NEW LIVE from the Royal 10/29-1//10

paulmichael

Agree CWS, Chumleys did take over the Retreat Pool and all were not welcome.

10/29 cruise was a bit touch adn go with staff. They just had a new group and it was clear that many were still learnign the ship. This was for the most part on an even keel by the 11/3 cruise.

I did notice the floors in the Horizon Court incredible slippery when they mopped up a spill and saw several cruisers crash to the floor. I bet the tiles get changed before too long.

The ship is beautiful and big. Easy to get around although many complained about the elevators, it was a matter of gettign used to the increased size of ship and passengers. Most uesd the same elevators rather than walking a bit.

One thing I noticed and seems more and more of is the scooters. Please stop people! Walk the pounds off for goodness sake. I saw a dozen ridign around blockign hallways and then jump up to grab extra brownies in the pastry aisle. Enough!

They need to balance the AC a bit more. Some areas were freezing and others were very warm. Our stateroom was warm until in the room for a few hours since the AC shuts off if there is no cruise card in the switch. Those familar with many hotels in Europe will understand this.

One thing I noticed and seems more and more of is the scooters. Please stop people! Walk the pounds off for goodness sake. I saw a dozen ridign around blockign hallways and then jump up to grab extra brownies in the pastry aisle. Enough
I imagine if someone is using a scooter, they really need it to enjoy their cruise. Actually, on a cruise it takes a lot of walking to have an effect on the pounds. A better solution might be to have some pastries at an accessible level for those in chairs and scooters.

One thing I noticed and seems more and more of is the scooters. Please stop people! Walk the pounds off for goodness sake. I saw a dozen ridign around blockign hallways and then jump up to grab extra brownies in the pastry aisle. Enough!

Please don't be so quick to judge. Because a person is able to stand or even take a few steps, does not mean they can walk 50 or 100 feet, let alone make it from the dining room to the Princess theater, for example.

By the way, there is a very small number of cabins available for scooter users or others with disabilities.

I am on my way to board. I will try to post a few times during the week but will mostly be in st Thomas when I can use my phone. We are all excited . I don't have a computer and won't be doing minutes at the Internet cafe but will try to give a thorough review when I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on my way to board. I will try to post a few times during the week but will mostly be in st Thomas when I can use my phone. We are all excited . I don't have a computer and won't be doing minutes at the Internet cafe but will try to give a thorough review when I return.

Have a marvelous cruise! :D Look forward to your report.

Have an amazing cruise Gracie. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the ship. Bon voyage.

Does anyone know the website that shows how many ships will be Port Everglades any given day?

Hi - this one works also. And if you go back to the home page, you can scroll down and find Cruise Destinations showing ships in a specific port around the world.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-fort-lauderdale-florida.html

Looking forward to your posts. Will you start a new thread?

I recognize your name from Dave's Everything Royal thread! I am so excited for you and hope your time aboard the Royal is more and better than you could ever have dreamed of. I can't wait to hear about it!!

Some of you might enjoy this photo of the Royal Princess sail away from St. Martin at sunset:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-royal-princess-sails-away-from-st.html?m=1

Thank you for the photo, she was so beautiful all lit up like that with the dramatic sunset as a backdrop! I also enjoyed your blog. I gave the people on my roll call the link Dave posted. I hope they take the time to read it.

Your blog is an absolute delight to read! Thank you for posting and sharing your many thoughts on Royal Princess. :D

I just now saw this. Thank you, Dave, for your kind words!

My DH and I have discussed the Royal Princess a lot over the last two weeks. He is totally sold on the ship; I am sold with some minor reservations that aren't going to change so I'm not going to dwell on them. We are looking forward to many cruises on the Royal next year!

ETA: I think there are aome service issues on the ship right now that some are encountering and other (luckily) are not. But those can be easily resolved with a change in crew members or practices. We've encountered several people (even some here in the hotel we're staying at) who liked the ship but weren't totally bowled over. I'm confident that things that can improve will improve.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Bon Voyage Gracie!

We just returned from a very nice cruise on the HAL Eurodam and I longingly gazed at the RP from our balcony as we sailed out of Port Everglades. Had a great time, but missed the Piazza, the IC, the great shows, the on demand TV, and the wonderful beds, etc. Was told the beds on HAL are great, but they definitely are not as good as the RP!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

My DH and I have discussed the Royal Princess a lot over the last two weeks. He is totally sold on the ship; I am sold with some minor reservations that aren't going to change so I'm not going to dwell on them. We are looking forward to many cruises on the Royal next year!

ETA: I think there are aome service issues on the ship right now that some are encountering and other (luckily) are not. But those can be easily resolved with a change in crew members or practices. We've encountered several people (even some here in the hotel we're staying at) who liked the ship but weren't totally bowled over. I'm confident that things that can improve will improve.

I am completely enthralled by your blog and reading it has now become one of the highlights of my day! Have a wonderful cruise and I look forward to hearing all about it!

I thought I read the blog but am confused . :confused: Have you already sailed on the Royal?

I thought that was in the future.

This really has nothing to do with our trip, but I thought I would share. Our neighbors just came back from a trip on NCL Epic. They are early 60's, extremely active, seasoned cruisers. They complained about no real Promanade, small cabins/balconies and feeling nickled and dimed throughout the cruise. (Does any of this sound familiar?). They hated "Freestyle Dining", and especially that even on "Formal" night, t-shirts with slogans and jeans were acceptable in all restaurants. Felt they never got to know their servers and that for the first time ever did nothing extra for the wait staff. There were also specialty shows (Blue Group, Cirque, Legends of Music) that needed tickets and, for some, additional fees. They also did not like having sink in bedroom part of cabin.

They went to St. Thomas and St. Maartens and loved the island stops. They said they would have made some official complaints but went as part of charitable group with discounted fares and did not want to create problems for the group. Ordinarily I would not share views of others, but I respect their opinion and thought it was indicative of the trends we are all seeing in cruise ships.

This is the mobile phone app for Marine Traffic AIS. If you have an iPhone look for the app titled 'Marine Traffic Ships and Wind' for $3.99. :D

Got it, thanks! This is going to be fun....I am on the coast in New Hampshire, I bet it will be interesting even up here!