Depressed - Steroid weight gain and clothes for Caribbean

lawblond7

As some of you know I was in the hospital the end of September and I have been on steroids - prednisone since then and I will be on them for at least another month. In addition to making me crankier than normal - they have put almost 20 pounds on me in the last month - despite no change in diet - actually eating less and healthier. I am now going on a Caribbean cruise for Christmas and feeling depressed. The weird thing being my clothes still fit 12/14 but I just feel huge and the thought of wearing a bathing suit (I do have 2 cute swim dresses) is just making me depressed as we booked this cruise just after I got out of the hospital so we all could try to relax and now I am getting depressed and stressed about clothing and people thinking I am a beached whale. See I used to be an 8/10 til about 7 years ago when I was forced to stop running and had my knees operated on. Then until about 2 years ago I was a 10/12 when my back started to hurt - so it is just going on and on. So can people try to post some cute ideas to help me feel better and what to wear to help me deal with beach, etc. And other issue I generally only wear black so this will be different.

Thanks

Sharon

12/14? Oh, baby, there will be a lot of fluffier women on board, and on shore. I'll be one of them. I think your worrying to much. You know its only temporary until your off the meds, you can look sleek and slim then. Now, just look your best, whatever size that is, and have fun! Quit stressing about weight. Nobody will point fingers or stare. Please go and have a good time.

Relax, breathe.

Sorry I can't be more help with what to wear I wear clothes for really fluffy ladies.

You know you will not be the biggest woman on the ship....and you also know that no one is going to notice or judge you. No worries.

You have to do what you have to do for your health. Once you're off that nasty prednisone...all will be good!

Cruise...relax...and do NOT worry about your appearance.....I'm assuming that your SO will love you no matter what!

The steroid is what's making you hate yourself....it's god-awful nasty stuff. Take it until you don't have to....and get on with your life. You are better than the drugs!

Make sure you are drinking twice the amount of water that you normally would. Steroids will make you swell up and retain water. Dealing with cancer I and others I am around go through this a lot since we get prescribed steroids after chemo treatments. If you are not gaining from eating then look carefully at your liquid intake and also reduce sodium wherever possible. Give up caffeine if you drink it regularly as well. This will help with reducing that swelling and bloated feeling. You can also make sure you're getting enough pottasium. You can also discuss using pills such as lasics to help reduce water retention (I gain 20+ pounds during chemo but it goes back off within one week).

As for how you look, remember that you look alive and active. That's a much better look than being confined somewhere and unable to enjoy life. :) You're healthy and this is only a temporary issue. If you need to go buy a few new items for casual wear then go do so... so that you won't feel as self conscious.

Edited by sherilyn70

As some of you know I was in the hospital the end of September and I have been on steroids - prednisone since then and I will be on them for at least another month. In addition to making me crankier than normal - they have put almost 20 pounds on me in the last month - despite no change in diet - actually eating less and healthier. I am now going on a Caribbean cruise for Christmas and feeling depressed. The weird thing being my clothes still fit 12/14 but I just feel huge and the thought of wearing a bathing suit (I do have 2 cute swim dresses) is just making me depressed as we booked this cruise just after I got out of the hospital so we all could try to relax and now I am getting depressed and stressed about clothing and people thinking I am a beached whale. See I used to be an 8/10 til about 7 years ago when I was forced to stop running and had my knees operated on. Then until about 2 years ago I was a 10/12 when my back started to hurt - so it is just going on and on. So can people try to post some cute ideas to help me feel better and what to wear to help me deal with beach, etc. And other issue I generally only wear black so this will be different.

Thanks

Sharon

Sharon, that's the steroids talking! I've been there too. The most fashionable thing any woman can wear is a smile! You are beautiful, so don't sweat the small stuff! Go and have a great time and enjoy your family! The Caribbean is magical, you'll be having so much fun you won't have time to be depressed! :D

I am going through something similar but it is a thyroid problem and medication. Not to mention going through the change. When I booked this cruise a year ago I swore I would be in a bikini. I have eaten all the right things and gained a pound. I am taking my 23 yr old on this cruise

who a couple years ago almost didn't make it through an auto accident.

So instead of getting myself depressed about my weight, I am going to

make every minute count. As far as your clothing for your cruise.

Find your body part that you like the best and asset that. Have fun and

wear things you might not have tried before.

Make sure you are drinking twice the amount of water that you normally would. Steroids will make you swell up and retain water. Dealing with cancer I and others I am around go through this a lot since we get prescribed steroids after chemo treatments. If you are not gaining from eating then look carefully at your liquid intake and also reduce sodium wherever possible. Give up caffeine if you drink it regularly as well. This will help with reducing that swelling and bloated feeling. You can also make sure you're getting enough pottasium. You can also discuss using pills such as lasics to help reduce water retention (I gain 20+ pounds during chemo but it goes back off within one week).

As for how you look, remember that you look alive and active. That's a much better look than being confined somewhere and unable to enjoy life. :) You're healthy and this is only a temporary issue. If you need to go buy a few new items for casual wear then go do so... so that you won't feel as self conscious.

Sherilyn, so good to "See" you. Hope things are going well for you!

