Packing Tips and Tricks

travellink

I am a minimalist packer but I like things at hand.

I read this years ago on these boards.

A hanging "bag" w/ multiple plastic pockets ( these used to be used for lingerie) can hang in your closet and hold everything from band aids, sun lotions, motion bands. OTC meds, pins, needles, bug spray ,endless loot. My "cruise bag" now hangs in my closet year round. They fold easily and take very little space. I also use the drycleaner bags and baggies of all sizes. Socks, undies... all sorted to pop in the cabin/hotel drawers. The bags then hold wet/dirty things for the return.

For cruises I bring a highlighter for the dailies ( and still forget to go to many activities). I also use a plane carry on bag that doubles as a beach bag.

The problem with that portable, hanging, stacking contraption shown on the first video is that I would each square up to the top and then it would stand 5 feet higher than my suitcase. :rolleyes:

I always pack my clothes in drycleaner bags. Items come out at other end virtually wrinkle free :)

And I use wire hangers - that way I can just pull things out of the suitcase and hang them up straightaways.

I do, too! :)

I pack my dress shoes inside my husband's dress shoes.

Tucker in Texas

That works if you have a small foot and your DH has a large foot. My DH and I wear the same size shoe, although his are a bit wider.

Pack a electrical extension cord for all those things that need to be charged.

Pack a travel size bag of laundry detergent for washing in the sink if necessary.

Always pack your medications and anything important that can't easily be replaced in your carry on.

I stuff DH shoes with his socks and underwear...shoes keep their shape and its stuff he needs.

We always cross pack..a little concerned about my next trip..taken with a friend..no cross packing :(

I also use wire hangers and dry cleaners bags. Makes packing and unpacking easy, and most things arrive wrinkle free.

I did get a few tricks from the video...plastic wrap uner the lids...alligator clips for electrical cords.

Instead of a power bar/extension cord, we picked up a little power par (without a cord), that also has USB ports...works great for us.

I always put essential items in my carry-on so that if my suitcase does get lost, I can still get into the dining room and enjoy the pool deck. At minimum, I put my bathing suit, some black dress pants or a black skirt, dressy sandals, a nice top, shorts, a t-shirt and a change of underwear in my carry-on. It might get boring, but at least I'll be able to get by till I can buy some replacements if my suitcase is delayed or disappears.

If you have a suitcase each: Cross pack, so both of you have clothes if a suitcase get lost.

I always do this. Just make sure you cover al the bases..bathing suits, underwear, shirts, shorts, pants, dresses, etc in each bag. No point in cross packing if you neglect to put a bit of everything in each bag.

Archived