Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

I wonder if they will go ahead and replace the bearings on all 3 azipods or just the center one. Seems like while they have access to them they would want to do all 3 at once so as not to take a chance that they have to do it again before the full dry dock.

I wonder if they will go ahead and replace the bearings on all 3 azipods or just the center one. Seems like while they have access to them they would want to do all 3 at once so as not to take a chance that they have to do it again before the full dry dock.

That would make sence..

We docked in St. Thomas around 1:30pm. Strong winds and the slower speed prevented us from making it on time.

The repair question was brought up at the Captains Corner. They will dock the ship in Nassau and raise the stern up out of the water to gain access to the pod. They will just be removing the propeller and the shaft to replace the bearing. About a two day task, but they are giving extra time just incase. Meanwhile the crew will be doing spring cleaning on the ship.

Dan Clarke

Dan's Diesel Performance

We just got off the Allure a couple of weeks ago. The sailing was very smooth and we docked on time at each port. No problem.

We had smooth sailing on our 1/19 Allure cruise. We were into St. Thomas early..ported a little after 10:00am instead of 11:00am. We were off the ship by 10:45am.

We docked in St. Thomas around 1:30pm. Strong winds and the slower speed prevented us from making it on time.

The repair question was brought up at the Captains Corner. They will dock the ship in Nassau and raise the stern up out of the water to gain access to the pod. They will just be removing the propeller and the shaft to replace the bearing. About a two day task, but they are giving extra time just incase. Meanwhile the crew will be doing spring cleaning on the ship.

Dan Clarke

Dan's Diesel Performance

I'm wondering if the crew who rely on gratuities are recompensed in any way?

I'm wondering if the crew who rely on gratuities are recompensed in any way?

We were on a RC ship in the summer with a bar server who had been on the Grandeur just before the fire and still had many friends working on there. We asked about what happened to them due to loss of gratuities and he told us that RC took care of them so that they didn't lose out.

We will be on the Allure on March 2, the first cruise after this so called dry dock. Hope they are able to complete these repairs with no problems. RCCL will have their hands filled taking care of this. I know the ship should be looking real good from having a week to clean with no passengers.

We were on a RC ship in the summer with a bar server who had been on the Grandeur just before the fire and still had many friends working on there. We asked about what happened to them due to loss of gratuities and he told us that RC took care of them so that they didn't lose out.

So glad to hear that!!!

We too are booked on the March 2nd sailing of Allure. I have been following this thread closely. I am very intrigued as to how they will dry dock this enormous ship. If what the recent post say is true, that they intend to raise the aft end up out of the water, would assume the angle of the deck would be tough for the crew and anyone on board to get much done. I too expect we will have a very clean ship for our sailing but I am curious as hell as to how they achieve all this in Nassau. Hoping there will be pictures or youtube videos. :eek:

Since the ship is almost 1200 feet long the angle won't be too bad. I'm sure the crew will have to take plates off tables and secure glasses and bottles in the bars, but nothing to extreme I would think. Also with no passengers, luggage, food, and water on board the pods won't be as deep in the water as they are when filled to capacity.

Dan Clarke

Dan's Diesel Performance

Since the ship is almost 1200 feet long the angle won't be too bad. I'm sure the crew will have to take plates off tables and secure glasses and bottles in the bars, but nothing to extreme I would think. Also with no passengers, luggage, food, and water on board the pods won't be as deep in the water as they are when filled to capacity.

Dan Clarke

Dan's Diesel Performance

Thanks Dan. That makes sense. Doing some rough math in my head at lunch i came up with something like <4% angle. My over active imagination had me thinking about the Titanic movie with the screws in the air. Certainly not that dramatic of a visual. :cool:

I can't wait to sail on March 2nd!

Thanks Dan. That makes sense. Doing some rough math in my head at lunch i came up with something like <4% angle. My over active imagination had me thinking about the Titanic movie with the screws in the air. Certainly not that dramatic of a visual. :cool:

I can't wait to sail on March 2nd!

But it would be great to see pictures. Better yet a video.

Edited by Big_G

• 2 weeks later...
Allure of the Seas is on the port schedule to leave Port Everglades for her 1 week drydock at 11 am EST Sunday Feb 23.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com

I thought that they might want to get the ship over to Freeport as soon as possible. I wonder if it will return to Ft. Lauderdale the following Saturday after Oasis gets out of port or return at its usual time on Sunday morning?

I wonder if it will return to Ft. Lauderdale the following Saturday after Oasis gets out of port or return at its usual time on Sunday morning?

I guess that depends if the fix works! ;)

They must be chugging Maalox at RCI HQ this week.

I'm sure they will have Allure back at Pier 18 waiting for you guys. Royal wouldn't want to risk missing another week of revenue. The parts and maintenance guys probably have an entire skid worth of Red Bull to make sure this thing gets done. Maybe someone cruising into Freeport in the next week could take a picture of her for us?

I know that what you are saying is what I believed before my Oasis cruise, but I met an Austrian guy who fell in love with the flowrider, and he wanted to do a TA on a Oasis ship after his back to back cruise on the Oasis. I told him that I figured that the Allure would be doing a refurb sometime in either 2015 or 2016. He then went and hunted down the loyalty ambassador and was told in certain terms that the Allure will not be doing that TA in either 2015 or 2016. Of course, things you are told by Austrian's in the flowrider line may or may not be with any relation to the truth....:D

That said, some of the people posting here generally speak truthfully, but I am from the show me state and until I see the Allure TA for booking, I remain completely skeptical of everything I read here and have Austrians tell me...:eek:

jc

Well, it is official that the Allure is going to Europe for the 2015 summer season and then it's dry dock will follow. :)

Was hoping to sail on Allure next May but apparently it will be at drydock for maintaince for a couple weeks... darn! :(

By next May 2015 Allure will be going to/in Europe for the summer. Her 5 year maintenance dry dock will be in September 2015 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Today is supposed to be the start of the repair week off??

Wonder how long she will be in P.E. before heading to the yard.

It's scheduled to depart at 11AM per the link below. Sometimes those times are only a guesstimate for scheduling purposes. If they are waiting for parts material or tech people it can be at any time they are ready.

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

It's scheduled to depart at 11AM per the link below. Sometimes those times are only a guesstimate for scheduling purposes. If they are waiting for parts material or tech people it can be at any time they are ready.

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

You can watch her leave on the webcam hopefully close to the 11 am time. he is back in port since about 5 am or so

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com