Cheers Patti xx

A lot of us have been there as well. In my case it's asthma and steroid meds. Keep in mind that your mood has a direct connection to the meds you're taking and both it and your weight gain are only temporary. There is an end to this. Make sure you pack only the clothes that make you feel good and comfortable. Anything else - leave at home. You are not going to stand out in the crowd especially if you are at ease and having a good time. It's a bad attitude that everyone notices.

I put on 20 pounds after my hysterectomy in February. I have spent the last 6 months trying to lose it for my cruise in December. I give up. So, rather than trying to wear the clothes I had, I went out and bought myself a couple of new things that although I don't like the size that I had to buy, they do fit me better, and make me feel better about myself. I shopped at Ross, and got them for next to nothing. Maybe if you pick yourself up a couple of new dresses or outfits for the trip, it will boost your confidence. I bought one style dress where the skirt part is fitted, but the top is blousey, and hides my tummy, and I bought 2 dresses that have a thin "sash" type belt so that you can tie it, then blouse the top over the belt. I also found some shorts that have elastic in the waist, but, they are still cute to me! Hope this helps!

Cindy

Edited by wrcjr98

Thanks

Sharon

We are way more critical of ourselves than others are of us. I don't think anyone will be thinking you are a beached whale and even if they do have mean thoughts - so what. They don't know your situation or what you've been through so they can go kick rocks. You're beautiful and your smile (put one on) will reflect that.

Okay now on to the ideas even though I think you have nothing to worry about.

I've always liked 50s style clothing because women were curvier back then and the clothes were made to flatter the curvy woman's figure. I'm not a 12/14 but I definitely have girls and a rear that aren't compact and aren't going anywhere anytime soon so I have to dress for my hourglass shape.

So...I suggest:

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/

I haven't scanned for your particular size but there are some really cute outfits on there you might like.

Also, for beach cover up or just as a sundress you might want to consider something like: (I just looked up sundresses and sorted by most popular.)

http://www.amazon.com/One-size-fits-most-Tube-Dress-Coverup-Zinnia/dp/B004Y6R61M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383144583&sr=8-5&keywords=sundresses

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEERMTU/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIOZJKU/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reviews that I see on amazon appear to be good. Maybe if you check things out along this line you can find something that makes you feel pretty until you can get back to your desired size. :)

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Thanks you are correct and I know many have it worse off - It hink jsut clearly depressed = I put something on and all I see is FAT - but then you are right I am alive- my 3 boys 16, 16 & 20 who all suffer from a genetic metabolic disease and one I was told would not live to see 4 or walk or talk he is 16 and does all of the above. Thanks for putting things in perspective

How are you feeling?

hugs

sharon

12/14? Oh, baby, there will be a lot of fluffier women on board, and on shore. I'll be one of them. I think your worrying to much. You know its only temporary until your off the meds, you can look sleek and slim then. Now, just look your best, whatever size that is, and have fun! Quit stressing about weight. Nobody will point fingers or stare. Please go and have a good time.

Relax, breathe.

Sorry I can't be more help with what to wear I wear clothes for really fluffy ladies.

Thanks - I am about a 14+ at the moment - cannot get into my 12s but I have shopped for several years at Jessica London as I am large chested and the woman cut dresses there fit me much better I did just order a few things from there and travel smith and while I still feel huge in what I got the new clothes made me smile. I know in my mind people won't be pointing at me and whenever I say I am fat my boys are like no you are not - I think it is mental. I think seeing 20+ pounds on a scale in a month freaked me out

I plan to have a good time an do nothing but relax

Thanks

Sharon

This is a temporary weight gain from the steroids. I would go to Jjill's clearance section and buy some clothes for your trip . JJill covers while looking stylish add some scarves & jewelry and you are good to go .

I love JJill and have a lot of dresses from there - wore a ton on my cruise this summer in the Baltics. I have 3 of the short linen tank dress (L) in black, blue and coral and I lived in them and like that I can wear it for day or night - throw on a sweater or a wrap. I really do not like to wear pants - I love maxi dresses and a few shorter ones so I jut need to find the ones that I do not feel as fat in. Luckily I love the Jjill linen dresses and I did see they had some on clearance - have to go check

Thanks

Sharon

I think I will try to find a few more things on clearance. I have 2 formal dresses one I need to raise the straps and close the front a bit - I bought this for our summer cruise but it was too big and I never had time to take it in so will do so - and I have a red dress I got at Ross for about $20 and a gown and I love it and it looks good. thanks for the kind words all and at least trying to make me less depressed - I agree combination of the steroids and my prception of myself in the mirror

Hugs

sharon

Sharon, you are a beautiful woman, no matter what you weigh. Yes, YOU know you weigh more than you used to, but nobody on the cruise will know that. Think flowy and light fabrics, decide to embrace your inner earth mother, and have a BLAST.

Just as a counterpoint for thought.... I had lost weight this year, and was wearing an 8-10. After my brother died, unexpectedly and horribly, I lost a good deal more weight, enough that many of my 8's are too big. (for reference, I am 5'8", 132 pounds). I don't feel beautiful, I feel drawn and tired. Weight and size are just numbers and all in our minds.

