coupons that they can use towards sodas, even though they will be diamond in their own right

Interesting point - There are probably lots of younger Diamond members who could not drink anyways, but shouldn't they be able to get non-alcoholic drinks as they do now in the lounge?

Interesting point - There are probably lots of younger Diamond members who could not drink anyways, but shouldn't they be able to get non-alcoholic drinks as they do now in the lounge?

Children are not allowed in diamond lounge for cocktail hours so do not get free soda. If the family is in GS or above they are allowed in the CL and get free soda there.

Children are not allowed in diamond lounge for cocktail hours so do not get free soda. If the family is in GS or above they are allowed in the CL and get free soda there.

That varies by ship (based on my understanding). Certainly, the kids were in the CL and also (with a Diamond level friend) in the D lounge when we sailed in a suite and both the D and CL kids were given soda (teens). There were several other kids in the D lounge when we went in looking for ours (but there were still available seats).

I know at least 2 other times our kids have been friends with teens onboard who are D and meet their parents in the lounge for drinks before dinner.

These are all cruises in Europe.

Edited by NHDisneylover

No, I didn't pay my own way when I was 7 years old, unless washing cars and mowing lawns counts. I don't particularly care who has paid for what portion of your cruise fare. As a return of my gratitude I now am paying for my folks that paid for me, as well as paying for others who otherwise would probably not be able to afford to go with us. Just like I didn't pay for my meals when I was a child; I now get to enjoy the fruits of my labors and efforts by treating those that paid for me; they will be over tomorrow evening for a giant dinner feast. Would you care to join us? I won't be keeping tabs over who paid for what.

Isn't there a 20 year old Pinnacle member? Sure they never spent a dime of their own money; doesn't mean I feel like they would deserve to lose benefits that had been earned in their name.

Regardless, many thousands of dollars of my own money have been spent as I watch the loyalty rewards be diminished and watered down. I'm calling it like I see it. This isn't a promotion or enhancement, it's just a cost saving measure at the expense of perks being taken away.

No, and this is how bad rumors get started. :rolleyes:

I am amazed that RCCL has provided so much to those in the various categories. It is a very generous program. 40 nights (in a JS or higher) and one is Diamond. Six cruises, fewer if they are longer than 7 nights or if one sails solo is all it takes.

It appears that the majority of issues surround the free drinks. From reading these posts it seems that many want to get the most from this benefit and are complaining that X drinks are not enough. What should it be? I have said I am not a CL or DL police and don’t care ( nor do I know) how much one drinks or how long they stay in the lounge, but perhaps if folks treated the perk with restraint, there might not be such an issue.

I appears from what I read, the folks are complaining that 3 drinks are not enough or that they will drink all three voucher drinks by early evening and then go and then sit and suck up more drinks in the CL or DL. Really?

I wonder when RCCL offered a free cocktail hour(s) to the passengers if they had any idea that folks might camp out in a lounge for 3 or more hours and consume all they can. I recall more than once, the welcome letter recommended we only visit the lounge for evening cocktails with a short time span to coincide with our dinner schedule.

As one who frequents the DL or CL ( most every day) for morning coffee , continental breakfast and an afternoon latte, I can tell you that the place is EMPTY. We are often the only ones there.

Now – just a scary thought, if RCCL takes on Celebrity Elite practices ( as they seem to have done with the vouchers) , the Celebrity Elite Cocktail hours is (only) TWO hours ( 5-7 each night) and EXCLUDES the first cruise night as well as the night of a special Elite Officers party. Imagine the uproar if RCCL decides to shorten the time span?

I find it so interesting that so many are complaining about the benefit. It seems to be a lose/lose for RCCL. They provide an expensive fleet wide benefit (lose) and folks still complain (lose). If they provided nothing – then there would be nothing to complain about! Be careful about how you complain. Remember all the complaints about the welcome back gifts... well RCCL found a way to stop the bad mouthing.

M

First of all, remember that CC members make up a very small percentage of cruisers, and CC posters make up a small percentage of CC.

I also think that while some may wish to drink more than 3 drinks per evening, there are many who never go to the lounge at all and many who drink one, or maybe two drinks.

I am sure that it all averages out to a very low per person consumption.

:)

Maybe they will allow Diamond's access during daytime hours and reserve the evening for D+? That's palatable to me (though I don't make the rules and can't speak for anyone but myself)

That would be better! Lounge open to D and D+ except at cocktail hour when it is open to D+ and Ds get their 3 coupons.

Now THAT is a good idea!

A few months ago someone posted that a LA told them that a certian young man would probably be PC when he reached 25. A couple years out.

Exactly.

He is not 20 and Pinnacle. He is 23 and may be Pinnacle by the time he is 25.

NOT what our esteemed poster wrote.

First of all, remember that CC members make up a very small percentage of cruisers, and CC posters make up a small percentage of CC.

I also think that while some may wish to drink more than 3 drinks per evening, there are many who never go to the lounge at all and many who drink one, or maybe two drinks.

I am sure that it all averages out to a very low per person consumption.

:)

I go to the CL and drink one can or less of Sprite Zero. I admit that last week I drank one or two cocktails. I'm doing my share to keep the average low. :)

Exactly.

I did just meet a nice 13 year old D+ (his own points, cruising since age 3) in the CL last week. He is on cruises often since he is home schooled. Let's say ship schooled. He intends to be PC by age 18 and his mom seems to think it will happen. Apparently this is their goal.

Let's see the RCI news in 5 years as I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned it, IF it happens.

Exactly.

So I made a mistake and said 20 instead of 23 or 25. It's really not a big deal and in the grand scheme of things was not wildly off from accuracy.

I go to the CL and drink one can or less of Sprite Zero. I admit that last week I drank one or two cocktails. I'm doing my share to keep the average low. :)

Think the problem that RCI is trying to solve is that some were far more than making up for your low consumption - the old a few spoil it for all. I assume that the three coupons are in place of not in addition to drinks in the lounge. That seems reasonable and if someone wants more they can purchase them. Think of it as a savings of about $20 per day on your cruise.

I was afraid of this happening. I love going to the diamond lounge. We have late seating and usually would go after early seating left. No problem finding a seat. This sounds like something RCL wants to do to save money. If they keep taking away than we will go away.

Just heard from someone who received this email from RCCL regarding the Diamond Lounge.

You asked – we listened! Often we hear great ideas from our Crown & Anchor Society members that we are able to bring into action.During your upcoming transatlantic voyage onboard the Independence of the Seas®, you will be part of a pilot test to enhance the Loyalty experience onboard.We understand at times the Diamond lounge can be crowded, so we are excited to introduce a new option for you aboard the Independence of the Seas: A nightly happy hour from 5:00 - 8:00pm to be enjoyed at almost every venue throughout the ship!*

How? Free drink vouchers will be pre-loaded onto your SeaPass® card to enable you to enjoy the flexibility of up to three complimentary beverages at almost every bar throughout the ship. You can still sit back and relax while enjoying all of the amenities in the Diamond Lounge, plus all of the other options available to you!We look forward to hearing your feedback about this new experience and wish you a wonderful cruise holiday.Happy sailing!

I was afraid of this happening. I love going to the diamond lounge. We have late seating and usually would go after early seating left. No problem finding a seat. This sounds like something RCL wants to do to save money. If they keep taking away than we will go away.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)