Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

I would say yes, unless they determine that they can successfully run the pod without cause for alarm. From one source he said that they attempted some interesting maneuvers on the Allure trying to fix the pod issue. It of course did not fix the issue..

So that would mean there is probably no easy fix and that a drydock is needed to fix the problem.

We just returned from allure eastern route and they as I previously stated said nothing as we boarded ship. They did end up shortening our port time in Nassau and st. Thomas.

Chris -

What time did you leave Nassau, and what time did you arrive in St. Thomas? Did you happen to notice the speed of the ship on the TV?

Aloha,

John

Hmmm.....

Interesting, considering the ship didn't arrive in St. Thomas until about 11:30/11:45? when it was scheduled for 10?

Either way, Thankyou for the info.

They said it didn't effect them.:) However, as per the theme of the thread it did effected the 5996 or so other cruisers on board. :mad:

RC needs to figure out some fix if possible or adjust Allure's official time table in ports. That way cruisers do not get surprised before boarding, that their ship is sailing at a slower speed and their port schedules had been shortened. Then cruisers can make their own choice on what to do. Either cancel their Allure cruise, switch to another ship, or keep their Allure cruise if the shorter time frames in port is not that important to them.

I guess to know in advance would be the fairest to the customer. I hate to mention the word credit, but if RC knows this is a constant issue for every sailing till the issue is fixed should their be a small one? Just throwing it out there. Not saying that I am a fan of the idea, but it is a suggestion.

Edited by A&L_Ont
Thought a bit more about it...

Yes, curious to what the speed of the ship was most of the time. Also, did you experience any rocking, more movement than normally on a ship?

I was on the Allure last week (20oct -27oct), and for the first five days, we felt nothing. It was as smooth as silk. For the last two days there was some rocking, but that was caused by something rather novel.. The weather and the seas. We had a 30 knot headwind, and the seas were pretty rough.

Again, the ship is not going to rock in any observable amount as a result of the currently unused pod compared to the effect the weather has on huge ship.

Edited by reedl

We just returned from allure eastern route and they as I previously stated said nothing as we boarded ship. They did end up shortening our port time in Nassau and st. Thomas. They told us once at sea later on. I guess they wanted to make sure we could not tell anyone on CC (LOL)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

How was your trip?

Did the adjusted port times cause you any problems?

Were you able to get any info about the problem/possible fix?

Our TA just spoke with RCI rep to try to determine if the problem will be fixed any time soon. The DH is not willing to sail on a ship that has a known problem.

The rep did at least admit that there is a problem and stated that the itinerary has been "changed" as of the current sailing.

Not enough for the DH, so we cancelled and will wait till after it is fixed.

Our TA just spoke with RCI rep to try to determine if the problem will be fixed any time soon. The DH is not willing to sail on a ship that has a known problem.

The rep did at least admit that there is a problem and stated that the itinerary has been "changed" as of the current sailing.

Maybe you should consider a land vacation.

Why not book Oasis? ken

I guess to know in advance would be the fairest to the customer. I hate to mention the word credit, but if RC knows this is a constant issue for every sailing till the issue is fixed should their be a small one? Just throwing it out there. Not saying that I am a fan of the idea, but it is a suggestion.

The only passengers who conceivably might be harmed by modest alterations in an itinerary are those who ignored the admonishments of the cruise line and its passenger contract, and booked non-refundable excursions with very tight times.

Given that the contract allows for itinerary alterations at any time, one wonders why anyone would expect some sort of payment.

Did they also tell you that there is nothing wrong with the ship?

As I expected the agent would not confirm what we have seen on CC about the center Izapod bearing issue. We'll find out next Sunday but I don't have any excursions that will be effected. 3rd time on the ship and it is our destination anyway. After 38 cruises I have seen the ports many times.

I wonder if a bearing can be repaired without dry docking?

The only passengers who conceivably might be harmed by modest alterations in an itinerary are those who ignored the admonishments of the cruise line and its passenger contract, and booked non-refundable excursions with very tight times.

Given that the contract allows for itinerary alterations at any time, one wonders why anyone would expect some sort of payment.

I don't expect payment. Given that the contract makes no mention of RCI having to be honest about anything do you feel it is ok for them to keep telling folks that nothing is wrong with the ship? It's all about the contract, right?

It seems to me there is a relatively simple solution to the problem until the ship can dry dock.

Have Allure only sail Western and Oasis only sail Eastern. There would be some logistical hurdles, but it may be the best play.

That would be relatively simple solution to you? :confused:

Exactly why I said I am not a fan of the idea.

However, if the line knows that they will be delayed, until repairs are made at some point in time, I see it to be different than an exceptional circumstance such as a medical emergency, storm deviation, or rescue at sea.

Weekly expected deviations are somehow different than special situations in my mind. That being said if you are on board you do have the ability to eat more of their food and consume more of their energy as they are not tied up in port.

I wouldn't expect anything from the cruise line but it would be nice to see them adapt their effected Allure times in port until the problem has been corrected. That would be fair for the line and the cruiser.

I don't expect payment. Given that the contract makes no mention of RCI having to be honest about anything do you feel it is ok for them to keep telling folks that nothing is wrong with the ship? It's all about the contract, right?

Kind of like the airline keeping the passengers in the dark as they wait for an update as they are stuck at the airport. Ignorance can be bliss. However, when you are part of a cruise information community this "one off" situation/occurrence is quickly brought to light. The slower cruising speeds can be compared to a constant issue like a backache, that continues to linger and not a hangnail that is normally better in a day or two.

We sail on Allure in March 2015 and I can't wait to get on board, fix or no fix. As I have said before, I just need to be on board.:)

Kind of like the airline keeping the passengers in the dark as they wait for an update as they are stuck at the airport. Ignorance can be bliss. However, when you are part of a cruise information community this "one off" situation/occurrence is quickly brought to light. The slower cruising speeds can be compared to a constant issue like a backache, that continues to linger and not a hangnail that is normally better in a day or two.

We sail on Allure in March 2015 and I can't wait to get on board, fix or no fix. As I have said before, I just need to be on board.:)

Ok, I will TRY to adopt your attitude. BTW, I could help you out with both your backache and your hangnail. ;) :D

Edited by Ocean Boy

Ok, I will TRY to adopt your attitude. BTW, I could help you out with both your backache and your hangnail. ;) :D

I wrecked my back last Monday and have 2 weeks to get feeling better before Oasis. It is at 90% right now, and a dull pain to times a roar. Last week it was at 5% and electric crippling pulses. I saw the Dr on Thursday and I am now on APO-meloxicam. I guess at 42 old age is creeping me;). No hang nail right now though.

That flow rider is calling me and so is the sea. A positive view is a wonderful thing. We need to ride together, and WJ too.:D

Andrew

This is a known problem that they are keeping silent about untill you board the ship for the cruise. The media would have field day if 2 of the pods fail, let alone all 3 breaking down rendering the ship to be adrift. The contract says a lot of things, but nothing that a good lawyer couldn't rip apart in front of a jury.