Funny thing. It doesn't matter if you are a fluffy or skinny malinky if you put your chin up and shoulders back your whole posture and mood improve and people notice your confidence not your size. So, even though we know you are feeling a little down throw back those shoulders put your cruise clothes on and walk onto that ship as though you own it.

Have the happy fun cruise you booked.

Cheers, h

Sharon, you are a beautiful woman, no matter what you weigh. Yes, YOU know you weigh more than you used to, but nobody on the cruise will know that. Think flowy and light fabrics, decide to embrace your inner earth mother, and have a BLAST.

Just as a counterpoint for thought.... I had lost weight this year, and was wearing an 8-10. After my brother died, unexpectedly and horribly, I lost a good deal more weight, enough that many of my 8's are too big. (for reference, I am 5'8", 132 pounds). I don't feel beautiful, I feel drawn and tired. Weight and size are just numbers and all in our minds.

See I am 5'4 1/2 and at 145 I was a size 8/10 fit and running the marine corp marathon a at 41 (FYI I turned 50 in July). Then had both knees scoped had to stop running and put on 20. Was still working out but a year ago started to have back issues which in turn was my hip etc so had to stop hot yoga which I loved. So now here we are and steroids and can't work out plus I quit smoking cold turkey January 2, 2013.

This is a picture of me at the end of July in Charlotte 5 days before my birthday. I wore that outfit yesterday to work it fits etc and I really don't look different I just guess with all the Dr appointments the number on scale bothered me as I am also out of shape.

I did order some new dresses today also so we will see

ImageUploadedByForums1383165961.852736.jpg.6b421ab6a2e9d5f891e7533dbf7a4ea2.jpg

Thanks all

Sharon

Sharon -

Sorry you are going through a rough patch. It sounds as if you were pretty active before your medical issues, so along with the effects of the steroids you may be going through some exercise withdrawal. Those endorphins from exercise make you feel pretty good. Would it be at all possible for you to do some easy/beginner yoga? I had a ruptured disk in my neck 4 years ago and that is what I switched to during my recovery. I love the yoga zone beginner videos - available on Amazon. They are old, but good. Yoga might help you feel better - it did for me.

On the clothes front there has been a lot of good suggestions. I think clothing that is flowing is a good idea. I love a tunic style top - especially in cotton or linen for your trip. And remember size 12/14 is the average size for women :)

Hang in there Sharon!!! I understand what you're going through. I take steriods for arthritis. I hate it but it's the only med that works. I've gained about 30 lbs. since I started taking them. But it's either deal with it or I can't walk. I've always been small and I'm pretty short too so the weight shows up considerably. No, I can't wear my pretty cruise dresses that I wore before but I just keep looking for things that suit the body I have now. And it doesn't stop me from cruising.

Look for styles and colors that make you feel better and have a great time! :)

Oops! Just saw that you were a hot yoga practitioner before your health problems. So I don't know if my suggestion was particularly helpful, but I know you know how great yoga can make you feel.

I am waiting for some clearance so I can go back to hot yoga - I actually love the heat and the 90 minute session burns off 950-1200 calories. With my knee and hip (I eventually need a replacement - trying to put it off) I will never be able to contort my body into certain positions but the heat was so healing. Just need to get a few doctors hematologist, Cardiologist, GI, neurologist, ortho and internist to clear me - lol

But yes it did make me feel better. I would love it in reality if I could get back to playing tennis - I was a top junior tennis player in HS and so forth and right now I really cannot play because I cannot run or move very well. I tried to do a clinic last winter and after the 3rd class I was done.

Sharon

Hang in there Sharon!!! I understand what you're going through. I take steriods for arthritis. I hate it but it's the only med that works. I've gained about 30 lbs. since I started taking them. But it's either deal with it or I can't walk. I've always been small and I'm pretty short too so the weight shows up considerably. No, I can't wear my pretty cruise dresses that I wore before but I just keep looking for things that suit the body I have now. And it doesn't stop me from cruising.

Look for styles and colors that make you feel better and have a great time! :)

See you are in Virginia too - Northern VA here. I was placed on the steroids for inflammation and arthritis (the reason I need my hip replaced) and as much as I complain about the steroids the past 4 weeks - since discharge from the hospital on 10/1 I have had the least amount of pain in the last year or so and that include 3 epidurals in my back. And I agree - this week I was actually able to wear my heels (I lived in high heels and I admit it I am a shoe whore) for several hours and not die in pain. And I agree I try to find this that look good on me - and generally it is only black - but when I cruise with my mom I need to ensure I have some color :) I really do not like color so that is an issue but I am trying - I did but a red formal gown for the cruise this summer that I loved and still fits and I will be taking that

Sharon

Just my thoughts on the hip replacement .... I had one last year and it's one of the best things I've ever done. Three months after I went to Las Vegas and walked and walked. After a year I felt NO pain at all and can tie my shoelaces (which I couldn't do for years.) I will say I've heard the knee is a more difficult recovery.

Also, the weight gain from the steroids can't be good for either your hip or knee joints. Just my opinion, of course, from one who's been there.;):)